H E A R N E O N T H E B R A Z O S
Used with permission of Norman Lowell McCarver, Jr. These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format by other organizations or individuals.
If you can help with any cemetery transcription, add tombstone photos, add your family or even add directions to ANY cemetery in Robertson County TX
Biographical Sketches - G
GABLE, ELVY CHALMERS, son of Grover Cleveland
Gable and Thuressa Irene Duke Gable, was born at Walter, Alabama,
September 26, 1910.
He attended school at Cullman, Alabama and was graduated from Central High School at Decatur, Alabama with the Class of 1930. After finishing high school he attended the University of Texas at Austin.
In 1934 he accepted employment with the Pictorial Review Company and this employment continued until 1936. In 1936 he owned and operated a drug store at Pleasanton, Texas until 1939. From 1939 until 1942 he owned and operated an auto supply store at Seguin, Texas.
In 1942 he entered the U. S. Air Force and served during World War II. He received his discharge from military service in September 1944 and went to work for the Pan American Airways at Miami, Florida and worked for this firm until 1946.
On March 1, 1946 in partnership with Bill Palmos, Demetre Palmos, and John R. Grace, he became associated in the Super Sales Auto Supply Store in Hearne, Texas. In February 1952 he established Gables Auto Supply Store in Hearne.
Elvy Chalmers Gable married Altie Palmos, daughter of George B. Palmos and Bobbie Rixney Greer Palmos of Hearne, Texas, April 24, 1934, at Austin, Texas. Altie Palmos Gable was born in Hearne, Texas and attended the Hearne public schools. She graduated from Hearne High School with the Class of 1931. She attended Mary Hardin Baylor College, Texas A. & M. College, the University of Texas, Texas State College for Women, Southwest State Teachers College, and Sam Houston State Teachers College. She received her B.S. Degree from Texas State College for Women in 1936 and her Master of Education Degree from Sam Houston State Teachers College in 1955.
Elvy Chalmers Gable and Altie Palmos Gable have a son, Chalmers Duke Gable. Elvy Chalmers Gable is a member of Grace Methodist Church; a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post of Hearne; a member of the Hearne Lions Club; a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; and a member of the Camp Creek Water Company. Altie Palmos Gable is a member of Grace Methodist Church of Hearne; a member of the Woman's Society of Christian Service; a member of the Order of the Eastern Star; a member of the Business & Professional Women's Club; a member of the Hearne Study Club; a member of the Hearne Welfare Association; a member of the State Teachers Association; a member of the Robertson County Teachers Association; a member of the Hearne junior Music Lovers Club; and a teacher in the Hearne public schools.
GALLAGHER, DR. JOSEPH CHARLES, was born December 12, 1919
at Rossford, Ohio, the son of Joseph Charles Gallagher and Gertrude
He attended grade school at Rossford, Ohio and later moved to Toledo, Ohio where he was graduated from St. John's High School with the Class of 1937. In 1937 he entered the University of Toledo where he was graduated with a B. S. Degree in 1941. He entered Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, Missouri and received his medical degree in 1944. He interned at the Missouri Baptist Hospital in St. Louis and his residency training was received at Barnes General Hospital in St. Louis.
He practiced in Toledo, Ohio during 1947-48 and then moved to Marlin, Texas where he became a member of the staff at Buie Clinic.
In September 1954 he moved to Hearne, Texas and became associated with the Medical &- Surgical Clinic and the Hearne General Hospital.
Dr. Joseph Charles Gallagher married Elaine V. Brandle, daughter of Theodore Charles Brandle and Dolly Brandle of Bourbon, Missouri in May 1946. Elaine Brandle Gallagher was born April 1, 1920 at Bourbon, Missouri. Dr. and Mrs. Gallagher have three children: Sandra jean Gallagher, Joseph Charles Gallagher III, and Debra Elaine Gallagher. Elaine Brandle Gallagher was graduated from Bourbon, Missouri High School and attended and graduated from Missouri Baptist School of Nursing and the Barnes General Hospital School of Nursing and Anesthesia. She is a member of the Texas Nurse Anesthetists Society and the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists.
