Welcome!County Coordinator is Jane Keppler.
County Co-Coordinator is Jean Huot Smoorenburg
If you have any questions or would like to submit information for Robertson County, please email one of the above.
|site search by freefind|
TXGenWeb Robertson County Books & Master's Theses
H E A R N E O N T H E B R A Z O S
Used with permission of Norman Lowell McCarver, Jr. These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format by other organizations or individuals. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material must obtain the written consent of McCarver family relatives..
Biographical Sketches - R
son of Joe Cyrus Rasco and Edna Phifer
Rasco, was born November 15, 1877 in Robertson County, Texas.
He attended the rural school at Heads Prairie and farmed with his father. During his early years, he engaged in the cattle and horse business. In the early days of Robertson County, there were large herds of wild horses running loose and Belton D. Rasco engaged in the business of catching these wild horses, breaking them, and selling them to the farmers and ranchers. He was quite a bronc rider in his early days and an old story has it that two five dollar gold pieces were put in the stirrups when young Rasco would ride a bronc and he was so good at bronc riding that he could keep the gold pieces from dropping from the stirrups while he was riding the bronc. He also rode in the tournaments that were so popular in his early days. Belton D. Rasco learned to barber in his early days by cutting the neighbors children's hair and he later moved to Kosse, Texas where he became a full time barber.
He moved to Hearne, Texas in September 1906 and established Rasco's Barber Shop. By good business management, Belton D. Rasco became a wealthy man.
He married Jim Lou Ayres, daughter of Jim P. Ayres and Loula Adelia Jennings Ayres of Hearne, Texas in 1909. Jim Lou Ayres Rasco was born in Hearne, Texas, October 27, 1893. She attended the public schools of Hearne. Her father, Jim P. Ayres, was a building contractor and later owned and operated the 5- and 10-Cent Store and a photographer's studio in Hearne. One child, Belton James Rasco, was born December 8, 1910 to Belton D. Rasco and Jim Lou Ayres Rasco. Belton James Rasco married Willie Mae Morgan, daughter of William Loran Morgan and Minnie Bell Guynes Morgan, of Calvert, Texas. The following children were born to Belton James Rasco and Willie Mae Morgan Rasco: Billy James Rasco, Jimmie Lou Rasco, who married David R. Breeding, and Belton D. Rasco II.
During his early days in Hearne, Belton D. Rasco was a star baseball player and managed the Hearne Semi-Pro Baseball Team for several years.
Belton D. Rasco died May 13, 1926 and Jim Lou Ayres Rasco died July 7, 1911.
KENNETH, son of Warren Alfred Ramsay and
Nora Carter Ramsay, was born July 21, 1931 at Fordyce, Arkansas. He
attended the public schools in Fordyce, Arkansas and later moved to Henderson,
Texas where he was graduated from Henderson High School with the Class of 1949.
Upon completing his high school work he entered Texas Christian University at Fort Worth, Texas where he was a member of the football team for four years. He earned his freshman letter in football in 1949 and lettered three years on the T. C, U. Horned Frog varsity football team. He was an outstanding guard on the Frog team during the seasons of 1950-51-52 and played in the Cotton Bowl Game January 1, 1953 at Dallas, Texas. While attending T. C. U. he was a member of the "T" Association and the Bryson Club. He was graduated from Texas Christian University with the Class of 1953 with a B. S. Degree.
After completing his college education, he served as assistant coach at Odessa High School at Odessa, Texas during the school year 1953-54. During 1954-1955 he served as a Corporal in the U. S. Army stationed at Fort Chaffee, Arkansas. He received his discharge from military service December 16, 1955 and moved to Hearne, Texas to make his home January 1, 1956. He is associated with the Citizens Ice Company of Hearne.
He was married to Claudia Ann McCollum, daughter of Oscar Horace McCollum and Aba Mae McMordie McCollum of Hearne, Texas on August 24, 1952. Claudia Ann McCollum Ramsay was born in Hearne, Texas and attended the Hearne public schools, graduating from Hearne High School with the Class of 1949. She attended Texas Christian University and was graduated with the Class of 1953 with a B. S. Degree in Education. While attending T. C. U. she was a member of the Bryson Club; the American Child Education; and the American Association of University Women.
