TXGenWeb Robertson County Books & Master's Theses

H E A R N E   O N   T H E   B R A Z O S

By Norman Lowell McCarver, Sr. & Norman Lowell McCarver, Jr.
Century Press Of Texas, San Antonio, Texas
© 1958 by Norman Lowell McCarver
Lone Star Printing Company, San Antonio, Texas

Used with permission of Norman Lowell McCarver, Jr.  These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format by other organizations or individuals.

 

If you can help with any cemetery transcription, add tombstone photos, add your family or even add directions to ANY cemetery in Robertson County TX 

please contact

Jane Keppler OR Gale Gorman

 

 

Biographical Sketches - E

    EASTERWOOD, HENRY BASCOM was born in Lowndes County, Mississippi February 17, 1856, the son of William C. Easterwood and Martha G. Easterwood.  The parents of Henry Bascom Easterwood came to Texas in 1858 and after a brief stay in Bell County, Texas settled on a farm at Port Sullivan in Milam County on the Brazos River.
   
He attended school at Port Sullivan and at the age of 18 years in 1876 he began clerking for his elder brother, William E. Easterwood, in a store at Port Sullivan.  Later, he opened two more stores for his brother in Milam County.
   
In March 1880 he moved to Hearne, and on borrowed capital of $2200 he engaged in a grocery business of his own.  He soon secured a good trade, and with the growing prosperity of Hearne extended his line of operations into the largest general mercantile establishment in Hearne.  A two story brick building on the corner of Market and Fourth Street was built to house the Easterwood Mercantile Co.
   
Mr. Easterwood acquired considerable outside properties and interests, such as three farms which he operated, purchased and improved a number of town lots, ran a cotton gin, was vice president of the Hearne Building & Loan Association, helped organize a local cotton compress, served as president of the compress, president of the Brazos Valley Lumber Company, a stockholder and secretary-treasurer of the Hearne & Brazos Valley Railroad.  He also helped to organize the First National Bank of Hearne and served on the Board of Directors and also served on the Hearne City Council.  As an old saw has it . . . "he stood ready at all times to honor sight drafts on his time and services in behalf of good government-, the building up of local schools, and the promotion of all those things that tend to elevate, adorn or improve the society in which he moves."
   
In 1879 he was married to Miss Lillian Gohlman, daughter of S. L. Gohlman of Houston.  Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Easterwood; H. Goblman Easterwood, Floyd W. Easterwood, Vernon Easterwood, and Clarence Easterwood; daughters were: Clara Easterwood Klopp, Lillian Easterwood Beckham, Lucille Easterwood Kempen, and Evelyn Easterwood Hansard.
   
Henry Bascom Easterwood died June 5, 1919.  Lillian Gohlman Easterwood; who was born May 13, 1863, died December 28, 1933. 

ELY, EMMETT YATES SR., son of Lafayette Ely and Susan Frances Ely, was born at Gause, Texas, July 20, 1893.  His parents were pioneer citizens of the Gause community.
   
He spent his early boyhood at the family home near Gause and attended public school in that community, later attending the public schools of Hearne.
   
He was married to Miss Frances Kirkpatrick, daughter of Dewitt Kirkpatrick and Alice Gregg Kirkpatrick of San Saba, Texas, December 28, 1915.  A son, Emmett Yates Ely Jr. was born to Mr. and Mrs. Ely.  Emmett Yates Ely Jr. was married to Miss Sue Tucker of Weatherford, Texas and they have two children: Elaine Ely and David Ely.
   
In 1922, Mr. and Mrs. Emmett Yates Ely came to Hearne to make their home.  Since their residence in Hearne, Mr. Ely has engaged in cotton farming and ranching in the Brazos Bottom where he owns cotton lands.  Mr. Ely is a stockholder and member of the Board of Directors of the P & M State Bank of Hearne and is a member of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge where he has held membership since 1922. 

ELY, HOSEA ALBERT was born October 11, 1875, the son of Lafayette Ely and Susan Frances Fowler Ely, pioneer citizens of Milam County.  He lived and worked on the family farm during his boyhood. On May 20, 1896 he was married to Miss Emma Lucille Tabor at the Methodist Church in Cliriesman, Texas.  Mr. and Mrs. Ely had two daughters: Pansy, who died at the age of 19 months, and LaFayette Lucille Ely who was married to J. Bryan Peel.
   
