Welcome!County Coordinator is Jane Keppler.
County Co-Coordinator is Jean Huot Smoorenburg
If you have any questions or would like to submit information for Robertson County, please email one of the above.
|search engine by freefind||advanced|
TXGenWeb Robertson County Books & Master's Theses
H E A R N E O N T H E B R A Z O S
Used with permission of Norman Lowell McCarver, Jr. These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format by other organizations or individuals.
Biographical Sketches - C
was born May 11, 1919 at Bryan, Texas and has lived in or near Hearne,
He attended school at Mumford in the Brazos Bottom and Hearne High School. In addition to being the owner of a clothing store in Hearne, he owns and operates farm lands in the Brazos Bottom near Hearne. For several years prior to entering business for himself in Hearne, he was associated with his father-in-law in the general dry goods business.
He was married to Miss Mary Stella Ferrara, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ferrara and they have two children: Marie Campise and Virginia Lee Campise.
Mr. Campise has been active in Chamber of Commerce work and has served as Chairman of the Trade Development Committee of this organization. He is a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church and a former President of the Hearne Lions Club. Much of his time has been devoted to work with the Hearne Boy Scouts.
In 1957, the people of Hearne honored Mr. Campise by electing him to serve as a member of the Hearne City Council. He is one of Hearne's most active and energetic businessmen.
CANGELOSI, TONY CHARLES was born January 21,
1900 in Burleson County, Texas near Caldwell, the son of Charles
Cangelosi and Lena Branda Cangelosi. His parents were born in
Italy. His father died in 1901. Four children were born to
Charles Cangelosi and Lena Branda Cangelosi; two children being born in
Italy and two in the United States.
Tony Charles Cangelosi attended rural school in Smetana in Brazos County. After the death of his father in 1901, his mother married Tony Messina.
During his boyhood, Tony Charles Cangelosi farmed in the Brazos Bottom. In 1915, he moved to Houston, Texas where he was employed as a waiter at the Elite Cafe. He returned to the Brazos Bottom in 1919 and farmed. His crops were completely destroyed in the 1921 flood of the Brazos River. In the later part of 1921, he moved to Dallas, Texas where he was employed by the Texas Produce Company.
In 1922, he returned to the Brazos Bottom and accepted employment at the Scanlin Brothers Grocery at Mudville. He farmed and ranched in 1923, 1924, and 1925 at Mudville. In 1925, he purchased acreage that formerly comprised the old Westbrook plantation in the Hearne Brazos Bottom area and began cotton farming, hog raising, and cattle raising.
Tony Charles Cangelosi married Mary Depuma, daughter of John Depuma and Rena Camarata Depuma, December 2, 1922. Mary Depuma Cangelosi was born and reared in Brazos County, Texas. Her parents were born in Italy.
Mary Depuma Cangelosi is a communicant of St. Mary's Catholic Church and a former member and President of St. Mary's Catholic Church Altar Society. Tony Charles Cangelosi is a communicant of St. Mary's Catholic Church; a member of the Knights of Columbus; a member of the Robertson County Farm Bureau; a member of the Old Cotton Belt Association; a former member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; served as a committeeman on the Federal Government Plow-Up Program in 1933-1937; and served on the AAA Farm Program for Robertson County.
From 1926 through 1932, he served as manager for the Pinto Gin Company in the Hearne Brazos Bottom. In 1940, he organized, owned, and operated the Hearne Farm Machinery Company. This firm was located on Cedar Street in Hearne and was sold to Joe Corpora in 1951.
CARR, LEWIS WHITFIELD was born in Lenore
County, North Carolina, February 7, 1824, the son of Matthew H. Carr, a
of Virginia. His paternal
grandfather was Lawrence Carr a Virginian who served as a patriot
during the Revolutionary War of 1776, and emigrated to North Carolina
the colonial struggle for independence and died at the age of 87 years.
His paternal grandmother was Sallie Murphy, a native of North
Mr. Carr moved to Mississippi when he was a young man in 1847. The State of Mississippi was comparatively unsettled at that time. He engaged in planting there until 1858, coming to Texas in January of that year and stopped for a time in Washington County and in December of 1858 he bought and settled on a tract of land in the Hearne Brazos Bottom. Here he opened a plantation and engaged in farming. When he first settled on this plantation, there were only 60 acres in cultivation. He began to put more land under cultivation until his total cultivated acreage increased to 2700 acres. He lived to see this area grow from a wilderness to a progressive town and he was a leading factor in this growth and development. When he settled in the Brazos Bottom, his trading place was Houston, 120 miles distant and his post office was Wheelock, 17 miles distant. He helped to build the Hearne & Brazos Valley Railroad and served as vice president of this company; helped to organize the First National Bank in Hearne and served as vice president.
In 1854 he was married to Sidney A. Westbrook at West Point, Mississippi. His wife was born January 2, 1814. One child, a daughter Sidney Carr, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Carr. Sidney Carr was born in 1857, and she married Beverly W. Beckham.
Lewis Whitfield Carr had five brothers; Joshua Carr, James Carr, Alexander Carr, Titus Carr, and Matthews Carr; two sisters, Patsie Carr and Susan Carr. Three of his brothers, James, Alexander and Titus were members of the Confederate Army.
Mr. Carr never held public office, but he served the public in many other ways. His fellow townsmen said, "No man stands higher in Robertson County than L. W. Carr."
Lewis Whitfield Carr died December 30, 1911 and his wife, Sidney A. Carr died July 10, 1883. Both are buried in Norwood Cemetery in Hearne.
DUNCAN B. "DUNC"
was born at Hempstead, Texas and was married to Miss Eddie Mae
October 19, 1904 in Franklin, Texas. Mrs.
Carrington was born January 13, 1884 in Franklin, the daughter of Mr.
Dallas P. Springfield. One child
was born to Mr. and Mrs. Carrington, a daughter, Mildred Carrington
Mr. and Mrs. Carrington lived in Hempstead for a short time where Mr. Carrington operated a newspaper business. In 1911 they moved to Hearne where Mr. Carrington became associated with The Hearne Democrat, a position he held for 41 years.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Carrington were members of the First Baptist Church where they were both active. Mrs. Carrington was a charter member of the Hearne Garden Club and held honorary membership in this club at the time of her death.
Grandchildren of Duncan B. Carrington and Eddie Springfield Carrington are Barbara Booth and Robert A. Booth Jr.