Jack Kenneth Ramsay is a member of the Hearne Lions Club; President of the Hearne Quarterback Club; a member and vice president of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post of Hearne; a member of the Hearne Volunteer Fire Department; and a member of Grace Methodist Church where he serves on the Board of Stewards.
REED, LUCIEN LARKIN,
son of Paley Andrew
Reed and Gussie Larkin Reed, was born at the Reed Plantation in the
Brazos Bottom, January 2, 1908.
He was reared in the Brazos Bottom country and attended the Hearne Public Schools. During his young manhood, he was employed for several years with the Southern Pacific Railroad Company and later entered the automobile business. His first venture in the automobile business was in Cameron, Texas.
After serving 25 months in the United States Navy during World War II with overseas duty being served in the Pacific, he received his discharge in November 1945 and re-entered the automobile business. He has operated this type of business in Waco, Bryan, Houston, and Hearne.
He was married to Miss Doris Mangum, daughter of Eugene Carl Mangum and Oneita McDaniels Mangum, December 25, 1946. Mr. Mangum was born in Mangum, Texas in Eastland County and Mrs. Mangum was born at Durant, Oklahoma. Mr. and Mrs. Reed were married in Hearne and have a daughter Carla Don Reed. Mrs. Reed attended the Hearne Public Schools and was graduated from Hearne High School. She attended Sam Houston State College at Huntsville where she received her B. A. Degree and the University of Texas at Austin where she received her Masters Degree.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Reed are members of Grace Methodist Church. Mr. Reed is a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post of Hearne, member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, member of the Hearne Rotary Club, member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce, and a member of the Knight of Pythias. He is one of Hearne's most active business men.
REED, PALEY ANDREW JR., son of
Andrew Reed and Gussie Larkin Reed, was born February 3, 1917 at
He attended the Hearne grade school and Hearne High School, graduating with the Class of 1934.
In 1936 he moved to Houston to work and attended an embalming school for a period of four years, returning to Hearne in 1939. From 1941 to 1943 he worked as a licensed embalmer in Bryan. On May 1, 1943, he assumed managership of a filling station on Market Street in Hearne and operated this business until he took over the Ford dealership on April 24, 1945.
He was married to Miss Iva Lee Moon of Mart, Texas, June 25, 1937 and three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Reed: a daughter, Andra Lee Reed; and two sons, Lucien Ray Reed and Paley Andrew Reed III.
Mr. Reed has held the following offices in his many activities in business and civic organizations; President of the Board of Education of the Hearne Independent School District; President of the Hearne Rotary Club; President of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; and a member of Grace Methodist Church.
PALEY ANDREW SR.
was born in Bryan, Texas, December 12, 1870 and spent his early boyhood
young manhood in that city.
In 1907 he moved to Hearne and was engaged in farming and ranching and later owned and operated a meat market on Fourth Street in Hearne. He also served as County Commissioner in Precinct Number Two of Robertson County for three consecutive terms and was serving in this capacity when several of the rural roads in the Hearne area were constructed.
He was married to Miss Gussie Larkin, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Augustus M. Larkin of Hearne, March 17, 1907. Two sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. Reed: Lucien Larkin Reed and Paley Andrew Reed Jr. During the years before his retirement, Mr. Reed owned and operated a large acreage in the Brazos Bottom where he was a cotton planter.
Paley Andrew Reed died April 23, 1957.
son of James Rufus Reed and Susan
Elizabeth Hudson Reed, was born October 25, 1904 at Llano, Texas.
He attended grade school at Gonzales, Texas and was graduated from Odem High School at Odem, Texas with the Class of 1921. He was employed by the Peterson Garage in Kerrville, Texas from 1929 to 1934. In 1934 he was employed as service manager for the Kerrville Bus Company and continued in this employment until 1941. He served as service manager for Normoyle Ordnance Base, San Antonio, Texas during 1941 and 1942.
He moved to Hearne, Texas in February 1942 and entered the automobile business, this business being located on the corner of Fourth & Cedar Streets. This firm was known as the W. L. Reed Motor Company. In 1943 he moved this business to the corner of Third k Market Streets. In 1954 he constructed a new garage building at 1208 Market Street and moved his business to this location.
