Welcome!County Coordinator is Jane Keppler.
County Co-Coordinator is Jean Huot Smoorenburg
If you have any questions or would like to submit information for Robertson County, please email one of the above.
|site search by freefind|
TXGenWeb Robertson County Books & Master's Theses
H E A R N E O N T H E B R A Z O S
Used with permission of Norman Lowell McCarver, Jr. These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format by other organizations or individuals. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material must obtain the written consent of McCarver family relatives.
Biographical Sketches - L
WASHINGTON, son of
George Washington LaGrone and Alice Eugenia Moseley LaGrone, was born
November 7, 1882 in the Cyclone community in Bell County, Texas.
His father and mother were born in Alabama and came to Bell County,
Texas in 1869. During his early days, Arthur Washington LaGrone
attended the rural school at Cyclone and farmed with his father.
In December 1916, he accepted employment with the U.S. Government and worked on the construction of the lock and dam on the Brazos River at Port Sullivan, Texas. He worked on this project until November 1919.
In September 1918 with his family he moved to Hearne, Texas to make his home. In December 1919, he was employed by the Humble Pipe Line Company at Hearne and worked on this job for one year. In 1921, he was employed as foreman of the Lewis Farm near Valley Junction and worked for Tom F. Peel. He witnessed the great flood of the Brazos River in 1921 when both of the Brazos Rivers met and completely covered the Brazos Bottom area.
In 1922, he again worked for the Humble Pipe Line Company at Hearne and Groesbeck, Texas. In 1923, he accepted employment with the City of Hearne in the Street and Sewer Department and continued this employment for the next 34 years. He retired as Street & Sewer Department foreman of the City of Hearne July 1, 1957.
Arthur Washington LaGrone married Ora Haynes, daughter of Thomas Jefferson Haynes and Virginia Thompson Haynes of Bell County, Texas, September 9, 1906. Her father was a native of Georgia and her mother was from Illinois. Children born to Arthur Washington LaGrone and Ora Haynes LaGrone are: George Thomas LaGrone, born September 16, 1909, who married Monta May Fulton; Clara Ethel LaGrone, born May 30, 1911, who married Ennie Barnett; Verna Lou Virginia LaGrone, born June 9, 1917, who married Carol Rose; Doris Louise Rose, born August 17, 1922, who married Dixon Perry; Mavis Irene LaGrone, born October 9, 1924; and Ercelle LaGrone, born October 14, 1926, who married Donald L. Boyd.
Arthur Washington LaGrone and his wife are members of the Baptist Church. He is a former member of the Woodmen of the World and served over 20 years in the Hearne Fire Department. He has served the citizens of Hearne in a faithful manner during his many years of service with the City of Hearne.
LAHM, LOUIS E., son of Louis S. Lahm and Ettie L. Crowder Lahm, was born April 17, 1906 in Clarkston, Washington.
He attended grade school in Clarkston, Washington, Hereford, Texas, and Amarillo, Texas. He graduated from Amarillo High School with the Class of 1925. Upon graduation from high school he enrolled at Texas Technological College in Lubbock, Texas and was graduated with a B. S. Degree.
After finishing college, during the depression of the 1930's, he worked for the Santa Fe Railroad, Sinclair Refining Company, and various odd jobs including surveying jobs in and around Amarillo, Texas.
In 1933 was employed by the Texas Company, refining department in Amarillo. He was made chief chemist of this company in Amarillo in 1938 and worked in this position until 1944 when he was transferred to The Texas Company Dallas Refinery as assistant chief chemist. In 1948 when The Texas Company constructed the Hearne Products Terminal, he was transferred to Hearne, Texas as Chief Chemist. In September 1950 he was promoted to Assistant to the Division Superintendent and was made Assistant Division Superintendent in 1953. In September 1957 he was made Division Superintendent of The Texas Company with Hearne headquarters.
He was married to Miss Mildred L. Hammer, daughter of Schuyler W. Hammer and Carrie E. Ellison Hammer of Amarillo, Texas, August 31, 1940.