Duncan B. Carrington passed away in 1952 and Eddie Springfield Carrington died in 1957.
son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert A. Carson, was born in Franklin, Texas in
In 1905, when he was 20 years of age, he came to Hearne and was
by the J. L. Hazlett Drug Store.
Mr. Carson was a registered druggist for 49 years and owned and operated drug stores in Hearne and Somerville, and later in Austin.
While living in Somerville he was a member of the School Board of that city for many years and was President of the board for seven years. He also served as a member of the State of Texas Centennial Commission in 1936.
During his many years as a businessman in Hearne, he was a member and very active in the Hearne Chamber of Commerce and an active supporter of the many civic undertakings. Mr. Carson always put the welfare of others above his own during his entire active career.
In 1908 he was married to Miss Mary Brady of Hearne, daughter of Peter Louis Brady and Jessie Mathews Brady prominent pioneer family of Hearne. Mr. and Mrs. Carson had two sons: Matthew Vaughan Carson Jr., and Lawrence Brady Carson. The Carson family's religious affiliation is with St. Mary's Catholic Church of Hearne.
Matthew Vaughan Carson was one of the many pioneer citizens of Hearne who contributed much to the growth and progress of the community. He died September 4, 1956.
was born to Mr. and Mrs. Robert C. Carson in Franklin, Texas, June 15,
The Carson family moved to Hearne in 1906 and he attended the
After attending the Hearne schools he went to work for the American Railway Express Agency in Houston, leaving this job to go to work for a grocery firm in Dallas where he remained for two years.
He returned to Hearne in 1921 and worked for the American Railway Express Agency office until 1926. During 1926 he left this job to accept employment with the City of Hearne as an operator in the electric power plant. He remained in the employment of the City of Hearne until 1948, his years of employment with the city being in the electric power plant and electric distribution system.
When he terminated his employment with the City of Hearne in 1948, he went into business for himself as an electrical contractor and organized a sales agency for air conditioning units and other electrical appliances.
He was elected a member of the Hearne City Council in 1953 and served in this capacity for two terms, a period of four years.
He was married to Miss Ivory Freeman of Kosse, Texas in Franklin, January 29, 1926 and their married life has all been spent in Hearne. Mrs. Carson is also prominent in Hearne where she is librarian for Hearne High School, and prior to this employment she taught in several rural schools around Hearne. Mr. and Mrs. Carson have a daughter, Jo Beth who married Herbert Anders, son of Mr. and Mrs. F. W. Anders of Hearne. The Carson's have a grand daughter, Danna Anders.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Carson are affiliated with Grace Methodist Church of Hearne. Mr. Carson retired from the Hearne Volunteer Fire Department in 1954 after 26 years of service to this organization. He is a past member of the Hearne Rotary Club where he filled the classification of electrical contractor.
CASH, ROSS, son of Joe T. Cash and Lena
Woodyard Cash, was born at Bryan, Texas, July 9, 1917. His father
was born in Italy and came to the United States to make his home when
he was a young man. His mother was born in Brazos County, Texas.
Ross Cash attended grade school at Smetana in Brazos County and Mumford in Robertson County. In 1931 he entered Hearne high school and played football on the Hearne High School Eagle team in 1931-32-33-34. He was graduated from Hearne High School with the Class of 1935.
In 1936 he started farming and ranching in the Hearne Brazos Bottom and in 1958 is farming and ranching 2000 acres in this area.
He was married to Rosa Lee Ferrara, daughter of Joe Ferrara and Lena Altimore Ferrara, October 28, 1935. Rosa Lee Ferrara Cash was born in Hearne, Texas, November 18, 1918. Her father, Joe Ferrara, was born in Italy. Her mother, Lena Altimore Ferrara, is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Martin Altimore, pioneer citizens of Hearne. Two children were born to Ross Cash and Rosa Lee Ferrara Cash: a daughter, Lena Rosa Cash, born November 28, 1939, who married Richard N. Morris; and a son, Joseph Ross Cash, who was born December 3, 1944.
Ross Cash and Rosa Lee Ferrara Cash are communicants of St. Mary's Catholic Church. Mrs. Cash is a member of the Altar Society. Ross Cash is a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church Men's Club; a member of the Knights of Columbus; the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; the Robertson County Farm Bureau; the Farmers Union Association; the Old Cotton Belt Association; is a stockholder and vice president of the Wood Switch Gin Company; a member of the Production Credit Corporation; a stockholder in the Federal Land Bank of Bryan; a member of the Hearne Quarterback Club; and has served on various committees of the Hearne Alfalfa Fiesta.
son of James Guy Chandler and Katherine Underwood Chandler, was born in
Texas, December 27, 1925.
He attended public school in Cameron and was graduated from high school in that city with the Class of 1943.
Upon graduating from high school he enlisted in the U. S. Air Force and served actively as a tail gunner on B-17 bombers in the European Theater during World War II.
After being discharged from military service late in 1945 he enrolled at Texas A&M College, graduating with a B. S. Degree in Agronomy in 1949. Shortly after graduating from Texas A&M College he moved to Hearne and established the Chandler Construction Company with his father. The Chandlers consolidated with the Hearne Lumber Company in 1951 and shortly thereafter purchased the other stockholders' shares.
Guy Edward Chandler was married to Miss Dorothy Darlington, of Taylor in Denton, Texas, August 25, 1948. Mrs. Chandler taught music in the Hearne public schools for two years after she and Mr. Chandler moved to Hearne in 1949. Mr. and Mrs. Chandler have two children: Wendy Lynn Chandler who was born June 23, 1955 and James Edward Chandler who was born February 3, 1958.
Mr. Chandler has been active in the business activities of Hearne and civic organizations. He served as President of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce in 1956 and continued his service to this organization as a member of the Board of Directors; a member and former Director of the Hearne Rotary Club; a member of the Hearne Fire Department; a member of the Cameron Masonic Lodge; a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post of Hearne; a member of the Robertson County Ex-Aggie Club; and an active member of the First Baptist Church of Hearne.
was born in Sparta, Greece, November 11, 1889.
As a small boy he attended elementary school in his home town
in the olive groves and grape vineyards of his father and also did farm
His mother died while he was still a small lad, and he continued
his home in the small Grecian village until he was 14 years old.
In 1904 he came to the United States, landing at New York where he remained for thirty days and then made his way to Clarksville, Texas and went to work in a confectionery owned and operated by his cousin J. N. Athas. This employment continued for the next three years and in 1907 he moved to Hoboken, New Jersey and went to work for the railroad for three and one-half years. In 1910 he moved to New York and worked in a flower shop owned and operated by his brother and cousin.
