Welcome!County Coordinator is Jane Keppler.
County Co-Coordinator is Jean Huot Smoorenburg
If you have any questions or would like to submit information for Robertson County, please email one of the above.
|site search by freefind|
TXGenWeb Robertson County Books & Master's Theses
H E A R N E O N T H E B R A Z O S
Used with permission of Norman Lowell McCarver, Jr. These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format by other organizations or individuals. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material must obtain the written consent of McCarver family relatives.
Biographical Sketches - M
MAHAN, PARKER ODELL, son of John Walker Mahan
and Hessie Mae Guynes Mahan, was born at Elliott, Texas, in Robertson
County, July 12, 1906. He attended the rural schools of Elliott
After finishing his schooling, he farmed with his father until 1926. On October 16, 1926, he moved to Hearne, Texas and went to work for the Humble Pipe Line Company. He worked as a pipeliner, oiler, truck driver, and head stock gauger. He was promoted to engineer and in 1958 is an engineer with the Humble Products Station of the Humble Pipe Line Company at Hearne.
On July 26, 1926, he was married to Virginia Estell King, daughter of Robert Alexander King and Elizabeth Ann Dunsford King of Franklin, Texas. Virginia Estell King Mahan attended the public schools of Franklin. In May 1952, she began a career in nursing and has been associated with the hospitals in Hearne in this profession.
Two children were born to Parker Odell Mahan and Virginia Estell King Mahan; a son, Dr. Parker Eugene Mahan who is a practicing dentist in Rochester, New York; and a daughter, Madalyn Elizabeth Mahan. Dr. Parker Eugene Mahan attended the public schools of Hearne and is a graduate of Hearne High School. He married Lorraine Nottage of Key West, Florida. Two daughters were born to Dr. Parker Eugene Mahan and Lorraine Nottage Mahan: Cheryl Christine Mahan and Kathy Lee Mahan. Madalyn Elizabeth Mahan married Larry Robert Mangold of San Antonio, Texas. She also attended the public schools of Hearne and graduated from Hearne High School. Two children were born to Madalyn Elizabeth Mahan Mangold and Larry Robert Mangold: Sue Mangold and David Robert Mangold.
Parker Odell Mahan and Virginia Estell King Mahan are members of the First Baptist Church of Hearne. He is a member of the Woodmen of the World; a member of the Board of Directors of the Camp Creek Water Company; and is Auditor for the Hearne Building & Loan Association.
MALONE, ARTHUR EDWARD, was born August 29, 1902 at Mansfield, Tarrant County, Texas, the son of James Monroe Malone and Hattie Hathway Malone. Both of his parents were pioneer citizens of DeKalb County, Tennessee.
He was graduated from Celina High School in Collin County, Texas in 1918 and later attended Brantley-Draughon Business College in Fort Worth.
Upon completing his education, he was employed by the Burton Peel Dry Goods Company in Fort Worth for one year. He then moved to Celina, Texas where he entered the dry goods business for himself. In 1934 he owned and operated an independent brokerage business handling packing house products.
He moved to Hearne in 1936 and in partnership with L. W. Perkins, the Western Auto Associate Store opened on the corner of Magnolia and Third Streets, August 29, 1936. He sold his interest in this business in 1946 and established a retail feed store business on Third Street which he operated until 1947. In July 1947 in partnership with Charles E. Blake, the insurance and real estate firm of Blake &- Malone was established.
He was married to Miss Hazel Irene Talkington, daughter of Lon Talkington and Laura Graves Talkington, April 20, 1926. Mrs. Malone's home was in McKinney, Texas.
He is a member of the First Baptist Church of Hearne where he served as Church Treasurer for a number of years; a former member of the Board of Education of the Hearne Independent School District; a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; and a member of the Hearne Rotary Club.
son of Mr. and Mrs. E. L. Maris, was born in the Grant Prairie
Robertson County, Texas, May 4, 1921.
He attended school at Grant Prairie before transferring to Franklin High School from which he graduated in 1938. Upon graduation from high school, he went to work for the Triple A Farm Program in Franklin, working with this organization until he entered the U. S. Army in 1942. After receiving his discharge from military service during World War II he returned to Franklin in 1945 and accepted a position as a deputy tax collector of Robertson County. He worked at this position for eight months and then he entered Sam Houston State College at Huntsville, Texas. He received his B. S. Degree from this school in 1949.
Upon receiving his college degree he returned to Franklin and accepted a position as assistant to the County School Superintendent and remained in that position until September 1, 1956 when he accepted employment with the Hearne Independent School District as Tax Assessor-Collector and Business Manager. He received his Masters Degree in Education in 1956 from Sam Houston State College.
He was married to Miss Janelle Petty of the Henry Prairie community of Robertson County, June 27, 1947. Mr. and Mrs. Maris have two children: Mike Maris and Marsha Maris. All of the members of the Maris family are members of the First Baptist Church where Mr. Maris serves as a member of the Board of Deacons. He is a member and Past Master of the Patrick Masonic Lodge No. 359 of Franklin.
was born in Taylor County Kentucky on July 27, 1857, the son of John A.
and Ann E. Watson Marshall.
In 1893, he left his native state and came to Texas to engage in business in Houston. He came to Hearne in 1899 as manager of the National Cotton Oil Mill that later operated as the Industrial Oil Mill. He held this position for several years and then was connected with the Merchants & Planters Company of Houston in a traveling capacity. Later he owned and operated a real estate and insurance agency in Hearne.
In 1900 he was married to Miss Valesca Steffan, daughter of Jacob Steffan and Eugenie Gerbracht Steffan. Mrs. Marshall was born in Hearne, June 16, 1880 and attended a public school in Hearne until she reached the high school grades. She then attended Winston-Salem Female College in North Carolina, graduating with the Class of 1899.
She and Mr. Marshall were married in St. Phillips Episcopal Church. Two daughters were born to Mr. and Mrs. Marshall; Eugenie Marshall Allen and Ann Marshall Cole. Grandchildren are: Richard Allen, Walter Allen, Brady Marshall Cole, Richard Rosser Cole, and Wharton Cole.
When the Planters & Merchants State Bank was organized in Hearne in 1907, Mr. Marshall was a member of the organizing group and served on the Board of Directors up to the time of his death. In addition to his private business, Mr. Marshall found time as a progressive citizen to serve as a director of the Hearne Building & Loan Association and a director of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce. He was a charter member of the Hearne Rotary Club, a member of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge, a member of the Hearne City Council, and served for many years on the Vestry of St. Philips Episcopal Church. Mr. Marshall died April 16, 1944 and Mrs. Marshall died May, 20, 1957.
SR., son of Robert T. "Little Bob" Martin and Marie
Martin, was born in Hearne, Texas, May 10, 1891.
During his early boyhood he attended public school in Hearne but later moved to Houston, Texas and was graduated from high school in that city in 1910.
