TXGenWeb Robertson County Books & Master's Theses
H E A R N E O N T H E B R A Z O S
Used with permission of Norman Lowell McCarver, Jr. These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format by other organizations or individuals. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material must obtain the written consent of McCarver family relatives.
If you can help with any cemetery transcription, add tombstone photos, add your family or even add directions to ANY cemetery in Robertson County TX
Biographical Sketches - P
son of George B. Palmos and Bobbie Greer Palmos, was born at Hearne,
September 6, 1915.
He attended the Hearne Public Schools, graduating from Hearne High School with the Class of 1933. While in high school he was active in football, baseball, and track.
He entered the University of Texas in 1933 and in 1939 received his LLB Degree from the university. He then returned to Hearne and set up his office as an attorney-at-law. During World War II, he served in the U. S. Navy from 1941 until the latter part of 1945. Upon his discharge from the U. S. Navy, he formed a partnership with John R. Grace, this firm being known as Grace & Palmos, Attorneys.
He was elected to serve as County Attorney for Robertson County in 1949 and served two terms through 1952, giving up the office to devote full time to his private law practice.
He was married to Miss Billie Goodman of Franklin in Hearne, October 10, 1942. He serves on the Board of Stewards of Grace Methodist Church, is a member of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge of Hearne, a member of the Scottish Rite at Austin, is a member of the Hearne Lions Club, Past Commander of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post of Hearne, served as Vice-Commander of the 6th District of the American Legion; Director of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; serves as City Attorney for the City of Hearne; and is active in the Democratic Party on a national level.
son of George B. Palmos and Bobbie Greer Palmos, was born in Hearne,
January 6, 1920.
He attended the Hearne grade schools and Hearne High School where he was graduated with the Class of 1937. During his high school days, he was one of the most outstanding football players to ever represent the Hearne High School Eagles and he holds the all-time Hearne High School scoring record in football having scored 252 points in one season.
After completing his high school career, he enrolled in Lon Morris junior College in Jacksonville, Texas where he played football. He later attended Baylor University in Waco.
He entered the U. S. Navy and on December 7, 1941 he was at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese struck. He served for over four years in the U. S. Navy during World War II and received his discharge in 1945.
He returned to Hearne after attending college and was employed as a bookkeeper for the Farrar Lumber Company. Later he established a freight truck agency in Hearne for the Central Freight Lines of Waco.
After his discharge from military duties he formed a partnership and established the Super Sales Store on Market Street and in 1957 relocated this business in the downtown area on Magnolia Street.
He was married to Miss Nadine Dodson, daughter of John B. Dodson and Jessie Story Dodson of Cameron, Texas, January 5, 1948. Mr. and Mrs. Palmos have four children: Carolyn Jean Palmos, Tommy Demetre Palmos, Marilyn Sue Palmos, and Jimmie Demetre Palmos.
Mr. and Mrs. Palmos are members of the Grace Methodist Church of Hearne. He is a member and past president of the Hearne Lions Club and has a perfect attendance record; a member and past commander of the American Legion; a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; and a member of the Hearne Volunteer Fire Department.
son of Vasileios Palmos and Arete Katopodis Palmos, was born at Lefkus,
May 6, 1891.
He left his home in Greece in 1910 and came to the United States, making his first stop in Chicago. Later he was in various Texas towns before locating in Taylor, Texas. From Taylor he came to Hearne in 1914 and lived in Hearne for the remainder of his life.
As a comparative stranger in a strange land, George Palmos resolved to 'make good' in these surroundings and from a si-nall beginning in Hearne in the restaurant business, he built for himself the reputation of being one of the best restaurant men in the state, at the same time winning for himself friendships among his patrons that were sincere and lasting. He was known by every railroad man in this area as well as to the general traveling public, and he had the respect and confidence of all who were ever in any way associated with him.