In 1912 he returned to his native Greece for a visit of nine months and then returned to the United States and went to Chicago where he managed a confectionery until 1916.
In 1916 he moved to Marlin, Texas and went into the confectionery business with his brother John Chatmas. This business association continued for ten years.
In 1919 he was married to Miss Despina Pitsilade at Thomason, Connecticut, his bride having been born in Plomarion Mytilene, Greece and came to the United States in 1916.
On July 1, 1926, Mr. and Mrs. Chatmas and their children, Penelope Chatmas Siede, Dorothy Chatmas Smith, and Jimmie Chatmas moved to Hearne where Mr. Chatmas had purchased the Queen Theater from J. B. Looney.
In 1930, Mr. Chatmas brought the first talking pictures to Hearne and Robertson County. The Chatmas Theater was constructed and opened to the public June 18, 1936.
Mr. Chatmas is one of the oldest independent theater owners and operators in Texas. He is a member of the Hearne Rotary Club, a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce and belongs to the Scottish Rite Order, a member of the Variety Club, and a member of the Theater Owners of America. His religious affiliation is with the Episcopal Church and he has served for many years on the Vestry of St. Philips Church and was made a Vestryman Emeritus of this Church.
was born at Hearne, Texas, February 12, 1910, the son of Mr. and Mrs.
Clapp, early residents of Hearne. His
father was one of Hearne's early day blacksmiths and owned and operated
blacksmith shop on the corner of Fourth and Cedar Streets for many
H. Biggs Clapp attended school in Hearne and graduated from Hearne High School with the Class of 1928. For the following twenty years he worked at various jobs which included Clerk at the Oxford Hotel; worked for the W.P.A. during the depression years of the early thirties; worked for the State Highway Department; worked in the office of the South Texas Cotton Oil Company; and Heartfield Funeral Home as a funeral director.
In 1948 he purchased the flower shop formerly operated by E. H. Heartfield and began the operation of this business under the name of Biggs' Florist on the corner of Magnolia and Second Streets.
He was married to Miss joy Hancock; daughter of Mr. and Mrs. S.S. Hancock, September 9, 1933 at Calvert, Texas. Mrs. Clapp was born and reared in the Elliott community in Robertson County. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Clapp; Alvin Clapp, a graduate of Hearne High School, and a daughter, Kay Clapp.
H. Biggs Clapp is a member of the Board of Stewards of Grace Methodist Church, a church that his grandfather, The Reverend A. C. Biggs pastored in the early days of Hearne. He is also a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce and a former member of the Hearne Rotary Club.
CLARK, JAMES EARL, son of James A. "Doc" Clark and Jessie Clanton Clark, was born at Hearne, Texas on Moss Avenue, September 15, 1901. He spent most of his life in Hearne. He attended the public schools in Hearne.
His first job after finishing his schooling was with Brady's Gin. In 1918, he went to work for the H. & T. C. Railroad Company and worked in the freight department until 1928. In 1928, he accepted employment with the Humble Oil & Refining Company and worked for this company at Ingleside, Texas until 1930. He returned to Hearne in 1930 and accepted the position of Sexton at Norwood Cemetery in Hearne, a position that had been held by a member of his family for three generations. His father, James A. "Doc" Clark and his grandfather, Joe Clark, also held the Sexton job at Norwood Cemetery.
In 1941, he resigned as Sexton at Norwood Cemetery and accepted employment with the U.S. Post Office at Hearne and continues his employment there in 1958.
James Earl Clark married Alva Easter Thames, daughter of Louis Milton Thames and Ira Dunlap Thames, July 9, 1926. A son, Earl Eugene Clark, was born to James Earl Clark and Alva Easter Thames Clark, May 11, 1927. Earl Eugene Clark died August 26, 1929.
James Earl Clark and his wife are members of the First Baptist Church of Hearne. He is active in the Baptist Brotherhood organization. Alva Easter Thames Clark has been active in the business circles of Hearne having served with The Famous Dry Good Company as store manager for 20 years. In 1955, she was an active partner in Julia's Dress Shop in Hearne and sold her interest in this firm in 1956. In 1958, she is employed in a secretarial position with the Jones Insurance Agency of Hearne.
JUDGE ALBERT G.
was born in Leon County, Texas, August 16, 1846, and moved with his
Robertson County at the age of 4 years in 1850.
He spent his boyhood in a country home about 12 miles from
In January of 1866 he was married to Miss Marguerite Yardley, a resident of his home community. Some years after his marriage, Judge Cobb and his family moved to Wheelock and came to Hearne, Texas in 1900. Mrs. Cobb passed away in 1914. Children born to Judge and Mrs. Cobb were: Mrs. A. G. Arnett, Mattie Cobb New, Maggie Cobb, Viola J. Cobb, Newt Cobb, Will Cobb, John L. Cobb, and Harvey Cobb. Three other children born to this union died in infancy.
Judge Cobb, in addition to being justice of the Peace of Precinct Number Two in Hearne, was also a leader in church work serving many years on the Board of Deacons of the First Baptist Church. In his business affairs, Judge Cobb's Christian thinking and upright living brought him the confidence of all men, and during the 14 years that he served at Wheelock as justice of the Peace and the 18 years that he served in the same capacity at Hearne, he meted out justice in its real meaning. He was a member of the Confederate Army and served actively during the Civil War with T. W. McNeel and "Uncle Dick" Boswell. Judge Albert G. Cobb died May 1, 1924 and is buried in Norwood Cemetery in Hearne.
retired from active duty with the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company
and one of Hearne's most faithful and competent public servants was
the ranks. Always courteous,
considerate and thoughtful of the clientele of the telephone industry,
was known throughout the years to those who became familiar with her
Although Miss Cobb's retirement was voluntary on her part, the officials of the telephone company stated that it became effective while she was still eligible for a place of responsibility in the Southwestern Bell system. Her employers acceded graciously to her request that she be placed on the retired list, feeling that her years of usefulness justified the change to an emeritus relationship.
Among the treasures of this long-time employee was a handsomely framed certificate which read as follows: "This certificate is presented by the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company to Viola J. Cobb in recognition of a career of devoted service to the ideals and traditions of the telephone industry." This certificate was signed by the president of the Southwestern Bell Telephone Co.