In the fall of 1910 he went to work in the cotton office of George H. McFadden & Brother in Hearne and continued to work for this firm until 1920 when he formed a partnership in the cotton buying business with D. R. Atkisson, this firm operating in Hearne for 10 years before being dissolved in 1930. During 1926 he moved to Waco in order to enter a larger territory for his cotton buying business and moved back to Hearne in 1928. After dissolving the firm of Adkisson & Martin in 1930 he continued in the cotton buying business. At one time, 1938 through 1942, he was agent in Hearne for the Magnolia Petroleum Company. He entered the automobile business in partnership with Patrick B. Hall under the firm name of Martin-Hall Company.
He has served on tax equalization boards and was a member of the War Ration Board during World War II. His father, Robert T. Martin, was born March 15, 1860 and died August 19, 1899. His mother, Marie Louise Fowler Martin, was born June 4, 1867 and died September 13, 191 1. Other children born to Mr. and Mrs. Robert T. Martin were: Robert Fowler Martin, Norine Martin Wilrich, Marie Louise Martin, John Franklin Martin, and Rose Marcita Martin.
Glenny Dial Martin was married to Miss Lucille Welch, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles P. Welch, December 25, 1916. Three sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. Martin: Glenny Dial Martin Jr., Captain Robert W. Martin, and Arnold Randolph Martin. All of these Martin boys are graduates of Hearne High School.
Mrs. Martin was born in Hearne, December 21, 1898. She attended the Hearne schools and graduated from Hearne High School in 1916, and later attended Baylor University School of Music and taught music in Hearne for many years. She was appointed Postmaster of Hearne, April 16, 1945. Mrs. Martin is a charter member of the Hearne Music Club and a former member of the Hearne Shakespeare Club. Her church affiliation is with the First Baptist Church of Hearne.
Glenny Dial Martin Jr. was born October 2, 1917; Captain Robert W. Martin was born January 18, 1922; and Arnold Randolph Martin was born February 25, 1923.
Glenny Dial Martin's maternal great grandmother was Mary O'Meara of Ireland and his grandmother Fowler at one time owned and operated the Alden Hotel which was located on the corner of Fifth and Market Streets in Hearne. His grandfather, Robert T. "Big Bob" Martin was born in Kilkenny, Ireland in 1834 and died July 19, 1888 and is buried in Norwood Cemetery in Hearne.
HENRY VICTOR JR.,
was born in Hearne, Texas, July 23, 1924, the son of Henry Victor
Lena C. Moseley Martin.
He attended Hearne public schools and was graduated from Hearne High School with the Class of 1942. He then enlisted in the U. S. Army where he served for thirty-four months during World War II, his overseas duty being in Europe.
He returned to Hearne the latter part of 1945 after being discharged from military duty. He began the operation of Martin's Cleaners in February 1946, this business being located on Magnolia Street in Hearne, a business that previously had been established and operated by his father.
He was married to Miss Ruth Gean Stephens, daughter of James Edgar Stephens and Gean Lancaster Stephens of Hearne, Texas, April 6 1947. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Martin: Ira Lee Martin, Vicki Gean Martin, and Susan Ann Martin.
Mr. and Mrs. Martin are communicants of St. Philips Episcopal Church where Mr. Martin serves as a member of the Vestry and Mrs. Martin is active in the Church School.
He is a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legions Post of Hearne, a former member of the Hearne Rotary Club, and is very ,active in the work of Cub Scouting.
son of William LaFayette Martin and Nancy Ann Thornhill Martin, was
Brookhaven, Mississippi, October 17, 1891.
He attended school at Brookhaven and graduated from the Georgia-Alabama Business College at Macon, Georgia in 1911.
Upon graduation from business college he was employed as a bookkeeper for the Hawkinsville Trading Company at Hawkinsville, Georgia until the summer of 1912 when he moved to Winfield, Louisiana and was employed as a clerk for the Tremont & Gulf Railroad Company. Later he served as agent for the same railroad company at Rochelle, Louisiana.
In 1913 he returned to Winfield, Louisiana and worked for the Louisiana & Arkansas Railroad for a year.
He moved to Hearne, Texas in 1914 and was employed in the dispatcher's office of the Houston & Texas Central Railroad Company and in 1916 he served as timekeeper at the H. & T. C. Railroad roundhouse. In 1917 he became Chief Clerk in the freight office of the H. & T. C. Railroad and continued in this position until 1921 when he accepted employment with the D. R. Adkisson & Company of Hearne as a cotton buyer. In December 1924 he began work with the Marga Cotton Company of Galveston as a cotton buyer in the East Texas area. During the latter part of 1924 he established a cleaning and pressing business in Hearne, but he continued to be a cotton buyer until 1932.
In 1930 he was elected to serve as a member of the Board of Education of the Hearne Independent School District and served for twelve years. He also served as Secretary to the School Board during these years. He resigned from the school board in 1942 when he was appointed Tax Assessor-Collector for the Hearne Independent School District and served in this capacity through 1946.
He joined the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge of Hearne in 1917 and served as secretary of this organization. During the years that he followed the railroading profession he was a member of the Brotherhood of Railway Clerks. He is a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce and his religious affiliation is with the Baptist Church.
He married Miss Tinnye Moseley, daughter of John M. Moseley and Alma E. Sanders Moseley, January 16, 1916. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Martin: Francis Martin Putz, Margaret Martin Lumpkin, and Henry Victor Martin Jr. Mrs. Martin's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Moseley, were pioneer citizens of Hearne.
son of Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Massey, was born at Franklin, Texas, May 10,
In 1916, with his family he moved to Corsicana, Texas to make
He attended grade school in Corsicana but his teen-age years
at Olden and Turkey, Texas. He
graduated from Turkey High School in 1933.
Upon graduation from high school he returned to Corsicana and worked in the County Clerk's office of Navarro County for four years. In 1937 he went to work for the Southern Pacific Railroad Company in Corsicana and transferred to Hearne in 1941, where he has served as yardmaster-switchman.
He was married to Miss Vanita Pratt in Waco, Texas, November 30, 1939 and he and Mrs. Massey have three children: Linda Massey, Carolyn Massey, and a son, William Massey.
Collin S. Massey is a member of the Church of Christ; a member of the Hearne City Council; and is very active in youth work, especially with the Little League Baseball program.
MATHEWS, JOHN E., son of John W. "Captain Jack" Mathews
and Fannie Taylor Mathews, was born August 16, 1887 at Hearne, Texas.
He attended the Hearne public schools. When he became a young man, he went to work as a brakeman for the T. & B. V. Railroad and later was promoted to a conductor.
In 1909 he married Verna Josephine Wood, daughter of Robert T. Wood and Eliza Jane Eberley Wood of Hempstead, Texas. A son, John Wood Mathews, was born January 27, 1911 to Mr. and Mrs. Mathews. Robert T. Wood, father of Verna Wood Mathews, was born in 1851 and died in 1913. Eliza Jane Eberley Wood, mother of Verna Wood Mathews, was born in 1857 and died in 1939.