He is a member of the American Chemical Society; a member of the Presbyterian Church; and a member of the Hearne Lions Club.
son of Mike Lampson and Minnie Todardo Lampson, was born in Brazos
Texas, December 27, 1912. His
father was born in Salemi, Sicily and his mother was born in Louisiana.
He attended grade school in Bryan, Texas and when the family moved to Hearne in the Brazos Bottom in 1925 he attended the Hearne Public Schools graduating from Hearne High School with the Class of 1931. During his high school days, he was a first string left end on the Hearne Eagles football team.
Upon completing high school, he became a cotton farmer in the Brazos Bottom. He was married to Miss Mary Stella Trentacost, daughter of Pete Trentacost and Frances Antone Trentacost, October 9, 1933 at Dallas, Texas. Mr. and Mrs. Lampson have a daughter, Minnie Marie Lampson Scarmardo.
Mr. Lampson is engaged in extensive cotton raising in the Brazos Bottom and is a Director and Stockholder in the Westbrook Valley Gin Company; a Stockholder in the Calvert Co-op Gin; a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; and a member of the Robertson County Farm Bureau.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Lampson are members of St. Mary's Catholic Church where he is a member of St. Mary's Church Men's Club.
JUDGE JOHN FELTON
was born in Longview, Texas, April 23, 1872, the son of W. T. Lane and
Florede Felton Lane. He was a
grandson of John S. Lane, soldier of the Republic of Texas, and was
Miss Molly Wooley at Longview, Texas on April 23, 1893, and was that
admitted to the bar.
After serving two years as assistant county attorney of Gregg County, Judge Lane with his wife came to Hearne in 1895. He practiced law in Hearne continuously from 1895 to 1942, a period of 47 years.
During the many years that he practiced law in Hearne, Judge Lane formed several professional connections. Lane & Bishop, Lane & Wood, Lane, Johnson & Killough, Lane & Reed, Lane & Grace had constituted the firm name over certain periods.
He was an active member of the Texas Bar Association, the Robertson County Bar Association, and honorary member of the South Central Texas Bar Association.
Judge Lane was appointed by Governor Campbell to the post of District Attorney of the 20th judicial District which position he held two years and from which he voluntarily retired. He served as Special District Judge in Robertson County in 1901; was appointed by Governor Neff to special Associate Justice of the Court of Civil Appeals.
He held many positions of trust and honor throughout the years he was known to Robertson County. He served as City Attorney for Hearne from 1896 to 1942; was attorney for the Hearne Building SC Loan Association, and Chairman of Robertson County Democratic Executive Committee.
Judge Lane was widely known as editor and publisher of the Hearne Democrat over a period of 24 years. He was a member of the National Editorial Association and attended press meetings and conferences held in the state.
As a highly esteemed citizen of Hearne, Judge Lane was active in civic, social, and religious affairs and in each connection is known to have always given his best efforts and much of his time.
He was a charter member of the Hearne Rotary Club and served as President of this organization; a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, and a life-long member of the Baptist Church.
Mrs. Lane passed away in 1935. Judge and Mrs. Lane had a daughter, Marguerite Lane Gatling, and two granddaughters; Jean Gatling who was married to Fred Phillips; and Molly Ann Gatling.
Judge Lane was a man of scholarly attainments and of kindly impulses. He had the happy faculty of winning friends among the old and young and was democratic enough to recognize the good in all.
In his long life he gave freely of his time to serve his fellowman and will always be remembered for his kindly and unselfish deeds. He had the respect and love of all that knew him.
High marks were attained by Judge Lane in two professions ... Law and journalism.
His favorite parting expression was, "Goodbye friend, and Good Luck."
Known throughout Texas as the "Tall Sycamore of the Brazos" because of his six feet and seven inches of height, Judge Lane's services as a public speaker were in great demand. Throughout his lifetime, Judge Lane impressed his fellow-editors so much that he was the landmark which distinguished the town of Hearne, and when you mentioned Hearne someone was sure to remark, "Oh, yes, that's where Judge Lane lives."