It was in 1906 that Miss Cobb first became identified with the local telephone office, then under the ownership and management of J. B. Covington as the Hearne Telephone Company. In 1909 this private ownership was changed, T. 0. McGuire taking over the system. The company office at that time was located on the north corner of Magnolia and Third Streets. There were only two operators at the old Kellog switchboard. Telephones were considered in the luxury class in those days, but "hello" girls were kept busy, "Miss Vi," as she was known to her associates, working mostly with long distance calls.
In 1911, Mr. McGuire and associates disposed of the Hearne Telephone Company interests to the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company which continued to maintain offices at the same location on the corner of Magnolia and Third Streets.
Throughout her many years of service with the telephone company, Miss Cobb watched with interest the steady growth of the telephone industry in Hearne.
son of W. M. Cochran and Emily Ann Burgess Cochran, was born October
28, 1901 in
He was graduated from Waco High School in 1919 and later attended the University of Virginia and Texas Tech at Lubbock, Texas.
Upon finishing his college work he was employed for two years as Sales Promotion Manager for the Waco Sash & Door Company. The next ten years he was a professional musician and later served as Band Director for the Marlin High School Band.
In 1943 he moved to Hearne where on June 1 of that year he became managing partner of Hamilton Dry Goods Company. In 1950 he became the owner of Hamilton Dry Goods Company.
He was married to Miss Carmen Ercelle Hamilton, daughter of John Thomas Hamilton and Ihna Bell Adams Hamilton, November 10, 1934.
He is a member of the Presbyterian Church; a member and Past President of the Hearne Rotary Club; a member of the Hearne Golfer's Association; a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; and a member of the Masonic Lodge.
son of Mr. and Mrs. Simon Cohen, was born at Hearne, Texas February 25,
During his young boyhood he attended the Hearne Public Schools and worked in his father's grocery store. In 1898 he was graduated from Hearne High School in the first class to graduate from the public school system in Hearne.
When his father retired in 1905, Mr. Cohen, along with his brother Dave Cohen, took over the operation of the retail grocery business and continued to operate this business until March 1, 1927.
Since retiring from the grocery business, Mr. Cohen has been active in the real estate business and rental business.
In 1930 he was connected actively with the Citizens Ice Company of Hearne as manager and stockholder. In the late 1930's, he sold his interest in this business and continued to operate his real estate and rental business.
Mr. Cohen is affiliated with the Jewish Temple in Bryan.
He is a charter member of the Hearne Rotary Club and has served as president of this organization. He was honored by the citizens of Hearne in being elected to serve two terms on the Hearne School Board. He is also a member and former director of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce.
Active in the organization of the First State Bank of Hearne, Mr. Cohen served as vice president of this new banking firm.
was born in Poland in 1842. In
early manhood he moved to England. In
1866, after he was married, he came to the United States and made his
New York for a while. From New York
he moved to Detroit, Michigan where he followed the trade of an
merchant. He later moved to Peoria,
Illinois and from here he and his
family moved to Englewood in Robertson County, Texas.
The following children had already been born to Mr. and Mrs. Cohen at the time they moved to Texas; Jake Cohen, Lizzie Cohen, Rosa Cohen, Rachel Cohen, Bertha Cohen, Libbie Cohen, and Pearl Cohen.
In 1878 Mr. and Mrs. Cohen left Englewood to move to Hearne where the following children were born: Nathan Cohen (who died in infancy), Morris Cohen and Dave Cohen.
After moving to Hearne Mr. Cohen continued his business as an itinerant merchant, carrying his goods and wares from town to town on his back. The original Cohen home was located on the corner of Cedar and Third Streets.
In 1880 he established a retail grocery store in Hearne, this business being located on Magnolia Street in a frame building in the business district. In 1883 this business was completely destroyed by fire and Mr. Cohen lost heavily, having no insurance on his stock of goods or store fixtures. Later in 1883 he reopened a new retail grocery business on this same street in a brick building and continued to operate this business until his retirement in 1905. Upon his retirement, the operation of grocery store was continued by his two sons, Morris Cohen and Dave Cohen.
Mr. Cohen died in 1924 at the age of 82 years, and Mrs. Cohen died in 1904.
His life in America was typical of the Jewish merchant that immigrated to the United States and by hard work and good business management succeeded in the business world.
was born January 4, 1875 at Belton, Texas, but lived most of his life
and Robertson Counties. He was
married to Miss Mabel Brady of Maysfield, Texas, who was born October
6, 1876. Mr. Cole was the son of William
Isaac Cole and Martha Ann
Nixon Cole who were early settlers on their farm in Bell County, Texas.
Mr. and Mrs. Cole made their first home at Port Sullivan where he personally looked after farm interest before coming to Hearne to live. Operating a retail grocery store known as Cole's Corner located on the corner of Fifth and Magnolia Streets, he also dealt extensively in the cotton business in this section of the state. Following a business connection with Lawrence Grocery Company, wholesale distributors with Hearne headquarters, he returned to his land holdings near Hearne in the Brazos Bottom. He ran a country store and looked after his farming interests up to the time of his retirement.
Children born to Mr. and Mrs. Cole: Fred Lamar Cole, Brady Nixon Cole, and Agnes Cole Carter. Grandchildren: Brady Marshall Cole, Rosser Cole, Wharton Cole, Fred Lamar Cole Jr., Rex Walton Cole, Jane Cole Carter White, and Marilu Carter Poenish.
Mr. Cole died June 24, 1946 and Mrs. Cole died February 27, 1936.
was born at Mumford, Texas, October 30, 1892, the son of Joseph Robert
and Rachel Anne Bailey Collier. His
father, a Brazos Bottom planter, was born October 12, 1856 and died at
in Waco, August 18, 1954; his mother was born February 11, 1861 and
He attended Mumford Public School, Waco Public School, Douglas Private School and Baylor University. During his boyhood he worked on his father's cotton plantation and also in the broom factory and syrup mill owned and operated by his father. From 1908 to 1916 he operated his father's gin each fall and also worked in his father's store. In 1917 he owned and operated Collier's Gin at Mumford and continued this operation until the gin was dismantled in 1942. Since 1918 be has owned and operated Collier's Store at Mumford. In 1915-17 he and his brother Robert B. Collier farmed 2000 acres at Goodland and Mumford. Since 1918 he has operated his farm at Mumford.
