Hickory Grove Cemetery,24 Jan 1876","Hickory
Grove","This cemetery is located in the northwest quadrant
of Red River County, Texas. GPS COORDINATES: Datum WGS84: 33
Deg 47.354N, 95 Deg 14.142W. From Woodland take FM 195 east to
the intersection with CR 2242S, Take CR 2242S south for 8/10
mile to a fork in the road. Take the right fork, an old logging
road, and proceed south easterly for 7/10 mile on foot. The cemetery
is about 150 ft to the left in the woods and has been marked
with flourescent tape by the loggers. Size is about 60 by 75
ft. The only marked burial here is that of A. C. Miller, wife
of Joseph A. Miller and she died on 24 Jan 1876. From the Red
River County records, Book 10 page 521, deed for 2.5 acres of
land for use as a public neighborhood schoolhouse and for religious
worship for all denominations of the white population, being
a part of the headright of Whitfield Moore, about 18 miles northwest
from Clarksville, dated 2 Oct 1884. Also, on 5 Dec 1917, the
land is transferred to the county judge for use by the people
of Hickory Grove school district recorded in Book 89 page 323.
There is no mention of a cemetery on the grounds in either document.
We were on site on 2 August 2004 and took the GPS Coordinates.
We were led to the site by Larry and Mary Ann Hoskins and accompanied
by Johnie Lee."