Many hundreds of times during his life he cheered the poor, humble people with a fatherly pat on the back and a word of encouragement and timely advice for which he charged no fee. Judge John Felton Lane died June 22, 1942.
was born in 1860 and was married to Lula Eugenia McGaw on February 13,
Mrs. Larkin was born in Benton, Yazoo County, Mississippi,
Mr. Larkin engaged in farming and ranching during his lifetime in Hearne and at one time was one of the larger ranchers of this area.
Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Larkin, two died in infancy. Other children are: Gussie Larkin Reed, Floy Larkin Waltmon, Alva Larkin Preston, Lillian Larkin Hoefer, and Lula Larkin Henry.
Grandchildren of Mr. and Mrs. Larkin are: Roy Larkin Henry, Carol Henry Stodsgill, Paley A. Reed Jr., Lucien L. Reed, and Fay E. Hoefer Jr. Mrs. Larkin died July 7, 1903 and Mr. Larkin died in 1937.
LAUGHLIN, ALVIN FLOYD, son of
Robert Madenson Laughlin and Dora Jane Sharp Laughlin, was born
November 26, 1893 at Eddy in Falls County, Texas. He attended the
public schools at Eddy and Chilton, Texas. In 1901, when he was
eight years old, his mother died and he made his home with his
grandparents. After finishing school, he farmed in Falls
County. In June 1917, he entered the U.S. Army as a volunteer at
Waco, Texas. He received his military training at Camp Bowie near
Fort Worth. In July 1918, he was sent to France and served during
World War I until April 1919 when he received his discharge. He
returned to Chilton and worked for various construction companies in
Chilton, Jacksboro, and Burkburnett through 1921. During the
years 1922, 1923, and 1924, he farmed and operated a meat market at
Chilton, Texas. On March 20, 1925, he began his employment with
the Humble Pipe Line Company at Chilton, Texas and worked as a helper,
line walker, oiler, and engineer. In 1930 he transferred to
Fairfield, Texas where he worked for Humble until August 1933.
From August 1933 to March 31, 1941, he worked in Chilton and from April
1, 1941 to July 31, 1950 he worked at Pittsburg, Texas. Later, he
worked for Humble at Valley Mills, Texas and on November 22, 1950, he
moved to Hearne, Texas to continue his employment with the Humble Pipe
Line Company as an engineer at the Hearne pump station. He
retired from Humble Pipe Line Company, July 1, 1958, after service 33
years, 3 months, and 10 days with this company.
Alvin Floyd Laughlin married Pearl Fulton, daughter of John Jones Fulton and Isadora Jane Smith Fulton of Chilton, Texas, January 30, 1923. Pearl Fulton Laughlin attended the public schools of Chilton, Texas and later attended business college in Waco. She has been active in the communities she has lived in since her marriage being a member of the Community Study Club of Humble Women; the Ready Club; History Club (Federated); and a member of the First Baptist Church where she is active in the Women's Missionary Union. She has been a member of the Baptist Sunday School since childhood.
Alvin Floyd Laughlin is a member of the First Baptist Church; the American Legion; the I.O.O.F. Lodge, and in 1933 received from the U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Mines, Certificate of First Aid Training. In 1941, he purchased the Fulton estate property near Chilton, Texas and for a number of years raised horses and registered Hereford cattle. In 1958, he continues to own this ranch property and maintains an interest in ranching at this location.
Since his retirement on July 1, 1958, Alvin Floyd Laughlin and his wife Pearle Fulton Laughlin, continue to live at their home at 201 Calvert Street in Hearne, their adopted hometown, and enjoy the cool breeze that comes across Loss Creek near their home.
son of Mr. and Mrs. R. B. Leslie, was born in Monticello, Arkansas, on
7, 1895. His early schooling was in
Monticello. With his family he later moved
to Corsicana, Texas where he
graduated from High School.
After completing his high school education he entered business college at San Marcos, Texas completing this phase of his education just before entering military service during World War I.
He was discharged from the U. S. Army in August 1919 and then began his working career with the Humble Pipe Line Company in March 1920 at Breckenridge, Texas. He was also located at Brownwood, Cisco and Satsuma before being transferred to Hearne, September 13, 1941 as Station Foreman.