The Colliers live in the only original plantation home in the Hearne Brazos Bottom, this home having been re-done in 1937, retaining it almost as it was originally built. Most of the Negro cabins at this plantation home were also repaired and put in good condition. He operated this farm from the beginning with mule teams until 1940 when everything on his plantation was mechanized. All of the cotton land on the Collier place is irrigated. Along with cotton, the farm produces corn, grain sorgums, and maize. Cattle raising is also carried on extensively.
Jud Collier was an active worker in the project of getting the Mumford Road constructed and later having this road re-worked and topped with asphalt in 1938.
He was married on July 3, 1917 to Miss Lillian Welch, daughter of Charles Pinkney Welch and Mary Louise Hostrasser Welch, pioneer citizens of Hearne. A daughter, Frances Elizabeth Collier Foyt, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Collier and they have two grandchildren: Tommy Foyt and Barbara Foyt. Frances Elizabeth Collier married Thomas E. Foyt.
Mr. Collier has been active in all civic, religious, and political activities of the Hearne Brazos Bottom area, Robertson County, and on the state and national level. He is a member of the Baptist Church, the Masonic Lodge, the Hearne Chamber of Commerce, Postmaster at Mumford since 1938, Democratic Precinct Chairman 1925-1940, Secretary of the Mumford School Board 1933-1940, Community Chairman USDA Plough Up Campaign in 1932-33, a Director of the Hearne Cotton Compress Company since 1949, Secretary-Treasurer Mumford Alfalfa Milling Company, Member National Association of Postmasters, Member Texas Association of Postmasters, Member of the Texas Dehydrators Association, and the Robertson County Farm Bureau.
Mr. and Mrs. Collier have made three trips with the Council of International Relations group and Texas Good Neighbors. In 1953 they attended the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth in England. In these trips they have visited sixteen countries in Europe and the Near East. They were also members of the above groups in 1956 for a tour around the world and in 1957 for a trip to South America, Central America, and Mexico.
was born at Hearne, Texas, February 7, 1896, the daughter of Charles
Welch and Mary Louise Hostrasser Welch. Mr.
Welch was born September 7, 1859 and died October 7, 1937.
Mrs. Welch was born February 9, 1862 and died December 6, 1948.
She attended the Hearne Public Schools and was in the last Tenth Grade graduating class which was composed of only three students; Lillian Welch, Nellie Carr and Bessie Burke. She was also in the first Eleventh Grade graduating class but this time there were only two students; Lillian Welch and Bessie Burke.
Mrs. Collier has often said that one of the favorite pastimes she enjoyed during her girlhood was the privilege of riding the old Hearne & Brazos Valley "Jack" train that made two daily round-trips from Hearne to the Brazos Bottom. Little did she dream while making these rides that she would ever make her home in the Brazos Bottom which she describes as "Heaven."
Upon completing her high school education she attended Baylor University in Waco and Southwest State Teachers College, later teaching school at Mumford in 1916-17.
She was married to Judson Holt Collier, son of Joseph Robert Collier and Rachel Anne Bailey Collier, July 3, 1917. A daughter, Frances Elizabeth Collier was born to Mr. and Mrs. Collier and she married Thomas E. Foyt. Mr. and Mrs. Foyt have two children; Tommy Foyt and Barbara Foyt.
After her marriage, she and Mr. Collier established their home at Mumford in the Brazos Bottom at the old Collier plantation home.
One of the most interesting projects that Mrs. Collier has worked on was to build up the Mumford School System. When she taught at this school in 1916-17 it was only a two-teacher school. She worked on the school census and then went before the State Legislature to see if the Mumford School could be designated as an Independent School District. This was accomplished and bonds were voted to build a modern brick building and the teachers were increased from two to seven. This was known as one of the most unique schools in Texas because at that time it was a rural school and yet an independent district. When this school district was designated the county line between Brazos and Robertson counties had to be established from Benchley to Mumford and in the course of this work and surveying, the ruins of Old Fort Tenoxtitlan in Burleson County were discovered. This old fort was established in July 1830 as a Mexican Garrison and was located on the west bank of the Brazos River. The finding of this old fort was a help in getting the State Highway Commission to designate the Hearne-Mumford Road as a Farm to Market Road and thereby receive state construction and maintenance.
Locally, Mrs. Collier is a member of the First Baptist Church of Hearne, an active member of the Hearne Shakespeare Club, an Honorary Member of the Hearne Garden Club, and an active member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce. From 1933 to 1938 she was Postmaster at Mumford and was President of the Mumford School Board from 1927 to 1933.
On a state and national level, Mrs. Collier has served as follows: Member of the State Democratic Executive Committee, a member of the Speaker's Bureau National Democratic Committee, Women's National Democratic Club, Chairman Women's Activities Texas Advisory Council, Texas Centennial Celebration Committee, Chairman Texas Roadside Council, President of Fourth District Texas Federation of Women's Clubs, District Vice Chairman Texas Division American Cancer Society, Chairman Central Texas Council Volunteer Service of Camps and Hospitals, Chairman Safety TFWC, Member of Board of Directors Texas Safety Association, participated in National Institute of Government - Chicago, 1939, Commissioner of Texas Heritage Foundation, Program Chairman Dehydrators Convention - Galveston, and many other national and state organizations.
In 1957 at Ashville, North Carolina, Mrs. Collier received a National Award from the General Federation of Women's Clubs for the Traffic Court program at Mumford and the Traffic Violators School. The Hearne Shakespeare Club was awarded $100 in this instance.
In company with her husband, Mrs. Collier made three trips with the Council of International Relations group and Texas Good Neighbors. In 1953 they attended the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth in England and visited sixteen countries in Europe and the Near East. They were also member of the above groups in 1956 for a tour around the world and in 1957 for a trip to South America, Central America, and Mexico.
Since 1917 Ms. Collier has been very active on a local, state, national and global level in public affairs and has traveled thousands of miles in her public activities.
COLLINS, ARTHUR SPURGEON, son of Reverend Andrew
Jackson Collins and Tema Brown Collins, was born March 10, 1894 at
He attended the schools at Ben Arnold, Texas and Burlington, Texas in Milam County. After finishing his schooling he owned and operated a tailor shop in Burlington, Texas and later became a salesman for the Cheeves Brothers Dry Goods Company in Cameron. He also worked for Green's Grocery Company in Cameron.
On November 21, 1921 he moved to Hearne, Texas and was employed by the Farrar Lumber Company until August 1922. In 1922 he worked as an electrician for the City of Hearne and continued in this employment until February 1924. From February 1924 until June 28, 1943 he was employed by the Hamilton Dry Goods Company of Hearne. On June 29, 1943 he became employed by the Pacific Fruit Express Company of Hearne.
