Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Tivoli



Tivoli
History in Texas Handbook
 

The Tivoli Ranch on the San Antonio River was founded by Colonel Newton C. Gullett in 1876-7.  That year Gullett acquired the holdings of Col. Tarlton Tucker, Wm. Kuykendall and others and moved to this county.  The Colonel's wife, who was his third, named the property the Tivoli Ranch after a suburb of New Orleans, her native city.  The Gulletts erected a home, a store, and a gin, on the land.  A post office, named Tivoli, was established there in the late 90's.  The post office was eventually moved to the site of the present of Tivoli, which is located on the ranch....The ranch passed into the hands of Preston R. Austin and associates in 1902.

As there were no towns in northern Refugio County, Austin proposed to establish at least two market and trading towns....With this...in mind, he had the townsites of Tivoli and Austwell platted and the outlying land subdivided into sections.

Austin organized several service organizations, all owned by common stockholders.  These included a hotel and lumber yard and school in each town, a general mercantile company...and cotton gins and mills, to provide reading processing marketing.  He...incorporated the Tivoli Mercantile Company with a complete store in each town; the Tivoli Milling & Gin Company, with one modern gin at Tivoli and two modern gins at Austwell; the Tivoli Meat market at Tivoli.


Click to enlarge.

The town of Tivoli, the first to be founded of the two towns established by Austin is located on the Thomas Scott survey and is about two miles from the Guadalupe River and about a mile southwest of Colonel N.C. Gullett's old gin and the original Tivoli post office.

Source:  Hobart Huson, Refugio: A Comprehensive History of Refugio County from Aboriginal Times to 1953 (2 vols., Woodsboro, Texas: Rooke Foundation, 1953, 1955)



Austwell-Tivoli ISD

Tivoli School 1910

Tivoli Commencement 
Program - 1931

 

Presbyterian Church

 

Tivoli Cemetery

 

DuboisFines.jpg (20326 bytes)
Receipt of L.L. DuBois
Fines collected October 1905

Preston Rose Austin
Pagel Family Reunion
Towns

  

__________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________


Return to Home of Refugio Co., TXGenWeb


 

Copyright 2009 to present - The TXGenWeb Project
All rights reserved. 
All information/material on this website is provided for and may be used by individuals who are researching Refugio County history or the genealogy of Refugio County residents.  The information may be freely used by non-commercial entities, libraries or genealogical societies as long as this copyright notice appears on the copied material.  Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission.  The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit or commercial use.  

Notice to Webmasters:  
You may not copy and paste the material, data or information on any of the pages of this site to another web page or site without obtaining explicit written  permission to do so and without including the copyright notice.