THE WILD MAN OF THE NAVIDAD

Source:  "SUBLIME, TX." The Handbook of Texas Online. http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/SS/hns98.html
[Accessed Sun Feb 16 10:21:54 US/Central 2003 ].


SUBLIME, TEXAS. Sublime is at the intersection of Farm roads 142, 146, and 125 and U.S. Highway 90-A, eight miles east of Hallettsville in eastern Lavaca County. In February 1838 Carney H. Coulter of San Augustine County received a land grant certificate on the basis of residency in Texas prior to the Texas Declaration of Independence. In March 1840 he located his land in two blocks running roughly east to west on the east bank of the Navidad River in Lavaca County. The area was covered by dense thickets of yaupon, wild grape, oak, and pecan and was known at the time as the territory of the "wild man of the Navidad." Most of the flood-prone area was used only as unimproved range for cattle. However, by 1875 a post office named Sublime was established near the river crossing to serve residents living east of the Navidad. In 1887 the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway completed its line through the old Coulter grant and connected Eagle Lake in Colorado County with Hallettsville in Lavaca County. Robert Miller donated land, primarily north of the tracks, for a townsite. Maintaining the name Sublime in hopes of attracting new residents, the community prospered as a center for trade among the Navidad settlements and attracted business from both Lavaca and Colorado counties. Although the community grew, by 1900 newer towns along the railroad, such as Rock Island and Sheridan, were attracting more residents because of their better farming conditions. By 1950 Sublime registered a population of eighty and two businesses. The railroad ceased operation at that time, but the improvement of U.S. Highway 90-A maintained the town's viability. In 1987 it had the post office, two churches, four businesses, and a population of seventy-five. Students attended school in Hallettsville, and the area's economy remained based on ranching. In 1990 the population was still seventy-five.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Colorado County Sesquicentennial Commemorative Book (La Grange, Texas: Hengst Printing, 1986).

Jeff Carroll

"Wild Man of the Navidad"
Return

 

__________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________


Return to Home of Refugio Co., TXGenWeb


 

Copyright 2009 to present - The TXGenWeb Project
All rights reserved. 
All information/material on this website is provided for and may be used by individuals who are researching Refugio County history or the genealogy of Refugio County residents.  The information may be freely used by non-commercial entities, libraries or genealogical societies as long as this copyright notice appears on the copied material.  Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission.  The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit or commercial use.  

Notice to Webmasters:  
You may not copy and paste the material, data or information on any of the pages of this site to another web page or site without obtaining explicit written  permission to do so and without including the copyright notice.