Welcome!County Coordinator is Jane Keppler.
County Co-Coordinator is Jean Huot Smoorenburg
If you have any questions or would like to submit information for Robertson County, please email one of the above.
|search engine by freefind||advanced|
TXGenWeb Robertson County Books & Master's Theses
H E A R N E O N T H E B R A Z O S
Used with permission of Norman Lowell McCarver, Jr. These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format by other organizations or individuals. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material must obtain the written consent of McCarver family relatives.
Biographical Sketches - S
son of William Christian Sander and Annie Louise Warmke Sander, was
Brenham, Texas, August 18, 1916. He
attended school in that city and moved to Hearne in 1935 as manager of
& P. Grocery Store which was located on the corner of Magnolia and
At the outbreak of World War II he enlisted in the U. S. Navy Air Corps and served overseas. After receiving his discharge from naval service he returned to Hearne in 1946 and in partnership with Louis "Boyo" Cochran organized the C. & S. Grain & Lumber Company and located this business on the corner of Market and Fifth Streets.
He was married to Miss Marjorie Beavers, daughter of Thomas Claude Beavers and Luella Xantippie Dickson Beavers of Hillsboro, Texas in 1946. Mr. and Mrs. Sander have two children; a son Tommy Sander and a daughter, Nancy Carolyn Sander.
He has been one of Hearne's most active business men since 1946 and served two terms as a member of the City Council of the City of Hearne. He is a Past President of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce and also served several terms as a Director of this organization; has served on the Board of Directors of the Hearne Rotary Club and was further honored by being elected to serve as President of this club; and is a member of the Hearne Golfer's Association. During the time that he served as President of the Rotary Club, under his leadership and personal efforts, the Boy Scout Building at the Hearne Municipal Park was built by the Rotary Club and presented to the City of Hearne for use in the scouting program. He continues his activities in all of these organizations and is one of Hearne's truly great civic workers.
Mr. and Mrs. Sander are members of the Grace Methodist Church where Mr. Sander serves as a member of the Board of Stewards.
was born in Franklin, Texas, October 13, 1905, the son of Mr. and Mrs.
His early school years were at Bishopville, a rural community in the eastern part of Robertson County. He later attended Franklin High School.
On October 12, 1925 he moved to Hearne and began his employment with the Humble Pipe Line Company. Except for very short periods of special work, all of his years with Humble have been served in Hearne. He is station foreman for the Hearne Products Station of the Humble Pipe Line Company.
He was married to his childhood sweetheart Miss Bobbie Lloyd of Bishopville, April 28, 1926 and all of their married life has been spent in Hearne. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Scott; jewel Ray Scott Hadaway, Herbert Brooker Scott Jr., and Yvonne Scott Brady. All of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Scott graduated from Hearne High School.
Mr. and Mrs. Scott are members of the First Baptist Church of Hearne and Mr. Scott serves as Trustee for the Church. He is a member and Past Master of Golden Rule Masonic Lodge of Hearne and a member of the East Texas Chamber of Commerce. He also served for several terms on the Board of Education of the Hearne Independent School District.
SEALE, SAMUEL ROSS, son of Sam Houston Seale and Mary
Leathers Seale, was born August 23, 1903 at Benchley, Texas. His
parents were pioneer citizens of Brazos County, Texas.
He attended the rural school at Benchley and after completing his schooling he engaged in the farming ranching business in the Benchley area. During the early 1920's he was employed in the cotton raising business on the Moreland Farm in the Hearne Brazos Bottom. He served as Constable for the Benchley Precinct during 1942-43. During this time he also served as Deputy Sheriff of Robertson County under Sheriff Bob Reeves.
During 1943 he moved to Hearne and was employed as a City Policeman and served in this capacity through June 1945. On July 1, 1945 he was appointed Game Warden in Hardin County, Texas and moved to Kountz, Texas to make his home. He worked on this job for one year and returned to Hearne on July 1, 1946 when he was appointed Game Warden for Robertson County, Texas with Hearne headquarters.
Samuel Ross Seale was married to Belva Cox, daughter of Sam Cox and Ola Davlin Cox, on May 6, 1937. He is a member of Grace Methodist Church of Hearne; a charter member of the Hearne Lodge of the Knights of Pythias which he helped to organize in 1956; and a member of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge of Hearne. Mrs. Seale is a member of the First Baptist Church of Hearne and a member of the Order of the Eastern Star where she has served as Marshal.
Samuel Ross Seale is known throughout this section of Texas and is a respected member of the law enforcement circles.
DR. TOM A.,
son of The Reverend and Mrs. T. A. Searcy, was born at Bryan, Texas,
1904. His family moved to Iowa when he was
five years of age and
lived in four towns in that state during his early life.
His father was a Baptist minister. His
grade and high school education was received in Iowa.
In 1923 he entered De Moines University at De Moines, Iowa and was graduated from this school in 1926. From 1926 to 1930 he was a wheat farmer in western Kansas. He entered Baylor University College of Medicine in 1930 and received his Doctor of Medicine degree in 1934. He interned at St. Paul's Hospital in Dallas for one year and then moved to LaGrange, Texas where he practiced medicine for two and one-half years.