He was married to Miss Nola Milton of Houston, Texas, February 18, 1925 and two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Leslie: Thomas M. Leslie who graduated from Hearne High School in 1942 and entered Texas A&M College and served with the armed forces during World War II; and Betty Jane Leslie Casey who also graduated from Hearne High School in 1947.
Mr. Leslie is a Steward in Grace Methodist Church and a former Chairman of the Board of Stewards; a former Director of the Hearne Rotary Club; a member of the Hearne Golfer's Association; and a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce.
LESSOR, JOHN LAMAR
SR., son of Jim Richard Lessor and Mary Florence Reed Lessor,
was born at Althiemer, Arkansas, July 26, 1893. He attended the
public school and high school at his hometown in Arkansas.
He began his railroad career when he was 14 years old. He worked for the Gulf Coast & Santa Fe Railroad at Galveston, Texas; the Missouri-Kansas & Texas Railroad, the Rock Island Railroad; the Fort Worth & Denver Railroad, and the Frisco Railroad.
On December 28, 1913, he hired out to the old Hearne & Brazos Valley Railroad which had been purchased by the Houston & Texas Central Railroad Company in 1900. This railroad was commonly known as "The Jack." His first job on this railroad was assisting with the clean up after this line had been badly damaged by the flood of 1913. He served as assistant foreman on this job to restore service to this line. His employment with the H. & T. C. Railroad Company continued until his retirement on November 30, 1957. He completed 50 years of railroad service and at the time of his retirement, he was Roadmaster for the S. P. Lines with Hearne headquarters.
John Lamar Lessor married Mary Etta Billings, daughter of Algenon Sidney Billings and Ella O'Neal Billings, September 9, 1922 at San Antonio, Texas. A son, John Lamar Lessor Jr. was born to John Lamar Lessor and Mary Etta Billings Lessor.
John Lamar Lessor constructed a home on Magnolia Street and moved his family to Hearne, Texas, June 15, 1927. John Lamar Lessor Jr. attended the Hearne public schools and graduated from Hearne High School. He was married to Lottie Avis Payne, daughter of Jimmie Franklin Payne and Lottie Carolyn Thompson Payne. A son, John Lamar Lessor III, and a daughter, Mary Carolyn Lessor, were born to John Lamar Lessor Jr. & Lottie Avis Payne Lessor.
John Lamar Lessor, one of the most experienced railroad men this country has produced, was well known in railroad circles, and was highly respected by his fellow railroad officials. He was the rough and ready type of railroader who could get the job done well and efficiently. He formed many lasting friendships in the Hearne area and was considered on of Hearne's most substantial citizens. He was a member of the Roadmasters Association during his active days of railroading.
was born in Poland, July 16, 1863 and came to America to make his home
He came to Hearne in 1900 and was active in the business of owning and operating his dry goods store until his retirement.
He was married to Miss Rosa Cohen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Simon Cohen. The following children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Levine: Pansy Levine, Beatrice Levine, Fanny Levine, and a son Ralph Levine. Mr. Levine was highly respected by his fellowman, and as successful in his business. He died April 17, 1957.
COLONEL CHARLES. Although a number of
settlers had taken up their abode within
the present limits of Robertson County, prior to the Texas Revolution
and others continued to do so during the succeeding years of the
was not until a much later date that the Brazos portion of the county
fill with the thrifty class of planters whose intelligent and well
labors did so much towards developing the wonderfully rich soil of that
and in giving to the county the excellent reputation for agriculture
has since enjoyed.
The year 1852 is marked in the history of the state as the one during which occurred the greatest immigration previous to the Texas Revolution. Robertson County received its proportion of that immigration, and from that year dates the advent in the county of many who were afterwards distinguished for their thrift, wealth and good citizenship. Of this number was Colonel Charles Lewis of Hearne.
Colonel Lewis was born in Farmington, Connecticut, April 14, 1820. His father was Calvin Lewis and his mother was Martha Root, both of whom were natives of Connecticut and descendants of early settler New England families. Mr. Lewis was educated and reared in his native state and received an excellent education.
