H E A R N E O N T H E B R A Z O S
Used with permission of Norman Lowell McCarver, Jr. These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format by other organizations or individuals.
If you can help with any cemetery transcription, add tombstone photos, add your family or even add directions to ANY cemetery in Robertson County TX
Biographical Sketches - H
son of Mr. and Mrs. I. J. Haas, was born in Vienna, Austria, January
With his parents, he moved to the United States in 1905 and became a naturalized American citizen in 1910.
His early education was received from St. Joseph's Parochial School in San Antonio, Texas and he attended senior college for two years. He enlisted in the United States Army in 1918 and served during World War I, receiving his military discharge in 1919.
After completing his military service he was employed in San Antonio by the Southern Pacific Railroad Company. In 1927 he went to work for the Pacific Fruit Express Company. In 1929 he moved to Hearne as the first agent for the Pacific Fruit Express Agency, this company having finished construction and placed into operation a 45 car icing platform in Hearne.
He was married to Miss Mary Schrempp at Boerne, Texas, September 2, 1921. Mr. and Mrs. Haas have two children; Phillip J. Haas Jr. and Marlene Haas.
Mr. Haas was honored by the citizens of Hearne by being elected to serve as a member of the Hearne City Council for a period of six years. He also served as Mayor Pro-Tem during this same period. He has been active in local youth work and he and his family are communicants of St. Mary's Catholic Church.
was born March 4, 1873 at Greshamville, Green County, Georgia, the son
J. Hall and Sarah Pyron Hall.
He lived in the Georgia home, in which five other children were born, until he was 22 years of age. At the insistence of a friend, he came to Texas in 1895 settling in Hearne where he was employed by H. B. Easterwood, who at that time conducted one of the largest mercantile establishments in this section of the state.
In 1897 he went into business for himself opening Hall's Cafe and Saloon on the corner of Magnolia and Third Streets.
On October 6, 1897 he was married to Miss Libbie Burney, daughter of Patrick S. Burney and Sallie High Burney of Madison, Georgia.
Hearne honored Mr. Hall by electing him to serve as a member of the Hearne City Council and as a member of the Hearne School Board. He was very instrumental in the organizing of the McGuire School District east of Hearne.
A Baptist by faith, I. D. Hall was known as a man kindly disposed toward citizens of all walks of life. He was generous and charitable and his love for children was a beautiful element in his life. Mr. and Mrs. Hall had two children: Patrick Burney Hall and a daughter, Libbie Hall McCarver.
Isaac David Hall died June 24, 1934 and Mrs. Hall passed away January 31, 1941.
PATRICK BURNEY SR.,
son of Isaac David Hall and Libbie Burney Hall, was born at Madison,
October 26, 1898. His father came
to Hearne from Georgia in 1895 and returned to Georgia where he was
He attended Hearne Public School and was graduated from Hearne High School with the Class of 1918 and then entered Texas A. & M. College.
Upon the completion of his education, he became associated with D. R. Adkisson & Company, cotton buyers of Hearne and worked with this firm in Hearne and Marlin. During the early 1920's he made two trips to Germany by working on the ships to pay for his transportation.
He continued his connection with the D. R. Adkisson Company until 1932 when he entered the feed store business and located this firm on Third Street. In 1933 he established The Pat Hall Company, a garage and service station business on Cedar Street in the business district. Along with this firm he was a partner in the B-H Finance Company. During this same year, in partnership with G. D. Martin the Martin-Hall Company, an automobile dealership was established in Hearne.
In 1934, in addition to the other business enterprises he was connected with, he took over the ownership and active management of Hall's Cafe and Bus Station located on Magnolia Street. This cafe business had originally been established by his father in 1897.
On June 1, 1926 be was married to Miss Mabel Smith, daughter of William Arlington Smith and Mary Holland Whitely Smith of Gatesville, Texas. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Hall: Patrick Burney Hall Jr., Isaac David Hall, William Arlington Hall, and Mabel Smith Hall who married Frank N. McMillan Jr.
Mr. Hall was active in the business and civic life of Hearne and was a member of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge, the Hearne Chamber of Commerce, and for many years served on the Vestry of St. Philips Episcopal Church and was also Church Treasurer. He was one of Hearne's most respected and loved young business men. Patrick Burney Hall died December 22, 1939.
JOE J. SR., son of James J. Hall and Sarah Pyron Hall, was born
at Greshamville, Green County, Georgia, August 7, 1870. He came
to Texas to make his home in the 1890s and settled at Hearne,
Texas. At one time, he published a newspaper in Hearne and later
became a traveling salesman for various wholesale establishments.
He married Ella Gray, daughter of J. E. Gray and Mamie Boggan Gray, of Hearne, Texas. The following children were born to John H. Hall and Ella Gray Hall: Joe J. Hall Jr., Isaac David Hall, and Mary Gray Hall, who died in infancy. Joe J. Hall Jr. married Maurine Buttrill daughter of Mr. & Mrs. M. V. Butrill, of Houston, Texas. The following children were born to Joe J. Hall Jr. & Maurine Buttrill Hall: Judy Hall, Pamela Hall, and James J. Hall. Isaac David Hill married Nan Gilbert of Austin, Texas. The following children were born to Isaac David Hall and Nan Gilbert Hall: Nannene Hall and David Hall.
Joe J. Hall and Ella Gray Hall lived in Hearne for a number of years after their marriage and later moved to Houston, Texas to make home.
Joe J. Hall died November 10, 1946 and was buried at Hearne, Texas in Norwood Cemetery.
HALL, VALTON, son of C. C. Hall and
Millie Hash Hall, was born August 9, 1914 at Marlow, Oklahoma.
Later he moved to Electra, Texas where he attended the public schools
and was graduated from Electra High School with the Class of 1932.
He entered Texas A. & M. College in 1934 and was graduated from this school in 1938 with a B. S. Degree. Upon completing his schooling he was employed by the Soil Conservation Service and worked at Kaufman, Texas from 1938 until 1943.
In 1943 he moved to Hearne, Texas and opened a soil conservation service office in Franklin, Texas. He remained in charge of this office until his resignation in 1948 when he taught Veteran Vocational Agriculture for three years. In addition to his work with the Soil Conservation Service and his teaching career he farmed and ranched in the Brazos Bottom from 1943 to the present time.
He married Mary Marjorie Weber, daughter of Lee Ellis Weber and Adelaide Glass Weber of Hearne. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Hall; a daughter, Margana Hall; and a son, John Valton Hall.
Valton Hall and Mary Marjorie Weber Hall are communicants of St. Philips Episcopal Church. Mrs. Hall is active in the Woman's Auxiliary of the church and Mr. Hall has served as a member of the Vestry as well as Senior Warden of St. Philips Church.