Dr. Joseph Charles Gallagher is a member of the Brazos-Robertson Medical Society; The Texas Medical Society; the American Medical Association; American College of Allergists; American Society of Eye, Ear, Nose, and Throat Allergies; a member of the Mental Health Committee of the Texas Medical Society; a communicant of St. Mary's Catholic Church; a member of the Board of Directors of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; Chairman of the Industrial Committee of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; a member of the Hearne Agriculture Foundation; and District Chairman for Robertson-Brazos County Boy Scouts of America.
son of Dr. William Marion Garrett and Mary Reading Garrett, was born
23, 1914 in Crandall, Kaufman County, Texas.
He moved to Edna, Texas with his parents in 1918 and attended the public schools in that city, graduating from Edna High School with the Class of 1931. After finishing high school he attended Victoria junior College at Victoria, Texas. Later he was employed at a theater in Edna and also was employed by an oil pipeline company.
In 1933 he was employed by the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company and worked for this company in Houston, Beaumont, Silsbee, and Huntsville in the East Texas District. He was transferred to Hearne in 1936 and worked until 1942 when he enlisted in the U. S. Army to serve during World War II in the Southwest Pacific area. He was discharged from military service February 5, 1945 and returned to Hearne to continue his employment with the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company. He terminated his employment with the telephone company August 25, 1947 and established Garrett Studio & Camera Shop on Fourth Street in Hearne.
He was married in Hearne to Miss Jimmie Lee Mason, daughter of Charles Mason and Polly West Mason of Rockdale, Texas, October 29, 1939. Mrs. Garrett was born in Rockdale and attended public schools in that city, graduating from Rockdale High School with the Class of 1931. She was employed by the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company for several years in Hearne. She was associated with Mr. Garrett in the Garrett Studio & Camera Shop from 1947 through 1957.
Mr. Garrett was active in the business life of Hearne and was a former member of the Hearne Volunteer Fire Department.
Early in 1958, Mr. and Mrs. Garrett sold their studio and moved to Louisiana to make their home.
son of Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Gean, was born in Sheridan, Arkansas, July 9,
He attended and was graduated from high school in that city and later attended Henderson State Teachers College at Arkadelphia, Arkansas graduating in 1935. While attending college he taught mathematics and science and also taught for two years after completing his college work.
He went to work for Magnolia Petroleum Company in Louann, Arkansas in 1937 and moved to Hearne, March 17, 1948 to continue his employment with that company.
He was married to Miss Mildred Walker in Chidester, Arkansas, June 3, 1934 and a daughter, Kay Gean, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Gean. Mrs. Gean is a teacher in the Hearne Public Schools. Kay Gean graduated from Hearne High School where she was valedictorian of the 1957 class. In receiving this honor she followed in the footsteps of her parents who were also valedictorians of their high school classes and also their college classes.
The Geans are members of the First Baptist Church of Hearne and Mr. Gean holds membership in the Masonic Lodge of Chidester, Arkansas.
HUGO D. was born in Switzerland, October 31, 1878, the son of Mr. and
Mrs. H. Gode, He
came to America with his parents in 1880 and settled in San Antonio,
The family later moved to Franklin, Texas where his father was
the cafe and saloon business, and it was also in Franklin that Mr. Gode
his public school education. Three
of Mr. Gode's sisters were born in America; Mrs. Bertha M. Beaumont,
Mrs. D. M.
Goodrich, and Mrs. T. R. Morgan. Bob Gode
was another member of the Gode family and he made
his home in New Braunfels, Texas.
Hugo D. Gode is a deacon in the First Baptist Church, a member of the Hearne Masonic Lodge, a member of the Hearne Rotary Club, and a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce.
For many years, Mr. Gode has been employed by the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company, being first employed by this company in 1901. He served this company at Trinity, Texas; Troup, Texas; and Round Rock, Texas before coming to Hearne to serve as freight agent.