At the age of 24 years, he left Connecticut on account of ill health and went to Louisiana, taking up his residence in Bozier Parish. There he met, and in March 1846 married Miss Adeline Hearne, a daughter of William and Nancy Hearne and sister of Ebenezer and Horatio Ransome Hearne, in company of the latter two of whom he came to Texas in 1852 and settled at Wheelock in Robertson County.
Mr. Lewis was engaged in planting in Louisiana and immediately on settling in Robertson County, he opened a plantation on the Brazos. He gave his attention exclusively to this interest until after the Civil War up to which time he resided at Wheelock. After the Civil War he lived a year on his plantation, then at Houston for six years, and when the town of Hearne was being laid out he moved to Hearne where the remainder of his life was spent.
He was one of the first to locate in Hearne and erected the first business building and the first dwelling. He was one of the earliest and always one of the most steadfast supporters of the town of Hearne and all its interest. His own interests and pursuits were of a somewhat diversified nature, though chiefly agricultural. In the course of years he developed a large plantation in the Brazos Bottom and acquired a considerable amount of property.
Born and reared in a cold climate, the vigor of his intellect lost nothing by transplanting while he added to it habit of unweary exertion and sound practical business methods. His reputation was that of a safe, steady-going, straight-forward man of business and his judgment always commanded respect.
He represented Robertson County two terms in the State Legislature and proved an able and acceptable representative. He had but little inclination, however, for public affairs and gave way in such matters to those more eager for popular applause and political preferment. A Democrat in politics, he always gave a cordial support to the men and measures of his party. He was a strong sympathizer with the South during the Civil War and though not in military service, he lent the cause very substantial aid of a kind it stood most in need of.
Mr. Lewis was made a Mason in early manhood and took great interest in the order. He was a charter member of the Masonic Lodge at Hearne that he subsequently served as Master. He became a member of the Presbyterian Church at the age of 16 and supported his church and all worthy purposes.
Mr. Lewis died October 22, 1880. He had a son, Henry L. Lewis, and two daughters; Fannie Lewis who married Frank A. Glass, and Willie Lewis, who married Dr. A. C. Moreland of Atlanta, Georgia.
was born in Europe in 1856 and came to the United States in early life.
He was married January 23, 1887 to Miss Lizzie Cohen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Simon Cohen. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Lipsitz: Louis Lipsitz, Tillie Lipsitz Oderbolz, Hortense Lipsitz Friedlander, and Mrs. Adolph Schepps.
He engaged in the mercantile business in Hearne for 33 years and then moved to Houston and later to Calvert where he lived at the time of his death.
During his active business years in Hearne, Mr. Lipsitz was honored by the citizens of Hearne by being elected to serve on the Hearne City Council. He will long be remembered in Hearne for his calm and happy disposition and the cheery greeting he had for all who passed his way. Always ready to cooperate in movements for the benefit of his chosen town, he took a deep interest in current state and national affairs which he enjoyed discussing with his friends.
His life in Hearne was a constant accumulation of friends and esteem. He died in 1934.
LITTLE, WILLIAM ODIS, son of
William Thomas Little and Gertie Lee Brice Little, was born December
10, 1912, in the LaSalle community near Groesbeck in Limestone, County,
Texas. His family were pioneer Mississippians who came by wagon
train to settle in Limestone County in 1849. The LaSalle
community is near Fort Parker Lake. Gertie Lee Brice Little was
born at Prairie Home, Oklahoma. Relatives of William Thomas
Little were massacred by Comanche Indians during the attack on Fort
Parker. Other children born to William Thomas Little and Gertie
Lee Brice Little are: Olean Little, Opal Liddle, Ovel Little,
Onita Little, Ola Little, Oreater Little, Olen Little, and Orland
William Odis Little attended the public schools of Groesbeck. After finishing school, he was employed by the Magnolia Pipe Line Company in 1926 and worked for this company for two years. In 1928, he returned to the family farm in the LaSalle community and farmed for six years. During 1934 and 1935, he served in the CCC at Coolidge, Texas.