While on duty as a conductor for the T. & B. V. Railroad, John E. Mathews was killed in a railroad accident near North Zulch, Texas, March 2, 1911.
son of Little Berry Mathews and Jane
Agnes Anderson Mathews, was born October 28, 1891 at Hearne,
Texas. His parents were pioneer citizens of the Hearne area.
He attended the Hearne schools. On December 28, 1909 he went to work for the H. & T. C. Railroad as a clerk and worked in this position until 1912 when he began work as a switchman in the Hearne yards.
On December 19, 1914, he was married to Eunice Gardner, daughter of Charles Wilburn Gardner and Mary Magdalene Knipp Gardner of Hearne. Charles W. Gardner, who fought for the Southern Confederacy during the Civil War, was born in 1842 and died in 1924. Mary Magdalene Knipp Gardner was born in 1862 and died in 1924.
The following children were born to Otho Mathews and Eunice Gardner Mathews: Otho Mathews Jr., Jack Walton Mathews, Edward Lee "Jiggs" Mathews, Jane Mathews Willis, and Charles Mathews.
Mr. and Mrs. Mathews are members of Grace Methodist Church of Hearne and Mr. Mathews is a member of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen.
Otho Mathews, who began his career with the railroad December 28, 1909 retired December 31, 1957 completing 48 years of railroad service.
JULIUS EFRUM “SNOOKIE”,
son of Clarence E. Mathis and Mary Isa Keeling Mathis, was born in
Texas, May 6, 1913.
He attended the Hearne Public Schools and Hearne High School, playing football on the Hearne Eagles team in 1929 and 1930.
Upon the completion of his schooling he entered the general contracting business. He entered the U. S. Navy, May 4, 1944 and served until January 16, 1946 during World War II, his active duty being in the Pacific area.
Upon his discharge from military service, he returned to Hearne to resume his building contract business.
He married Johnoween Smyth, daughter of John George Smyth and Charlie Ramsey Smyth, July 20, 1934. The marriage was solemnized in Bryan, Texas. Two children, Patricia Ann Mathis and John Ramsey Mathis, were born to Mr. and Mrs. Mathis.
He is a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post #454 of Hearne; a member of the Hearne Parent-Teachers Association; a member of the Hearne Volunteer Fire Department; a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; served as Chaplain and Historian of the American Legion Post; is Past Commander of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post #454; served on the National Rehabilitation Committee; served on the National Committee of the American Legion; served as Commander of the 6th District American Legion; is a Communicant of St. Philips Episcopal Church where he has served as Church School Superintendent, Senior Warden, junior Warden, and as a member of the Vestry.
Mrs. Mathis is active in civic and local affairs. She is a member of the Miles Scriviner Unit #454 American Legion Auxiliary where she served as President in 1946-47 and Treasurer for 6 years; Chairman of Girls State for 6 years; has served on various other committees of the American Legion Auxiliary both local and district committees; is Past President of the 6th District American Legion Auxiliary; served on District Committees of the Parent-Teacher Association; a member of the Hearne Band Parents Association and served as Uniform Chairman; served as Local Chairman for the American Heart Drive. During 1949-53 she helped to organize and served as General Chairman of Girl Scouts and Brownie Troops. She is a member of the Disaster Committee for Robertson County; a Communicant of St. Philips Episcopal Church; a member of the Woman's Auxiliary of St. Philips Church, and served as Church School Teacher for five years. In addition to the above, she has served as Secretary for the Democratic Party of Precinct No. 2, Robertson County.
was born at Decatur, Alabama, August 29, 1836 and was married to Louisa
Garrett, July 11, 1865 in Dayton, Alabama.
Dr. Matkin died in Terrell, Texas, May 12, 1895.
Mrs. Matkin died January 13, 1918 in Houston, Texas.
Dr. and Mrs. Matkin had ten children; three of them died at birth. The children were: Charles T. Matkin, born in Alabama, May 23, 1866; George C. Matkin, born at Dayton, Alabama, November 21, 1867; Ada Gordon Matkin, born in Hearne, Texas, November 26, 1870; Marion Morrison Matkin, born in Hearne, Texas, October 12, 1872; Lydia I. Matkin, born in Hearne, Texas, January 14, 1874; Louise Olivia Matkin, born in Hearne, Texas, June 27, 1876; and John Moseley Matkin, born in Hearne, Texas, January 1, 1877.
In 1868, Dr. Matkin with his wife and sons Charles and George moved from Alabama to Hearne, Texas to make their home. The Matkin family had lost everything they possessed when the Northern forces and carpet-baggers took over Alabama. The family started to California by wagon train. When they arrived in Hearne, Texas they found James F. Exum who Dr. Matkin had cared for when Mr. Exum had been wounded and left for dead. Mr. Exum had given Dr. Matkin a Prayer Book and a shoe lacer and asked him to try and get these articles back to his family as he thought he was dying. Mr. Exum was instrumental in getting the Matkin family to settle in Hearne, and also helped Dr. Matkin in the establishment of his practice in Hearne.
Dr. Matkin served in the Confederate Army under Pat Clayburn in the Fifteenth Arkansas Infantry as doctor and surgeon. He was captured in 1864 but escaped and returned to Alabama and rejoined the Southern forces a few months before the Civil War ended. While he was a captive of the North he served as a doctor aboard a Northern hospital ship and had a very interesting experience. A Northern woman who was visiting the wounded soldiers aboard the hospital ship was wearing a Masonic pin and Dr. Matkin gave her the Masonic distress signal and she helped him escape, furnishing him a slave, a horse, and a Yankee uniform in addition to forged safe conduct papers.
Dr. Matkin along with his father-in-law Dr. C. C. Garrett was very active in Masonic circles, Dr. Garrett having helped to initiate the Scottish Rites Degree in Texas. His picture hangs in the Scottish Rite Cathedral in Galveston. Dr. Garrett burned to death in Calvert, Texas when the building in which he had his office burned. No trace of him was ever found.
Dr. Matkin's death was caused by a blow on his head, struck from behind by a man who wanted to "borrow" his horse. When Dr. Matkin refused, the man slipped up behind him and struck him on the head. Dr. Matkin's skull was fractured and he never recovered his health after the incident. A tale following this incident says that young Dr. Matkin traced his father's assailant to Mexico and years later a message was received by the Matkin family reading - ---------------- is now shoveling coal in H --------- signed, your loving son, George. Dr. George Matkin served in Hotel Dieu Hospital in Beaumont, Texas where he died in 1905.
Dr. Matkin's other son Charles was at one time Assistant Chief of Police at Fort Worth, Texas and died in 1932. His daughter, Louise Olivia was married to James Herman Ragland in Ennis, Texas and their son Herman Matkin Ragland was born in Waxahachie, Texas Dr. Marion Matkin served as physician and surgeon for the H. & T. C. Railroad for a number of years and also owned and operated a drug store in Hearne.