Children of Mr. Gode are: L. M. Gode, H. A. Gode, R. K. Gode, Marvin H. Gode, Thelma Gode Nieman, and Mrs. W. B. Collier.
Hugo D. Gode died September 24, 1958.
GRACE, JUDGE JOHN RAYMOND, son of Phillip Oscar Grace
and Mollie Sandifer Grace, was born March 19, 1904 in Robertson County,
Texas in the sand hills between Calvert and Franklin. He attended
the rural school at Center near Little Mississippi. Later he
attended public school in Calvert, Texas and was graduated from Calvert
High School with the Class of 1925. He attended Baylor University
and graduated with the Class of 1931 with an LLB Degree. While
attending Baylor University he was a member of the football team for
two years. He won track letters for three years and participated
in the shot put and discus throw, winning first place in, the shot put
in the Southwest Conference Track Sc Field Meet in 1930. During
1930 he was co-captain of the Baylor University track team.
In 1932 he was elected to serve as County Attorney for Robertson County and took over the duties of this office January 1, 1933. He served in this capacity for three consecutive elective terms and completed his third term December 31, 1938.
On January 1, 1939 he moved to Hearne, Texas and formed a law partnership with judge J. Felton Lane under the firm name of Lane & Grace, and continued this partnership until the time of judge Lane's death in June 1942. He continued his practice of law in Hearne and in October 1945 formed a partnership with judge Bill Palmos under the firm name of Grace & Palmos.
In September 1955, he was appointed General Counsel of the State Bar of Texas and moved to Austin, Texas to assume his new duties.
In addition to his law practice in Hearne, judge John Raymond Grace, in partnership with judge Bill Palmos, Demetre Palmos, and E. C. Gable formed the Super Sales organization, a retail automobile parts agency and an automobile agency on Market Street. judge Grace has also been active in farming and ranching activities in Hearne and the Brazos Bottom area since 1940.
judge John Raymond Grace was married to Julia Frances Neilson, daughter of Adrian B. Neilson and Beulah Ingraham Neilson, at West, Texas, June 9, 1931. Julia Frances Neilson Grace attended the West schools and was graduated from West High School and later attended Baylor University at Waco. Mrs. Grace is a former member of Grace Methodist Church; the Hearne Shakespeare Club; and the Heane Music Club.
Judge John Raymond Grace served as City Attorney for the City of Hearne from June 1942 until April 1945. He has served as County Chairman of the American Red Cross; is a former member and Director of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; a charter member and former president of the Hearne Lions Club; served two years as a member of the Board of Directors of the State Bar of Texas; in 1938 served as Vice President of the County-District Attorneys Association of Texas; a former member of the Hearne Rotary Club; a member of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge of Hearne; a member of the Scottish Rite of Austin, Texas; Shrine (Harem Temple, Waco); a member of the Highland Park Baptist Church of Austin; a member of the Travis County Bar Association; a member of the State Bar of Texas; a member of the American Bar Association; and a charter member of the Hearne DCC.
son of J. E. Gray and Mamie Goggan Gray, was born in Caldwell, Texas,
In 1894, at the age of 9 years, he came to Hearne to make his home when the family moved from their home in Caldwell.
He attended the public schools in Hearne and at the early age of 16 years he began his employment with the H. & T. C. Railroad, this employment continuing for a period of 44 years.
He was married to Miss Jessie Massey, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Massey of Hearne. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Gray: Martha Alice Gray Westmoreland and Evelyn Gray who married Bill "Jitterbug" Henderson, famed Texas A. & M. College athlete.
Mr. Gray, who died in 1945, was a very worthy citizen of Hearne and a Christian gentleman whose faith was exemplified in his everyday life.
His mother, Mamie Goggan Gray, was born in Alabama and came to Texas with her family and settled in Millican, then later moved to Hearne. She made her home in Hearne until 1916 then moved to Houston where she died at the age of 90 years. She was very active in the Baptist Church of Hearne. To celebrate her 90th birthday, she had her first airplane ride, traveling from Houston to Galveston.