He moved to Hearne December 1, 1937 and practiced medicine until August 1, 1942 when he entered the U. S. Army during World War II. During the latter part of 1945 he received his military discharge after serving in the European area.
During his military service he met Dr. James P. Fleming and after the war Dr. Fleming came to Hearne to practice with Dr. Searcy. Together, they built the Searcy-Fleming Hospital & Clinic in Hearne.
Dr. Searcy was married to Miss Jessie Eveland of Oskaloosa, Iowa, May 31, 1931. Dr. and Mrs. Searcy have two children: John Thomas Searcy and Martha Elizabeth Searcy.
Dr. Searcy is an active member of the First Baptist Church; a member of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge of Hearne; a Knights Templar in Bryan; a member of Ben Hur Shrine in Austin; a member of the Texas Medical Association; a member of the American Medical Association; a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post of Hearne; a former member of the Hearne Rotary Club; and serves as Health Officer for the City of Hearne.
WAYNE H., was
born at Fort Sumner, New Mexico, July 23, 1908, the son of Harry Crowel
Lena Hanna Shaw. His parents were
natives of Alabama.
With his parents he moved to Texas when he was a baby, the family settling in Coleman County where he completed his schooling.
In 1929 he entered the service station business at San Saba, Texas and after a few years at this location he moved to Richland Springs, Texas operating a service station there until 1936 when he returned to San Saba.
In 1939 he worked on the Texas A&M campus and continued this employment through 1940 at which time he again returned to San Saba to work on a highway project. He was employed at McCloskey Hospital in Temple, Texas in 1942,
He moved to Hearne December 20, 1944 and formed a partnership with M. L. T. Jackson and opened a service station. On July 29, 1946 he acquired the entire ownership and management of this business.
He was married to Miss Ethel Lois Fry of San Saba, Texas, August 19, 1931 and he and Mrs. Shaw have a son, Jon Wayne Shaw, who was born in 1941.
Wayne H. Shaw served as a member of the Hearne School Board for three years. He has served as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Hearne Church of Christ where he is an active member. He is a member of the Hearne Rotary Club and serves as Secretary of this organization. He is very active in the civic and business activities of Hearne.
was born in Grodno, State of Grodno, Russia, February 12 1872, the son
of a poor
Russian Jewish father and mother who suffered many hardships during his
and young manhood. About the only
time that he had enough food was while he served on KP duty in the
during the years of 1893 to 1897. Military
service in that country was compulsory for all males with the exception
oldest male in each family who was exempt from military service and
go to school. Mr. Silverman did not
have an opportunity to go to school. Mr.
Silverman often told the story of his young life and the hardships
the 'old' country stating that he had practically no clothes and owned
pair of shoes and pants when he was 13 years old.
In 1898, after finishing his military service, he came to the United States and landed at New York. Here he found employment at a meat packing plant.
Mr. Silverman's brother, Abe Silverman, had come to the United States a few years before his arrival and had established himself as an itinerant merchant in the Franklin area as many Jewish people of that day had done.
In 1901, Mr. Silverman was married to Miss Janie Taub of New York, Mrs. Silverman having also come to the United States in her early girlhood. In 1908 the family consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Silverman and their children Jakie Silverman and Rebecca Silverman who were born in New York, came to Franklin, Texas to make their home where Mr. Silverman was associated with his brother Abe Silverman. Their third child, Willie Silverman was born in Franklin.
In 1909 Mr. and Mrs. Silverman moved to Hearne where Mr. Silverman established a confectionery business on Magnolia Street and he continued to operate this business until his retirement in 1932.
During his business career and residence in Hearne, Mr. Silverman built up an excellent business and won the respect and admiration of all that knew him. His youngest son, Morris Silverman, was born in Hearne.
Mrs. Silverman, who was born in Austria, January 12, 1880, passed away in New York, April 30, 1942. Mr. Silverman died March 9, 1933.
SILVERMAN, JAKIE, son of Alex Silverman and Janie Taub
Silverman, was born in New York City, New York, March 8, 1904.
He moved to Franklin, Texas in 1908 and in 1909 moved to Hearne, Texas. He attended the Hearne public schools and was graduated from Hearne High School with the Class of 1921. During his high school days he was a member of the high school football, baseball, and basketball teams. After completing his high school education he attended the University of Texas.
In 1923 he worked for the City of Hearne in the utilities department and on September 11, 1924 he began his employment with the H. & T. C. Railroad. He is Chief Clerk at the yard office and during World War I1 he served this railroad as yardmaster in the Hearne yards. As a sideline he wrote life insurance for several years in the late 1930's and early 1940's. He has been employed by the railroad for 34 years.
He was married to Adele Smith, daughter of William Arlington Smith and Mary Holland Whiteley Smith, July 19, 1934 at Killeen, Texas. Adele Smith Silverman attended the Gatesville public schools and was graduated from Gatesville High School with the Class of 1924. Upon completing her high school education she attended North Texas State College at Denton, Texas where she received her B. S. Degree. Later she received her M. A. Degree from Sam Houston State Teachers College at Huntsville, Texas. She also attended the University of Texas and Texas A. & M. College during the summer months. In 1927 Adele Smith Silverman moved to Hearne, Texas and became a teacher in the Hearne public schools. She has taught school for 11 years.