In 1936 and 1937, he worked for the Humble Pipe Line Company at Marlin, Texas. From 1938 to 1946, he farmed in the LaSalle community. During 1946, he entered the construction business. He moved to Hearne, Texas, November 28, 1946 to make his home and he worked at Texas A & M College. In 1948, he became associated with the C. & S. Grain & Lumber Company of Hearne and continued his construction work with this firm until January 1958 when he entered the construction business independently.
William Odis Little married Minnie Ola Dossey, daughter of William Green Dossey and Mary Elizabeth Mead Dossey of Groesbeck, Texas, June 5, 1935. Her father was a native of Arkansas and her mother was born and reared in Texas. Minnie Ola Dossey Little attended the rural schools of Los Prairie and LaSalle in Limestone County, Texas. Her relatives also were pioneer settlers of the LaSalle community and Lost Prairie in 1849.
William Odis Little is a member of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge No. 361 of Hearne and in 1958 serves as Junior Warden. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias; a member of the Bethany Baptist Church; a member of the Robertson County Gun Club; a member of the Hearne Quarterback Club; and serves as President of The Hermit Club.
Minnie Ola Dossey Little is a member of the Bethany Baptist Church and a member of the Order of the Eastern Star. She has been active in the business activities of Hearne having been employed as cashier for the Red & White Grocery, a clerk with The Famous Dry Goods Company, cashier for Brady's IGA Store, and a teller for the First State Bank of Hearne since September 1957.
LOCKETT, VICTOR LEE, son of John Lockett and Sarah
Elizabeth Riley Lockett, was born June 16, 1887 at Hearne, Texas.
His father was born in North Carolina and his mother was born at
Hackberry near Halletsville, Texas.
Other children born to John Lockett and Sarah Elizabeth Riley Lockett were: Arthur Lockett, Nettie Lockett, and Albert "Shad" Lockett. Nettie Lockett married Sam C. Brown, early day Constable in Hearne. The following children were born to Sam C. Brown and Nettie Lockett Brown: Travis Brown, Mervin Brown and Elizabeth Brown.
Victor Lee Lockett attended the public schools of Hearne. After finishing his schooling he became a bricklayer under the supervision of J. H. Wilson and John Robb early Hearne building contractors. He was employed in this work during the construction of many of the fine old homes of Hearne and also employed on the construction of the South Texas Cotton Oil Company oil mill at Hearne. After the disastrous fire in the business district of Bremond, Texas in the early 1900's in the employment of J. H. Wilson and John Robb he helped in the rebuilding of the business district of that town.
In 1904 he accepted employment with the Webb Cotton Compress Company with headquarters in Minden, Louisiana and worked in all of the southern cotton states in the construction of cotton compresses.
In 1917 he enlisted in the U. S. Army and served in France and Germany during World War I. He was discharged as a Corporal on August 7, 1919 at Camp Pike, Arkansas. He served with the 4th Division Combat Engineers.
After receiving his discharge from military service he returned to his job with the Webb Cotton Compress Company at Galveston, Texas and helped in the construction of a cotton compress in Galveston. He later was employed by Harris & Eriby Cotton Compress Company of Galveston as Chief Engineer and worked for this firm until 1930. During 1930 he moved to Houston where he was employed as engineer for the Manchester Terminal Compress & Warehouse.
In 1933 he returned to Hearne, Texas and engaged in the construction business. He is a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post of Hearne and was a charter member of the Woodmen of the World Lodge that was organized in Hearne in 1908.
Victor Lee Lockett, a bachelor, is one of Hearne's oldest native born citizens and continues to make his home in Hearne during his retirement.
was born in Jackson County, Georgia, July 25, 1853, and continued to
live in his
native state until 1902 when he and his family moved to Hearne to take
properties inherited from John N. Sailors, a pioneer resident of Hearne.