Children of Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Gray were: Harry Gray, Ella Gray Hall, Alice Gray Crocker, Winnie Gray Sally, John Gray, and J. P. Gray.
JOHN WILLIE was born at DuBach, Louisiana, February 2, 1875, the son of John
and Elizabeth Wright Green.
With his parents and members of his family he moved to Elliott in Robertson County, Texas when he was a small child and was reared to young manhood in that community before he moved to Hearne to accept employment.
He was married to Miss Maud Owens of Calvert, Texas. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Green: Hixie Elizabeth Green Biggerstaff, Frances Louvenia Green McCown, and Dr. John W. Green Jr.
He was employed in railroad work for a period of 47 years, being freight agent for the H. gc T. C. Railroad and prior to this employment he was with the old Hearne &- Brazos Valley Railroad Company, this railroad later being purchased by the Southern Pacific Railroad Company.
Mr. Green was a lifelong member of the Baptist Church and served that congregation as Church Treasurer several years, was a member of the Board of Deacons, and served as Choir Director.
For 18 years he was a part owner of the Hamilton Dry Goods Company, a firm that he helped to establish; J. T. Hamilton and T. A. Cullum being the other partners in the firm.
In his early manhood he became affiliated with the Masonic Lodge and was a highly respected member of that body. He was also a member of the Hearne Rotary Club and the Hearne Chamber of Commerce.
John W. Green died August 15, 1942 after serving many years as a useful and respected citizen of Hearne. Mrs. Green died September 15, 1914.
was born in Louisiana, November 15, 1864 and moved with his family to
1875. The family settled in Robertson
County in the Elliott
community where Mr. Green grew to young manhood.
His parents were John Bradley Green and Elizabeth Wright Green.
In 1884 he was married to Miss Olive McWilliams who was born in Shelby County, Texas and reared in the Blackjack community just east of Hearne. To this union was born two sons: Thomas Edgar Green and Johnie Green; and six daughters: Gladys Green, Mary Green, Bessie Green, Corrie Green, Mattie Green, and Eloise Green. Corrie Green was married to Claude Allen and Gladys Green was married to Ben F. Rikard. Mrs. Green passed away in 1917.
Mr. Green's second marriage was to Annie Laurie Purifoy.
In early manhood Mr. Green was employed by the H. B. Easterwood Mercantile Company, a general merchandise store in Hearne, and worked for this firm for 30 years. In 1916 Mr. Green went into the retail grocery business for himself and continued in this business up to the time of his death January 28, 1924.
He was honored by his fellow citizens in being elected to serve for many years on the Hearne City Council. He was active in the First Baptist Church and served on the Board of Deacons.
GREEN, THOMAS EDGAR, son of Robert Lee Green
and Ada McWilliams Green, was born at Elliott in Robertson County,
Texas, November 22, 1885. His father was born in Alabama in 1864
and his mother was born at Blackjack in Robertson County, Texas in
1869. Thomas Edgar Green moved to Hearne, Texas with his family
in 1889. His father was employed as farm manager on the H. B.
Easterwood farms around Hearne.
He attended the public school in Hearne that was held in the old Masonic Building located on Cedar Street. The teacher of this school was Miss Carrie Hostrasser, a pioneer citizen of Hearne.
In 1906, Thomas Edgar Green was employed as a clerk in the freight station of the H. & T. C. Railroad Company in Hearne and worked in this position for six years under J. T. Palms, freight agent of this railroad. On October 19, 1919, he went to work for the Humble Pipe Line Company at Hearne as a telegraph operator. In 1926, he was an oiler for this company at the Hearne pump station. In 1930, he was promoted to station engineer. He retired from the Humble Pipe Line Company, November 22, 1950 with 31 years of service.