On August 6, 1937 he was married to Mary Eleanor Brady, daughter of Peter Louis Brady Jr. and Olive McWilliams Brady, at Austin, Texas. Eleanor Brady Reed was born February 17, 1915 at Hearne, Texas. She attended the public schools in Hearne and was graduated from Hearne High School with the Class of 1932. Later she attended Draughons Business College in Austin, Texas. Two sons were born to Walter Lyle Reed and Mary Eleanor Brady Reed: Walter Lyle Reed Jr., born September 2, 1939 and Ronald Lynn Reed, born December 14, 1944. After the death of her father, Peter Louis Brady Jr. Eleanor Reed was appointed on February 24, 1957 to serve the unexpired term of her father as County Commissioner of Precinct No. 2 Robertson County, Texas. Walter Lyle Reed and Eleanor Brady Reed are members of the First Baptist Church and Mrs. Reed is a former member of the Hearne Garden Club.
REEVES, SHERIFF BOB,
colorful Robertson County, Texas
sheriff, was well known as a peace officer Throughout Texas. He was
sheriff for nearly 14 years and was a deputy sheriff five years.
One of his feats which received statewide attention was a Bremond bank holdup December 23, 1947, which Sheriff Reeves partially stopped while it was in progress. Sheriff Reeves was in Bremond, Texas buying a car across the street from the First State Bank when two bandits entered the bank. When they came out one of them stuck a gun in Reeves stomach and told him to face the wall. Reeves did so, then whirled and shot one of the two robbers who was climbing in the get-away car. The bullet hit the bandit between the eyes.
After retiring from law enforcement Sheriff Reeves owned and operated an insurance agency, a loan company, and a hotel and cafe in Franklin, Texas.
Sheriff Reeves was born at Ridge, Texas in 1895 and died December 1, 1957. He had many friends of all races and creeds in Hearne and Robertson County.
REINHARDT, MISS BESSIE was born June 7, 1885 at Calvert, Texas, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wiley Reinhardt. She was a sister of Carrie Reinhardt McNeel, Ed Reinhardt, and Jessie Reinhardt, old time residents of Hearne. Although she was in ill health for many years, Miss Bessie made a host of friends in the Hearne area. Other members of the Reinhardt family were: Foster Reinhardt, Martin Reinhardt, Jodie Reinhardt, and Mary Reinhardt.
son of Charlie Reistino and Louise Loria
Restino, was born January 12, 1911 at Marlin, Texas. His father
and mother were born in Italy and came to the United States in 1903 and
settled in St. Louis, Missouri. His father worked in a brick
factory at St. Louis for three years and the family moved to Robertson
County, Texas in 1906 and settled on the White Farm in the Brazos
Bottom near Hearne. His father began his farming career in the
Brazos Bottom with one mule and a plow, but as the years passed he
accumulated land of his own and at the time of his death was one of the
largest land owners in the Brazos Bottom.
In 1909 the Reistino family moved to Falls County, Texas and continued cotton farming and cattle raising. Charlie Reistino purchased 75 acres of bottom land in Falls County and later increased his land holdings to 660 acres in that area. In 1928 Charlie Reistino sold his land in Falls County and purchased the Wood Place on Little Brazos near Hearne, this farm consisting of 630 acres. He moved into Hearne in his declining years and purchased several town lots and houses. At the time of his death in 1953 he still owned the Wood Place farm in the Brazos Bottom.
The following children were born to Charlie Reistino and Louise Loria Reistino: Joe Reistino, Sam Reistino, Lena Reistino Campise, Tony Reistino, Frank Reistino, Phil Reistino, Mary Reistino Biamonte, johnie Reistino, and Josephine Reistino Nigliazzo.
Frank Reistino attended the country school near his home in Falls County, Texas and worked on his father's farm. He moved to Hearne in 1928 with his family and continued his association with his father in farming.
Frank Reistino married Frances Corona, daughter of Charles Corona and Dorothy Congelosi Corona, at Hearne, Texas, November 12, 1934. A daughter, Louise Ann Reistino, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Frank Reistino.