Mr. and Mrs. Ely came to Hearne in 1901 where Mr. Ely was associated with his brother William Henry Ely for 56 years in the cattle and farming business, and this firm accumulated large cattle and land interests.  The Ely brothers name was prominent in the cattle and farming business in this area of the state.
   
Mrs. Ely was a charter member of the Hearne Garden Club, a member of the First Baptist Church, a member of the Hearne Shakespeare Club, a member of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas (San Jacinto Chapter of Houston), a member of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (Jefferson Davis Chapter of Houston), and many other civic and religious organizations.  Mrs. Ely's grandfather was a minister in Texas when Texas was a part of Mexico and she later owned a farm that was deeded to her grandfather by the Mexican Government.
   
Grandchildren of Mr. and Mrs. Ely are Hosea Bryan Peel and Emma Jane Peel Thomason, wife of Dr. Maurice Thomason.  Hosea Bryan Peel married Jean Haynie.
   
Hosea Albert Ely died April 5, 1944 and Mrs. Ely died October 31, 1952.

ELY, HUDSON PURVIS, (Lt.  Colonel, U. S. Army, Retired), son of Jay Gould Ely and Mary Lillie Purvis Ely, was born May 14, 1905 in Milano, Texas.
  
He moved to Hearne, Texas in 1912 and entered the Hearne Public Schools and also attended Hearne High School, playing football for the Hearne Eagles.  On December 10, 1923, he went to work for the H. & T. C. Railroad Company as a clerk in the Hearne yards.  During his railroad career, he has worked for this company as Yardmaster, Engine Foreman, and General Yardmaster.
  
On May 4, 1942, he entered the U. S. Army for active duty as a Second Lieutenant and received the following promotions: July 20, 1942, First Lieutenant; June 1943, Captain; May 16, 1945, Major; November 1, 1953, Lt. Colonel.  During his military career he attended anti-aircraft and guided missile school at Fort Bliss, advanced Transportation School at Fort Eustis, Virginia, schooling on warehousing and use of mechanical appliances.  He served two years as Railway Operations Superintendent in Australia and qualified in air, water, and rail transportation.  He commanded the 749th Railway Operating Battalion (a New York, New Haven and Hartford Battalion in the Philippines), and was decorated with the Bronze Star Medal and Philippine Presidential Citation for restoration work.
  
He also served as General Superintendent of Terminals and as a Colonel as General Superintendent of Transportation during the Korean War, supervising four Battalions in the operation of 1200 miles of railroads on the Korean National Railroad.  While operating from Headquarters of the 8th Army in Korea under General Maxwell D. Taylor's staff, he planned and supervised operations "Little Switch" which handled the return of sick and wounded and the "Big Switch," the return of North Koreans and Chinese prisoners; operation "Reclaim" when 5000 North Koreans and Chinese chose South Korea as home.  He was also active in the evacuation of Indian troops from the demilitarized zone and also supervised movement of the Korean capital from Pusan to Seoul.  After his return from the Korean tour of duty he served as Superintendent of Operations at Fort Eustis, Virginia Transportation Training Center.
  
During his military career he received the following decorations: Bronze Star Medal World War II; Bronze Star Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster Korean War; Commendation Medal with Metal Pendant; Chung Mu Medal with Gold Star (one of Korea's highest decorations); American Defense Medal; Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal with Five Battle Stars; Philippine Liberation Medal with Two Battle Stars; Korean Service Medal with Three Battle Stars; United Nations Service Medal; American Campaign Medal; World War II Victory Medal; Three Meritorious Service Emblems; Philippine Presidential Unit Citation; Korean Presidential Unit Citation; Reserve Medal with 20 years service; Texas Service Medal; Authorized 10 Service Bars; and numerous letters of commendation.  Lt. Colonel Hudson Purvis Ely was one of the most decorated railroad men in Korea.
  
