Hill B Cemetery
"Chapel Hill B","Cemetery","22
Jul 1917","Chapel Hill B","This cemetery
is located in the northeast quadrant of Red River County, Texas.
GPS COORDINATES: Datum WGS84: 33 Deg 45.980N, 95 Deg 00.790W,
El 398 ft. OBIT: CLARKSVILLE TIMES 16 Oct 1969 has mention of
this cemetery and has location north of Hopewell Community (Chapel
Hill Baptist Church also referred to). On 14 May 1926 an instrument
was made conveying 1 acre of the David Bruton survey from Bowie
Co TX to Chapel Hill Cemetery Association and duly filed for
record on 24 Sep 1926 in Book CH Vol 118 Page 202. On 1 Dec 1999
Lawrence and Sue Dale set out to find this lost cemetery. With
the help of Gene Monkhouse and Randy Stringer, after over a mile
drive to the northeast from Hopewell Community and a 1/2 mile
walk round-trip into the big woods we finally located the old
water well and the cornerstone of the old church. The inscription
on it was 'Chapel Hill Baptist Church 22 June 1913, Rev. E. Banks,
Pastor & Rev. A. S. Russell, supporter'. After a search of about
an hour we were able to come up with several marked graves. These
burials were duly recorded. The oldest marked burial is that
of Rev. A. S. Russell on 4 May 1918. The oldest recorded burial
we have is that of Beauty Alberta Nunley who died on 22 Jul 1917.
We visited the site again on 2 Mar 2004 and took the GPS readings.
While there we photographed all markers. The old water well casing
was not found on this trip."