Red River County
Apr 1836","Old Shiloh","This cemetery is
located in the northeast quadrant of Red River County, Texas.
GPS COORDINATES: Datum WGS84: 33 Deg 39.121N, 95 Deg 00.496W.
From Hwy 82 east take FM 1159 north for 3.4 miles to the intersection
with CR 3202. Then take CR 3202 east or right for 1.1 miles.
The cemetery is on the right and is well marked. The cemetery
is a part of the S. F. Moore headright survey. The oldest burial
is that of Mary S. Bagby who died 25 Apr 1836. It was closed
for burials in about 1900, the last marked burial being that
of Salina B. Radford who died on 18 May 1893. There is a deed
dated 20 Apr 1901 and filed for record on 22 Apr 1901 conveying
'tract William Wheat survey' from Leopald Silberburg to Old Shiloh
Cemetery Association as recorded in Book CH 41 page 164. Then
on 6 Jul 1901, instrument and file date, a release of lein from
Red River National Bank to Old Shiloh Cemetery Association as
recorded in Book CH 38 page 155. Due to the usage of the name
'Shiloh' by the media in reference to funeral services at Shiloh
Cumberland Presbyterian Church (and burial in the Madras Cemetery)
and then adding 'with burial there', we have elected to use the
name on the entrance to the old cemetery, ie, Old Shiloh.
Unnamed Newspaper, 15 Jun 1937, from microfilm in the Clarksville
Library, Reel 2002 2: Page 64, MARKER DEDICATED AT SHILOH SUNDAY
History of the Presbyterian Church in Texas was traced Sunday
afternoon as members gathered at the Old Shiloh cemetery, six
miles east of Clarksville, to dedicate a marker in commemoration
of the denomination's first church in this State. The services
were conducted by the Rev. H. R. Allen, pastor Oak Cliff Cumberland
church, who paid tribute to the founding pastor, the Rev. Milton
S. Estill, and the church's charter members. He read a letter
from Judge Royall Watkins, Dallas, whose grandfather and great
grandfather were members of the church. Other Dallas speakers
were Mrs. D. W. Wolfe, granddaughter of the Rev. Sumner Bacon,
first Cumberland Presbyterian minister to come to Texas, who
preached at the Shiloh church, and Mrs. G. F. Carlisle, great
granddaughter of Robert S. Hamilton, signer of the Texas Declaration
of Independence, who is buried in the cemetery. Talks were also
made by the Rev. R. E. Matlock, pastor of the Shiloh Cumberland
Presbyterian church, three miles from the cemetery, and the Rev.
Wilson Cole, Clarksville. Preceding the ceremonies preaching
services and dinner on the grounds were held at the Cumberland
church. Reverend Allen delivered the sermon. The marker was placed
at the cemetery by the State government.
A group of local residents consisting of Bob and Sharon Black,
Eddie Boss, Richard McFarland, Mike Hill, Jim Giddens, Johnie
Lee and Lawrence and Sue Dale gathered at the cemetery on 17
May 2003 for an all day cleanup of the grounds. Work began at
a little after nine that morning and the grounds were thoroughly
mowed and trimmed. With this large group there was plenty of
time to locate and to probe for buried markers. Sharon Black
found the first lost marker and the work continued for about
another 5 hours of digging and recording the information from
the old stones. Also included, for this cemetery only, was the
recording of the GPS Coordinates for each grave site. A plat
map will be prepared for this historic cemetery.""