Jakie Silverman is a member and Past Master of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge of Hearne; a member of the Scottish Rite Bodies of Austin, Texas; and a member of the Ben Hur Shrine of Austin. Mrs. Silverman is a member and former president of the Hearne Music Club. She also served as vice president, secretary, and treasurer of this organization. She is Chairman of the Parent-Teachers Association Welfare Committee; a former member of the Hearne Shakespeare Club; a member of Grace Methodist Church where she has served as President of the Dorcas Sunday School Class; a member of the Robertson County Teachers Association; and a member of the Texas State Teachers Association.
daughter of William Jackson Lord and Nannie Louise Martin Lord, was
With her family she moved to Hearne, Texas in 1902, the family settling in the northern part of town on the Lord property. She attended the Hearne Public Schools and November 4, 1909 she was married to George Marvin Sisson of Houston. With her husband she lived in Houston and later established their home at Bay City, Texas where they lived until 1910 when they moved to Hearne.
In 1918 the Sissons moved to Yoakum, Texas making their home there until 1923. Mr. Sisson, a railroad man working for the old San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad Company, was killed in Yoakum October 1, 1923 in a railroad accident. Mrs. Sisson returned to Hearne and she was associated with her father in the operation of a grocery business until May 1926. At this time Mrs. Sisson accepted employment as a bookkeeper for the Chevrolet Company in Hearne and continued in this employment until May 7, 1927 when she opened a ladies ready to wear store in Hearne. She also engaged in the real estate and loan business and is one of Hearne's most active businesswomen. Mr. and Mrs. Sisson had three children: Louise Sisson Whitlow, Dorris jean Sisson, and a son George Lord Sisson. Mrs. Sisson's grandchildren of Hearne are: Jack Whitlow, Jane Whitlow, George Smith Sisson, and Mary Lou Sisson.
SLAGLE, ERNEST ERLE, son of John Henry Slagle and Kate
Burford Slagle, was born June 2, 1886 at Garrett in Ellis County,
Texas. His father was a native of Kentucky and his mother was
born in Texas.
He attended school at Garrett and was graduated from high school in 1903. After finishing high school he attended telegraphy school in Dallas and began his railroad career as a telegrapher at the Garrett station of the H. & T. C. Railroad in 1903, at the age of 17 years. In 1910 he was made a dispatcher with this same railroad in Ennis, Texas. He worked on this job until he was promoted to Trainmaster in 1924.
In 1926, with his family he moved to Hearne, Texas to make his home and continue his duties with the railroad.
Ernest Erle Slagle married Minnie Leigh, daughter of Richard Henry Leigh and Mattie Jacques Leigh, March 21, 1906 at Corsicana, Texas. Her father was born in East Texas and her mother was born in St. Louis, Missouri. Minnie Leigh Slagle was born at New Boston, Texas, September 13, 1888. Five children were born to Ernest Erle Slagle and Minnie Leigh Slaale: four daughters, Julia Slagle, Martha Slagle, Marie Slagle, and Sarah Slagle; and a son, Lucien Erle Slagle. All of the Slagle children except Julia Slagle are graduates of Hearne high school. Julia Slagle graduated from Ennis High School.
Ernest Erle Slagle retired from railroad service in 1930 and went into the insurance business. He became Division Manager for the Universal Life & Accident Insurance Company and served in this capacity until his death in 1941. He was a member of the First Baptist Church; a member of the Ennis Masonic Lodge No. 369; a member of the Mystic Shrine of Karem Temple of Waco; and the Ennis Council No. 181 and Waxahachie Commandery No. 71 Knights Templar. Mrs. Slagle is a member of the Order of the Eastern Star; the Hearne Garden Club; and the Baptist Women's Missionary Union.
SMITH, CHARLES EDMOND, son of Charles Lewis Smith and Sallie
Armer Smith, was born May 16, 1891 at Hempstead, Texas.
After his schooling he farmed from 1910 to 1922 in Waller County and Grimes County.
He moved to Hearne, Texas, August 9, 1922 and went to work for the H. & T. C. Railroad Company as a car inspector and worked for this railroad until his retirement July 1, 1956. He spent 34 years in railroad service.
He married Julia Elizabeth Mitchell, daughter of Dick G. Mitchell and Molly Elizabeth Tompkins Mitchell, December 1, 1910 at Hempstead, Texas. Three children were born to Charles Edmond Smith and Julia Elizabeth Mitchell Smith: Kathryn Elizabeth Smith who married Andrew C. Love Jr.; Molly Mildred Smith who married Claude Nathaniel Chaffin; and Julia Ann Smith who married Rex Z. Michael. Grandchildren of Charles Edmond Smith and Julia Elizabeth Mitchell Smith are: Ermine Michael and Margie Michael.
Julia Elizabeth Michell Smith was born December 12, 1892 at Hempstead, Texas and died January 28, 1947.
On June 14, 1949, Charles Edmond Smith married Maude Wallace Henderson, a widow. Two sons were born to Maude Wallace Henderson by her first marriage to Richard P. Henderson: Richard Henderson and William Henderson. Grandchildren of Richard P. Henderson and Maude Wallace Henderson are Richard Henderson Jr. and Plez Henderson.