As a worthy citizen he occupied the position of member of the Hearne City Council, Treasurer of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge of Hearne, and a member of the Board of Stewards of the Methodist Church. He was also a former member of the Hearne Rotary Club. He was active in all civic movements and lent every possible aid and encouragement to the advancement of educational interests.
George Palmos was married to Miss Bobbie Greer, daughter of Finnis L. Greer and Alta A. Greer in 1912. The marriage took place at Georgetown, Texas. The following children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Palmos: Altie Palmos Gable, Artie Palmos Stanfield, Bill Palmos, Demetre Palmos, Paul Palmos, George Palmos Jr., and Bobbie Palmos. One son died in childhood.
Sometimes as men prosper they become selfish and close in putting out their money, but the more George Palmos prospered, the more he gave to every call and need. He liked to be called 'George' and mail from distant places addressed to just "George," Hearne, Texas always reached him. He was not anybody's "yes-man" but a man of fixed and sturdy principles, bold in whatever he believed to be fair and just, and no man ever saw him flinch in the face of danger or duty. George B. Palmos died September 21, 1937 and the community lost a great man.
PARDO, WILLIAM ROLAND, son of Louis Adrian Pardo and Cora Etchison Pardo, was born October 20, 1903 near Whitney in Hill County, Texas. His birthplace is now completely covered by Lake Whitney on the Brazos River. His father was born in Louisiana and his mother was a native of Alabama.
In 1909, his father moved to Haskell, Texas and he attended public school in that city. In 1910, he moved to Waco, Texas and attended Waco High School.
In 1921, he went to work for the Cameron Mills in Waco. Later he went to California and worked at a cement plant. He returned to Waco and for two years was a professional prize fighter and fought in the welterweight division.
In 1924, he owned and operated a trucking business in Waco. In 1929, he began farming near Waco and farmed through 1934. In 1935, he went to work for the Lone Star Gar Company in Waco and in December 1942 transferred to Hearne, Texas. He serves as Senior Foreman with the Lone Star Gas Company Pipe Line Department.
William Roland Pardo married Lucille Williamson, daughter of William Robert Williamson and Lydia Potts Williamson of Waco, Texas, December 20, 1925. Lucille Williamson Pardo was born in Indian Territoy in Oklahoma in 1904. The following children were born to William Roland Pardo and Lucille Williamson Pardo: William Roland Pardo Jr., Shirley Marie Pardo, Louis Adrian Pardo, John Robert Pardo, and Stella Louise Pardo.
William Roland Pardo and Lucille Williams Pardo are members of Grace Methodist Church of Hearne, where she served for five years as President of the Women's Society of Christian Service and is now a life member. She is also a member of the Hearne Band Parents Association and the Hearne Parent-Teacher's Association.
William Roland Pardo is a member and one of the organizers of the Robertson County Gun Club and serves this organization as Range Master. The Robertson County Gun Club was organized in 1956. He is a member of the Hearne Band Parents Association and the Hearne Parent-Teacher's Association.
son of Vasileios Palmos and Arete Katopodis Palmos, was born January
18, 1888 at
Vatheos, Meganisiou, Lefkas, Kingdom of Greece.
He received his schooling in a Greek school at Vatheos.
On April 17, 1909, when he was 21 years of age, he left his home in Greece and came to America to make his home. He landed at Ellis Island, New York and from there he went to Dekalb, Illinois where he secured employment with the American Steel Wire Company.
During the Balkan War he served in the military forces from September 14, 1912. On July 15, 1916 he entered the U. S. Army and served during World War I with the Eighth Division, 15th Regiment.
After completing his military services he returned to Dekalb, Illinois and in April 1920 he moved to Hearne to become associated with his brother, George B. Palmos, in the cafe business. Mr. Palmos is one of Hearne's best known citizens and is highly respected.