Valton Hall is supervisor of the Brazos-Robertson Soil Conservation District and serves as secretary of this organization; is Community Committeeman American Soil Conservation; a director of the Bryan Production Credit Association; a member of the Loan Committee of the Bryan P. C. A.; Chairman of the Post Committee of Explorer Boy Scouts of Hearne; and a member of the Masonic Lodge of Kaufman, Texas.
JOHN THOMAS ALLEN
was born January 27, 1888 at Thornton, Texas.
He attended the public schools of that city and was employed
early manhood by Wilson Brothers Dry Goods Company.
In 1909, he was married to Miss Ihna Belle Adams of Thornton. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton: Carmen Ercelle Hamilton Cochran and Nella June Hamilton Jamison.
In 1919 Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton moved to Hearne to make their home, Mr. Hamilton being employed by The Hudson Company, Dry Goods. This employment continued until April 1921. In 1921 Mr. Hamilton, Billy Hill, T. A. Cullum and John W. Green organized and opened a dry goods store under the firm name of Hamilton Dry Goods Company. After several years of operation of this firm, Mr. Hamilton bought the other interest in the business and continued to operate it until his death in 1943.
Mr. Hamilton was honored by his fellow citizens in being elected to serve for several terms on the Hearne City Council during which time he also served as Mayor Pro-Tem. He was a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce and served that organization as President. He was a charter member of the Hearne Rotary Club and also served this organization as President. For many years he served as a member and President of the Hearne School Board. He was a member of the Baptist Church and served on the Board of Deacons. A member of the Hearne Masonic Lodge, he was also active in practically all movements for the betterment of Hearne.
Mrs. Hamilton was very active in church work and the Eastern Star, serving for many years as a Sunday School teacher, member of the church choir, President of the Hearne Shakespeare Club, President of the Women's Missionary Society, member of the Hearne Music Club, and Worthy Matron of the Eastern Star.
John Thomas Allen Hamilton died September 4, 1943 and Ihna Bell Adams Hamilton died July 1, 1939.
HANCOCK, STILLMAN S.,
was born in Alabama, July 17,1870. With
his parents he moved to Robertson County, Texas in 1879.
He was married to Ludie Bishop and made his home in Robertson County. Ten children were born to Stillman S. Hancock and Ludie Bishop Hancock: Lee Hancock, Denson Hancock, John W. Hancock, Maggie Hancock Armstrong, Joy Hancock Clapp, Katie Hancock Taylor, Fannie Hancock Gandy, Inez Hancock Haire, Alafair Hancock Kinnard, and Nancy Hancock Reid.
Stillman S. Hancock was a farmer and cattleman during his entire lifetime. In his later years he built a home in Hearne and retired. He was a member of the Methodist Church. Stillman S. Hancock died April 26, 1958.
son of Warren Buford Harrell and Willie Mae Love Harrell, was born July
28, 1926 at Rusk, Texas.
He was educated at Nacogdoches, Texas High School, Howard Payne College at Brownwood, Texas, and Baylor University of Waco. While attending Baylor University he served as Pastor of the Beverly Hills Baptist Church in Waco. From 1952 to 1955 he was Pastor of the First Baptist Church at Mont Belvieu, Texas.
He received a call from the First Baptist Church of Hearne, Texas and moved to Hearne May 1, 1955 to accept this pastorate. During his residence in Hearne he has become one of the most outstanding ministers in this area. In 1959 he will be one of 63 Southern Baptist ministers that will go to Great Britain and France on a preaching mission. This group will also visit the Holy Land before returning to the United States.
Buford Harrell married Dorothy Lucille Rutledge of Gonzales, Texas, daughter of Elmer O. Rutledge and Irene Pearson Rutledge, September 5, 1944 at Brownwood, Texas. Two children were born to Buford Harrell and Dorothy Lucille Rutledge Harrell: Susan Lu Harrell and Sally Jo Harrell.
Buford Harrell is a member of the Masonic Lodge and the Order of the Eastern Star and Mrs. Harrell is a member of the Eastern Star. While he has been serving as Pastor of the First Baptist Church of Hearne, Buford Harrell has served the Baptist denomination in the following capacities: Vice President of the Board of Directors of Latham Spring Encampment, a member of the District 14 Baptist Executive Board, and in 1957 he toured the state of Texas speaking on behalf of the Texas Baptist Children's Home.
HANSON, ALFRED EDGAR, son of Lewis Newton Hanson and Lela Bell Bradbury Hanson, was born at San Antonio, Texas, September 16, 1924. Later his family moved to Baytown, Texas where he attended the public schools of that city and ws graduated from Robert E. Lee High School of Baytown with the Class of 1941.
After completing high school, he entered the U. S. Air Force and served from 1942 to 1945 in the Pacific area during World War II. He received his discharge from military service in 1945 with the rank of Sergeant. He attended Massey Business College. Later, he attended the Luling Foundation at Luling, Texas where he studied and completed a course in food processing.
In 1946, he moved to Houston, Texas where he served as manager of a good locker business.
He moved to Hearne, Texas in 1947 and established the Robsco Locker Plant on the corner of Market & Barton Streets and has built this firm into a sizeable and progressive business.
On August 6, 1942, Alfred Edgar Hanson married Ruby Mae Novosad, of Baytown, Texas. Ruby Mae Novosad Hanson was reared in Baytown, Texas and attended the public schools of that city. She was graduated from Robert E. Lee High School in Baytown with the Class of 1942. After completing her high school work, she attended Lee Junior College in Baytown. The following children were born to Alfred Edgar Hanson and Ruby Mae Novosad Hanson; Susie Hanson was born in Luling, Texas and Steven Hanson, Tommy Hanson, Carol Hanson, Mark Hanson, and Donna Hanson, who were born in Hearne, Texas.
Alfred Edgar Hanson and Ruby Mae Novosad Hanson are communicants of St. Mary's Catholic Church. She is a member of St. Mary's Altar Society and the Hearne Parent-Teacher's Association. Alfred Edgar Hanson is a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church Men's Club; a member of the Knights of Columbus; a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; a member of the Bryan Chamber of Commerce; a member of the Franklin Chamber of Commerce; a member a Past Commander of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post of Hearne; a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars; a member of the Hearne Parent-Teacher's Association; a member of the Hearne Catfish Club; a member of the Texas Locker Plant Association; and a member and Past President of the Hearne Lions Club.
son of Harry Edward Heartfield and Emma Wade Heartfield, was born in
Texas, October 11, 1902.
When he was a small boy, the Heartfield family moved to Belton, Texas. He attended the rural school at Tennessee Valley and also cut lumber in the Cedar brakes for 50 cents per day. He later attended the Belton Public Schools and was graduated from Belton High School.
In 1922 he was employed as store manager for the Duke & Ayres Company at Belton. Later he was also store manager for Perry Brothers stores and served in this capacity in stores at Belton, Gonzales, Bryan, Gilmer, Longview, Winnsboro, and Hillsboro.