ROBERT MARION SR. was born
at Ashland, Mississippi, March 27, 1866, the son of John W. McCarver
and Melvina Chester McCarver, pioneers of the State of Mississippi.
He attended the country school in Ashland and worked on his father's farm during his boyhood days. When he was a young man, he left his home in Mississippi and went to Nashville, Tennessee where he was employed operating a horse-drawn street car.
In 1884 he came to Texas to join two older brothers, James H. McCarver and John H. McCarver, who had already established themselves on a farm near Salado, Texas. He was employed for a short time with his brothers then went to Palestine, Texas where he worked in a printing shop.
Later on he was employed by the San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad Company and the I. & G. N. Railroad Company where he worked first as a section hand, extra gang foreman, bridge gang foreman and section foreman, following the type of work that many of Irish extraction followed during the days that railroading was in its infancy in Texas.
On December 25, 1890, he was married to Miss Centennia Barnhouse, daughter of William Barnhouse and Christine Wheeler Barnhouse, who was born at McGregor, Iowa, March 29, 1876. Mrs. McCarver came to Hearne, Texas with her family in September, 1876 when she was only six months old, her father having been a village school teacher, store owner, and farmer in Iowa. Mrs. McCarver's family lived in Hearne at the old Lallier Hotel for six months during 1876-77, while their new home in Milam County was being built. When the new home was finally completed and the family situated in Texas, Mrs. McCarver's father cleared his farm land of timber and sold the wood to the I. & G. N. Railroad Company for fuel to fire the boilers on the locomotives.
Mr. and Mrs. McCarver were married at the old Barnhouse home located between Gause and Milamo, the old homestead site now being the location of a state roadside park.
Mr. McCarver was employed in railroad work for over thirty years, being promoted to the job of Roadmaster for the I. & G. N. Railroad Company to become effective January 1, 1919. However, while serving in the duties of Roadmaster he was killed in a train wreck between Elliott and Franklin, December 28, 1918.
He was a member of the Masonic Lodge, served as Deacon in the First Baptist Church, and taught the men's Bible Class for many years.
Mrs. McCarver was also an active member of the First Baptist Church for many years until her health failed. Mrs. McCarver passed away March 7, 1944 at the family home on Cedar Street.
Children of Mr. and Mrs. McCarver: Rosa McCarver, Kate McCarver Davis, Pearl McCarver Brennan, Lillian McCarver, Robert M. McCarver, Lois McCarver Robbins, William David McCarver, Norman Lowell McCarver, John W. McCarver, and Mavis McCarver Knapp.
son of James David McCollum and Ida Garrett McCollum, pioneer citizens
McLellan County, Texas, was born January 11, 1902 at Crawford, Texas.
His early childhood was spent at the family home in Crawford where he attended grade school. He completed his high school education at San Marcos Baptist Academy where he was graduated with the Class of 1921. Mr. McCollum attended Austin College from 1921 through 1924 and played baseball and football at this school.
After completing his college education, he moved to Houston, Texas in 1924 and was employed by the Crown Central Petroleum Corporation. He worked for this firm until December 1928 at which time he accepted employment with the Humble Oil & Refining Company.
He was married to Miss Aba McMordie of Perry, Texas in 1927 at Waco, Texas. Mr. and Mrs. McCollum have three children: Lt. Colonel Jack F McCollum, Claudia McCollum Ramsay, and Virginia McCollum Sone.
In 1930 Mr. McCollum and his family moved to Hearne where he continued his connection with Humble Oil & Refining Company as wholesale agent. In 1940 he purchased and took over the active management of the Citizens Ice Company.
He has been one of Hearne's most active citizens having served as President of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce as well as a director of this organization for many years. In connection with his work with the Chamber of Commerce, he has served on the Highway and Industrial Committees and has been very instrumental in securing the construction of many of the major highways in the Hearne and Robertson County area. In 1942, after the outbreak of World War II, he worked diligently with all concerned in obtaining the construction of the Hearne Prisoner of War Camp. It was also largely through his efforts that the General American Transportation Corporation plant was built in Hearne.
In 1940 he affiliated with the Southwestern Ice Manufacturer's Association which embraces the states of Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma and he has served as a member of the Technical Committee for this organization. In 1957 he was elected to serve on the Board of Directors of the Southwestern Ice Manufacturer's Association.
Both Mr. and Mrs. McCollum are active members of Grace Methodist Church of Hearne; Mr. McCollum having served on the Board of Stewards since 1936.
He is a Past President of the Hearne Rotary Club, served as a member of the Hearne City Council, is a Director of the Camp Creek Water Company, and Chairman of the Hearne Housing Authority.
Oscar Horace McCollum has been most active in the business, civic and social life of Hearne and has worked hard for the industrial expansion of Hearne and Robertson County.
was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, November 19, 1896, the son of William
McCorry and Minnie Emory McCorry.
He attended public school and parochial school in Chillicothe, Ohio and after finishing his schooling he went to work in a shoe factory in that city. Later he worked at bench moulding work in Springfield, Ohio for the Metalic Casket Company.
In 1923 he moved to Rockdale, Texas and worked in a shoemaker shop owned by W. A. Schubert and in 1926 he purchased this shop and operated it for himself.
In 19'34 he purchased a shoe shop in Hearne from E. A. Holick, this shop being located on Magnolia Street. He continued his ownership of the shop in Rockdale but moved to Hearne in 1934 to make his home and operate his shop here.
He was married to Miss Aline Catchings, daughter of Alvin B. Catchings and Beulah Moore Catchings of Rockdale, Texas, February 14, 1926. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. McCorry: Lorraine McCorry Bailey, John W. McCorry Jr., and Ruth McCorry Carter.
The McCorry family belongs to the Baptist Church and Mr. McCorry is a member of the Rockdale Masonic Lodge, a former member of the Knights of Pythias, a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce, and he organized and served as the first President of the Robertson County Gun Club in 1956.
McLEROY, WOODROW WILSON, son of James M. McLeroy and
Elizabeth Jane Eaton McLeroy, was born at Cobb Prairie in Robertson County,
Texas, December 1, 1888. His father was born in Mississippi in 1836 and
his mother was born in the eastern part of Robertson County, Texas in 1854.
He attended the rural schools in his home community and later attended the public school in Franklin, Texas. During his boyhood and early manhood he lived on the family farm and learned farming from his father.
In 1927 he moved to Franklin, Texas where he continued his farming and also did carpenter work in that area.
In October 1928, with his family he moved to Hearne, Texas to make his home. He continued his profession of contracting and carpenter work.