He was married to Elizabeth Hargrove, daughter of Alex Murray Hargrove and Mary Ella Busby Hargrove, December 25, 1915 at Cameron, Texas. Two children were born to Arthur Spurgeon Collins and Elizabeth Hargrove Collins; a son, Arthur Spurgeon Collins Jr. and a daughter, Doris Collins who was married to Winston Sanders. A son, Winston Sanders Jr. was born to Winston Sanders and Doris Collins Sanders.
Arthur Spurgeon Collins and Elizabeth Hargrove Collins are both members of the First Baptist Church of Hearne. He has been a Deacon in this church since 1924 and also served as Director of the B. T. U. for eight years; Department Superintendent for five years; Chairman of the Finance Committee for two years; Chairman of the Building & Grounds Committee for two years; a member of the Baptist Choir for 33 years; and active in the Baptist Brotherhood organization for nine years. He was also an active member of the Hearne Volunteer Fire Department for 25 years. Mrs. Collins is also active in church and has been a member of the Hearne Garden Club for ten years.
ROBERT EARL JR.,
was born in Hearne, Texas, October 13, 1926, the son of Robert Earl
and Ruby Pippin Cornforth.
He attended elementary school in Hearne and was graduated from Hearne High School with the Class of 1944. During his high school days he was very active in athletics, being a member of the Hearne High School Eagles football team for four years. He played a guard position in football and was voted All-District for three consecutive years and All-Southwest in 1943.
He entered the U. S. Air Force in September 1944 during World War II and served until October 1946 when he received his discharge.
Upon being discharged from military service he entered Southwest Texas College at San Marcos, graduating in 1949. After graduation from college he returned to Hearne and entered the chicken business and later began selling life insurance. He went into the general insurance business in 1954 and served as District Manager of the Central Texas area for Commerce Life Insurance Company. In addition to his general insurance business, he has other business interests in Hearne.
He was married to Miss Mary Ann Golla of Mathis, Texas in San Marcos, Texas, August 25, 1948 and Mr. and Mrs. Cornforth have two children; a son, Robert Steven Cornforth and a daughter, Cathy Sue Cornforth.
Robert Earl Cornforth Jr. is active in the civic and business life of Hearne and is a member of Grace Methodist Church. He is a member and former Director of the Hearne Lions Club and a past Zone Chairman of the Lions International; a member of the Hearne Golfer's Association; Past Commander of the Hearne American Legion Post; and Past President of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce.
ROBERT EARL SR.
was born November 12, 1890 at Robinson, Texas in McLennan County.
His parents were Alvin Burgess Cornforth and Lavenia Cook
At a very early age he moved from Robinson to Gatesville, Texas where he worked on the family farm and ranch. He attended school in Gatesville until 1904 when his family moved to Lampasas, Texas to continue farming and ranching in that area. He attended high school in Lampasas and was graduated with the class of 1910.
In 1910 the Cornforth family moved to Taylor, Texas, but Robert Earl Cornforth went to Waco, Texas where he attended Toby's Business College until 1913. During 1913 he moved to Taylor, staying in that city a short time and then moved to San Antonio, Texas where he was employed by the Southern Pacific Railroad Company and the Wells-Fargo Express Company.
In 1915 he accepted a position with the Taylor Water & Ice Company in Taylor, Texas and worked for this firm until he entered military service in 1917 during World War I. He received his military training at Camp Travis and shipped out to the battle front in Germany in 1918, serving as Regimental Supply Sergeant, 315th Engineers, 90th Division. While serving with the U. S. Army in France, during one of the big campaigns, he lost his metal identification tag. During September 1957 he received a letter from the U. S. Army records center in St. Louis telling him that his old 'dog tag' had been found by a Frenchman in Bure, France. The commanding officer of the records center enclosed the metal tag and a translated copy of the letter from the finder. The finder stated that he was weeding his garden and found a small round metal disc, which after being cleaned, appeared much as it stands now, affixed to a postal card. The Frenchman said he wondered for a moment what it could be and that it dawned on him that it might be the identity disc of an American soldier of the 1914 war. Looking further at the disc the finder said he began to wonder about the man who had worn it, who he was, and if he still was in this world. He said that he would like for the disc to be given to its owner and if possible have the owner write to him and let him know that the disc had at last reached its destination.
Mr. Cornforth served in the U. S. Army until July 3, 1919 and returned to his home in Taylor, Texas. On July 5, 1919 he went to work for the National Compress Company at Taylor and worked for this firm in that city until August of 1922. On August 31, 1922 he came to Hearne where he was employed with this company until November 1954.
On September 1, 1955, he was appointed Executive Director of the Hearne Housing Authority. Along with the duties of this position, he also operates a finance company.
On June 15, 1925 he was married to Miss Ruby Pippin, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Pippin of Groesbeck, Texas. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Cornforth: a son, Robert Earl Cornforth Jr., and a daughter, Mary Jo Cornforth Glaxner.
Mr. Cornforth has been very active in the civic and business life of Hearne, serving on the Hearne Independent School District Board for 17 years and also served as President of this board; served two and one-half years as President of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; is a member of the Hearne Rotary Club; and served on the Board of Stewards of Grace Methodist Church since 1926.
The many years of public service rendered by Robert Earl Cornforth along with his activities in the business life of this area has added much to the progress of Hearne.
CORPORA, JOSEPH SAMUEL SR., son of Sam Copora and Lena Salvato Corpora, was born in Falls County, Texas, April 21, 1918. He attended the rural school at Highbank near Marlin, Texas and Hearne High School.
After completing his schooling, he farmed in the Hearne Brazos Bottom. He enlisted in the U.S. Army January 15, 1941 and served in the 36th Division, 131st Field Artillery at Brownwood, Texas. In June 1942, he transferred to the U.S. Air Force Glider Pilot Training Attachment. In March 1943, he transferred to the U.S. Air Force Aviation Cadet Training and was graduated as a pilot February 8, 1944. He was located on the West Coast of the United States until January 15, 1945 in training in tactical type aircraft. On January 15, 1945, he was transferred to the European Theater during World War II. After the 9th Air Force, he flew 32 combat missions. He returned to the United States August 15, 1945 where he had various assignments with the training program on the West Coast. He received his discharge from military service December 31, 1946 with the rank of Captain.
