John T. Lehman CabinThis cabin was built (Circa 1858) by German immigrants, John T. Lehman (1832–1892) and his Father Daniel on a site at the intersection of Highway 20 and FM535 about 16 miles South of Bastrop, Texas.
Daniel Lehman and his family arrived in Texas at the Port of Indianola on November 9, 1846 and settled in Bastrop County. They were among the first to arrive in this area and settle along Walnut Creek. Their first home was just North of Rockne. Daniel bought land in 1857 and subsequently he and his son John T. built this log cabin as their permanent home.
John and his wife Maria Anna Eichorn and second wife, Rosina Brasch, raised seven children in the cabin: Julius, John, Charles, Phillip, Martin, Ida Jane Morse (adopted), and Mary.
In 1891, John and his family donated the land for Sacred Heart Church and the Cemetery in Rockne, Texas. He was the first person buried in the Sacred Heart Cemetery.
The cabin served as a residence until around 1945 and later it became a hay barn. In 1984, it was moved to Bastrop, Texas restored on Wilson Street, later disassembled and the logs were sold to Lee and Rodney Lehman.
The logs came into the possession of George and Cindy Goertz who donated them and the land needed to erect the cabin to the Rockne Historical Association (RHA). With the help of a Grant from Lower Colorado River Authority and Bluebonnet Electric Coop, RHA under the supervision of project manager Daniel S. Lehman restored the cabin.
Lehman Cabin Restoration