He was married to Miss Helen Cox, daughter of Sam Reed Cox and Ola Lula Davlin Cox, June 12, 1930. Mrs. Palmos was born and reared at Easterly, Texas and graduated from Franklin High School. She moved to Hearne in 1927. One child was born to Mr. and Mrs. Palmos, a daughter, Eftimea T. Palmos who married John D. Ulrey. Mr. and Mrs. Ulrey have two daughters: Palma Rene Ulrey and Johnn Rae Ulrey.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Palmos are members of Grace Methodist Church and both are active in the business and civic activities of Hearne. Mr. Palmos is a former member of the Hearne Rotary Club.
was born in Dallas County (now Bibb County) Alabama, June 24, 1833.
As a young boy he was employed in the farm duties of his family
attended elementary school.
He was graduated from medical school at Nashville, Tennessee and immediately upon finishing medical school left Alabama on horseback and rode to Texas to practice his chosen profession.
A few years after Dr. Parnell's residence in Texas, his father passed away and he made a trip to his home in Alabama to assist his mother in selling their farm land there and to make arrangements for his mother and the other members of the family to move to Texas. After these arrangements had been made, his mother and family along with their Negro slaves came to Texas and settled in Grimes County near Bedias. The family lived in the Bedias community and continued their farming interest until after the Civil War was over and the slaves were freed. His mother then sold their farm lands and moved to Calvert, Texas.
Dr. Parnell was a well educated man and very religious, being a lifelong member of the Baptist Church.
He was married to Miss Harding of Old Waverly in Waller, County, Texas. A son, Charles Walter Parnell was born to this union. Upon the death of his first wife, Dr. Parnell enlisted in the Confederate Army and served as Chaplain and Surgeon, he previously having been ordained a Baptist minister.
After the Civil War he was married to a Miss Slaton of Mansfield, Louisiana. One son, Daniel Parnell, was born to this union. His second wife passed away in 1866 after an illness of Yellow fever.
In 1869 he was married to Louise Corley, who was related to the Hearne family, for whom the town of Hearne was named. Miss Corley's home was at Montgomery, Texas.
Six sons were born to this union: Averytt John Parnell, Claude Earl Parnell, Joe Hearne Parnell, Clement Lyle Parnell, Louis Henry Parnell, and Paul E. Parnell.
While the Parnell family was living at Montgomery, Texas, in 1869 Dr. Parnell became a member of the Masonic Lodge and retained lifetime membership in this fraternal order.
In 1875 the Parnell family moved to Richmond, Texas in Fort Bend County and in addition to his medical practice, Dr. Parnell with the assistance of his wife owned and operated a newspaper, "The Four Counties," and he wrote many "hot" editorials about the Civil War and other current topics. While living in Richmond, Dr. Parnell studied law and was admitted to the practice of this profession also. The great storm of 1875 when Old Indianola was wrecked was witnessed by Dr. Parnell during his residence there. The family later moved to Patterson in Fort Bend County and here Dr. Parnell practiced medicine and preached at the "Sweet Home" Church on a gratis basis due to the fact that a regular minister was not available. He was credited with the actual building of the first pulpit in this old pioneer church.
Due to ill health in the early part of 1883, Dr. Parnell with his family moved to the Hill Country northwest of Austin and later to Calvert.
On June 19, 1883, Dr. Parnell and his family moved to Hearne where he began his medical and dentistry practice that was to continue in Hearne for the remainder of his life. The family home was located on a high hill in the eastern part of Hearne where the Henry Prairie Road comes into Hearne. Later on the family home was located on the corner of Davis and Magnolia Streets.
Along with his large medical practice in Hearne, Dr. Parnell looked after the medical needs of the inmates of four large convict labor camps in the Brazos Bottom. He also had a large medical practice in Milam County.
During his many years of practice in Hearne and vicinity, Dr. Parnell "patched up" many of the bad gunmen of this area on many occasions and was caught between a lot of these feuds as he rendered medical aid to those wounded in Hearne's early day gun fights.
Dr. Parnell did some preaching on the side in the Hearne area and owned a portable organ that his wife played at the services he conducted.
On December 18, 1889, Dr. Parnell passed to his reward leaving behind him a great record of service to his fellow man in the many fields in which he served. He was one of Hearne's most outstanding citizens of the era.