He was married to Miss Nannie Louise Martin on January 15, 1874. Mrs. Lord was a native of Jackson County, Georgia. Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Lord; two children died in infancy and a daughter, Mrs. H. D. Gober died in 1927. Other children of Mr. and Mrs. Lord were: J. T. Lord, 0. G. Lord, W. E. Lord, Lela Lord, Nezzie Lord Sisson, Nannie Lee Lord Sedwick.
Mr. Lord engaged in farming and livestock raising up to the time ill health forced him to retire. He was a consistent and faithful member of the Baptist Church and was a good citizen of Hearne. Mr. Lord died in October 1934 and is buried in Norwood Cemetery in Hearne, a community where both he and Mrs. Lord formed many friends with the older generation.
son of Albert and Mary Johnson Luke, was born in New Castle, Durham
England, March 15, 1866.
In 1878, at the age of 12 years, he came to America to make his home, the Luke family locating in Eagle Lake, Texas. After attending school in Eagle Lake, John Luke went to work for the Galveston, Houston & San Antonio Railroad Company in 1886. He worked for this railroad until 1891 when he moved to Houston, Texas and became a locomotive fireman with the Houston & Texas Central Railroad Company.
Later he was promoted to locomotive engineer for the H. & T. C. Railroad. He moved to Hearne, Texas in 1898 where he ran as extra engineer. Most of his years of service with the H. & T. C. Railroad was spent in the Hearne yards as an engineer on the switch engine.
One of the most interesting incidents in Mr. Luke's railroad career was the occasion when the first airplane flew over Hearne in the days prior to World War I. He alarmed the citizenry with repeated blasts from the whistle of his switch engine.
He retired from the railroad in 1928 after 42 years of active service as a locomotive fireman and engineer.
In 1892 he was married to Cornelia Morris of Hearne. The marriage took place in Hearne, Texas and the ceremony was performed by The Reverend Williford, a Methodist minister. Mrs. Luke was born in Alabama, August 18, 1868. She was a sister of E. J. "Fuller" Morris and a half sister to William Worth Bivin, pioneer citizens of Hearne. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Luke: a daughter, Marie Luke who was born in 1900 and who married Frank Nixon, a locomotive fireman with the H. & T. C. Railroad; and a son, Edward W. Luke, who married Jimmie Brown, daughter of Thomas Greenwood Brown and Beulah Carolyn Tamplin Brown. A son, Thomas Edward Luke, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Edward W. Luke. He married Marion Feather of Chicago, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Edward Luke have a son, Thomas Edward Luke Jr.
Edward W. Luke was employed by the H. & T. C. Railroad as a switchman in the Hearne yards and also as a brakeman running from Hearne to Houston and from Hearne to Ennis. He served in the U. S. Army during World War I; is a former member of the Hearne Volunteer Fire Department; and was affiliated with the Brotherhood of Railway Tainmen during the time he was employed in railroad work.
John Luke was an active member of the Hearne Volunteer Fire Department for 27 years. An amusing incident happened during his service as a volunteer fireman that he got quite a kick out of telling and re-telling. It seems that during the process of answering an alarm Edward W. Luke was driving the Model T Ford fire truck and B. G. Talmadge, a long-time member of the department who stuttered, was riding on the front seat with Ed Luke. John Luke was riding on the rear of the fire truck. The truck took the corner on Fourth and Market Streets on two wheels and John Luke was slung off. Mr. Talmadge attempted to tell Ed Luke of the happenings as follows: "Eeee-d, y-you s-s-slung y-y-your d-d-daddy o-off the t-t-ruck b-b-back t-t-there." It seems that Mr. Talmadge kept trying to tell the driver of what had happened, but the fire truck had reached the scene of the fire before Mr. Talmadge could make Ed Luke understand just what had happened. When he did, Mr. Talmadge said: "H-h-h--l its t-t-too l-l-late n-n-now."
John Luke was a member of the First Baptist Church of Hearne and a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Engineers. After his retirement in 1928 he continued his interest in railroading and quite frequently was seen visiting with his old "buddies" near the roundhouse and in the railroad yards.