During 1948, he established Corpora Aerial Service in the Hearne area and constructed an airport for the operation of this business in the Hearne Brazos Bottom.
He married Sara Falco, daughter of J. T. Falco and Vincent Tusa Falco of Marlin, Texas, April 27, 1947. The marraige was performed in Marlin, Texas. Sara Falco Corpora attended school at Reagan, Texas and was graduated from Marlin High School of Marlin, Texas with the Class of 1940. The following children were born to Joseph Samuel and Sara Falco Corpora: Samuel Anthony Corpora, Audette Corpora, Joseph Samuel Corpora Jr., and Priscilla Jean Corpora.
Joseph Samuel Corpora and his family are communicants of St. Mary's Catholic Church. Sara Falco is member of St. Mary's Altar Society; a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post Auxiliary; and a member of the Hearne Parent-Teacher's Association.
Joseph Samuel Corpora is a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post of Hearne; a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars; and a member of the Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association.
son of Carl Cotropia and Beatrice Palermo
Cotropia, was born in the Brazos Bottom in Brazos County, Texas, June
10, 1910. His father and mother were born in Italy. He attended
the rural school at Stone City in Brazos County and later attended the
public schools of Houston. He was graduated from Sam Houston High
School in Houston with the Class of 1928. During his high school
days he was a member of the Sam Houston High School baseball team.
After completing his schooling he became engaged in farming in the Brazos Bottom with his father. During 1928 his father bought the Moreland Farm in the Hearne Brazos Bottom. This farm consisted of 514 acres. In 1932, in partnership with his brothers, Lawrence Cotropia and Anthony Cotropia, he bought 318 acres in the Brazos Bottom which made a total of 832 acres the Cotropia boys and their father owned and farmed. This partnership was later dissolved when the total acres owned and operated was 1575.
His parents, Carl Cotropia and Beatrice Palermo Cotropia were married in 1895. Carl Cotropia was born April 25, 1865 and died June 24, 1943. Beatrice Palermo Cotropia was born March 15, 1878 and died December 15, 1940.
After his parents had been in the United States for a while, they went back to Italy and lived there for two years, later returning to America to make their home. Upon their return they purchased 100 acres in the Brazos Bottom and raised cotton.
Frank Cotropia was married to Mary Ann DeStefano, daughter of Charles DeStefano and Lena Venteciola DeStefano, November 14, 1937. A daughter, Beatrice Joyce Cotropia, was born September 27, 1941 to Frank Cotropia and Mary Ann DeStefano Cotropia.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Cotropia are communicants of St. Mary's Catholic Church where Mrs. Cotropia is a member of St. Mary's Altar Society and a Sunday School Teacher. Frank Cotropia is a member of St. Mary's Men's Club.
COTROPIA, LAWRENCE, son of Carl Cotropia and Beatrice Palermo Cotropia, was
born September 1, 1915 in Brazos County, Texas. His father and
mother were born in Italy.
He attended the rural school at Stone City in Brazos County. In 1930 he moved to the Hearne Brazos Bottom and attended Hearne High School. He was graduated from Hearne High School with the Class of 1934, and played football with the Hearne High School Eagles in 1932 and 1933. During 1932, in partnership with his brothers Anthony and Frank Cotropia, he began farming in the Hearne Brazos Bottom. This partnership later purchased additional land in the Brazos Bottom until a total of 1575 acres was under cultivation. Later this partnership was dissolved and Lawrence Cotropia continued to operate 575 acres in farming and ranching.
On May 15, 1942 he entered the U. S. Army and served during World War I1. He received his discharge from military service December 25, 1945. In 1946 he returned to his farming and ranching activities in the Hearne Brazos Bottom.
Lawrence Cotropia married Rosalie Scarmardo, daughter of Sam C. Scarmardo and Josephine M. Scarmardo, July 28, 1946. Four children were born to Lawrence Cotropia and Rosalie Scarmando Cotropia: Kathleen Cotropia born April 25, 1948; Ray Lawrence Cotropia born June 30, 1949; Carl James Cotropia born October 10 1952; and Lisa Ann Cotropia born August 10, 1957.
Lawrence Cotropia and Rosalie Scarmardo Cotropia are communicants of St. Mary's Catholic Church. He is a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church Men's Club; a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; a member of the Robertson County Farm Bureau; a member of the Old Cotton Belt Association; a member of the Hearne Agriculture Foundation; a stockholder in the Westbrook Valley Gin Company; a former stockholder and Director of the Mumford Distributing Company; and a former stockholder and Director of the Plantation Dehydrating Company.
son of Mr. and Mrs. B. P. Couch, was born in Frost, Texas, October 7,
The Couch family moved to Fort Worth, Texas in 1924 and Olen
received the majority of his schooling in that city.
He was graduated from North Side High School in Fort Worth
with the Class of 1931 and then entered Arlington State College.
After his college days, he went to work for the Southwest Greyhound Bus Lines as ticket agent and worked for this company in major terminals throughout the state until he came to Hearne to make his home. He established the Couch Cafe and Bus Station in 1942 in Hearne. In addition to his business interests, he owns and operates a stock farm south of Hearne where he raises most of the meats used in his cafe. He was married to Miss Irene Mahan in Hearne, October 27, 1944. Mr. and Mrs. Couch have five children: Dorothy Couch, Carolyn Couch, Gale Couch, Linda Couch, and Nelda Couch.
He is a member of the Grace Methodist Church and a member of the Board of Education of the Hearne Independent School District.
WILLIAM ALLEN "UNCLE BILLY"
was born November 3, 1855 at Redland in Leon County, Texas.
He came to Hearne in 1892 to make his home and his first employment was with the C. L. Dillard Grocery Company from 1892 to 1897. During 1897 he was employed by the National Compress Company and worked in this position until his retirement in 1946, a period of 49 years of service.
"Uncle Billy" was married to Miss Sallie Elizabeth Smart at Jewett, Texas on January 19, 1892. Two sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. Craig; Seth Craig and Bertram Craig. Bertram Craig died in 1937.
Mr. Craig was a very active member of the Methodist Church where lie was a member of the Board of Stewards for 58 years and also sang in the church choir. He also served on the Board of Education of the Hearne School District. Mr. Craig died May 21, 1950 and Mrs. Craig died May 30, 1942.
was born in Dublin Ireland, May 26,1840. He
came to the United States in 1870 to Hearne, Texas.