Charles Edmond Smith is a member of the First Baptist Church where he has served on the Board of Deacons since 1922; Sunday School Superintendent for ten years; taught the Intermediate Boys Class for five years; and served as Chairman of the Building gc Grounds Committee for ten years. He is a member of the Woodmen of the World; a member of the Brotherhood of Railroad Carmen of America; and represented the Local No. 337 at the International Convention in Chicago when the members of this organization of the United States and Canada met in 1947.
Since his retirement from the railroad in 1956, Charles Edmond Smith has engaged in farming and ranching activities in Hearne.
son of Mr. and Mrs. James W. Smith, was born at Winters, Texas, April
He attended school at Winters, graduating from high school in 1931 and was active in all high school sports. Entering McMurry College at Abilene, Texas in 1931 he lettered in football, basketball and tennis, receiving his bachelor degree at this school in 1934.
After graduating from college in 1934 he accepted a position as assistant coach at Lefors High School, a position he held until 1936 when he was made head coach for six years. In 1942 he returned to his hometown of Winters, Texas as head coach and science instructor at the high school.
In 1944 he enlisted in the U. S. Navy and served until 1946 during World War II. Upon receiving his discharge from the Navy, he became assistant coach and physical education instructor at Southwestern University at Georgetown, Texas. At this time he also began work toward his master's degree at Southwestern University and received this degree in June 1948.
In the fall of 1948 he moved to Beaverton, Oregon and taught science in a union high school for one year. On July 11, 1949 he came to Hearne, Texas and took over as head coach and science instructor at Hearne High School. He also directed the municipal recreation program for several years. In 1955 he resigned his position as head coach and accepted the position of head pincipal of the elementary schools in Hearne.
He was married to Miss Harriet Hunkapillar of Pampa, Texas on February 25, 1940 at Roswell, New Mexico. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have three children: George Francis Smith Jr., Jo Loy Smith, and Suzi Smith.
He is a member of Grace Methodist Church; a former Director of the Hearne Rotary Club; former President of the Hearne Little League Baseball Association; and a former President of the Hearne Golfer's Association.
son of Charles Lewis Smith and Sallie Armer Smith, was born in the
Community of Waller County, Texas, August 22, 1893.
His parents were pioneer citizens of the Lexington community in
He attended school at Shiloh and later at Navasota, Texas when his parents moved to that city in 1910. He lived in Navasota from 1910 until 1914 when he moved to Ryan, Oklahoma where he became a barber.
In 1917, he entered the U. S. Army and served 13 months overseas with the 36th Division during World War I. He received his discharge from military service in 1918 and returned to Ryan, Oklahoma to continue his barber business. He moved to Hearne, Texas, February 1, 1928 and established Smith's Barber Shop on Fourth Street and he continued to own and operate this business until February 7, 1958 when he sold his shop and began operating as a commission barber at Cayce's.
He married Nellie Lucille Clearwater, daughter of Ike Clearwater and Edna May Thompson Clearwater, of Snyder, Oklahoma, June 19, 1922. Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Smith: Robert Smith, Lynn Smith, Marinell Smith Gambill, Charles Isaac Smith, and Eddie Smith.
Walter Lee Smith was honored by the citizens of Hearne in being elected to serve on the Hearne City Council in 1931-33. He is a member and Past Master of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge, a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post, served as Superintendent of the Sunday School of the First Baptist Church for 20 years, has served as a member of the Board of Deacons since 1930, a member and Past President of the Robertson County Baptist Brotherhood, and has served since 1946 as a member of the Robertson County Draft Board, having received his appointment to this board from President Harry S. Truman.
was born November 5, 1859 in Weshartlepool, England.
In 1884 he was married to Miss Elizabeth H. Johnson of
England who was born September 17, 1859, and the young couple came to
States, settling in Hearne shortly after their arrival and resided in
the remainder of their lives.
Mr. Smyth was a sailor in the British Navy for twelve years, but abandoned the seafaring life when he came to the United States.
During his early residence in Hearne he was engaged in the restaurant business and was assisted in the operation of this business by his wife. After retiring from the restaurant business, Mr. Smyth followed the trade of painter and paper hanger, building up a reputation in his work which caused a constant demand for his services.
Mr. Smyth and Mrs. Smyth were good citizens in their adopted homeland throughout the many years of their residence and accumulated a host of friends among the old time citizens of Hearne. Both Mr. and Mrs. Smyth were communicants of St. Philips Episcopal Church.
Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Smyth: a daughter Frances who died in infancy, John G. Smyth, Leah Smyth Brown, Earl Smyth, and Bettie Smyth Childers.
Mr. Smyth died in 1927 and Mrs. Smyth died in 1938.
son of T. C. Snell and America Snell, was born at Hempstead, Texas,
With his family, he moved to Hearne when he was a young boy and attended the Hearne public schools.
In his early manhood he went to work for the H. & T. C. Railroad and served as a switchman in the Hearne yards of this company throughout his railroad career.