Frank Reistino and his family are communicants of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church and he is a member of the Knights of Columbus and the Robertson County Farm Bureau. He is one of the largest farm and ranch operators in the Brazos Bottom area, 6020 acres being utilized in his operations.
REISTINO, JOE SR., son of Charles Reistino and Louise Loria Reistino, was born in Italy, May 15, 1902. He came to the United States when he was five months old. The Reistino family first lived in St. Louis, Missouri but moved to Hearne, Texas in July 1904. His father, Charles Reistino, purchased land in the Hearne Brazos Bottom and farmed.
In 1909, the Reistino family moved to Falls County, Texas and remained there until 1927 when they returned to the Hearne Brazos Bottom.
In 1925, Joe Reistino began farming and ranching on his own. His father gave him four mules and he borrowed money to buy two more mules and some farm equipment. From this humble start, Joe Reistino has increased his farm and ranch holdings to such an extent that in 1958 he is considered to be the largest farmer and rancher in Central Texas. He owns over 8,000 acres in Robertson Brazos, Milam, McLennan, Falls, and Limestone counties, and leases over 10,000 acres. His cotton crops yield from 2,000 to 4,000 bales per year. In his 33 years of farming and ranching on his own in the Brazos Bottom area, he has sold cotton for as little as 4 cents a pound and as much as 43 cents a pound. On his ranch in the Hearne Brazos Bottom, he raises Black Angus and Hereford cattle. In order to carry on his farm and ranch operations, it is necessary for him to employ a foreman at each plantation and ranch. Cotton, cattle, alfalfa, and grain are raised in large quantities on his farms and ranches.
In addition to his farming and ranching business, he is the owner of the Plantation Dehydrating Company and the Anderson Dehydrating Company in the Brazos Bottom. Both of these plants are alfalfa dehydrating mills. He is a stockholder and President of the Hearne Alfalfa Milling Company; he is Vice President and stockholder of the Mumford Alfalfa Milling Company, is a stockholder and Vice President of the Waco Alfalfa Milling Company; is President of the Farmers Brazos Gin Company; a stockholder and director of the Hearne Cotton Compress Company; a member of the Southwestern Cattlemen's Association; a member of the Texas Cattlemen's Association; a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; a member of the Robertson County Farm Bureau; a member of the Old Cotton Belt Association; and a communicant of St. Mary's Catholic Church.
Joe Reistino married Frances Falsone, daughter of Joe Falsone and Frances Cangelosi Falsone of Highbank in Falls County, Texas, January 18, 1925. Her parents were born in Italy and settled at Mudville in the Brazos Bottom when they first came to the United States, later moving to Highbank in Falls County, Texas. Frances Falsone Reistino was born at Mumford, Texas, January 3, 1905. After the death of her mother, she was reared by her two grandmothers. The following children were born to Joe Reistino and Frances Falsone Reistino: Louise Reistino, who married Charles Scarpinato; Gathan Reistino, who married Angeline Stratta; Frances Reistino, who married Vince Corpora; and Joe Reistino Jr. A daughter, Frances Reistino, was born to Gathan Resitino and Angeline Stratta Reistino. Two daughters, Sandra Corpora and Bernadette Corpora, were born to Vince Corpora and Frances Reistino Corpora.
Frances Falsone Reistino is a communicant of St. Mary's Catholic Church and is a member of St. Mary's Altar Society.
REISTINO, JOHN CHARLES, son of Charles Reistino and Louise Loria Reistino, was born near Marlin in Falls County, Texas, July 7, 1915. His father and mother were born in Italy. He attended the Cedar Springs rural school in Falls County.
In 1929, he moved to the Hearne Brazos Bottom with his parents and attended the Hearne Public Schools. After finishing his schooling, he farmed with his father in the Brazos Bottom.
He entered the U.S. Army, June 13, 1941, and served with the Combat Engineers in the Northwest Service Command in Alaska and Kodiak Island during World War II.
After receiving his discharge from military service in 1946, he returned to Hearne and began farming on his own in the Hearne Brazos Bottom. In 1958, he farmed and ranched on 800 acres.