He was married to Miss Margie Rector, daughter of Lee Ludwell Rector and Cora Moore Rector, at Belton, Texas, December 28, 1923. Mrs. Heartfield was born and reared in Bastrop, Texas and went to high school in Bastrop and Belton where she was graduated from high school. She later attended Baylor College in Belton.
Edward Harry Heartfield was first associated in the funeral directing business in Winnsboro, Texas where he was employed by the Perry Brothers Funeral Home. He later moved to Galveston, Texas and was connected with the J. Levy & Brothers Funeral Home. On June 2, 1934 he received his state embalmers license.
He and Mrs. Heartfiield moved to Hearne, June 15, 1935 and established the Heartfield Funeral Home on the corner of Second and Magnolia Streets.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Heartfield are active members of Grace Methodist Church where he serves on the Board of Stewards. He is a past member of the Hearne Rotary Club and served several years as Club secretary. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge and the Hearne Chamber of Commerce.
Mr. and Mrs. Heartfield do not have any children but they have endeared themselves to the children of this area by their many acts of friendliness and kindness.
CLARENCE "DUKE", son of Wilbur C. Hendrix
and Lillie Ann Alexander Hendrix, was born October 28, 1894 on the
Getzendeiner Ranch in Ellis County, Texas near Ennis. His father
was born at Centerville, Georgia and his mother was a native
Texan. During his early boyhood his father ran away from home in
Georgia and came to Texas. He followed the ranching business and
on many occasions made the trip by horseback on the long cattle drives
from Texas to the cattle markets in Kansas. Wilbur C. Hendrix
died in 1896. Lillie Ann Alexander Hendrix supported her family
after the death of her husband by writing poems and articles for
William Clarence Hendrix attended Texas rural schools near Campbell and Stith, Texas near Merkel in Taylor County. After his few years of grade school he worked on ranches and followed harvest work in the Midwestern and eastern states.
Putting it in his own words, William Clarence Hendrix was a "boomer." He traveled throughout the entire United States in his various occupations during his early years. He also traveled in several countries in South America, Central America, and Nova Scotia.
He served for four years in the U. S. Navy during World War I. After receiving his discharge from military service he went to work for two railroad companies in 1919. He tried out on the Boston & Albany Railroad and the New York, New Haven and Hartford as a fireman. Both of these railroads were burning coal on their engines and after a short trial, he "pulled the pin" on both railroads. During the latter part of 1919 he moved to Dallas, Texas and went to work for the Dallas Fire Department working under Chief Myers and Chief McGee. His next railroad job was with the Texas & Pacific Railroad as Train Auditor at Dallas.
During the Hog Creek oil boom in the vicinity of Gorman and DeLeon, Texas in partnership with a "boomer" brakeman he owned and operated the White Owl Cafe, a swanky place which included a full orchestra that furnished dinner music. He sold his one-half interest in this business and went to work as a student fireman for the Texas Central Railroad, running out of DeLeon. Later he returned to Dallas and went into U. S. Postal Service under Bruce Luna, Dallas postmaster.
In 1920 he went to work for the Southern Pacific Railroad Company as a locomotive fireman. He was promoted to engineer in 1928.
For three months during 1929, by special arrangements with the general manager of the S. P. Railroad, William Clarence Hendrix was attached to the Personnel & Public Relations Department and traveled in Texas and the midwest making talks in the interest of securing support for legislation for the regulation of trucks and busses.
He moved to Hearne, Texas to make his home in March 1943 and continued his employment as a locomotive engineer. He served as Democratic Precinct Chairman of Precinct No. 2, Robertson County, Texas from 1944 through 1948; is a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen gc Enginemen; served as President of the Magnolia Lodge B. of L. F. E. for 14 years; is a member of the Masonic Lodge of Ennis; a charter member of the Chisam-Landers American Legion Post of Ennis; and a member of the Baptist Church.
William Clarence Hendrix married Bertha Gladys Rogers, daughter of William P. Rogers and Elizabeth Jandrau Rogers, December 2, 1920 at Ennis, Texas. Bertha Gladys Rogers Hendrix was born at Hog Island in Falls County, Texas near Marlin. Her father was a native of Alabama and her mother was born and reared in New Orleans, Louisiana. A son, William C. Hendrix Jr., was born to William Clarence Hendrix and Bertha Gladys Rogers Hendrix. William C. Hendrix Jr. attended the public schools of Ennis, Texas and was graduated from Ennis High School with the Class of 1940. After completing his high school work he enrolled in the University of Texas for his pre-medical work and received his medical degree from the Texas Medical School at Galveston, Texas in 1946. His internship was at St. Paul's Hospital in Dallas, Texas. He enlisted in the U. S. Air Force in 1948 and served for two years in the medical corps. In 1950 he served as surgeon for six months with the Grace Steamship Lines. Later he took post-graduate work at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri and upon the completion of this work was accepted for a residency in Ear, Nose & Throat practice at Barnes General Hospital at St. Louis. This included a rotation of Veteran Hospital, City-County Hospital and McMillian (the Ear, Nose & Throat division of the Barnes General Hospital).
Young Doctor Hendrix returned to Texas for one year of associate practice at Fort Worth and later established his own office in this city. He is also on the staff of St. Joseph's Hospital in Fort Worth. He is Secretary-Treasurer of the Ear, Nose & Throat Society of Tarrant County; a member of the Masonic Lodge of Dallas; a member of the Scottish Rite of Dallas; and a member of the Methodist Church in Fort Worth. Dr. William Clarence Hendrix Jr. married Virginia Lee Boothe who was born at Paragould, Arkansas. She was a resident of St. Louis, Missouri at the time of the marriage. She served as a surgical nurse in the Ear, Nose & Throat division of the Barnes General Hospital at St. Louis. A son, Gerald Lee Hendrix, was born October 26, 1957 to Dr. and Mrs. William Clarence Hendrix Jr.
William Clarence "Duke" Hendrix, a colorful railroad figure and a "boomer" who finally settled down, plans to retire from active duty as a locomotive engineer October 28, 1959 after completing 39 years, nine months and twenty-three days in railroad service. He says that two things that he remembers well that occurred during his long years of service in railroading was shooting dice with old "Big Fiddle" Shepler and the times that he ran for Tax Collector of Ellis County, Texas and campaigned wearing his railroad overalls. He said he would put in his days work with the railroad and leave his engine in the yards and hit the streets and roads while still in his working clothes and begin his campaign work. Another thing that he well remembers and is proud of is that even though he did not get the opportunity to attend school very much during his younger days, that by attending summer sessions and night school at Bryan Tech High School in Dallas he acquired the equivalent of a high school education after he reached the age of 33 years.
William Clarence "Duke" Hendrix has had as colorful a railroad career as any man who ever rode the rails, and in 1959, on the day of his retirement when he brings his engine to the roundhouse and steps down from his cab for the last time, the career will end for a man who has seen and been a part of railroading from the days of the old wood burners to the modern diesels.