Woodrow Wilson McLeroy and Pearl Irene Melton were married December 19, 1907. Mrs. McElroy's parents were Hatch Hiram Melton who was born in Mississippi in 1865, and Mary Chenoweth Melton, who was born in Texas in 1872.
Three children were born to Woodrow Wilson McLeroy and Pearl Irene Melton McLeroy: Donald M. McLeroy who married Maurine Self, daughter of Luther Talmadge Self and Minnie Bell Peel Self; Ozell McLeroy Thibedeaux; and Walter Weldon McLeroy.
Woodrow Wilson McLeroy and Pearl Irene Melton McLeroy are members of the Baptist Church and he is a former member of the Woodmen of the World.
In 1942, Mr. and Mrs. McLeroy purchased the old Frankie Armstrong and Selby Hearne Beverley home located on the corner of Magnolia and Davis Streets in Hearne. This home is the oldest building standing in Hearne in 1958. This building was built in the late 1860's and was then located on the corner of Barton and Post Oak Streets and was used as the first Union Church building in Hearne. When the I. & G. N. Railroad came to Hearne in the early 1870's, this building was moved to its present site when the Hearne business district shifted from south Hearne.
was born at Elliott, Texas, October 8, 1877, the son of Mr. and Mrs.
McNeel. He was a veteran of the
Spanish-American War, and most of his life was spent in Robertson
He was associated with the Rural Electrification Administration in the signing of right-of-way over Robertson and adjoining counties and was also the reporter for cotton production and other government jobs.
Following are the children of Albert W. McNeel: Alice Frances McNeel Goodwin, Mavis McNeel Jennings, and Lorraine McNeel Jackson.
Albert W. McNeel died September 14, 1957.
son of Marion Matkin McNeel and Carolyn Reinhardt McNeel, was born in
Texas, January 12, 1912. He has
carried the nickname of "Bully" since his youth; this also being the
nickname of his father.
He attended Hearne Public Schools and was graduated from Hearne High School with the Class of 1929. Upon graduation he went to work at a filling station for one year. In 1930 he was employed by the Humble Oil & Refining Company and left this employment to accept a position with D. R. Adkisson & Co. Cotton Buyers.
In January 1937 he became associated with H. P. Culpepper Enterprises and later became auditor for the Culpepper interest in Hearne. He is also manager of the Hearne jewelry Store and is a self-taught accountant.
He was maried to Miss Virginia Looney of Branchville, Texas, July 12, 1936, the wedding being performed at Centerville, Texas. Mr. and Mrs. McNeel have one child, a daughter, Edwina McNeel Brewer.
Mr. AIcNeel became a member of the Hearne Rotary Club in 1945 and is a Past President of that organization. He is a 32nd Degree Mason and is affiliated with Golden Rule Masonic Lodge of Hearne where he has served as Worshipful Master. He is a member of the 13th Degree team in Scottish Rite Masonic work at Austin and is also a Past Patron of the local Eastern Star.
His religious affiliation is with the First Baptist Church of Hearne where he has served as Church Treasurer and Superintendent of the Sunday School. In 1958 he became a Director of the First State Bank.
During his high school days, he was a member of the Hearne High School Eagles football team, track team and basketball team.
the son of Mr. and Mrs. Tynus W. McNeel, was born at Elliott in
County, Texas, July 20, 1883. His
parents were pioneer citizens of the Hearne community.
He received his education in the country school at Elliott and later attended the Hearne public schools. During his boyhood, he lived and worked on the family farm at Elliott.
He was married to Miss Carrie Reinhardt, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wiley Reinhardt, August 17, 1909. Mrs. McNeel was born in 1891 in Temple, Texas. Children born to Mr. and Mrs. McNeel were: Maurice Malcolm McNeel, Edwin Marion McNeel, and Randle Meredith McNeel.
In his early manhood, Mr. McNeel went to work for the I. & G. N. Railroad Company at Elliott and the majority of his life was spent in railroad work. After serving various railroads in Texas, he came to Hearne in 1915 where he worked as chief clerk for the H. & T. C. Railroad until 1923 when with his family he moved to Calvert as cashier for the same railroad there.
In 1925 he returned to Hearne as cashier of the Southern Pacific Railroad and held that position until the time of his death on May 11, 1950.
He was a Deacon in the First Baptist Church of Hearne for many years and also served as Church Treasurer. He was very fond of boys and young children and always supported any program for the benefit of the Youth of Hearne.
W. A. "Unk",
the son of Mr. and Mrs. Tynus W. McNeel, was born at Hearne, Texas,
1892. He attended school in the
Elliott community and worked on the family farm when he was a boy.
He later was an employee for the Southern Pacific Railroad Company and was active in civic and boy scout work for many years. A veteran of World War I with overseas duty, he was instrumental in organizing the Miles Scriviner Post of the American Legion in Hearne, and served as Commander of this post.
He started his scouting work in Hearne in 1919 soon after returning from World War I when the Hearne Scouts came directly under the New York office. Since that time he served in all capacities in scout work in Hearne.
He was honored as a life member of the Cub Scouts in ceremonies in Hearne in 1952 and was presented a gold pin by the Sam Houston Area Council in recognition of his 33 years of outstanding service in the scouting movement. He also served as a Member-atlarge in the Sam Houston Area Council up to the time of his death.
During his entire life he maintained a close relationship with hundreds of the boys who had gone through the scouting program in Hearne and was always greatly interested in the activities of all phases of scouting in this area. His unselfish service in molding character in the youth of this community won for him the admiration of the entire citizenry.
He was married to Miss Lillian Lawrence, a Hearne school teacher, and Mr. and Mrs. McNeel had one son, Tynus W. McNeel.
During the last years of his life, "Unk" McNeel continued to be a leader of boys, and although he was not active in scouting work in his later years, he remained in close touch with the boys and the scouting activities of this area. He was often quoted as saying, "There is no such thing as a juvenile delinquent." When it was pointed out that some boys were "tough customers" he would reply, "In many cases like that the parents have not taken the time to train the boys." All of his work with boys was done without a single penny for pay but was done for his great love for them, these boys tagging him with the name of "Unk."
"Unk" McNeel passed on to his reward November 10, 1952, ending a great life of service to his country, community and to many hundreds of boys that will always remember him as a great friend.
McPHAIL, IRVIN DANIEL,
son of Hugh Daniel McPhail and Ida Lee
Forbes McPhail, as born in Richmond, Texas, December 27, 1895.
His father was an early pioneer from Mississippi and his mother was
born in Lee County, Texas.
In 1901 he moved to Easterly, Texas and later attended the Franklin public school. Upon completing his schooling he went to work in the R. M. Duffey Drug Store in Franklin in 1913 and worked for this firm until lie enlisted in the U. S. Army in 1917. He served with the 36th Division Signal Corps and saw over seas service in France during World War I.