John Charles Reistino married Annie May Lampson, daughter of Mike Lampson and Minnie Todaro Lampson of Hearne, Texas, June 25, 1944. Her father was born in Italy and her mother was born in Louisiana. The following children were born to John Charles Reistino and Annie May Lampson Reistino: Marjorie Anna Reistino, born October 11, 1949, and John Wayne Reistino, born September 24, 1953.
John Charles Reistino and Annie May Lampson Reistino are communicants of St. Mary's Catholic Church. She is a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church Altar Society. He is a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church Men's Club; a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post of Hearne; a member of the Old Cotton Belt Association; a member of the Robertson County Farm Bureau; a stockholder in the Hearne Alfalfa Milling Company; and a member of the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Associations.
TONY CHARLES, son of Charles Reistino and Louise
Loria Reistino, was born in the Hearne Brazos Bottom in Robertson
County, Texas, October 12, 1910. His father and mother were born
in Italy and came to the United States to make their home.
Tony Charles Reistino attended the Highbank school and the rural school near Marlin in Falls County, Texas. After finishing his schooling he farmed during 1932, 1933, and 1934 with his father. In 1929 his father purchased a farm on Little Brazos River near Hearne and Tony Charles Reistino farmed this place with his father. In 1935 Tony Charles Reistino began farming in the Hearne Brazos Bottom on his own and in 1958 was farming and ranching 765 acres.
He was married to Jo An Mancuso, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Carlo Mancuso of St. Louis, Missouri, January 11, 1949. A daughter, Gloria Ann Reistino, was born to Tony Charles Reistino and Jo An Mancuso Reistino.
He is a communicant of St. Mary's Catholic Church; a stockholder in the Westbrook Valley Gin Company; a member of the Robertson County Farm Bureau; a member of the Old Cotton Belt Association; and a stockholder in the Hearne Alfalfa Milling Company.
son of Mr. and Mrs. M. J. Reynolds, was born in Wheelock, Texas,
He attended school at Wheelock and Hearne and after his school days he farmed for two years before going to work for the Humble Pipe Line Company in 1920.
He was married to Miss Zelma Bush, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Tom L. Bush of Mumford, Texas, May 5, 1924. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds: Dorothy Jean Reynolds Robertson, Betty Ruth Reynolds Youngblood, and Tommy E. Reynolds Jr. All of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds are graduates of Hearne High School.
He is a member of the First Baptist Church and for many years was active in Boy Scout work in this area. He formerly served on the Board of Education of the Hearne Independent School District.
was born August 22, 1912 in Topeka, Kansas, the son of Theodore
Rickenbacher and Mabel Brintall Rickenbacher.
He attended the public schools of Topeka, Kansas and was graduated from Topeka High School. Upon his graduation from high school, he attended Washburn College at Topeka for two years and then transferred to the University of Kansas at Lawrence, Kansas where he was graduated with a B. S. Degree in Business Administration. At the University of Kansas he was a member of the Beta Theta fraternity.
He was married to Miss Lucienne Hudson, daughter of Ben S. Hudson and Verna Russell Hudson of Fredonia, Kansas, August 18, 1935; the wedding taking place in '"restmoreland, Kansas. Mrs. Rickenbacher's father, Ben S. Hudson, was a pioneer Kansas newspaper editor and publisher for many years before his passing early in 1958. Mrs. Rickenbacher graduated from Fredonia, Kansas High School and also attended Kansas State University at Manhattan, Kansas.
In 1940, Mr. and Mrs. Rickenbacher and their two sons, Ted Rickenbacher III and Stephen Jon Rickenbacher, moved to Hearne, Texas to make their home, Mr. Rickenbacher purchasing the Hearne Democrat which he continues to own and operate. Another son, William Hudson Rickenbacher, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Rickenbacher in Hearne.
During World War II, Mr. Rickenbacher served three years and nine months in the United States Navy with his overseas duty being in the Pacific area. He held the rank of Lieutenant.