He was married to Mrs. Eddie Griffin and the following children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Snell: T. C. Snell, Phil S. Snell Jr., William Snell, James R. Snell, Joe Snell, Tommy Snell, Julia Ruth Snell, Katie Snell, Ann Snell, Janie Marie Snell, and two step-daughters; Mrs. Bernadine Griffin Morgan and Mrs. Eloise Griffin Harris.
Phillip Solomon Snell died July 19, 1957.
was born in Bremond, Texas, October 2, 1917, the son of Albert Sowma
Abraham Sowma. His father was born
in Lebanon and came to the United States in early boyhood.
He attended public schools in Bremond and was graduated from high school in that city with the Class of 1935 and then entered Baylor University in Waco.
Later he was associated with his father in the retail dry goods business in Bremond.
He moved to Hearne in June 1940 and established the Main Hotel & Cafe on the corner of Fourth and Market Streets.
On January 7, 1939 he was married to Miss Norene Stellbauer, daughter of Robert Herman Stellbauer and Beulah Lee Hall Stellbauer of Bremond, Texas. Mrs. Sowma also attended Bremond High School and graduated in 1934. Mr. and Mrs. Sowma have two children: Jerry Sowma and Judy Sowma.
He is active in the business and civic life of Hearne and is a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce. His religious affiliation is with St. Mary's Catholic Church.
son of Henry L. Spiller and Isabella Ellison Spiller, was born at
Texas, August 22, 1890 and moved to Hearne, Texas in 1918 where he was
by the Railway Express Agency and the Southern Pacific Railroad.
He entered military service during World War I and served as a gunner in the 345th Machine Gun Battalion and took part in a number of major battles including the Argonne offensive and the Battle of St. Miheil. He was discharged from the armed forces in June 1919 after having served in the Army of Occupation.
He was married to Miss Lena Dixon at Wheelock, Texas, November 29, 1919. Mr. and Mrs. Spiller had two children; a daughter, Mary Katherine Spiller Briggs, and a son, Harvey Sidney Spiller Jr.
Mr. Spiller was employed by the Humble Pipe Line Company at Hearne, June 21, 1923 and completed 30 years of employment with this company, receiving a gold wrist watch from this company which was presented to him at his home during his lengthy illness.
Always extremely active in the civic life of Hearne, he served on the Hearne City Council for 10 years as an alderman and was later elected Mayor of the City of Hearne to fill the unexpired term of J. G. Philen, later being elected to two full terms in that office and was serving as Mayor at the time of his death. He served the community well in public office and was always striving for the betterment of Hearne.
He was a member of the Hearne Masonic Lodge, a member of the Baptist Church, a director and stock holder of the P. & M. State Bank of Hearne and had extensive real estate holdings in Hearne. Harvey Sidney Spiller died July 5, 1953.
SPOEDE, COLONEL HERMAN HENRY, son of William Spoede and Pauline
Koehler Spoede, was born at Secaucas, New Jersey, August 25,
1892. He attend the public school at Secaucas and was graduated
from the Staten Island High School in New York with the Class of 1908.
He was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in 1917 and served in the U. S. Army during World War I. In 1919 he moved to Texas and farmed in Austin County until 1934. He continued in the army reserve and in 1934 became active and was promoted to Captain. During World War II he served in India, China, and the European Theater with the rank of Lt. Colonel. In 1947 he was promoted to Colonel and continued in military service until his retirement in 1952.
In August 1952 he moved to Hearne, Texas to make his home after his retirement from military service.
Colonel Herman Henry Spoede was married to Elizabeth Yeager Guyler, daughter of Robert William Guyler and Amanda Franklin Poindexter Guyler, December 23, 1919. The marriage was performed at Wallis, Texas. The following children were born to Colonel Herman Henry Spoede and Elizabeth Yeager Guyler Spoede: Herman Henry Spoede Jr. who was killed in action in the Pacific area during World War II; Stuart Lee Spoede of the U. S. Navy; and Captain Robert Spoede of the regular U. S. Army. The following are grandchildren of Colonel Herman Henry Spoede and Elizabeth Yeager Guyler Spoede: Herman Henry Spoede III; Louise Spoede; Stuart Lee Spoede II, Rebecca Spoede, and David Spoede.
Colonel and Mrs. Herman Henry Spoede are communicants of St. Philips Episcopal Church where he has served as a member of the Vestry and as Senior Warden. He is a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post of Hearne; helped to organize the American Legion Post at Wallis, Texas; is a former member of the Bellville, Texas American Legion Post; and is a member of the Board of Education of the Hearne Independent School District. Mrs. Spoede is a member of the Women's Auxiliary of St. Philips Episcopal Church; a member of the Hearne Shakespeare Club; and a former member of the Hearne Garden Club.
STASNY, CHARLES HAROLD, son of John J. Stasny and Jennie
Carrie Kosh Stasny, was born at Bryan, Texas, September 22, 1921.
He attended the public schools of Bryan and was graduated from Stephen
F. Austin High School of Bryan with the Class of 1938. After
completing high school he attended Texas A. & M. College.
During 1942 he worked for the Texas Highway Department Soils Laboratory.
He entered the armed services during World War II.
On January 2, 1946 he was employed by the Lone Star Gas Company and worked as a serviceman and engineer. Later he served this company as South Texas Regional Supervisor.