HENNESSY, MARTIN, son of James Hennessy and
Bridget Reidy Hennessy, was born February 14, 1885 at Lissycasey,
County Clare, Ireland. He attended the school in his home town
when he was a boy and worked on the family farm.
He came to the United States and landed in New York, July 5, 1910. For ten months he worked in a paper mill in Pennyan, New York. In 1911 he moved to Chicago and spent the next four years as. a life insurance salesman.
During 1918 he heard about the famous Cotton Palace Show in Waco, Texas and he got the urge to see this show. He decided to come to Texas but he only got as far as Denison and accepted a job with the Missouri-Kansas & Texas Railroad and never did get to see the Cotton Palace Show.
In 1923 he moved to Lima, Ohio and worked for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad until 1926 when he came back to Texas and went to work for the Southern Pacific Railroad, July 17, 1926 at Ennis, Texas. On August 16, 1926 he moved to Hearne, Texas and worked as a car repairman in the Hearne shops of the Southern Pacific Railroad. He retired January 1, 1954 after 36 years of railroad service.
He is a member of the Brotherhood of Railway Carmen of America Lodge No. 437, is a member of the Roman Catholic Church, and a naturalized American citizen. He made visits to Ireland in 1950 and 1954.
Martin Hennessy is typical of the many Irishmen who came to America to work on the railroads of this nation. He has many friends and is known for his friendly Irish wit. Martin Hennessy is a bachelor.
CLAUDE PENDLETON SR.,
son of James Sidney Henry and Annie Clara LeFevre Henry, was born in
Texas, November 13, 1892.
He attended school in the Alexander community in Brazos County and later attended Tyler Commercial College in Tyler, Texas.
In 1916 he moved to Hearne where he was employed as a bookkeeper with the J. E. Mooney Grocery Store. He continued this employment until 1918 when he enlisted in the U. S. Army and served until the later part of 1919 during World War I. Most of his military service was overseas duty in France and Germany.
After his discharge from military service he returned to Hearne and late enrolled in Tyler Commercial College. In 1920 he was employed as bookkeeper for the J. W. Sanders Automobile Agency. During 1922 he formed a partnership with his brothers Roy Henry and J. Warren Henry and entered the confectionery business on Fourth Street in Hearne. When this partnership was dissolved in 1924 he was employed in the ticket office of the Southern Pacific Railroad Company at Hearne and continued this employment until 1932 when he accepted the position of sales manager for the Coca Cola Bottling Company of Hearne and Cameron. In 1941 he became the manager and a stockholder in the Hearne Lumber Company. He retired from the lumber business in 1956 and established a real estate business in Hearne.
He was married to Miss Lelia Craig, daughter of Samuel C. Craig and Annie Perry Craig, November 11, 1923. Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Henry: Claude Pendleton Henry Jr., Robert Sidney Henry, William Samuel Henry, Sally Ruth Henry Johns, and Lelia Henry Smith. Mr. and Mrs. Henry and their children are all members of the Methodist Church where Mr. Henry has served on the Board of Stewards.
Claude P. Henry served for three terms on the Hearne City Council and was also Mayor Pro-Tem during his years of service as a councilman. He is a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; the American Legion; and the Hearne Masonic Lodge.
HENRY, JAMES SIDNEY,
born near Tabor in Brazos County, Texas, September 22, 1855. His parents, Hugh R. Henry and Margaret Foley
of that community, reared a large family at their Brazos County home,
the number going out from the parental roof as respected and honored
On December 24, 1879, James Sidney Henry and Miss Anna Clara Lefevre were united in marriage at Tabor, and in that community established their home.
Mr. Henry engaged in farming in the Tabor section until December 18, 1918 when with his family he moved to Hearne to reside. He was agent for various state newspapers during much of his active business years in Hearne.
The following children of Mr. and Mrs. Henry also made their homes in Hearne; James Warren Henry, Claude P. Henry, Roy Henry, Katie Henry Dorrell, and a foster son, Herman Henry.
Mr. Henry died April 7, 1933 and Mrs. Henry passed away November 27, 1944. Both Mr. and Mrs. Henry were active members of the Methodist Church.
son of James Sidney Henry and Annie Clara LeFevere Henry, was born at
Brazos County, Texas, September 5, 1899.
At the age of 14, he moved with his family to Wheelock in Robertson County where he attended the community school in that farming area. Prior to moving to Wheelock, he attended the public school in the Alexander community in Brazos County.
In 1918 he moved to Hearne and was employed by the Railway Express Agency and worked for this firm until 1919 when he went to work in pipe line construction work for the Humble Pipe Line Company. In 1920 he moved to Waco where he was employed for ten years with the Southern Pacific Railroad Company.
On November 16, 1925, he was married to Miss Lula Geneva Larkin, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Augustus M. Larkin of Hearne. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Henry during their residence in Waco: a son Roy Larkin Henry and a daughter, Carol Henry Stodsgill. The Henrys have two grandsons, Brett Mallory Henry and Bruce Henry, sons of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Larkin Henry.
In 1930 Mr. and Mrs. Henry moved back to Hearne and Mr. Henry operated a Gulf Service Station on Market Street. On August 5, 1937 he was appointed Agent for the Gulf Oil Corporation in Hearne.
He has been active in the civic and business life of Hearne, having held the following offices; President of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce where he was a member of the Industrial and Highway Committees; President of the Hearne Rotary Club; member of the Hearne Housing Authority; Director of the First State Bank; Chairman of the ' Robertson County Red Cross Chapter; Secretary-Treasurer of the Texas Alfalfa Dehydrators Association; Secretary-Treasurer of the Hearne Alfalfa Milling Company; Chairman of the Hearne Alfalfa Fiesta; Chairman of the Petroleum Marketers of Texas; Chairman of the Robertson County Parole Board; and a member of the Board of Stewards of Grace Methodist Church since 1938.
In 1942 he was very instrumental and worked hard to secure the construction of the Hearne Prisoner of War Camp.
HENRY, ROY LARKIN, son of Roy Henry and Lula
Geneva Larkin Henry, was born January 6, 1928 at Waco, Texas.
With his family he moved to Hearne, Texas in 1930. He attended the Hearne public schools and was graduated from Hearne High School with the Class of 1945. During his high school days he played football and earned his letters as a center on the Hearne High School Eagles football team.
Upon completion of high school he entered Texas Christian University at Fort Worth, Texas and received his B. A. Degree from this school in 1949. While attending Texas Christian University he was a member of Phil Delta Theta Fraternity.