Upon his discharge from duty with the U. S. Navy after World War II, he returned to Hearne to continue the publishing of the Hearne Democrat and the operation of The Hearne Printing Company.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Rickenbacher are very active in the business and civic activities of Hearne. He is a Past President of the Hearne Rotary Club; Past President of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; Past Commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars; Charter member of the Hearne Golfer's Association; a member of the Hearne Housing Authority; and a member of Sigma Chi, professional journalistic fraternity.
son of Mr. and Mrs. J. D. Rikard, was born at Liberty, Texas, February
When he was a small child the Rikard family moved to Houston County and he attended several grades in the Pearson Chapel School. He also attended summer schools and special schools.
He farmed in Houston County until he entered the U. S. Army in World War I serving from 1917 until his final discharge in 1920.
From 1920 until 1925 he taught school in Anderson and Houston Counties and also went to school himself during these years at Texas A&M College. Several prominent Texas state officials were pupils of his classes when he was teaching schools in East Texas.
In 1925 he moved to Hearne where he worked for the Humble Pipe Line Company until he began his employment with the City of Hearne in 1928 as an operator in the electric power plant. He was appointed Superintendent of Utilities for the City of Hearne, January 1, 1951.
While serving in the U. S. Army he was married to Miss Gladys Green, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. L. Green, pioneer citizens of Hearne. The marriage was solemnized September 14, 1919. The following children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Rikard: Robert Rikard who was killed in action during World War II while serving in the U. S. Air Force in Europe; Virginia Rikard Blackmon; Mary Lee Rikard Arrington; Donald Rikard, and Dolly Ann Rikard Netka.
Benjamin Franklin Rikard is a member of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge of Hearne; a member and past commander of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post; and Past President of the Brazos-Colorado Water Association.
Robertson, Colonel Sterling Clack
was born September 22, 1879 at Austin, Texas, the son of Mr. and Mrs.
In May 1913, he moved to Hearne and was connected with the Travis Oil Mill Company.
He was married to Miss Floy Beckham, daughter of Beverley W. Beckham and Sidney Carr Beckham, pioneer citizens of Hearne, July 22, 1907 and two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Robinson: Carr Robinson and Floy Robinson Green.
Mr. Robinson entered the cotton oil business in 1913 and built to ownership of four mills in the 1920's. He moved to Austin in August 1921 to make his home and continue his oil mill business.
In 1930, Mr. Robinson and his associates sold their mills at Hearne, Taylor, San Antonio, and Corpus Christi, but Mr. Robinson remained in the field as vice president and general manager of the South Texas Cotton Oil Company.
He also developed farming and other business interests and operated a ranch in the Hill Country near Johnson City, Texas.
Mr. Robinson came from a family interested in ranching and he always maintained his interest in this business. The best of the oil mill business for him was the selling of livestock feed because it kept him in working contact with Texas cattlemen. "It's the last phase of man-to-man dealing," Mr. Robinson said, "the last field of business in which a man's word is all that is needed. I've seen my father get 1300 head of cattle together, cut them and send them to a buyer in the Indian Territory - a man he's never seen and probably never would see. Two or three months later, the man's check would arrive in payment. That's all the paper work there was to it. Well, things are still pretty much that way among Texas cattlemen and I like it."
was born in the Brazos Bottom, July 26, 1915, the son of Anthony
Johanna Cotropia Roffino. Both of
his parents were born in Sicily, his father coming to America in 1882
at the age
of 17 and his mother coming to America in 1884 at the age of 12.
He spent his early boyhood days working on his father's cotton farm and attended grade school in Mumford. In 1928 he began his studies at Hearne High School and was graduated with the Class of 1932.
He was married to Miss Rosa Lee Ferrara, daughter of Charles Ferrara and Charlotte Trentacost Ferrara, May 28, 1934. Mr. and Mrs. Roffino have a daughter, Mary Jane Roffino.
Leo Luke Roffino established the Monarch Grocery in Hearne in 1939 and he has become one of Hearne's leading retail merchants.
He is a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church, a member of St. Mary's Men's Club, a member of the Hearne Lions Club, a member of the Woodmen of the World, a member of the United Commercial Travelers, and a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce and a past director of this organization.
In addition to his grocery and market business in Hearne, he continues to operate a cotton farming business in the Hearne Brazos Bottom.