Mrs. Parnell passed away on July 16, 1919 at the family home that in 1958 is still standing, being the two-story frame home located on the corner of East Davis and San Antonio Streets. This home is also the location of Hearne's early day private school that was conducted by a Miss Pennuel.
was born in Rockwall, Texas, December 6, 1901, the son of Thomas Edward
and Addie White Parsons.
He attended school in Greenville, Texas and Granger, Texas. Upon completing his high school education in 1917 he was employed by the American Railway Express Agency at Granger until 1925. During 1925 he accepted employment with the General American Transportation Corporation and worked for this company in Wichita Falls, Longview, and Fort Worth.
In 1949 he was designated by his company to select a site for a new company plant and after looking over several locations he finally selected Hearne. Upon the completion of this new plant in Hearne he became the superintendent in charge of the entire Hearne plant.
He was married to Myrel Bradley Ferguson at Longview, Texas, May 5, 1940. Mrs. Parsons is the daughter of Arthur Ferguson and Clara Wilson Ferguson. Mr. Parsons has a son, William Edward Parsons and a daughter, Dorothy Elizabeth Parsons Norris.
Mr. and Mrs. Parsons are members of the Methodist Church. He is a member and past director of the Hearne Rotary Club; a former member of the Fort Worth Lions Club; a member and former president of the Hearne Golfer's Association; a past vice president of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; and a member of the Masonic Lodge in Fort Worth.
Through his personal efforts and work, vast improvements were made to the Municipal Golf Course during the time he served this organization as President. It was also through his decision that the General American Transportation Corporation plant was located and built at Hearne.
PAYNE, JIMMIE FRANKLIN, son of George William Payne and Annie
Leona Van Meter Payne, was born December 31, 1908 at Rotan, Texas.
His family later moved to Grand Prairie, Texas where he attended the public school. After finishing his schooling he worked for a service station in Grand Prairie and later farmed in that area. He worked for the Gifford-Hill & Company at Grand Prairie and in 1926 worked for this company at Satin, Texas.
In 1927, in partnership with L. W. Perkins, he owned and operated a sand and gravel business at Calvert, Texas. In 1930 this same partnership established the Hearne Sand & Gravel Company at Hearne, Texas. Jimmie Franklin Payne moved to Hearne, Texas in 1930 when this business was established. In 1933 he sold his interest in this business to the Waco Sand Sc Gravel Company but he continued to work for this firm.
In 1934 he accepted employment with the Humble Pipe Line Company and worked for this firm in Hearne through 1937. He also owned and operated a farm and ranching business in Hearne during these years. During the late 1930's he entered the earth moving contracting business and did most of the earth moving work in 1940-41 for the Municipal Park project for the City of Hearne.
In 1943 he entered the earth moving and tank building business at Edna, Texas and maintained a home in both Hearne and Edna. At Edna he purchased the B. G. Henry Construction Company and changed the name of the firm to Jimmie F. Payne Contractors. His company is one of the largest of this type in the Edna section.
Jimmie Franklin Payne married Lottie Carolyn Thompson, daughter of William Henry Thompson and Rosa Bell Battle Thompson of Satin, Texas, March 12, 1927 at Chilton, Texas. Lottie Carolyn Thompson Payne attended the Satin public school. A daughter, Lottie Avis Payne, was born to Jimmie Franklin Payne and Lottie Carolyn Thompson Payne. Lottie Avis Payne married John Lamar Lessor Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. John Lamar Johnson of Hearne, Texas. A son, John Lamar Lessor III and a daughter, Mary Carolyn Lessor, were born to John Lamar Lessor Jr. and Lottie Avis Payne Lessor.
