Lanes Chapel Cemetery, 26 Oct 1849,"This
cemetery is located in the southeast quadrant of Red River County,
Texas. GPS COORDINATES: Datum WGS84: 33 Deg 35.104N, 94 Deg 59.584W.
Lanes Chapel Cemetery can be reached by going east on Hwy 82
out of Clarksville, then turning south onto FM 412 for 1.9 miles
to the intersection with FM 3390. Take FM 3390 east for 9/10
mile and the cemetery is on the right and well marked. There
is an instrument dated 26 Nov 1879 and filed for record 5 Dec
1879 in Book CH Vol 1 Page 1 where W. W. Walker transferred 2
acres of the Elisha Bruton survey to Lanes Chapel Cemetery. Another
deed transfers 2 acres of the Elisha Bruton survey from W. W.
Utley et ux to Lanes Chapel Cemetery, instrument being made on
25 Feb 1905 and filed for record on 18 Jun 1906 in Book CH Vol
56 Page 171. In 1950 a cemetery society was organized and fund
raising projects were started. The oldest marked grave is that
of Mordecai D. Fleming who died 26 Oct 1849. This may, however,
be a commemorative marker only and not the burial. The next oldest
burial is Mary McLean who died 30 July 1876. This cemetery was
surveyed by Lawrence and Sue Dale on 8 and 9 Feb 1999. We visited
this cemetery again on 1 Feb 2003 to take the GPS Coordinates.
We also did a re walk of the cemetery on 5 May 2004 adding new
burials and noting marker changes."
For partial inventory go here