Thomas Edgar Green married Willine Clark, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. William Clark of Hearne, Texas March 6, 1907. His wife was born in Houston, Texas in 1889 and her father was a switchman for the H. & T. C. Railroad Company in the Hearne yards. The following children were born to Thomas Edgar Green and Willine Clark Green: Lenora Green, Ruth Green, Thomas Edgar Green Jr., Ada Pearl Green, Jewel Green, William Lee Green, Mary Louvenia Green, and James August Green. All of their children attended the public schools of Hearne and Hearne High School.
Thomas Edgar Green has been a member of the First Baptist Church since 1899. He was a member of the Humble Employees Federation and has been a member of the Modern Woodmen of the World since 1910. He lived at 409 Riley Street in Hearne for 47 years before selling his home in 1957.
Willine Clark Green died in 1939.
On April 2, 1942, Thomas Edgar Green married Elta Nola Murphy of Hearne, Texas. Two sons, Randall J. Rogers and Gerald Rogers, were born to Elta Nola Green by a previous marriage.
was born November 20, 1893 on the family farm in Waller County, Texas
Hempstead, the son of James Lawrence Greenwood and Adeline Emily
He attended school in the rural community and later attended the Union School. After his schooling he farmed for five years. In 1917 he became a barber and worked at Waller, Texas. Later he moved to Hempstead and continued his profession in that city. He also worked for one year in a barbershop in the Brazos Hotel in Houston, Texas.
He moved to Hearne, Texas, March 5, 1926. On October 22, 1916 he married Mabel Claire Bennatt, daughter of William Marcus Bennatt and Ida Ola Allen Bennett, at Union Church near Hempstead, Texas. Mrs. Greenwood's parents were prominent pioneer citizens of Waller County, Texas, her father having been born in the Dr. Leonard Groce home, "Liendo" in 1860. This home, built in 1853, is a beautiful plantation home located near Hempstead. Mrs. Greenwood is a direct descendant of John Chiles, a member of the First Continental Congress and a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Greenwood are members of Grace Methodist Church, Mr. Greenwood being a member of the Board of Stewards. Mr. Greenwood is a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce and the Hearne Golfer's Association.
Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Greenwood: Ida Ola Greenwood Knapp, Marian Greenwood Yelverton, and Charles Allen Greenwood.
was born January 25, 1867 in Hearne, Texas.
He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Willis Griffiin, pioneer citizens
Hearne community, and he lived his entire lifetime in Hearne.
He was married to Miss Lou Shaw, and two children were born to
daughter, Grace Griffin Adkisson, and a son T. P. Griffin Jr. Mr. and
Griffin had one grandson, Marsene Adkisson.
Mr. Griffin was elected City Marshal of Hearne in 1894 at the age of 27 years and served in this capacity for 43 years, being elected to this office 21 consecutive times without suffering a single defeat at the polls.
After one of his campaigns for the office one of his opponents was reported to have said, "I lost the election to old Chief, but I found out one thing. There are more liars in Hearne than any place in the world." This opponent collected the sum total of five votes in the race. In another election, another opponent of the Chief's is reported to have said after the election, "A man who doesn't have any more friends than I have should have a permit to carry a gun." This opponent received three votes.
Chief Griffin retired from the office of City Marshal in 1937 after serving in this capacity for 43 years. After his retirement he remained on the police force as a 'special' officer up to the time of his death.
During his long tenure of office, Chief Griffiin was recognized as one of the most efficient peace officers of the state, displaying unusual skill and insight as a detective, capturing many fugitives from justice and fearlessly and impartially fulfilled the duties of his office. In the early years of Chief Griffin's service, Hearne was known as a tough town being located at the crossroads of two main line railroads. Many tough characters frequented the town and there were many saloons where the usual toughs congregated to settle their differences. Throughout his long years of service, Hearne citizens looked to Chief Griffin for law and order, in fact, the name Chief Griffin, meant law and order.
He was a courageous peace officer and feared no man while he respected the rights of all. It has been said that he could see a man across the street and tell whether he had a gun on or not.
Chief Griffin wore a big badge, a large Texas Star, which was presented to him by officials of Anderson County, Texas in appreciation for his part in arresting a notorious criminal. No mob ever took a prisoner from him but twice it was attempted and he placed the prisoners on horses and told them to "follow me" and he took them to another jail and safety.