April 7, 1951 he entered the United States Air Force and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant October 25, 1952. He served twelve months in Korea during the Korean War and flew 39 combat missions as a pilot. He was awarded the Air Medal. After returning to the United States he served two years in the Strategic Air Command. He received his discharge from military duty October 25, 1955. On November 1, 1955 he became associated with the Roy Henry Pontiac Company, Ltd. in Hearne, Texas, and is active in this business.
Roy Larkin Henry married Norma Ann Houg, daughter of Goodwin 0. Houg and Esther Louise Moen Houg of Fergus Falls, Minnesota, April 9, 1955. Norma Ann Houg Henry attended the public schools of Fergus Falls, Minnesota and was graduated from Fergus Falls High School with the Class of 1948. After completing high school she attended Morehead State Teachers College and later taught school. Two children were born to Roy Larkin Henry and Norma Ann Houg Henry: Brett M. Henry and Bruce Goodwin Henry.
Roy Larkin Henry and Norma Ann Houg Henry are members of Grace Methodist Church of Hearne. She is a member of the Woman's Society of Christian Service and the Green Thumb Garden Club. Roy Larkin Henry is a member of the Board of Stewards of Grace Methodist Church; a member and Past Director and President of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; a member of the Hearne Rotary Club; and a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post.
was born in Anderson, Grimes County, Texas, November 5, 1857, a
daughter of John
F. Schafer and Anna Albrecht Schafer, who reared a family of nine
In 1874, Mr. and Mrs. Schafer came with their family to Hearne, establishing a home on the corner of Magnolia and Third Streets where the present post office building now stands. Later the family built a home on the corner of Cedar and Davis Streets on the site where the W. H. Ely home now stands.
In 1895 she married William D. "Uncle Billy" Henson at the Cedar Street residence, and with her husband who had plantation interests, she went to the Brazos Bottom to live. Some years after this, Mr. and Mrs. Henson resided for a time at their country home several miles south of Hearne near the Sutton community. They disposed of this place when they moved back to Hearne in 1928.
Having seen Hearne grow from a newly populated railroad village to a thriving and progressive town, Mrs. Henson was very interested in civic affairs throughout her life. She served as President of the Woman's Auxiliary of St. Philips Episcopal Church, was Secretary-Treasurer of Norwood Cemetery Association for 35 years, and during World War I was very active in Red Cross work.
After the death of her husband in 1939 she lived quietly at her home located at 610 Davis Street where those around her knew her as a good neighbor and a sincere friend. She was known in this community as "Miss Mattie" and was typical of the pioneer women of early Hearne. She had been a communicant of St. Philips Episcopal Church for over fifty years, and died August 29, 1943.
GEORGE WASHINGTON JR.,
was born in Rising Star, Texas, May 17, 1877, the son of George
Washington Hines Sr. and
Frances Cauble Hines.
During his boyhood, with his family he moved to McLennan County where he attended the Snake Creek Rural School.
In 1906 he was employed by the Texas & Pacific Railroad Company as a locomotive fireman at Bonham, Texas. In 1909 he moved to Hearne where he was employed by the H. & T. C. Railroad Company as a fireman and in the bridge gang. He continued this employment until December 25, 1913. From 1915 until 1930 he was a "boomer" fireman and was employed by the following railroad companies: Trinity & Brazos Valley, Frisco, Union Pacific, Missouri, Kansas & Texas, and the Rock Island. Also during these years he served in the Waco Fire Department, Waco Police Department, and as a special officer at Mexia during the oil boom days in the 1920's. During World War I, he served as Wagonmaster at Camp McArthur in Waco.
In 1931 he entered the service station business and in 1934 be built his own service station on North Market Street.
He was married January 28, 1934 to Ila Pippin Spear. During this same year he purchased his home place on the Franklin highway north of Hearne.
From 1942 to 1947 he was employed at the Hearne Prisoner of War Camp during World War II. In 1948 he entered the plumbing business in Hearne and continued this business until 1951 when he became employed as an automobile salesman.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Hines are members of the Baptist Church and Mr. Hines is a former member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen, holding membership in this organization from 1906 through 1932.
HOEFER, FAY ELMER SR., son of Louis James
Hoefer and Dollie Rue Burbridge Hoefer, was born August 11, 1894 at
Poplar Bluff, Missouri. Later he moved to Doniphan, Missouri
where he attended public school.
In December 1913, he began his railroad career as a porter with the St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern Railroad at Doniphan, Missouri. He also served as station agent for this railroad. On July 16, 1916, he was employed by the H. & T. C. Railroad Company. He entered the U. S. Navy in July 1917 and served as a wireless operator during World War I. He served overseas from December 1917 to June 1919. After receiving his discharge from military service, he went to Ennis, Texas to resume his duties with the H. & T. C. Railroad as a telegraph operator.
In October 1919, he moved to Hearne, Texas and served as a telegraph operator for the H. & T. C. Railroad for two years. In October 1922, he moved to Ennis, Texas and served as a telegraph operator and later dispatcher for the H. & T. C. Railroad.
In September 1931, he moved back to Hearne, Texas and served as Chief Dispatcher and Yardmaster until April 1936 when he moved to Austin, Texas and served as Trainmaster. In March 1947, he returned to Ennis, Texas, where he served as Assistant Superintendent and was later promoted to Superintendent of the Dallas and Austin Divisions of the Southern Pacific Railroad.
Fay Elmer Hoefer married Lillian Itasca Larkin, daughter of Augustus M. Larkin and Lula McGraw Larkin of Hearne, Texas, September 5, 1924. The marriage was performed at Hearne, Texas. Lillian Itasca Larkin Hoefer was born and reared at Hearne, Texas and attended the Hearne public schools.
A son, Fay Elmer Hoefer Jr., was born to Fay Elmer Hoefer and Lillian Itasca Larkin Hoefer, March 19, 1929. Fay Elmer Hoefer Jr. was married to Cathryn Rogala of Ennis, Texas.
Fay Elmer Hoefer is a member of the Association of Railroad Superintendents; a member of the Austin Club of Austin, Texas; the East Texas Chamber of Commerce; the Dallas Chamber of Commerce; the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce; has served as a vice president of the Ennis Chamber of Commerce; a member of the American Legion; a member of the Lakeside Country Club of Ennis, Texas; a member of the Elks Club; a member of the Masonic Bodies; a member of the I. O. O. F; a member of the Ennis Community Center; a member of the Sheriffs' Association of Texas; a member of the Order of Railway Telegraphs; and a member of the Morse Telegraph Club.
Fay Elmer Hoefer has been in continuous railroad service since 1913.
HOFFMAN, HARVEY CARL, son of Alfred L. Hoffman
and Annie Kuehne Hoffman, was born February 20, 1926 in Waco,
Texas. He attended the Waco public schools and was graduated from
Waco High School with the Class of 1944.