John Luke died February 10, 1944 and Mrs. Luke died August 6, 1950.
was born in the Henry Prairie Community in Robertson County, Texas in
son of Mr. and Mrs. B. L. Lusk, farmers in that area.
He spent his early boyhood days working on his father's farm and attended the country school there.
After leaving the family farm, he was employed by the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company and worked as a car repairman at Valley junction.
On January 19, 1902, he was married to Miss Lillie Mae Nash, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. P. Nash of the Edge Community in Brazos County, Texas.
After completing his service with the railroad, he engaged in the cafe business until his retirement. Mr. and Mrs. Lusk moved to Hearne in 1910 to make their home and both of them remained citizens of Hearne for the remainder of their lives. They were both lifetime members of the Baptist Church.
Children born to Mr. and Mrs. Lusk are: Hubert A. Lusk, William Oscar Lusk, Ora Mae Lusk Metras, John Travis Lusk, Ethel Lusk Smith, Robert Wesley Lusk, and Myrtle Lusk Rott.
Mrs. Lusk, who was born April 25, 1880, passed away August 18, 1949 and Dock Alexander Lusk died in 1948.
LYNN, WILLIAM ANDREW, son of
Andrew Asbery Lynn and Mattie Ferguson Lynn, was born September 26,
1892 at Elkton, Tennessee. With his family he moved to Texas and
attended the rural schools at Italy, Texas; Canton, Texas; and
Stranger, Texas. After finishing his schooling, he farmed from
1911 to 1923.
On June 16, 1923, he began his career with the railroad and was employed as a telegraph lineman by the Southern Pacific Railroad Company at Mexia, Texas. During his career with the railroad, he worked as a telegraph lineman at Baldwin, Louisiana; Skidmore, Texas; Del Rio, Texas; Marfa, Texas; Yoakum, Texas; Giddings, Texas;, Mexia, Texas; and Hearne, Texas. He retired from active duty with the Southern Pacific Railroad Company, November 1, 1957, after completing 34 years of service. He moved to Hearne, Texas to make his home October 1, 1928.
William Andrew Lynn married Ola Lula Davlin Cox, daughter of Hugh Davlin and Susan Ramby Davlin, September 8, 1928. The marriage was performed at Bryan, Texas. Ola Lula Davlin Lynn was born and reared in Robertson County, Texas and moved to Hearne, Texas, June 19, 1928 from Franklin, Texas.
William Andrew Lynn and his wife Ola Lula Davlin Lynn, are members of the First Baptist Church of Hearne where she is active in the Womans' Missionary Society. William Andrew Lynn is a former member of the Woodmen of the World; the I. O. O. F. Lodge; and during his railroading days was a member of the American Brotherhood of Electrical Workers.
DR. JACK A.,
son of Mr. and Mrs. John P. Lyons, was born June 30, 1926 at
He attended school in Georgetown and graduated from Georgetown High School with the Class of 1943. He then entered Southwestern University and attended for one year before serving in the U. S. Navy during World War II in 1944-45.
Upon his discharge from naval service, he entered the University of Texas College of Dentistry in Houston, Texas and received his degree in 1949. He again entered the U. S. Navy, serving as Dental Officer to the First Marine Air Wing. He was released from active duty in 1952 and moved to Hearne to set up his dental practice.
He was married to Miss Dorlyne Littleton in Houston, January 21, 1950 and they have two daughters; Patricia Lyons and Elizabeth Lyons.
Both Dr. and Mrs. Lyons are members of Grace Methodist Church. Dr. Lyons is a member and Past President of the Hearne Rotary Club; a member of the American Legion; member of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge with his 32nd Degree Masonic membership being at Austin; Past President of the Hearne Golfer's Association; a member and Past President of the Brazos Valley District Dental Society.
Page Modified: 15 September 2014
Copyright © 2014-present by
Copyright © 2014-present byJane Keppler. This information may be used by individuals for their own personal use, libraries and genealogical societies. Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission from Jane Keppler. If material is copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information and please email me and let me know. Neither the Site Coordinators nor the volunteers assume any responsibility for the information or material given by the contributors or for errors of fact or judgment in material that is published at this website.