ROGERS, RANDALL JARVIS,
was born September 26, 1913 at Shawnee,
Oklahoma, the son of James Ernest Rogers and Elta Nola McLaughlin
With his family he moved to Hearne, Texas in September 1922 and attended the Hearne public schools. After completing his schooling, he enlisted in the U. S. Marines and served during 1933 through 1935. After receiving his discharge from military duty, he returned to Hearne and worked as an automobile salesman from 1935 to 1937. In 1937 he operated his own service station in Hearne until 1942 when he went to work for the Southern Pacific Railroad Company as a clerk in the Hearne yards.
He married Willie Mae Pack, daughter of William Wilson Pack and Ivy Melinda Barnett Pack, June 6, 1936. Willie Mae Pack Rogers was born at Franklin, Texas, January 18, 1918 and later moved to Hearne with her family. She is a graduate of Hearne High School. Three children were born to Randall Jarvis Rogers and Willie Mae Pack Rogers: Jimmy Rogers, Carol Ann Rogers, and Randy Rogers. Jimmy Rogers is a graduate of Hearne High School and is attending the University of Texas.
Randall Jarvis Rogers is a long time member of the Hearne Volunteer Fire Department and has held various offices in that organization. He is vice president of the Hearne Public Library; a member of the Hearne Housing Authority of the City of Hearne; and a member of the First Baptist Church. Willie Mae Pack Rogers is a member of the First Baptist Church where she is active in the church choir; is a charter member of the Hearne Study Club; and a member of the Hearne Music Lovers Club.
ROHDE, BERT EMMETT
was born at Columbus, Texas, March 13, 1873, the son of Henry Rohde and
Carter Rohde. His father came to
the United States from Germany.
The Rohde family moved from Columbus to Bryan, Texas. Robert Emmett Rohde and Vida Reynolds were married at Elliott, Texas, September 12, 1894. Mr. and Mrs. Rohde moved to Hearne that same year and made their home on Second Street. Mr. Rohde was the proprietor of Rohde's Saloon which was located on Fourth Street.
In 1901 Mr. and Mrs. Rohde moved to Bryan and in 1909 they moved back to Hearne where Mr. Rohde engaged in the furniture business and also sold funeral supplies. He also was in the farming and ranching business. He discontinued his furniture business in the early 1920's but continued to operate his cattle business.
Mrs. Rohde was born at Englewood, Texas, a small community just east of Franklin on May 18, 1877, the daughter of Ely Reynolds and Jane Blatherwick Reynolds, pioneer citizens of that section of the county.
Children born to Mr. and Mrs. Rohde: Robert E. Rohde Jr., Ronald Rohde, Henry Rohde, and Clyde "Baby" Rohde. Grandchildren are: Wanda Rohde Burdick, Henry Rohde Jr., Dolores Rohde, and Gwendolyn Rohde.
ROSE, JUNIOUS RAMSEY,
son of James Woodward Rose and Mary Alice Hammond Rose, was born in
Texas, October 12, 1885. His father
was born in North Carolina and his mother was born in Marlin, Texas.
As a youth, he attended school in Hempstead and worked on the family farm. Later he worked as a 'fence rider' on the 7000 acre Ira Camp Farm and Ranch near Hempstead.
In 1903 he left Hempstead and moved to Houston where he worked for the Magnolia Brewery until 1907. In July 1907 he went to work as a locomotive fireman on the Houston East & West Texas Railroad, beginning a railroad career that continued for 48 years. On this job he had a run from Houston to Shreveport, Louisiana. In December 1907 he became a brakeman on the Houston & Texas Central Railroad on a run from Houston to Hearne. He also served as a conductor on this same railroad from 1914 to 1917 and also served as a conductor on the B. & C. T. I. Railroad from Bryan to Whitaker.
With his family he moved to Hearne, October 15, 1917, purchased acreage west of Hearne and established "Rose Hill," the Rose homestead, where his children and grandchildren were reared. After moving to Hearne in 1917 he was employed as a switchman in the Hearne yard of the H. & T. C. Railroad and also owned and operated Rose's Dairy from 1925 through 1927.