In February 1954 he was appointed Local Manager of the Lone Star Gas Company in Hearne, Texas.
He married Mary Anne Beran, daughter of Antone T. Beran and Elizabeth Sablatura Beran of Caldwell, Texas, April 8, 1947. The marriage was performed in Bryan, Texas. Mary Anne Beran Stasny attended Caldwell High School and McKenzie-Baldwin Business School in Bryan. She is a communicant of St. Mary's Catholic Church and a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church Altar Society.
Three children were born to Charles Harold Stasny and Mary Anne Beran Stasny: James Stasny, David Stasny, and Gregory Stasny.
Charles Harold Stasny is a communicant of St. Mary's Catholic Church; a member of St. Mary's Men's Club; a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post; a member of the Boy Scouts local committee; a member of the Knights of Columbus; and a member of the Hearne Rotary Club.
A childhood romance that had its beginning in Europe during the
Bismark, Blucher, Napoleon III and Queen Victoria, was responsible for
to Hearne one of its early pioneer families.
Eugenie Gerbracht, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Andreas Gerbracht, was born in the province of Rheinhessen, Germany, March 12, 1849. In the same province there also lived young Jacob Steffan who was born June 7, 1844. Young Steffan and his bride-to-be grew into manhood and womanhood with romance blossoming into love.
After serving his required number of years in the Prussian Army, to escape the growing militarism of the old country and to insure a happier, more prosperous life, young Steffan immigrated to America, coming directly to Hearne in 1871. The story of his early days in the New World differed little from that of thousands of other young immigrants who came to America's shores in the nineteenth century to play such an important part in the development of the nation.
Seven years after his arrival in Hearne, Jacob Steffan had prospered sufficiently to buy a home and outfit it. He sent for the sweetheart he had left in the old country and in 1878 the bride-to-be was met in New Orleans by Mr. Steffan. The marriage rites were solemnized in the Crescent City and the happy couple came to Hearne to make their future home. The dwelling which Mr. Steffan bought for his bride was located in the 200 block on Second Street and in 1958 this house is still standing.
Mr. and Mrs. Steffan prospered through the years, becoming business and social leaders in the little town of Hearne before the coming of the 20th century. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Steffan; a son, who died in infancy and a daughter, Valesca Steffan Marshall.
Mr. Steffan died August 28, 1883 and Mrs. Steffan died February 18, 1940 at the age of 91 years.
STEWART, GEORGE DAVID, was born December
9, 1853 and was a pioneer of Hearne, Texas. he owned and operated
a farm east of Hearne on the acreage near the East Side Elementary
School. For many years, he was one of Hearne's most respected and
substantial citizens. His cattle brand, 7JK, was one of the most
familiar brands in the early days of Hearne. The Stewart farm
acreage is now owned by Mr. & Mrs. L. Wilson; Mrs. Wilson is a
daughter of George David Stewart.
George David Stewart married Ida Ann Belcher, who was born February 19, 1868. The following children were born to George David Stewart and Ida Ann Belcher Stewart: Georgia Stewart, Lutie Stewart Wilson of Tucson, Arizona; Emma Clyde Stewart; Fanny Stewart; Jewel Stewart; Berry Lee Stewart; Leah Paul Stewart; John Stewart, Marvin Stewart, Harper Stewart, and Belcher Stewart. All of the children of George David Steward and Ida Ann Belcher Stewart attended the public schools of Hearne and graduated from Hearne High School. John Stewart owned and operated the Queen Theater in Hearne for many years during the silent picture days. George David Stewart died November 13, 1929 and Ida Ann Belcher Stewart died June 27, 1947. Both are buried in Norwood Cemetery in Hearne, Texas.
STOVALL, ROBERT MOFFAT, son of Jesse Franklin Stovall and Betty Ruth Scott Stovall, was born at Hearne, Texas, August 7, 1928. He attended the Hearne public schools and was graduated from Hearne High School with the Class of 1946. While attending Hearne High School, he was a member of the Hearne Eagles football team during the years 1942-45.
After completing his high school education, he enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps in 1946 and served through 1947. He was stationed at El Toro, California.
In 1947, he was employed by the Humble Pipe Line Company and worked for this firm for six months at Baytown, Texas. During 1948-49, he was employed by the Texas Highway Department at Hearne. In 1949, he was employed by The Texas Company and continues this employment in Hearne in 1958.
Robert Moffat Stovall married Betty Lee James, daughter of Lonnie Franklin James and Lucille Roberta Baker James of Hearne, Texas, July 5, 1947. Betty Lee James Stovall war reared in Hearne, Texas and graduated from Hearne High School with the Class of 1947. The following children were born to Robert Moffat Stovall and Betty Lee James Stovall: Robert Michael Stovall, born 1949; James Scott Stovall, born 1951; and Robbie Stovall, born 1957.