After finishing high school he entered the U. S. Navy, July 12, 1944 and served during World War II. He received his military discharge June 11, 1946. He entered Baylor University in September 1946 and attended this school for two years. Later he worked for the Clifton Manufacturing Company in Waco and the Andrew Brown Paint Company at Irving, Texas. He entered the Four C Business College in Waco in August 1948 and graduated from this school in February 1949. In February 1949 he accepted temporary employment with the Bureau of the Census in Waco and later worked for the William Cameron Company, the Retail Credit Association, and the Interstate Securities Company of Waco.
In March 1953 he moved to Hearne, Texas to accept employment as office manager of the Paley Reed Motors.
Harvey Carl Hoffman married Eleanor Mount, daughter of Milton M. Mount and Ruth Bruyere Mount of Waco, Texas, March 6, 1947. Eleanor Mount Hoffman attended the Waco public schools and was graduated from Waco High School with the Class of 1944. She attended Baylor University and was graduated with a Bachelor of Music Degree. Two children were born to Harvey Carl Hoffman and Eleanor Mount Hoffman: a daughter, Margaret Lou Hoffman; and a son, Paul James Hoffman.
Eleanor Mount Hoffman taught school for four years in the Waco public schools and one year in the Hearne public schools. Later she taught kindergarten school in Hearne for one year. She is a member of Grace Methodist Church where she is also a member of the Thelma Cunningham Church Circle, and a member of the Green Thumb Garden Club.
Harvey Carl Hoffman is a member of Grace Methodist Church where he serves on the Board of Stewards; is a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post of Hearne; serves as Superintendent of the Sunday School of Grace Methodist Church; is a member of the Hearne Lions Club; and a member and past President of the Hearne Volunteer Fire Department.
HOLT, WILLIAM MACK JR., son of William Mack Holt
and Ella B. Clark Holt, was born August 24, 1922 at Fort Worth,
Texas. He attended the public schools of May, Texas and Fort
Worth, graduating from North Side High School in Fort Worth with the
Class of 1940. After finishing high school he attended Daniel
Baker College in Brownwood, Texas.
In 1942 he enlisted in the U. S. Air Force and served in the Pacific area until 1946 during World War II. He was discharged from military service with the rank of Sergeant. During 1941, prior to his enlistment in the U. S. Air Force, he served as trainee with the J. C. Penny store at Brownwood, Texas, and later was an assistant manager of the J. C. Penny Store at Hillsboro, Texas.
From 1946 to 1951 he served as assistant manager of the J. C. Penny Store in Waxahachie, Texas and in 1951-52 he was assistant manager for the K. Wolens Department Store in Hillsboro, Texas. In 1953 he was made manager of the K. Wolens Department Store in Velasco, Texas and served in this position until February 1954 when he moved to Hearne, Texas as manager of the new K. Wolens Department Store.
William Mack Holt Jr. was married to Emma Gene Hornsby of Hillsboro, Texas, daughter of Luther Thomas Hornsby and Georgia Rhoden Hornsby, January 1, 1942. Emma Gene Hornsby Holt attended the public schools of Whitney and Hillsboro, Texas. Two children were born to William Mack Holt Jr. and Emma Gene Hornsby Holt: a son, William Thomas Holt; and a daughter, Katherine Louise Holt.
Mr. and Mrs. Holt are members of the Christian Church. Mrs. Holt is an active member of the Hearne Parent-Teachers Association where she served as Chairman of the Publications Committee. William Mack Holt Jr. is a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce where he has served as a director; organized, chartered, and was the first President of the Velasco, Texas junior Chamber of Commerce; and served as a Director of the Brazosport, Texas Chamber of Commerce.
J. W. "WILL"
was born at Navasota, Texas, September 9, 1877, the son of William F.
and Alice McGlamery Horlock.
He spent his early youth attending the public schools of Navasota and was employed during his young manhood in the management duties of operating his uncle's large farm interests in the Navasota area. His uncle was R. A. Horlock.
In the spring of 1898, he mustered in the Fourth Texas Volunteers Company B for service in the Spanish-American War and completed his military service and was discharged in San Antonio, Texas in the summer of 1899.
On March 2, 1905, he was married to Miss Annie Bookman who passed away March 26, 1944.
Mr. and Mrs. Horlock moved to Hearne to make their home in 1906. At this time Mr. Horlock represented the Samuels & Co. cotton firm of Houston as a cotton buyer. After two years of service with this firm, he resigned his position and opened his own cotton buying business. In 1925 he bought the Scott Grain Company from A. W Scott and combined this business with his cotton buying operations. From 1936 through 1938 he set a record in insecticide sales in this area, selling over three million pounds of insecticides to the farmers of the Hearne area.
In 1945 he retired from active business and took more time for his two hobbies, hunting and fishing.
On February 15, 1948 he was married to Mrs. Inez Shelman. He has served for over ten years as Senior Warden of St. Philips Episcopal Church, President of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce 1919-20 (being instrumental in getting State Highway No. 79 designated in order that the bridge over the Brazos River at Valley junction could be constructed), served ten years on the Hearne City Council and also served as Mayor Pro-Tem, Chairman of the Office of Price Administration during World War II, a stockholder and a director of the First National Bank of Hearne for many years, and served on the Board of Directors of the Hearne Building & Loan Association.
HOWARD, WILLIAM KIRKLAND SR., also known as "Cooter"
Howard, son of William Robert Howard and Sedalia Kennerley Howard, was
born January 23, 1908 at Franklin, Texas.
He attended the Franklin public schools. At the age of 14 years, he worked for the Western Union Telegraph Company at Palestine, Texas. Later he became a taxi driver and bus operator in Palestine.
He moved to Hearne, Texas, August 1, 1926 and went to work for the Humble Pipe Line Company in line construction work August 3, 1926. Later he transferred to the Humble Pump Station where he became a stationary engine oiler and later was promoted to stationary engineer.
William Kirkland Howard married Lura Udell Lunsford,, daughter of John Robert Lunsford and Nancy Elizabeth Tress Lunsford, January 1, 1926. Lura Udell Lunsford Howard lived at Palestine, Texas at the time of her marriage, but the marriage took place at Rusk, Texas. Lura Udell Lunsford Howard was born December 7, 1907 at Palestine, Texas, and attended the Palestine public schools.
The following children were born to William Kirkland Howard and Lura Udell Lunsford Howard: Delma Lee Howard Nichols; Thomas Carrol Howard; Elizabeth Sedalia Howard Walker; William Kirkland Howard Jr.; and Charles David Howard. Grandchildren of Mr. and Mrs. Howard are: Joe Thomas Nichols; Donna Kay Nichols; Robert Shaun Nichols; Ronnie Howard; Cecylia Ann Howard; Cynthia Kay Howard; Carolyn Marie Howard; and Karon Ann Walker.
Delma Lee Howard married James E. Nichols; Thomas Carroll Howard married Ceyce Howard; and Elizabeth Sedalia Howard married Carl Walker.