He was employed by the International & Great Northern Railroad Company when that railroad was being constructed through Hearne. Later he formed a partnership in the firm of Crenan & Peeples Meat Market and prior to this he worked in Brown's Meat Market in Hearne.
Later he purchased his partner's part in the meat market business and became one of Hearne's leading businessmen. He acquired a large acreage of land in the Hearne area and dealt extensively in the livestock business. His meat market was on Fourth Street.
He helped to organize and served as the first President of the Hearne Building 8c Loan Association and helped to organize the First National Bank of Hearne. He accumulated large farm and ranching interests.
In 1878 he was married to Miss Ellen Kelly of Ennis, Texas, and the following children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Crenan: Bartle Crenan, Andy Crenan, Ellen Crenan Hudson, and Mary Crenan Covington. The following grandchildren of Mr. and Mrs. Crenan were born and reared in Hearne: William E. Hudson, Oliver G. Hudson Jr., Andy Hudson, Mary Ellen Hudson, Nancy Hudson, Ruth Hudson, Nita Hudson, and Mae Hudson.
Mr. Crenan died January 25, 1924.
WILLIAM EDWARD "DUDE",
was born at New Baden, Texas, May 5, 1920, the son of Frank Allen
Ora Winn Crowder.
He attended the public schools in Franklin for two years and the family moved to Hearne where he was graduated from Hearne High School in 1938. He was a member of the Hearne High School Band for five years. After graduating from high school he went to work for the A. & P. Grocery in Hearne and worked at this position for two years, leaving this employment to go to work for the Southern Pacific Railroad as a clerk in the Inglewood Yards in Houston, Texas.
He entered the U. S. Navy during World War II but resigned after serving nine months to enlist in the U. S. Army. While in the army he attended Southwestern State College at Alva, Oklahoma, and also attended the University of Georgia. Upon his discharge from the Army in 1945, he returned to Houston and worked for the Southern Pacific Railroad for six months. He came back to Hearne in 1946 to purchase the Aztec Cafe with his sister Mrs. Lucille Crowder Nale and they operated the cafe for three years. After selling this business in 1949, he opened Dude's Drive-In which he ran for one year. He spent the years of 1951 and 1952 working at the Brazos Auto Sales in Hearne. In 1953 he and his sister, Mrs. Nale, re-purchased, renovated, and re-named the Aztec Cafe to the Dixie Cafe.
He was married to Miss Elsa Rae Shaw of Hearne in Houston, Texas, January 18, 1947. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Crowder: Ruby Lynn Crowder and William Edward Crowder Jr.
He is a charter member of the Hearne Lions Club; an active member of the Hearne Volunteer Fire Department; and a member of the Miles Scriviner Post of the American Legion.
son of Dr. and Mrs. P. R. Cruse, was born at Houston, Texas, May 4,
He attended the Houston schools, graduating from San Jacinto High School with the Class of 1937. After graduating from high school he attended the University of Texas in Austin and later the University of Texas Medical College at Galveston, graduating in 1947. His internship and surgery residence was at Hermann Hospital at Houston, after which he entered private surgery practice in Houston for one year.
In 1952 he entered the U. S. Army and served two years in the Far East. After being released from the Army in 1954, he again entered private practice in Houston, remaining there until he moved to Hearne as surgeon at the Hearne General Hospital in November 1955.
He was married to Miss Pat Morrison of Portland, Oregon in Houston, Texas, February 10, 1945. Dr. and Mrs. Cruse have two children: Caren Cruse and Bobby Cruse.
The Cruses are Communicants of St. Philips Episcopal Church where Dr. Cruse has served as a member of the Vestry and also Secretary of the Vestry. He is a member of the Brazos-Robertson Medical Society; a member of the Texas Medical Association; a member of the American Medical Association; the AKK Medical Fraternity; member of the Hearne Golfer's Association; and a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce and the Hearne Rotary Club.
son of Mr. and Mrs. T. J. Culbreth, was born February 1, 1909 at
He attended school in Madisonville, graduating from Madisonville High School with the Class of 1926. He then attended business college in Tyler, Texas and completed a business course there in 1927. On March 21, 1927 he went to work for the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company in Houston, Texas and remained there until January 21, 1929 when he moved to Hearne to continue his work with that company. He now serves as Wire Chief at the Hearne telephone plant.
He was married to Miss Norma Thames of Hearne, July 13, 1929 and Mr. and Mrs. Culbreth have two sons: Terry P. Culbreth Jr. and Kenneth Culbreth; both sons attending and graduating from Hearne High School where they were both outstanding athletes.
Mrs. Culbreth is also a long-time employee with the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company her service beginning in 1940.
Mr. Culbreth is a Past President of the Hearne Lions Club; a member of the First Baptist Church; Past Worshipful Master of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge of Hearne; Past Worthy Patron of the local Order of the Eastern Star; a member of the 13th Degree team of Scottish Rite Masonic work in Austin; a past member of the Board of Education of the Hearne Independent School District; and a member of the Ben Hur Shrine Temple in Austin.
DR. HATCH WHITFIELD
was born in Aberdeen, Mississippi, September 14, 1869 and moved to
in 1894 to practice his profession.
He was married to Miss Pauline Eckerie and the following children were born to Dr. and Mrs. Cummings: Dr. H. W. Cummings Jr, Frances Cummings Swanson, Helen Cummings Graves, Sue Cummings Gibson, and Clemmie Cummings Barclay.
Dr. Cummings was long active in the affairs of the state medical association, having studied medicine at the Nashville Medical School. He was a member of the Board of Stewards of the Methodist Church from 1894 to 1946; served on the State Medical Board; was President of the P. & M. State Bank of Hearne; President of the Hearne Building & Loan Association; President of the Hearne School Board 1925 to 1929; President of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; served as Physician and Surgeon for the S. P. Railroad; a member of the Texas Railway Surgical Association; President and charter member of the Hearne Rotary Club; and served as President of the Texas State Medical Association.
Active in politics, he served for six years as a member of the State Democratic Executive Committee.
Dr. Cummings died July 29, 1946 after having practiced medicine in Hearne for 52 years.
Back to homepage
Page Modified: 18 August 2014
Copyright © 2014-present by
Copyright © 2014-present byJane Keppler. This information may be used by individuals for their own personal use, libraries and genealogical societies. Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission from Jane Keppler. If material is copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information and please email me and let me know. Neither the Site Coordinators nor the volunteers assume any responsibility for the information or material given by the contributors or for errors of fact or judgment in material that is published at this website.