Jimmie Franklin Payne and Lottie Carolyn Thompson Payne are members of Grace Methodist Church of Hearne. He is a former member of the Hearne Volunteer Fire Department; a member of the Jackson County, Texas Chamber of Commerce at Edna; a stockholder in the Planters & Merchants State Bank of Hearne; and a stockholder and Director of the First State Bank of Hearne.
son of David Bothwell Peel and Jane C. Bell Peel, was born in Macon
Alabama, December 24, 1851. He was
reared in Alabama and Mississippi, the family moving to Mississippi in
His educational advantages were restricted, his youthful years being during that unhappy period covered by the Civil War. He came to Texas at the age of 23 years in January 1875. Being without means, he came to Texas to secure a start in life for himself. A Robertson County farm was the site of his first employment in Texas. After four years of employment on this farm he moved across the Brazos River and rented a farm in Milam County, settled on this farm and began farming for himself. In 1887 he purchased the place which consisted of 600 acres. He greatly improved this place after purchasing it. This farm was just across the Brazos River at Port Sullivan and be put 300 acres into cultivation.
On September 9, 1877 he was married to Miss Rosella Hobbs, daughter of James Hobbs and Eliza Hobbs who were natives of Kentucky. Mrs. Peel was born in Milam County. Mr. and Mrs. Peel had eleven children: James Archie Peel Jr. born June 24, 1878; Eva May Peel born March 12, 1879 and died January 9, 1880; David Franklin Peel born October 15, 1880; William Stadler Peel born October 10, 1882; Tom Lee Peel born October 12, 1884; Daniel Edward Peel born October 23, 1886; Lillian Kate Peel born November 26, 1888; Minnie Bell Peel born January 18, 1891; Mabel Pauline Peel born June 2, 1893; George Howell Peel born November 28, 1896; and J. Bryan Peel born February 13, 1899.
The religious connection of the family was with the Methodist Church, in which James Archie Peel was Trustee and Steward. He also served as Sunday School Superintendent. In politics, Mr. Peel was a Democrat, and in society was a member of the Knights of Honor, holding membership in Oxenford Lodge No. 1799 at Hearne, Texas.
James Archie Peel died July 15, 1933. Mrs. Peel, who was born January 17, 1856, died November 8, 1938.
was born March 22, 1898 in McKinney, Texas, the son of Wesley Browning
and Martha Carolina Lucinda Mooney Perkins.
He attended school in McKinney and was graduated from high school in that city in 1916. After his high school education was completed, he attended the University of Texas. In 1918 he enlisted in the U. S. Army and served in France during World War I. He returned to McKinney after his discharge from military service and became a cotton and wheat farmer. He also operated a real estate business with his brother James Perkins at McKinney.
In 1920 he farmed in Deaf Smith County and continued in this location until 1923 when he accepted employment with the ListGifford Gravel & Sand Company and worked at Hutchins, Texas. In 1927 he moved to Calvert, Texas where he organized the Perkins Sand & Gravel Company at Calvert and Bufkin in Robertson County.
He moved to Hearne in 1930 where he established the Hearne Sand & Gravel Company. This company was purchased by the Texas Sand & Gravel Company in 1933 and in later years was purchased by the Gifford-Hill Company.
In 1936 in partnership with A. E. Malone, he established the Western Auto Associate Store on the corner of Magnolia and Third Streets in Hearne.
He was married to Miss Faye Belle Talkington, daughter of Lon Talkington and Laura Graves Talkington of McKinney, Texas, July 2, 1919. Two sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. Perkins: Daniel T. Perkins and James R. Perkins.
Lyman W. Perkins became a member of the McKinney Masonic Lodge at the age of twenty-one years. He is a member of the Hearne Lions Club; a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post of Hearne; a member of the Veteran of Foreign Wars; and a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce.
son of Tony Perrone and Rosie Vineza Perrone, was born in Burleson
County, Texas near Caldwell, December 10, 1910. His parents were
born in Italy. He attended the rural school at Mudville in the
In 1925, he moved to the Hearne Brazos Bottom and farmed with his father. During 1934, he purchased a farm of his own in the Brazos Bottom and farmed and ranched. In 1958, he is farming and ranching 775 acres. During 1957, he built a home in Hearne but continued his farm operations in the Brazos Bottom.