William Kirkland Howard has been a member of the Hearne Volunteer Fire Department since 1936 and has served as Fire Marshal for the City of Hearne since 1952.
WILLIAM, son of Wait Stephen Hoyt and Lissie McWilliams Hoyt,
was born at Hearne, Texas, June 20, 1910. He attended the public
schools of Hearne and was graduated from Hearn High School with the
Class of 1929. While attending Hearne High School, he was an
outstanding football player at the center position with the Hearne High
School Eagles. During the latter part of 1929, he worked as a
bookkeeper for the D. R. Atkisson & Company cotton buyers and in
the summer of 1930 he operated a confectionery. In 1931, he
attended Blinn Memorial College at Brenham, Texas. He continued
his work with the D. R. Adkisson & Company during the summer months
until 1933. During 1933, he was employed by the Farrar Lumber
Company of Hearne. In 1934, he accepted full time employment with
the Post Office Pharmacy, a Hearne drug store owned and operated by his
brother, W. S. Hoyt Jr. From 1936 to 1939, he was employed as a
bookkeeper for Farrar Lumber Company. During 1939, he went to
work for the U.S. Post Office Department at Hearne, Texas as a letter
carrier. In 1950, he was transferred to the position of Finance
Clerk U.S. Post Office Department at Hearne, Texas. He 1958, he
is the senior clerk in the Hearne post office.
He entered the U.S. Navy May 4, 1944 and served during World War II in the Pacific area until his discharge December 6, 1946.
Mack William Hoyt married May Beth Hughes, daughter of Luther Taylor Hughes and Alice Isaacs Hughes of Milano, Texas, August 20, 1933. The marriage was performed at Hearne, Texas. May Beth Hughes Hoyt attended Rockdale High School in Milam County, Texas, and also attended Central High School in Fort Worth, Texas. Her parents, Luther Taylor Hughes and Alice Isaacs Hughes, were pioneer citizens of Milam County and later moved to Hearne, Texas to make their home.
Two children were born to Mack William Hoyt and May Beth Hughes Hoyt: a daughter, Mary Elizabeth Hoyt, who married Donald Henry Copeland; and a son, Jerry Mack Hoyt.
Mary Beth Hughes Hoyt operated the Hearne Flower Shop on Market Street in Hearne from 1945 through 1947. She worked for the Local Draft board in 1948 and 1949. From 1950 through 1954, she operated Hoyt's Flower Shop on Market Street in Hearne. In September 1957, she accepted a position as bookkeeper for the First State Bank of Hearne. She is a member and Past President of the Hearne Study Club; a member and Past Worthy Matron of the Hearne Chapter No. 722 Order of the Eastern Star; a member of the Hearne Garden Club; a member of the American Legion Auxiliary; a member of the First Baptist Church of Hearne where she has taught many years in the Sunday School and served as superintendent of the adult department; served as Young People's Director at the First Baptist Church;' and a member of the Women's Missionary Union.
Mack William Hoyt is a member of the Gold Rule Masonic Lodge No. 361 of Hearne where he has served as Worshipful Master; served as District Deputy Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Texas District No. 24 in 1950; has served as Secretary of the Gold Rule Masonic Lodge since 1954; a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post of Hearne; a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars; served as Cubmaster for Pack No. 42 Boy Scouts of America from 1950 through 1956; is Past Patron of Hearne Chapter No. 722 Order of the Eastern Star; and is a former member and past president of the Hearne Volunteer Fire Department.
ODIS ARCHER SR.,
son of Wait Stephen Hoyt Jr. and Frances Archer Hoyt, was born June 15,
Houston, Texas and moved to Hearne with his parents in 1931.
He attended the Hearne public schools and was graduated from Hearne High School in 1940. After attending Southwestern University at Georgetown, Texas for one year he transferred to the University of Texas at Austin where he received his degree in Pharmacy in 1944.
Upon graduating from the University of Texas he served two years in the U. S. Navy during World War II in the Pacific area.
In 1946, after completing his military service, he returned to Hearne to enter the pharmacy business.
He was married to Miss Thelma McCormick of Franklin, Texas, March 7, 1943 and he and Mrs. Hoyt have three children: Odis Archer Hoyt Jr., and two daughters, Diane Hoyt and Donna Hoyt.
He is a member of the First Baptist Church; a member of the Hearne Rotary Club; member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce where he serves as a director; member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post; and a member of the Hearne Masonic Lodge.
In addition to his business connection in the drug business he carries on an active interest in farm and ranch property with his father.
WAIT STEPHEN JR.,
son of Wait Stephen Hoyt Sr. and Melissa Love McWilliams Hoyt, was born
at Hearne, Texas,
November 9, 1897.
He attended the Hearne Public Schools and as a young boy found employment operating a peanut parcher in the shoe shop owned by John Cuchia. He later served as a clerk in Hazlett's Drug Store, clerk for the H. & T. C. Railroad Company, clerk for the 1. & G. N. Railroad Company, and was employed by a local oil mill.
In 1916 he moved to San Antonio where he was employed for three years with the Burns Drug Store. In 1919 he moved to Houston and was employed with the Southern Drug Company. During his years in Houston, he did extra work in several retail drug stores along with his regular employment with the wholesale drug firm.
In May 1931 he moved back to Hearne and opened a retail drug store for himself, this firm being the Post Office Pharmacy.
He was married to Miss Frances Irene Archer of Easterly, Texas, June 23, 1920 and a son, Odis Archer Hoyt, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Hoyt, June 15, 1922.
In 1949 Mr. Hoyt was honored by the citizens of Hearne in being elected to the office of Mayor. During his administration, many public projects and improvements were accomplished.
Mr. Hoyt is a member of the Hearne Lions Club and served as a director of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce for over 20 years. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge and took his Scottish Rite degrees in 1945 at Austin. Holding membership in the Scottish Rite bodies of Austin, he is also a member of the Ben Hur Shrine Temple of Austin and has served on the 13th Degree Team for several years.
He assisted in the organizing of the First State Bank of Hearne in 1957 and is a member of the Board of Directors and Vice President of this bank.
WAIT STEPHEN SR.
was born in Mississippi, January 31, 1873.
He came to Hearne to make his home when he was in his early
was a resident of Hearne for over 60 years.
In 1892 he was married to Miss Melissia McWilliams, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. R. McWilliams of Shelby County, Texas. Mr. McWilliams was a farmer and a preacher.
Mr. and Mrs. Hoyt reared their six children in Hearne while Mr. Hoyt was employed with railroad work. He worked for the old Hearne & Brazos Valley Railroad Company and also worked for the the H. & T. C. Railroad Company for a short time. However, the majority of his working life was spent with the I & G. N. Railroad, he being retired from this company September 12, 1940 after more than 22 years of service.
He was active as a carpenter and built many homes in Hearne. Mr. Hoyt was a long-time member of the Black Jack Baptist Church.