He received his discharge from military service June 19, 1919 and returned to his job with the R. M. Duffey Drug Store in Franklin, Texas. In 1921 he was appointed Deputy Sheriff under Sheriff Will E. Thompson, Robertson County, Texas. He became an expert in finger print work and was able to solve a number of crimes in Robertson County.
In 1923 lie accepted employment with the James B. Truett Dry Goods Company in Franklin and worked in this position until he established a retail grocery business for himself in Franklin. He owned and operated this business until 1938 and then went to work for the Holland Motor Company of Franklin. In 1941, after the outbreak of World War II, he accepted employment with the Humble Pipe Line Company of Hearne as security officer for the company's Hearne plant.
Late in 1943 he went to work for the Hamilton Dry Goods Company in Hearne and in 1944 he worked in the utilities department of the Hearne Prisoner of War Camp. During 1945 he served as Game Warden for the Hearne and Robertson County area. In the latter part of 1945 he was a salesman for the Lawrence Grocery Company and worked in the Robertson and Milam County area. In 1950 he went to work for the Kimbell Wholesale Grocery Company and later was a salesman for Anderson & Barton Wholesale Grocery Company of Calvert.
On September 15, 1952 he accepted employment as Parking Meter Patrolman for the City of Hearne.
He married Miss Lucile Scott, daughter of Arthur M. Scott and Maude Rogers Scott, February 21, 1920 at Franklin, Texas. Mrs. McPhail's parents were Robertson County pioneers. A daughter, Juanita McPhail, was born to Mr. and Mrs. McPhail. Juanita McPhail married Austin C. Ricketson. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Ricketson; a daughter, Suzanne Ricketson; and a son, Mark Ricketson.
Irvin David McPhail is Past Master of the Franklin Masonic Lodge, a member of Golden Rule Masonic Lodge of Hearne, and a member of the First Baptist Church where he has served as President of the Men's Sunday School class. Mrs. McPhail has been a music teacher since 1919 and she is a member of the Hearne Garden Club Past Worthy Matron of the Franklin Order of the Eastern Star, and a member of the Hearne Order of the Eastern Star.
REVEREND WARREN FRANKLIN,
son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Merritt, was born in Scituate, Massachusetts,
5, 1893. His father was Chief Civil
Engineer for the Santa Fe Railroad. The
Merritt family moved to Texas in 1899.
He attended school at Galveston and was graduated from Ball High School in that city on Friday, June 13, 1913 and there were 13 boys in the class. He then enrolled in Tufts College at Medford, Massachusetts and received his B. S. Degree in Civil Engineering in 1917. During World War I he served with the U. S. Engineers from October 1917 until August 1919. Shortly after his discharge from military duties, he went to work for the Santa Fe Railroad and during the course of the years was an engineer concentrating on construction, locations, designs, etc. Most of his years with the railroad were spent in Dallas, Temple, Cleburne, and Galveston.
Always active in his church, he resigned from the railroad October 31, 1951 to study for the ministry. The Rt. Reverend Clinton S. Quin, Bishop of the Diocese of Texas, ordained him a Deacon at Trinity Episcopal Church in Galveston, April 4, 1952. He was ordained to the Priesthood at St. Philips Episcopal Church in Hearne, Texas, July 3, 1953 by the Rt. Reverend John E. Hines, Bishop-Co-Adjutor of the Diocese of Texas. Mr. Merritt became the Vicar of St. Philips Episcopal Church of Hearne, Texas and Epiphany Church of Calvert at the age of 58 years after 32 continuous years of service with the Santa Fe Railroad Company. He held his first service in Hearne at St. Philips Church on the second Sunday in May 1952.
He was married to Miss Mildred Hay of Salem, Massachusetts, November 27, 1917 and two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Merritt; Lois Merritt Odell and Warren Franklin Merritt Jr.
Mr. Merritt has always been interested in school and civic affairs and served as a member of the Galveston School Board for seven years. He is a member and former Director of the Hearne Rotary Club; is a 33rd Degree Mason with all of his Masonic membership in Galveston; is Past Grand High Priest of Royal Arch Masons of Texas and traveled over 30,000 miles throughout Texas while serving in this office; is Past Grand Master of the Grand Council of Texas; Past Presiding Officer of all York and Scottish Rite bodies of Galveston; Past Presiding Officer of the Galveston Conclave of the Red Cross of Constantine; and served on Masonic Committees of the Grand Lodge, Grand Council and Grand Chapter of Texas.
MILLER, CONARD CULBERSON, son of James Norman Miller and Cora McClure
Miller, was born August 27, 1896 at Bald Prairie, Texas. He attended the
rural schools of Cold Branch, Bald Prairie, and New Baden in Robertson County.
After finishing his schooling he farmed in the eastern part of Robertson County and also did carpenter work. He later was employed with a bridge gang of the I. & G. N. Railroad and also served as a water station pump operator for this railroad.
In September 1938 with his family he moved to Hearne, Texas and farmed for several years.
He was married to Olga Ann Reichert, daughter of George Carl Reichert and Annie Hiltpolt Reichert, May 30, 1914 at Franklin, Texas. Eight children were born to Conard Culberson Miller and Olga Ann Reichert Miller: Marguerite Miller Wilkins, Maurice Miller Cude, Edwin Miller, Clara Marie Miller Sharp, Thomas C. Miller, Frances Miller McCarver, J. C. Miller, and Charles Miller. Edwin C. Miller married Connie Fleetwood; Thomas C. Miller married Evelyn Melton; J. C. Miller married Martha Jo Melton; and Charles Miller married Judy Middleton.
Conard Culberson Miller is a member of the Church of Christ and Olga Ann Reichert Miller is a member of the First Baptist Church.
RANDLE W. was born in Austin, Texas but moved to Hearne, Texas when he was
a small boy and
attended the public schools of Hearne and later attended Bingham
College in North Carolina.
After finishing his education he took his place in the business life of Hearne when he established one of the very first automobile agencies in Hearne and Robertson County. He owned and operated this business in Hearne for many years. He was honored by the citizens of Hearne by being elected to serve on the Hearne City Council when he was a young man. He was also a very active member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce and other civic organizations of Hearne.
He was married to Miss Katherine Tolbert of Calvert, Texas in December 1916 and two daughters were born to Mr. and Mrs. Miller: Marjorie Miller Brashear and Katherine Miller Young.
In 1920 Mr. and Mrs. Miller moved to Bartlett, Texas where Mr. Miller continued in the automobile business. He was elected to the office of Mayor of Bartlett and under his administration the Bartlett Municipal Electric Power Plant was built.
In 1944 he became General Manager of the Brazos Electric Cooperative Inc. with his office being located at Waco, Texas. Under his management this electric power system has experienced great growth.
His brother, Monroe Miller, was also reared in Hearne and was married to Miss Hazel Wood, daughter of Charles Glove Wood and Aurie Adkins Wood, November 17, 1913. Hazel Wood Miller was born February 22, 1891 and died May 10, 1957. Monroe Miller died January 1, 1945. Both are buried in Norwood Cemetery in Hearne.