His knack of spotting and picking up criminals earned him statewide notoriety among peace officers, and as a result the criminal element soon learned to detour when passing through the Hearne territory.
Chief Griffin served Hearne in the days when the phrase, "Hearne, Hempstead and Hell" was coined, and in those days this phrase was to be taken literally. It meant just what it says ... Hearne was real tough. The big pearl-handled, silver-plated Colt 45 that Chief Griffin carried was a present from a group of Hearne business men and it helped the Chief in many occasions in his dealings with the early Hearne desperadoes.
As the years went by and Chief Griffin was advanced to the rank of "Hearne Pioneer," there is every reason to believe that he found happiness and contentment amid the scenes of a quiet and law abiding Texas town that he tamed, and loved throughout a useful and long life.
With the passing of Chief Griffin March 9, 1947, at the age of 80 years, Hearne lost a man who typified the early day Texas Marshal - the kind that added such a colorful and glorious chapter to the history of Texas.
was born in Tennessee and attended the public schools of Jackson,
He married Miss Lee Beckham, daughter of Beverley W. Beckham and Sidney Carr Beckham of Hearne. One child was born to Mr. and Mrs. Grogan, a daughter, Sidney Grogan Robedeau.
Patrick S. Grogan was a resident of Hearne for many years where he was an official of the South Texas Cotton Oil Company. He was a pioneer in the Texas cottonseed oil business and established several cotton seed oil plants in Texas. He served as president of the Magnolia Provision Company of Houston, president of the Magnolia Cotton Oil Company of Giddings, Texas, President of the Planters Oil Company of Hearne and Taylor, and was managing director of the Fort Bend Cotton Oil Company of Richmond, Texas.
Patrick S. Grogan died at the age of 64 years.
DR. HENRY CALVIN,
son of Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Guynes, was born at Elliott, Texas, July 27,
seventh child of a seventh child.
When he was six years old in 1923 the family moved to Hearne and he attended the Hearne elementary school. He entered Hearne High School in 1931 and graduated with the Class of 1935. His freshman year in college was spent at the University of Texas. He then transferred to the University of North Carolina and after two years entered the North Carolina Medical School where he received a B. S. Degee in Medicine in 1939. He completed his medical training there in 1940 and transferred to Tulane University where he received his M. D. June 3, 1942.
His internship was at Southern Baptist Hospital in New Orleans. He then enlisted in the U. S. Army Medical Corps and served during World War II until 1946 when he was released from active military duty. He then entered a general residency at John D. Archibald Memorial Hospital at Thomasville, Georgia for four months. In January 1947 he began practicing medicine at Mathis, Texas and during this same year he moved to Hearne and joined Dr. Elvin M. Boyd in the operation of the Hearne Clinic Hospital. These two doctors later built the Hearne General Hospital.
On November 18, 1942, Dr. Henry Calvin Guynes was married to Miss Jessie Mae Curry in Woodville, Mississippi. Three children were born to Dr. and Mrs. Guynes: Nancy Gene Guynes, Marvin Curry Guynes, and Catherine Calvina Guynes.
Dr. Guynes, a member of the American Legion and Army reserve, is a respected anesthesia specialist in this section of the state.
He has served as a member and as Secretary of the Board of Education of the Hearne Independent School District and was the 'adopted' doctor to the Hearne Eagle athletic teams for a number of years. During his high school days he was captain of the Hearne Eagles Football Team in 1934. He is a former member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce and the Hearne Rotary Club. Dr. Guynes and his family are members of the Baptist Church.
Page Modified: 25 January 2012
Copyright © April 2011-present by Jane Keppler. This information may be used by individuals for their own personal use, libraries and genealogical societies. Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission from Jane Keppler. If material is copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information and please email me and let me know. Neither the Site Coordinators nor the volunteers assume any responsibility for the information or material given by the contributors or for errors of fact or judgment in material that is published at this website.