Jesse Franklin Stovall and Betty Ruth Scott Stovall moved to Hearne, Texas, March 2, 1917. They formerly lived in Belton, Texas. He worked for the Railway Express Agency, the U.S. Post Office, and the Humble Pipe Line Company in Hearne. Jesse Franklin Stovall worked for the Humble Pipe Line Company in Hearne from 1921 until his death in 1951. The following children were born to Jesse Franklin Stovall and Betty Ruth Scott Stovall: William Alonzo Stovall, Robert Moffat Stovall, Jesse Franklin Stovall Jr., Rowena Bass Stovall, who married Joe C. Mahan, and Betty Frank Stovall, who married W. W. Herndon.
Robert Moffatt Stovall and his wife Betty Lee James Stovall are members of the First Baptist Church of Hearne. He is a member of the Hearne Golfer's Association and serves on the District Council of the Boy Scouts of America.
son of Charles A. M. Strong and Emma Johnson Strong, was born April 29,
Texas City, Texas.
He attended the public schools in Texas City and graduated from high school with the Class of 1929. He entered the University of Texas in 1935 and received his Degree in banking and finance.
After completing his college work he returned to Texas City where he was cost accountant for an oil company, later becoming associated with a bank in that city.
He entered the U. S. Navy in 1943 and served during World War II, receiving his discharge in 1945. After completing his military service, he returned to Texas City where he became cashier of the First State Bank. He later was promoted to vice president of this bank and was made president in 1950.
In November 1956, with his family he moved to Hearne, Texas to supervise the construction of the First State Bank of Hearne and to employ personnel. The bank was formally opened for business September 6, 1957 and he assumed his duties as Executive Vice President and Director.
He was married to Miss Josephine Stanton, daughter of Joe Brown Stanton and Evelyn Summers Stanton, of Crockett, Texas, June 15, 1940. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Strong: Wilbur Stanton Strong and Milton Stanton Strong.
Wilbur Strong and his family are members of the Grace Methodist Church and he teaches an adult Sunday School Class and sings in the church choir. He is a member of the Hearne Rotary Club and served as Song Leader for this organization at the District Rotary Conference held in Waco, Texas in 1958. He is a past Worshipful Master of the Texas City Masonic Lodge, has been a registered Scouter for 17 years and active in Boy Scout work for many years. He is Scout Master for Troop No. 84 in Hearne and is on the Executive Board of the Sam Houston Area Council of Boy Scouts. He has been active in Red Cross work and serves as vice-chairman of the Robertson County Red Cross Chapter, and is on the executive board of the American Cancer Society. Mrs. Strong is also very active in local and county organizations.
SAMUEL JR., son of Joseph Samuel Sturgis Sr. and Annie Gibbs
Sturgis, was born November 21, 1913 at Crockett, Texas. In 1914,
he moved to Trinity, Texas where he attended the public schools and was
graduated from Trinity High School with the Class of 1930. After
finishing high school in Trinity, he attended a business school in
Houston, Texas and completed a course in public accounting.
When he was 12 years old, he was employed at the Queen Theater in Trinity and after completing his schooling in Houston, he returned to Trinity to work at this theater, alter becoming manager. He left Trinity in 1935 and moved to Wharham, Texas, where he managed the Worth Theater for six months. Later in 1935, he managed the Queen Theater in Longview, Texas. In 1937-1938, he managed the Queen Theater in Trinity, Texas, and in 1939 he moved to Houston where he worked in grocery stores for a short period of time before becoming a welder for the Reed Roller Bit Company. In 1941, he left this employment and went to work for the Brown Shipbuilding Company. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1943 and served until 1946 during World War II. At the time of his discharge from military service, he was a Radioman First Class.
After receiving his discharge from military service, he returned to Trinity, Texas where he accepted employment with a livestock auction business as a bookkeeper.
On August 8, 1948, Joseph Samuel Sturgis Jr. moved to Hearne, Texas where he accepted employment with The Hearne Democrat as advertising manager. He continues in this employment in 1958.
Joseph Samuel Sturgis Jr. married Jimmie Smith in Fairfield, Texas, October 11, 1954. Both Mr. & Mrs. Sturgis are communicants of St. Philips Episcopal Church of Hearne; he serves as a member of the Vestry and she is an active member of the Woman's Auxiliary. Jimmie Smith Sturgis is employed as librarian for the city library. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge, the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post of Hearne, and a former member of the Hearne Lions Club.
SUGGS, EUGENE CUMMINGS, son of Melvin Eugene and Stella Aline Bishop Suggs, was born at Hearne, Texas, August 8, 1927.
He attended the Hearne public schools and was graduated from Hearne High School with the Class of 1944. During 1942 and 1943, he was a member of the Hearne High School Eagles football team. After finishing high school, he was employed by the Sheffield Company of Houston, Texas for a short period.
In June 1944, he entered the U.S. Navy CB at the age of 17 and served in the Asiatic Pacific area during World War II. He received his discharge from military service in August 1946. After receiving his military discharge, he returned to Hearne and was employed by the Culpepper Chevrolet Company and worked for this firm until 1952. In 1952, he was employed by the City of Hearne as an electrician. Later, he was promoted to Chief Electrician and Assistant Utilities Superintendent.
Eugene Cummings Suggs married Martha Louise Boggan, daughter of John B. Boggan and Maurine Stephens Boggan of Hearne, Texas, January 27, 1947. The following children were born to Eugene Cummings Suggs and Martha Louise Boggan Suggs: Connie Gayle Suggs, Steven Eugene Suggs, and Carla Jo Suggs.