JOSEPH SAMUEL was born in Cobb County, Georgia, December 26, 1844.
He served in the Civil War under Nathan B. Forest in the Confederate Army and came to Hearne in the early 1880's to make his home. A cotton gin located on the corner of Magnolia and Evans Streets was owned and operated by Mr. Montgomery. A grist mill was also located at this location by Mr. Montgomery and this establishment did a flourishing business at this location for many years.
On November 20, 1883 he was married to Miss Mary Louise Hostrasser who was born in Fayette, Mississippi, February 9, 1861 and was a member of a pioneer Hearne family, having moved to Hearne in 1870. Mr. and Mrs. Montgomery had two children; a son, Joseph Samuel Montgomery Jr. and a daughter, Mamie Montgomery Ballinger. Joseph Samuel Montgomery Jr. moved to Brazoria, Texas where he became the president of a bank.
Joseph Samuel Montgomery and Mary Louise Hostrasser Montgomery were the grandparents of Dr. Richard H. Ballinger and Captain Montgomery Ballinger of the U. S. Navy who were sons of Richard Henry Ballinger and Mamie Montgomery Ballinger.
Mamie Montgomery Ballinger was married to Richard Henry Ballinger on November 20, 1911. Mr. Ballinger was cashier of the Farmers & Merchants State Bank of Kaufman, Texas and died January 17, 1919 during the Influenza epidemic. Mrs. Ballinger, with her two small sons, moved back to Hearne where she began a school teaching career in the Hearne Public School System that lasted for 27 years, Mrs. Ballinger retiring in 1945.
JUDGE JOHN E.
was born on a farm between Wheelock and Franklin in Robertson County,
August 29, 1875, the son of Thomas Mooney and Mary Threadgill Mooney.
His father was a native Texan but his mother was born in Alabama.
During his boyhood and young manhood he lived on his father's farm and assisted with the farm work. He attended a country school in that area.
On February 7, 1904, he was married to Miss Clara Wallace, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Wallace, the marriage taking place at the Henry Prairie Baptist Church. Mr. Mooney was born at Alexander Community in Brazos County, Texas.
In 1907 Mr. and Mrs. Mooney moved to Wheelock where he entered the mercantile business, opening a grocery and dry goods store.
In April 1916, Judge and Mrs. Mooney moved to Hearne where lie entered the grocery and dry goods business, his store being located on the corner of Third and Magnolia Streets where the Post Office Building now stands. He operated his business at this location for several years and then moved to another location on Magnolia Street. In 1926 he retired from the grocery business and opened a blacksmith shop on the corner of Cedar and Third Streets.
In 1928 he was elected to the office of justice of the Peace for Precinct Number Two of Robertson County. He continued to operate his blacksmith shop and carry on the duties of justice of the Peace at the same location. Judge Mooney is one of Hearne's most colorful characters and since his election in 1928 he has meted out "Justice before the Anvil" as well as performed many wedding ceremonies before the "Anvil." He is very friendly and has a host of friends in all walks of life.
Judge and Mrs. Mooney have seven children: Brady Mooney, Lola Mooney Whitacre, John B. Mooney, Esther Mooney Lloyd, Leta Mooney Bush, Tommy Mooney, and Mary Lee Mooney Myers.
son of Samuel Allen Moore and Maude Welborn Moore, was born at
August 31, 1909.
At an early age, he moved to Leon County with his parents and he attended a country school in the Long Hollow community of that county.
He was reared on a farm and shot squirrels and sold them in town, using the money he received to purchase his first barber tools, becoming a "stump" barber at the age of 11 years.
On May 8, 1927 he moved in from the country to Marquez, Texas and began barbering professionally at one of the shops of that town. This employment continued for two years and on May 8, 1929 he moved to Hearne to continue his profession as a commission barber.
He was married to Miss Polly Barnes of Franklin, Texas, December 16, 1934. Mr. and Mrs. Moore have a son, Cayce Moore Jr., who was born February 24, 1942.
After working nine years as a commission barber, on October 1, 1938 he bought a barber shop of his own and located this business on Fourth Street in Hearne.
Cayce's real talent was not to make its appearance until he entered the columnist field in 1940. He wrote a humor column for the Hearne Democrat that was widely read.
In 1949 he stopped writing this column and entered the after dinner speaking profession. He was in demand in this profession from the beginning and hit the "big time" September 12, 1950 when he spoke to the Texas Vegetable & Citrus Growers & Shippers Convention at the Shamrock Hotel in Houston, Texas. His rise in the after dinner speaking field was phenomenal from this point and he has since appeared on state, national and international convention programs.
In the July 3, 1954 issue of the Saturday Evening Post, in an article and four page spread entitled "What A Line This Barber Has," George Sessions Perry proclaimed Cayce as "the Nations Most Famous Barber." On numerous occasions, Cayce's career has been featured in large daily newspapers and Sunday magazine sections.
In 1953 Cayce became a member of the speaking staff of the Knife and Fork Club.
On the local level, he has served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce, is a Rotarian and has served on the Board of Directors of this organization, is a member of the Board of Stewards of Grace Methodist Church, and has assisted with the various athletic programs in Hearne.
Cayce Moore is one of the most widely known citizens of Hearne.
JOHN H. was born in Robertson County, Texas, March 10 1870 and was the
son of Mr. and
Mrs. Hartwell Moss, pioneer citizens of the Hearne community.
He lived in Hearne and Robertson County all of his life.
During his early manhood he became a cotton farmer in the Brazos Bottom and continued to be in the cotton business until 1925. In 1925 and 1926 he served the citizens of this Precinct as Public Weigher at the Hearne Compress.
He was elected County Commissioner of Precinct Number 2 in 1928 and continued to serve in this capacity up to the time of his death.
On July 16, 1893 he was married to Miss Adda E. Mathews, who was also a lifelong resident of Hearne. Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Moss: John H. Moss Jr., Roy L. Moss, Paul Moss, Robert H. Moss, Ruth Moss Burney, and Berta Moss Renfro.
Mr. and Mrs. Moss were pioneer citizens of Hearne and both were active in the civic and church life of Hearne for many years. Mr. Moss died December 31, 1940 and Mrs. Moss died October 1, 1955.
MARCUS, son of Walter Thomas Mounts and Irena Dell McCoy Mounts,
was born at Ennis, Texas, February 7, 1909. He mother and father
were pioneers from Mississippi. During his residence in Ellis
County, Texas, Samuel Marcus Mounts attended school at Bardwell and
Ensign. He later attended Hearne High School.
In 1927, he moved to Hearne, Texas. On August 1, 1928, he went to work for the Southern Pacific Railroad Company at Hearne as a caller and worked on this job for eleven years. On September 3, 1939, he became a switchman for this railroad and worked in the Hearne yards.
