Dec 1859","Pope Springs","This cemetery is
located in the northeast quadrant of Red River County, Texas.
GPS COORDINATES: Datum WGS84: 33 Deg 37.191N, 94 Deg 44.826W,
El 373 ft. Pope Springs Cemetery can be reached by following
FM 114 eastward from Clarksville for about 17 miles or until
about .3 mile from the Bowie County line. The cemetery is on
the right or South about 250 yards in a pasture under some trees.
There is a deed made 12 Jul 1886 and filed for record on 17 Aug
1886 in Book CH 10 page 392 2 acres of land in the J. B. Pope
survey from J. B. Pope to the County Judge for the Pope Springs
School. The oldest marked grave is that of A. H. New who died
on 9 Dec 1859. Cattle are roaming the area and it is only a matter
of time until most traces of these burials will be gone. There
is still one extra marker base in this cemetery that cannot be
accounted for and as time permits we may go back to the site
and try to find that last marker. This cemetery was surveyed
by Lawrence and Sue Dale on 26 Nov 1999. We again returned to
the site on 19 Feb 2004 and had time for probing to try and find
the additional marker mentioned above. Also while we were there
we recorded the GPS readings."