Martha Louise Boggan Suggs attended the Hearne public schools and was graduated from Hearne High School with the Class of 1945. After completing her high school work, she attended Sam Houston State Teachers College in Huntsville, Texas. Later, she was employed for four years by the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company of Hearne. She is a member and former president of the Hearne Music Club and a former member of the Hearne Study Club.
Eugene Cummings Suggs and Martha Louise Boggan Suggs are members of the First Baptist Church of Hearne. He is a member of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge of Hearne, and has been a member of the Hearne Fire Department since 1950. He has served as Fire Chief since September 1956.
SUGGS, MELVIN EUGENE, son of Calvin Washington Suggs and Lula Shields Suggs, was born at Blackjack, in Robertson County, Texas, October 19, 1900. He attended the rural school at Blackjack.
After finishing his schooling, he worked for Sam V. Burts on his ranch from 1917 until 1921. In 1921, he was employed by the Robertson County Precinct No. 2 and did road construction work under H. P. Hill, County Commissioner for sever years. In 1928, he was employed by the State Highway Department in the maintenance division and worked on this job for three years. In 1931, he was employed by the Lincoln Petroleum Company and worked at Luling, Texas. In 1943, he was employed as an electrician by the City of Hearne and later was made foreman of the city water department.
He was married to Stella Aline Bishop, daughter of Webb Bishop and Losia Guynes Bishop, December 28, 1926. The following children were born to Melvin Eugene Suggs and Stella Aline Bishop Suggs: Cummings Eugene Suggs, who married Martha Louise Boggan; Billy Frances Suggs, who married James Baker; and Janice Odell Suggs, who married Donald Maurice McLeroy Jr. Grandchildren of Melvin Eugene Suggs and Stella Aline Bishop Suggs are: Connie Gayle Suggs, Steven Eugene Suggs, Carla Jo Suggs, James Paul Baker, Jerry Allen Baker, Ronnie Dell Baker, and Mark Dean McLeroy.
Melvin Eugene Suggs has been a member of the Baptist Church since 1919. He and his wife are members of the First Baptist Church or Hearne and he serves on the Board of Deacons. He is also active in the Baptist Brotherhood; served as superintendent of the Bethany Baptist Church Sunday School; served as a Sunday School teacher in the First Baptist Church of Hearne; is a former member of the Hearne Fire Department; and is a member of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge of Hearne.
SUGGS, ROBERT LEE SR., son of Calvin Washington Suggs and Lula Shields Suggs, was born July 21, 1897 at Blackjack in Robertson County, Texas. He attended the Bethany rural school. During his boyhood, he helped his father in farming and carpenter work.
He enlisted in the U.S. Army, May 18, 1917, and served in France during World War I with the 131st Field Artillery, 36th Division. On April 15, 1919, he received his discharge from military service and returned to Hearne.
During 1919, he was employed by the Humble Pipe Line Company in Hearne. He moved to Brackenridge, Texas in 1920 and was employed in the oil fields in that area. From 1922 to 1941, he was employed as a driller for various companies in California, Corsican, Luling, Wortham, and the East Texas oil fields.
In 1941, he was appointed a special officer for the Humble Oil & Refining Company and worked in Corpus Christi and Houston, Texas until 1944. In 1944, he returned to Hearne and established a plumbing contracting business which he owned and operated for one year. In 1945, he formed a partnership with C. N. Lockhart and operated a cleaning and pressing business in Hearne for ten years. In October 1955, he sold his interest in this business and accepted employment with the City of Hearne.
Robert Lee Suggs married Odell Hooper, daughter of Hubbard Hooper and Maggie Sholia Hooper of Joaquin, Texas, August 24, 1932. The marriage was performed at Mansfield, Louisiana. Her parents were natives of Shelby County, Texas. Odell Hooper Suggs attended the public schools of Joaquin and was graduated from the Joaquin High School. After finishing high school, she attended Stephen F. Austin College in Nacogdoches, Texas. A son, Robert Lee Suggs Jr., was born to Robert Lee Suggs and Odell Hooper Suggs. Robert Lee Suggs Jr. attended the public schools of Hearne and later attended Sam Houston State College at Huntsville and Baylor University at Waco. In 1955, Robert Lee Suggs Jr. enlisted in the U.S. Navy and served three years.
Robert Lee Suggs and Odell Hooper Suggs are members of the First Baptist Church of Hearne. He served as President of the Baptist Brotherhood in 1958; is a member of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge No. 361 of Hearne; is a member of the Scottish Rite of Austin, is a member of the Ben Hur Shrine of Austin; and is a former member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce. Odell Hooper Suggs has been active in business circles in Hearne and has been field worker for the State Department of Public Welfare since May 1957.
Back to homepage
Page Modified: 21 August 2014
Copyright © 2014-present by
Copyright © 2014-present byJane Keppler. This information may be used by individuals for their own personal use, libraries and genealogical societies. Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission from Jane Keppler. If material is copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information and please email me and let me know. Neither the Site Coordinators nor the volunteers assume any responsibility for the information or material given by the contributors or for errors of fact or judgment in material that is published at this website.