He was married June 24, 1908 to Miss Louise Rindt, daughter of Charles L. Rindt and Louise Erb Rindt. The following children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Rose: Mary Louise Rose Hilburn, Junious R. Rose Jr., Elbert Rose, Harral Rose, and Doris Rose Bishop. All of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Rose are graduates of Hearne High School. The following are grandchildren of Mr. and Mrs. Rose: Dorothy Hilburn Franks, Mary Lou Hilburn Simon, Hazel Rose, Edna Louise Rose, Jimmie Lou Rose, Tommie Sue Rose, William Edward Bishop, Norman Ray Bishop, and Robert Earl Bishop. Great grandchildren are: Lou Ellen Franks, Barbara Ann Franks, Kathy Simon, Debbie Simon, and Mark Simon.
Junious Ramsey Rose and Mrs. Rose are communicants of St. Philips Episcopal Church where Mr. Rose served for many years as Superintendent of the Church School. He is also a member of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen.
He retired from active service with the Southern Pacific Railroad Company, February 25, 1955 ending a railroad career of 48 years of service. After his retirement he entered the egg and poultry business on his farm at "Rose Hill." The life and career of Junious Ramsey Rose is typical of the many men who have served with the railroads in the Hearne area.
was born January 11, 1912 in Piedras Negras, Coahuila, Mexico, the son
Matilde Ruiz and Josefa Rodriquez Ruiz.
In 1921, with his parents he moved to Hearne, Texas and later became a naturalized citizen. He attended the public schools in Hearne and accumulated a great number of friends.
Upon the completion of his schooling he secured employment in local tailor shops where he learned the trade of tailoring and the cleaning business.
During World War II, he enlisted in the U. S. Army and served two years of active duty in the United States and overseas, receiving his military discharge in 1945.
He was married November 20, 1946 to Miss Frances Garcia, daughter of Steve Garcia and Theresita Lucio Garcia of Orchards, Texas. The wedding took place in Hearne, Texas. The following children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Ruiz: Mary Lou Ruiz, Josephine Ruiz, and Paul Ruiz Jr. Mr. and Mrs. Ruiz are members of St. Mary's Catholic Church.
He is a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce and the American Legion Post of Hearne.
Paul Ruiz is one of Hearne's most popular young businessmen and often serves as an interpreter of the Spanish language.
son of Frank E. Russ and Lillian Bryan Russ, was born at Brenham,
November 17, 1925.
He attended grade school at Brenham but later moved to Somerville, Texas where he graduated from high school with the Class of 1941.
Entering the University of Texas in 1941 his schooling was interrupted by World War II. He enlisted in the U. S. Navy and served three years active duty. After being discharged from military service he again took up his studies at the University of Texas and received a B.B.A. Degree in 1948 and an L.L.B. Degree in 1950. Prior to receiving his L.L.B. Degree he was licensed to practice law in 1949. He took his last examination for his L.L.B. Degree January 23, 1950 and opened his law office in Hearne, January 24, 1950.
He was married to Miss Betty Lunsford of Center, Texas, June 28, 1947 and the following children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Russ: Karen Ann Russ, Ellen Rebecca Russ, and Bryan F. Russ Jr.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Russ and their family are members of the First Baptist Church where Mr. Russ teaches in the Sunday school.
He is a member of the Lee Scott Masonic Lodge at Somerville, Texas; Past President of the Hearne Lions Club; a member of the Hearne Rotary Club; a Director of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; Chairman of the Industrial Committee of the Chamber of Commerce; Director of the Hearne Building & Loan Association; Director and Attorney for the First State Bank of Hearne; a member of the County and District Attorneys Association of Texas; and a former City Attorney for the City of Hearne.
In addition to his general practice of law in Hearne and Robertson County, Russ has served as County Attorney for Robertson County, Texas.
Back to homepage
Page Modified: 26 January 2015
Copyright © 2014-present by
Copyright © 2014-present byJane Keppler. This information may be used by individuals for their own personal use, libraries and genealogical societies. Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission from Jane Keppler. If material is copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information and please email me and let me know. Neither the Site Coordinators nor the volunteers assume any responsibility for the information or material given by the contributors or for errors of fact or judgment in material that is published at this website.