He enlisted in the U.S. Army March 3, 1944 and served in the European Theater of Operations with the 734 Battalion (Railroad) during World War II. He received his discharge from military service April 13, 1946. He returned to Hearne and worked for the Southern Pacific Railroad Company as Yardmaster until 1951 when he went back to his job as switchman in the Hearne yards.
Samuel Marcus Mounts married Mozelle Elizabeth Cox, daughter of Elmer J. Cox and Lois Hyden Cox of Jewett, Texas, April 4, 1936. The marriage was performed at Hearne, Texas. Her parents were natives of Jewett in Leon County, Texas. Mozelle Elizabeth Cox Mounts attended the public schools of Jewett. During World War II, she was employed by the Guiberson Company of Dallas and the Rheams Company of New Orleans, Louisiana. Later, she was employed by the Easterwood Insurance Agency and the Culpepper Hardware & Furniture Company of Hearne. She accepted employment in a secretarial capacity for the General American Transportation Corporation of Hearne and in 1958 is served as chief clerk to the superintendent of this corporation.
Samuel Marcus Mounts and Mozelle Elizabeth Cox Mounts are members of the First Baptist Church of Hearne. She is active in the Woman's Missionary Union and he is active in the Baptist Brotherhood. He is a member of the Switchmen's Union of North America.
MULDROW, JACK VICTOR, son of Claude Clifford Muldrow and Mae
Belle Breedlove Muldrow, was born January 3, 1916 at Clarita,
Oklahoma. He attended school at Achille, Oklahoma and graduated
from Achille High School with the Class of 1933.
After completing high school he attended Southwest State College at Durant, Oklahoma, the University of Houston, and North Texas State College. He received his B. A. Degree from Southeast State College in 1938 and his Master of Education Degree from the University of Oklahoma in 1948. While attending college he was a member of Kappa Delta Pi, Phi Delta Kappa, and Red Red Rose.
From 1938 through 1940 he taught school in Oklahoma and in 1941 and 1942 he worked at Dallas, Texas for the North American Company in a defense plant. In 1942 he enlisted in the U. S. Merchant Marines and in 1944 he served in the U. S. Army during World War II and received his discharge in 1947. From 1947 to 1949 he taught school at LaMarque, Texas, and in 1949 he was junior High School Principal at Haskell, Texas. In 1950 to 1952 he served as high school principal at San Augustine, Texas. He spent 1952-53 attending North Texas State College working on his Doctor of Education degree. In 1953 he was elected high school principal at Hearne, Texas and moved to Hearne August 1, 1953.
He was married to Billie Ruth Price, daughter of Alonzo V. Price and Leona Tucker Price, at Edinburg, Texas, June 4, 1954. Billie Ruth Price Muldrow attended elementary school at Fulbright, Texas and was graduated from Fulbright High School. She attended North Texas State Teachers College at Denton, Texas and received her B. A. Degree from this school. She later attended the University of Oklahoma and received her Master of Education Degree.
Jack Victor Muldrow is a member of the Church of Christ; a member of the Hearne Rotary Club; a member of the Hearne Quarterback Club; a member of the Texas State Teachers Association; a member of the Secondary School Principals Association; a member of the Masonic Lodge; and a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
MULLINS, FRANCIS CLINT, was born November
26, 1893 at Easterly, Texas, the son of Frances Mullins and Cevilla
Welborn Mullins. He attended the Gourd Neck and Navasota rural
schools in Robertson County. During his boyhood, he lived on the
family farm and farmed with his father. In 1912, he began farming
on his own near Easterly.
He moved to Hearne, Texas in 1914 and worked for the Industrial Cotton Oil Company. Later, he moved back to Easterly to farm.
On November 23, 1926, he was employed by the Humble Pipe Line Company and worked for six months on construction work at Hearne. On October 1, 1928, he was made head stock gauger for this company and worked in this position until 1943 when he became an oiler at the Humble pump station in Hearne. In 1948, he transferred to the Humble Products station at Hearne and retired October 14, 1956 after serving nearly 30 years with the Humble Company.
Francis Clint Mullins married Sarah Elizabeth Cobb, daughter of James W. Cobb and Sarah Smith Cobb, of Easterly, Texas, January 14, 1912. The father of Sarah Smith Cobb fought with the Confederate Army during the Civil War and died enroute home after the war was over. The following children were born to Francis Clint Mullins and Sarah Elizabeth Cobb Mullins: James Francis Mullins, Gladys Mae Mullins, Marvin Alfred Mullins, G. W. Mullins, Mary Ruby Mullins, Bessie Elizabeth Mullins, Furman Clint Mullins, Cleo Viola Mullins, Grace Lois Mullins, Darrell Lee Mullins, Altha Faye Mullins, Betty Edna Mullins, and Kenneth Wayne Mullins.
Francis Clint Mullins is a member of the Church of Christ; a member and former Junior Deacon of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge No. 361 of Hearne; a member of the Order of the Eastern Star; a member of the Humble Employees Federation; and a former member of the Woodmen of the World. Sarah Elizabeth Cobb Mullins is a member of the Baptist Church and a member of the Order of the Eastern Star.
the son of John Wesley Murphy and Virginia Matlock Murphy, was born at
Russellville, Alabama, March 27, 1882.
He was reared on his parent's farm in Russellville where cotton was the main crop. He attended the country school in that area, and came to Texas in 1895 and farmed near Cameron in Milam County.
In 1904 he was married to Miss Alice Virginia Meadows at Milano, Texas. From 1910 to 1914 he worked for the I. & G. N. Railroad Company and lived at Marquez, Texas and moved to Hearne in 1912 and continued his employment with the I. & G. N. Railroad.
In 1914 he went to work for the H. & T. C. Railroad as a section hand and worked up to section foreman and finally was promoted to Roadmaster, retiring from active duty in 1946.
Children born to Mr. and Mrs. Murphy were: Edna Murphy, Edith Murphy, Nannie Murphy, John W. Murphy, George Murphy, Lena Murphy, Herman Murphy, Lonnie Murphy, Flonnic Murphy, and Mike Murphy Jr.
Mr. Murphy's first wife died in June 1934 and in February 1946 he was married to Mrs. Nora Swizel Daniels.
Mike Murphy was in charge of railroad maintenance work and spent 27 years working in the Hearne Yards of the Southern Pacific and H. & T. C. Railroad. He is typical of the many employees of Irish descent that have put in many years of service with our railroads.
At the time of his retirement in 1946, he had nearly 47 years of railroad service to his credit.
Page Modified: 15 September 2014
Copyright © 2014-present by
Copyright © 2014-present byJane Keppler. This information may be used by individuals for their own personal use, libraries and genealogical societies. Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission from Jane Keppler. If material is copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information and please email me and let me know. Neither the Site Coordinators nor the volunteers assume any responsibility for the information or material given by the contributors or for errors of fact or judgment in material that is published at this website.