He married Grace Emily Thorpe, daughter of Henry Hamilton Thorpe and Mollie Roberta Walker Thorpe, May 16, 1926, at Denton, Texas.  Mrs. Ely was born in Burleson County, Texas and moved to Hearne in 1921.  One child, Eugene Purvis Ely, was born to Colonel and Mrs. Ely.  Colonel and Mrs. Ely are members of the First Baptist Church and he is a member of the Brotherhood of Railway Trainmen, The National Defense Transportation Association, Life Member of Retired Officers Association, National Sojourners (Masonic Military), Heroes of 1776 (Masonic Military conferred to VIP's); a member of the National Rifle Association; and a member of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge #361 of Hearne.

ELY, JAY GOULD, son of LaFayette Ely and Susan Frances Fowler Ely, was born at Gause, Texas, May 14, 1883.
   
During his early childhood he attended school at Gause and worked on the family farm and ranch in Milam County.
   
On November 8, 1903, he was married to Miss Mary Lillie Purvis, daughter of Gavin Purvis and Mary Amanda McCain Purvis.  Mr. Purvis was born in Scotland and was graduated from the University of Glasgow and Edinburg.  He was a schoolteacher and the Purvis family lived at Burton in Washington County, Texas where Mrs. Ely was born November 15, 1885.
   
In 1912, Mr. and Mrs. Ely moved to Hearne.  During their early residence in Hearne, Mr. Ely was associated with his two brothers, William Henry Ely and Hosea Albert Ely, in ranching, farming, and meat market business.  Jay Gould Ely also owns ranching and farming interest of his own and has been associated in this type of business during his entire lifetime.
   
Both Mr. and Mrs. Ely have been associated with the business and social life of Hearne during their entire residence and both are long-time members of the Baptist Church, being very active in this religious organization.
   
Mr. and Mrs. Ely have three sons: Hudson Purvis Ely, Hosea Will Ely, James Carroll Ely; and one daughter: Mary Frances Ely Howard.
 

ELY, ROY 0., son of William Henry Ely and Myra Walker Ely, was born at Gause, Texas, February 7, 1895.  When he was seven weeks old, his parents moved to Hearne and he has continued to live in Hearne.
   
He attended the Hearne Public Schools and was graduated from Tyler Commercial College in July 1914.  After finishing his education, he was employed by the Planters and Merchants State Bank of Hearne as a bookkeeper (this position also included such details as sweeping the bank floors and emptying the spittoons at that time).
   
During World War I he was in the U. S. Armed forces for almost two years.  After receiving his military discharge in 1919 he returned to Hearne to resume employment there as Cashier, later becoming Vice-president.  He held these positions for over twenty years.  In 1949 he assumed the duties of President of the Planters & Merchants State Bank.  He has also been connected with the Hearne Building & Loan Association and now serves as director of this organization.  His first connection with the Hearne Building 8c Loan Association began in 1914.
   
He has a son, William Stephen Ely, who was born in Hearne and attended public school and graduated from Hearne High School and Oberlin College.
   
Roy 0. Ely is a member of the Baptist Church and the Hearne Masonic Lodge and also holds membership in the Scottish Rite of Austin and his Shrine membership is at Waco, Texas.  He has served as President of the Hearne Welfare Council, Treasurer of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce, a former member of the Rotary Club, a former member of the Hearne School Board, a member of the Hearne Golfer's Association, and a charter member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post. 

ELY, WILLIAM HENRY, son of Lafayette Ely and Susan Frances Fowler Ely, was born near Milamo in Milam County, Texas, January 25, 1865.
   
In 1885 he was married to Miss Myra Walker who was born February 14, 1870.  He and Mrs. Ely moved to Hearne in 1895 and he engaged in the business of cattle raising, farming, and meat market owner.
   
In 1902 he was elected as County Commissioner and served in this capacity until 1912.  He also served as a member of the Hearne School Board for 6 years.  Elected to the Hearne City Council in 1919 he served in this capacity for two years and then was elected Mayor in 1921 and served until 1937.  Mr. Ely was a tireless worker in any progressive movement for Hearne and during his service as Mayor many public improvements in the city were accomplished.
   