Ben Perrone married Mary Corona, daughter of Charles Corona and Dorothy Cangelosi Corona of Hearne, Texas, November 26, 1933. Mary Corona Perrone was born in Hearne, Texas and attended the Hearne Public Schools. Her parents were born in Italy and were among the very first Italian farmers to locate in Hearne.
Ben Perrone and Mary Cororona Perrone are communicants of St. Mary's Catholic Church. He is a member of the Knights of Columbus; a member of the Robertson County Farm Bureau; and a member of the Old Cotton Belt Association.
son of Mr. and Mrs. Tony Perrone pioneer farmers of the Brazos Valley,
at Bryan, Texas, January 5, 1919. The
family moved to Hearne in 1926 and reared their family in the Brazos
Peno Perrone attended school in Hearne and then worked on the family farm until 1940 when he enlisted in the U. S. Marines, serving during World War II and received his discharge in 1944. He then moved to Houston where he operated a service station until he returned to Hearne in 1946 to operate a wholesale gasoline business on the corner of First and Market Streets.
He was married to Miss Sarah Cotropia of Hearne, May 12, 1945. Mrs. Perrone also attended the public schools in Hearne and was graduated from Hearne High School. She received her college degree from Rice Institute in Houston.
Mr. and Mrs. Perrone have two children: Frank Anthony Perrone and Rosanne Perrone.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Perrone are members of St. Mary's Catholic Church. Mr. Perrone is a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce, Veterans of Foreign Wars, and the Knights of Columbus.
PERRONE, TONY JR., son of Tony Perrone Sr. & Rosie Vineza Perrone, was born October 9, 1923 in Brazos County, Texas. His father and mother were born in Italy and his father came to the United States in 1906 and his mother in 1907.
Tony Perrone Jr. attended the Hearne public schools and was graduated from Hearne High School with the Class of 1942. He was active in the Future Farmers of America organization while he attended high school.
During his boyhood days, he learned cotton farming and ranching by helping his father. In 1943, he purchased a farm in the Hearne Brazos Bottom and began farming and ranching on his own. In 1958, he is farming and ranching 500 acres in the Hearne Brazos Bottom.
Tony Perrone Jr. married Peggy Nigliazzo, daughter of Pete Nigliazzo and Fannie Roffino Nigliazzo, July 23, 1943. Her parents came to the Hearne Brazos Bottom from Louisiana. Peggy Nigliazzo Perrone attended the Mumford school and later attended Hearne High School where she was graduated with the Class of 1942.
Both Tony Perrone Jr. and his wife Peggy Nigliazzo Perrone are communicants of St. Mary's Catholic Church. He is a member of St. Mary's Catholic Men's Club and she is a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church Altar Society. Tony Perrone Jr. is a member of the Knights of Columbus; a member of the Robertson County Farm Bureau; and a member of the Old Cotton Belt Association.
JAMES GILBERT was born May 25, 1878 at Kopperl, Texas, the son of Mr. and Mrs.
Philen. He attended school at
Kopperl and later attended a Waco business college.
Following his schooling he was employed by the Santa Fe Railroad Company as station agent at various points throughout the southwest. In 1907 he made his start in the banking business as cashier of a new bank in Kopperl, Texas. In 1910 he organized the bank in Rio Grande City, Texas.
In 1911 he came to Hearne, Texas from Rio Grande City and was made cashier of the Planters & Merchants State Bank. In 1927 he became president of this bank and served in this capacity until 1949. Under his leadership, this bank prospered and grew into one of the most stable institutions of its kind in this part of Texas.
He was married to Miss Mae Davis, June 18, 1903. Mr. and Mrs. Philen had a son, James Gilbert Philen Jr., who was reared in Hearne and later moved to Brownsville, Texas where he became substantially established in business. Grandchildren of Mr. and Mrs. Philen are: Barbara Philen, Joan Philen, and Nancy Philen.