The six children of Mr. and Mrs. Hoyt are: Wait S. Hoyt Jr., a former Mayor of Hearne; Mack W. Hoyt, John Fletcher Hoyt, Willeene Hoyt Willis, Vivian Hoyt Gumm, and Ruth Hoyt Pringle.
Wait Stephen Hoyt died February 7, 1955 and Mrs. Hoyt died December 22, 1949.
HUDSON, CLYDE LEE, son of John Henry Hudson and Cora Lee Brown Hudson, was
born May 29, 1902 at Lancaster, Texas. He attended the public
schools at Lancaster and was graduated from Lancaster High School with
the Class of 1923. After finishing high school he attended Texas
A. & M. College.
In 1925 he was employed as Testing Engineer for the Southwestern Laboratories of Fort Worth, Texas and continued this employment until 1932. In 1932 he moved to Austin, Texas where he served as Laboratory Technician for the State Highway Department. In 1934 he became resident engineer for the State Highway Department at Dallas, Texas. From 1935 to 1940 he was Asphalt Technician for the State Highway Department in Austin. He moved to Brownwood, Texas in 1940 and served as Asphalt Engineer at Camp Bowie during 1940-41.
In 1941 he moved to Hearne, Texas to assume the managership of the Gifford-Hill & Company Asphalt Plant. In 1945 he became General Manager of the Gifford-Hill & Company plant at Hearne.
On November 18, 1925 he was married to Ola Gertrude Pannell, daughter of Franklin Pierce Pannell and Lillie Mae Warren Pannell of Lancaster, Texas. Two children were born to Clyde Lee Hudson and Ola Gertrude Pannell Hudson; a son, Patton C. Hudson; and a daughter, Dorothy Jane Hudson. Patton C. Hudson married Lucille Conyers Prichard of Houston, Texas. Two children were born to Patton C. Hudson and Lucille Conyers Prichard Hudson: Deborah Pannell Hudson and Patton C. Hudson Jr.
Ola Gertrude Pannell Hudson is active in civic and cultural organizations of Hearne. She is a charter member of the Hearne Garden Club and has served as secretary of this organization; a member of the Hearne Shakespeare Club and has served as President, Recording Secretary and Corresponding Secretary; a member and Past President of the Hearne Band Parents Association; a member and past Corresponding Secretary of the Hearne Music Club; a member and Past President and Treasurer of the Woman's Missionary Society of Grace Methodist Church; served as Den Mother for Cub Scouts and served as Scout Leader for Girl Scouts; Counselor of M. Y. F. for 4 years; a member of the choir of Grace Methodist Church; and served as Counselor for junior Music Lovers Club for 2 years.
Clyde Lee Hudson is a member of Grace Methodist Church where he served as Chairman of the Board of Stewards for 6 years; served as District Lay Reader for 2 years; Chairman of the Church Finance Committee for 2 years; a member and former Director of the Hearne Rotary Club; a member and former Director of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; a former member of the Hearne City Council; a former member of the Hearne Lions Club; and devoted 15 years of service to Boy Scout work in local and district offices.
HUEY, LLOYD ALEXANDER, son of William Robert Huey and Emma Lou Diamond Huey, was
born January 16, 1907 at Pittsburg, Texas. He attended public
school at Pittsburg and was graduated from Pittsburg High School with
the Class of 1926.
After completing high school he attended Texas A. & M. College. He served as sales manager for the Wes Cooksey Motor Company and the Gordon Motor Company in Beaumont, Texas. He also worked in the oil fields of Texas during his early manhood.
In 1946 he moved to Hearne, Texas where he established the Huey Motor Company on Market Street. Later he served as sales manager for the Clark Chevrolet Company in Hearne. He established a Ford dealership in Calvert, Texas.
He enlisted in the U. S. Navy Seabees in December 1942 and served as Chief Machinist Mate in the Pacific area during World War I1, receiving his discharge from military service in September 1945.
He was married to Jimmie Lee Johnson, daughter of Robert Madison Johnson and Mary Wyler Carter Johnson, May 31, 1942 at Beaumont, Texas. Lloyd Alexander Huey was a member of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge of Hearne, a 32nd Degree Mason, a member of the Ben Hur Shrine Temple of Austin, a member of the Robertson County A. & M. Club, and a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce. Jimmie Lee Johnson Huey is a former member of the Hearne Garden Club and a past president of that organization, later being an honorary member of this club.
Lloyd Alexander Huey died January 1, 1957.
DR. LOUIS BOND,
son of Emery H. Hughes and Katherine Brady Hughes, was born in Austin,
August 21, 1927.
He attended St. Mary's Parochial School and Newman School in Austin. He also attended Allen High School in Austin and Hearne High School, graduating and receiving his high school diploma from St. Edward's Military Academy in Austin with the Class of 1943. During the years of 1941-42-43 he lived in Hearne with his parents at their ranch home on Pinoak.
After completing his high school education, he entered the University of Texas and later enrolled at Tulane Medical School in New Orleans where he received his medical degree. During his college and medical school days he was a member of Delta Kappa Epislon at the University of Texas and Nu Sigma Nu, medical fraternity, at Tulane. His internship was at Charity Hospital in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1949-50. He entered the U. S. Navy in 1950 serving twenty-one months with a Marine Air Group as Navy Flight Surgeon until 1953.
After being discharged from the U. S. Navy in 1953, he came to Hearne to be associated with the Searcy-Fleming Hospital in the practice of medicine and surgery.
He was married in New Orleans to Miss Edwina Mary Prados, daughter of Wilfred Olivier Prados and Edwina Victoria Mary Prados, June 2, 1949. Mrs. Hughes was reared in New Orleans and attended St. Joseph's Parochial School and Sacred Heart Academy. She attended Loyola University in New Orleans and was graduated with a B. S. Degree in Medical Technology. At Loyola, Mrs. Hughes was a member of Theta Beta and B. E. V., Biology and Medical Technician Societies. Dr. and Mrs. Hughes have a son, Christopher Louis Hughes and a daughter, Ann Hughes.
Dr. and Mrs. Hughes are communicants of St. Mary's Catholic Church where he is an active member of St. Mary's Men's Club and Mrs. Hughes is active in the St. Mary's Altar Society.
Dr. Hughes is a member of the Hearne Lions Club, the Brazos-Robertson County Medical Society, a member and Director of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce, a member of the Hearne Volunteer Fire Department where he serves as department doctor and President, the Hearne Golfer's Association, and the Calvert Country Club.
Page Modified: 25 January 2012
Copyright © April 2011-present by Jane Keppler. This information may be used by individuals for their own personal use, libraries and genealogical societies. Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission from Jane Keppler. If material is copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information and please email me and let me know. Neither the Site Coordinators nor the volunteers assume any responsibility for the information or material given by the contributors or for errors of fact or judgment in material that is published at this website.