Mr. Ely aided in the organizing of the Planters & Merchants State Bank and the Hearne Building & Loan Association.  At the time of his death he was serving as vice president of both organizations.
   
During his many years in the business life of Hearne, Mr. Ely was associated with his brother H. A. Ely in the cattle and farming business and accumulated vast land and property holdings in this area.
   
The following children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Ely: Arna L. Ely, Roy 0. Ely, Elsie Ely, Willie Ely Erwin, Frances Ely Bluestein, Ruby Ely Stephens, Katie Ely Thames, Addie Ely Moss, and Eleanor Ely Lincoln.
   
Mr. Ely died March 5, 1948 and Mrs. Ely died February 5, 1949. 

ESCOUBAS, JOHN HENRY, the son of Albert Escoubas and Rosalee Pickard Escoubas, was born September 1, 1917 in Sulphur, Louisiana in Calcasieu Parish.
  
He attended public school in that city and was graduated from Sulphur, Louisiana High School with the Class of 1935.
  
Upon graduating from high school he worked on a rice farm in Louisiana, and in 1936 he moved to Baytown, Texas where he attended Lee junior College studying business administration.  During this same year, he secured employment with Steinberg & Maas Wholesale Grocery Company of Baytown and worked for this firm until 1940.  On March 17, 1940 he began his employment with the Humble Oil gc Refining Company at Baytown and on March 17, 1953 he was transferred to Hearne, Texas where he was placed in charge of sales at the Humble Products Station.
  
He was married March 10, 1939 to Miss Janie Lorrene Roberts, daughter of Charles Charpin Roberts and Daisy Ruth Rice Roberts of Baytown, Texas.  Children born to Mr. and Mrs. Escoubas are: Melba Ruth Escoubas, Lorana Jean Escoubas, Sherridan Escoubas, and Kathryn Sue Escoubas.
  
Mr. and Mrs. Escoubas and their family are members of the First Baptist Church where Mr. Escoubas serves as Sunday School Superintendent and as a teacher of a boy’s class.
  
In 1957 he was elected by the citizens of Hearne to serve as a member of the Hearne City Council.  He is a member of the Hearne Rotary Club, the Hearne Masonic Lodge, a member and past President of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce, has served as County Chairman for the American Red Cross, served as a scoutmaster, and Disaster Chairman of the Robertson County Red Cross Chapter.

EVANS, EUGENE P. "HOG" was born in Columbia, Tennessee July 17, 1882, the son of John R. Evans and Judith Brown Evans.
   
He came to Texas with his parents when he was a small boy and was a resident of Hearne and vicinity for more than 50 years.
   
Mr. Evans was married to Miss Jessie Mathews on October 16, 1907.  Mrs. Evans was born September 11, 1882.  Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Evans: Eugene P. Evans Jr., Agnes Evans, and Robert E. Evans.
   
A lover of outdoor life and sports, Mr. Evans chose farming as his first work when he grew to manhood.  He was a plantation manager in the Brazos Botton in the days of big crops and good prices for cotton and other farm products and also farmed on his own at different times.
   
For twelve years he served on the police force of the City of Hearne, retiring from this work in 1937.  "Hog" Evans was loved by the young and old alike and took a great interest in hunting, fishing, and following local athletic teams.  During his younger days, he was quite a semi-pro baseball player and his interest in the sport was never lost.  His son E. P. Evans Jr. is division superintendent for the Southern Pacific Railroad and his other son, Robert E. Evans, was an outstanding baseball player for the University of Texas and later was a football coach at the University of Houston.
   
Eugene P. "Hog" Evans died January 11, 1942 and Mrs. Evans died May 15, 1951.

 

Page Modified: 25 January 2012

Back to Cemetery Index

Back to Robertson County Main Page

 

                                                                          

 


Copyright April 2011-present by Jane Keppler. This information may be used by individuals for their own personal use, libraries and genealogical societies. Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission from Jane Keppler. If material is copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information and please email me and let me know. Neither the Site Coordinators nor the volunteers assume any responsibility for the information or material given by the contributors or for errors of fact or judgment in material that is published at this website.