In his public service, James Gilbert Philen served on the Hearne City Council for 14 years and as Mayor of Hearne for 7 years. He was extremely active in both his position as President of the bank and in the civic life of Hearne.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Philen were members of the First Baptist Church and Mr. Philen was a member and Past President of the Hearne Rotary Club, a member and former President of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce, and a member of the Hearne Masonic Lodge. James Gilbert Philen died in 1949 at the age of 71 years.
PRIESTLY, EDWARD BYRON, was born in Houston, Texas, August 26,
1926, the son of Hubert Byron Priestly and Annie Belle Jennings
Priestly. With his family he moved to Grand Prairie, Texas where
he attended the first two years of grade school. He moved to
Hearne, Texas where he completed grade school and entered Hearne high
school where he was graduated with the Class of 1945. During his
high school days he played football, baseball, and basketball. He
was also a member of the Hearne Eagles track team. After
completing his high school education he entered the U. S. Army and took
his military training at North Camp Hood, Texas in the tank destroyers.
In August 1945 he went overseas and was stationed in the Pacific area at Manila. He received his discharge from military service in September 1946 and entered Southwest Texas State College where he received his BBA Degree in January 1950. After finishing his college work he was employed by the Alamo Lumber Company at Bay City, Texas from February 1950 to August 1951. In September 1951 he accepted employment with the Johns-Manville Corporation of Corpus Christi, Texas and worked for this firm as a salesman in the Corpus Christi and Rio Grande Valley area until August 1957. In September 1957 he returned to Hearne where he became associated with his father in the Priestly Lumber Company.
Edward Byron Priestly married Louise Belle Clemons, daughter of Lewis Carroll Clemons and Pearl Roberts Clemons of Bartlett, Texas, September 3, 1948. Louise Belle Clemons Priestly attended the public schools of Bartlett and was graduated from Bartlett High School with the Class of 1946. She attended Southwest Texas State College at San Marcos, Texas and received her BS degree in January 1950. Two children were born to Edward Byron Priestly and Louise Belle Clemons Priestly: Robert Byron Priestly and Suzanne Priestly. Louise Belle Clemons Priestly is a member of Grace Methodist Church; the Green Thumb Garden Club; Women's Society of Christian Service; a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution; and the A. A. U. W. Edward Byron Priestly is a member of Grace Methodist Church where he serves on the Board of Stewards. He is also a member of the Hearne Lions Club; a member of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge; Committee Chairman for the Boy Scouts; a member of the Hearne Golfer's Association; a member of the Calvert Country Club; a former member of the Rio Grande Valley Lumberman's Association; and a former member of the Bay City Masonic Lodge.
son of Samuel Byron Priestly and Maggie Lattimore Priestly, was born in
Jacksonville, Texas, February 8, 1901.
After graduating from high school in Jacksonville he entered business college to complete his education.
He was married to Miss Annie Belle Jennings, daughter of Edward H. Jennings and Cora Jennings, in Jacksonville, Texas, September 3, 1922. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Priestly: Edward Priestly, Dorothy Jane Priestly, and Averil Jean Priestly.
In 1936 Mr. and Mrs. Priestly and their family moved to Hearne where he assumed the managership of the Farrar Lumber Company and served in this capacity until 1955 when he purchased the lumber company and established the Priestly Lumber Company on Market Street. His son, Edward B. Priestly, became actively associated in this business in 1957.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Priestly are active members of the Baptist Church and Mr. Priestly has been a member of the Hearne Rotary Club since 1936. He is Past President of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce and Past President and Secretary of the Board of Education of the Hearne Independent School District.
Page Modified: 25 January 2012
Copyright © April 2011-present by Jane Keppler. This information may be used by individuals for their own personal use, libraries and genealogical societies. Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission from Jane Keppler. If material is copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information and please email me and let me know. Neither the Site Coordinators nor the volunteers assume any responsibility for the information or material given by the contributors or for errors of fact or judgment in material that is published at this website.