Ringo Cemetery

Ringo Cemetery, bef Jun 1849,"This cemetery is located in the southwest quadrant of Red River County, Texas. GPS COORDINATES: Datum WGS84: 33 Deg 24.559N, 95 Deg 17.014W. This cemetery is mentioned in RED RIVER RECOLLECTIONS page 69 after the McCrury Cemetery listing. It is a small family cemetery on the historic Abraham Ringo land near McCrury Community and is 1.7 miles west on FM 196 of the McCrury Cemetery and 1/10 miles south of the road. There is a Texas Memorial Plaque for this cemetery. There are 7 pieces of broken granite used to locate the graves and a concrete marker inscribed 'Family of Peter Ringo'. There are no other names or dates.

The 1850 Federal Census in RRCo TX has Peter, age 40, of KY and a farmer living in Household 41 with 6 children. As Peter does not appear in the 1860, 1870 nor 1880 census he may be interred here. By 1860 4 of the children are married in RRCo TX and one is already widowed. Of the 6 original children, only 2 appear in the 1860 census. This cemetery was surveyed on 24 Nov 1999 by Lawrence and Sue Dale.

CLARKSVILLE TIMES 31 Aug 2000: A special ceremony dedicating the Texas historical marker for Ringo Ferry and Ringo Cemetery in southwestern Red River County was conducted Saturday, August 12. Members of Red River Conty Historical Commission Committee officiated the event with Mary Hausler, chairperson, welcoming Ringo family descendants and county residents who witnessed the dedication. The marker is located on FM 196 southwest of Bogata about 2 miles northeast of the site on the Sulphur River where the ferry was once operated by the Ringo family. It is situated 650 feet north of the Ringo Cemetery. The cemetery, resting place for 16 people, was destroyed some time before 1961, but restoration efforts recently recovered 8 of the grave markers. William K. Barnard, Ph. D., of Dallas is a descendant of the Peter Ringo family which established the Ringo Ferry. He gave the introduction, a brief history of the ferry and cemetery, and performed the unveiling of the marker. According to Dr. Barnard, Peter Ringo was the great great great grandson of Philip Jantzen Ringo, one of the earliest settlers of the Dutch Colony of New Amsterdam (Manhattan Island, New York), which was established in 1626. Records indicate he was in New Amsterdam as early as 1638. Peter Ringo was born February 19, 1800, near Mt. Sterling, Montgomery County, Kentucky. He came to the Republic of Texas from Cooper County, Missouri, January 15, 1840. With him were his wife, Edy and children: James, Abraham, Benjamin, Samuel, Robert, Elizabeth, Elias, Marinda and Amanda. Peter and his family established the ferry on the Sulphur River in 1840. It was the access point from Red River County to the first main roadway leading south to Austin, the new capitol of the Republic of Texas. The ferry operated for well over 50 years and was replaced by the Ringo Bridge in about 1900. It was in use until the mid 30's when State Highway 37 was constructed and traversed the Sulphur, connecting Mt. Vernon to Clarksville. 'For about 100 years the Ringo Ferry, Ringo Bridge or Ringo Crossing served an important role.' Bernard said. 'It provided convenient travel, shipping and communication between Red River County and the interior of the Republic of Texas and the state of Texas.' The area today is still known as Ringo Crossing. Peter Ringo established a family cemetery approximately 2 miles northeast of Ringo Crossing. 'The cemetery is on a high bluff overlooking the Sulphur River bottoms, currently under cultivation by Brushy Creek Farms,' the Ringo descendant reported. Although the cemetery was destroyed, one tombstone engraved 'Peter Ringo and Family' and the remains of 8 grave markers were placed under an ancient tree. The location of the cemetery was located by surface scraping thanks to information provided by Mr. Pearis Abernathy', Barnard said. 'As a young man, Mr. Abernathy lived with his parents across the road from the cemetery. He and his father maintained the cemetery and fenced it.' Ringo family descendants present were: Mary Barnard, wife of Dan Barnard of Deport; Ruth and William K. Barnard and his sister, Patricia Farmer, all of Dallas; Thomas Peters of Cooper; Lillian Peters, wife of the late Jolly Peters of Cooper and her daughters, Jenny Peters of Cooper and Lynda Hill of Flower Mound. As of 20 Jan 2003 there stil is no fence as promised at the dedication ceremony for the historical marker. While on site we took the GPS Coordinates. We were at the area again on 23 Jan 2004 and took pictures of the unrestored site and the historical marker."


Return to Main Page
Return to Cemetery List