Welcome!County Coordinator is Jane Keppler.
County Co-Coordinator is Jean Huot Smoorenburg
If you have any questions or would like to submit information for Robertson County, please email one of the above.
|site search by freefind|
TXGenWeb Robertson County Books & Master's Theses
H E A R N E O N T H E B R A Z O S
Used with permission of Norman Lowell McCarver, Jr. These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format by other organizations or individuals. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material must obtain the written consent of McCarver family relatives.
Biographical Sketches - T
BENJAMIN LAYFETTE, son of Pleasant Tanner and Mary Jane
Hare Tanner' was born March 29, 1868 at Coleta, Polk County,
Texas. He attended the small rural school at Coleta, this school
being located near Livingston, Texas.
During his young manhood he farmed in the Kickapoo community in Polk County. He was married to Ellen Benjamin Hickman, daughter of Jesse E. Hickman and Mary Ann Overton Hickman, February 17, 1891 in the Hickman home at Carlisle, Texas. Six children were born to Benjamin Layfette Tanner and Ellen Benjamin Hickman Tanner: Burl H. Tanner, Olive Tanner Nelson, Glynn H. Tanner, Daphne 0. Tanner, Sherman E. Tanner, and Harvey Lee Tanner.
Ellen Benjamin Hickman Tanner lived in the Hickman Survey in East Texas, this land being granted to her father, Jessie E. Hickman from the State of Texas.
Benjamin Layfette Tanner and his family moved to Trinity, Texas in 1909. He began work with the Beaumont & Great Northern Railroad and worked for this company until 1919 when he and his family moved to Hearne, Texas. In 1919 he worked for the H. & T. C. Railroad Company at Hearne. In 1922 most of the workmen in the Hearne repair yards went out on general strike and Benjamin Layfette Tanner did not return to his job after the strike. He was employed in general carpenter work until his retirement.
Benjamin Layfette Tanner was a member of the Woodmen of the World and the Baptist Church. Ellen B. Tanner was a member of Grace Methodist Church of Hearne.
TAYLOR, EFFIE LUTHER,
daughter of Luther Calvin Taylor and
Caroline Margaret Taylor, was born at Hearne, Texas, September 4,
1884. She attended the rural school at Henry Prairie in Robertson
County and also the Hearne public schools. She was graduated from
Hearne High School with the Class of 1902.
After completing high school, she attended Baylor College where she received her B. L. and B. A. Degrees. She also attended the University of Chicago, the University of California, and Columbia University. She received her Masters Degree from Columbia University. She also did considerable work toward her doctorate in English.
Miss Effie, as she was affectionately known to everyone, began her school teaching career in 1904 in the Cole Branch school. Later she taught for eight years in the Hearne public schools and was principal of Hearne High School for two years. She left Hearne in 1915 and taught English in Franklin High School for four years; taught at Marlin High School for four years; taught at Bonham High School for four years; and in 1927 she accepted a position with the East Texas State College in Commerce, Texas where she taught English for 25 years.
In 1954 she retired from the teaching profession and ended a career in the teaching field that lasted over 50 years.
Miss Effie endeared herself to the school children of Hearne during the years she taught in the Hearne public schools. She is listed in two nationally known organizations: "Who's Who In American Education," and "Who's Who In America." In 1958, fifty years since she began her teaching career, Miss Effie makes her home in Commerce, Texas, but throughout the years has kept in touch with her many friends in Hearne and has continued to maintain her interest in Hearne and her many former students.
Other children born to Luther Calvin Taylor and Caroline Margaret Taylor are: Lula Taylor (Mrs. M. L. Donnell of Fort Worth, Texas); Lizzie Taylor (Mrs. R. W. Cole of Franklin, Texas); Willie Taylor (Mrs. G. P. Dickson of Dallas, Texas); Agnes Taylor of Dallas, Texas; Verna Taylor (Mrs. G. 0. Wilson of Houston, Texas); and a brother, Alfred E. Taylor of Baytown, Texas.
Her mother, Caroline Margaret Taylor, was born at Beaumont, Texas and her father, Luther Calvin Taylor, was born at Jackson, Mississippi.
was born at Hearne, Texas, October 6, 1877 and was the son of John
Mary Teeling. He attended schools
in Hearne and Temple, Texas.
On November 15, 1908 he was married to Miss Sadie McGrew. For several years he operated a grocery store at the corner of Fourth and Cedar Streets in Hearne and later took over the management of the Exchange Hotel on San Gabriel Street. This hotel had been operated for many years by his parents. He was widely known in this section of the state and made many friends of the traveling public in his days of operating the hotel. He was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church.
Mrs. Teeling was born in Hearne, November 27, 1877 and made her home in Hearne throughout her life. His mother was born in Poland and came to the United States in 1869 and settled in Hearne in 1872. She was married to John Teeling Sr. in 1874. After his death, she became the wife of Owen Nestor in 1888. After the death of Owen Nestor she became the wife of E. B. Harris in 1915.
John Teeling Jr. died June 29, 1949 and his wife Sadie McGrew died December 9, 1951.
was born at Hearne, Texas, December 3, 1880.
His parents were John and Mary Teeling, pioneer residents of
were married in 1874. Mrs. Teeling
was a native of Poland and came to the United States in 1869 and to
Phil E. Teeling received his education in the public schools of Hearne. After finishing his schooling he engaged in railroading in train service, and when he left this work he was one of the most widely known railroad employees in the state, universally loved by his fellow workmen and held the respect and esteem of the officials of the railroad he served.
He preferred a business career, and decided to open a tailoring and gent's furnishing business. Starting with borrowed capital secured for him by loyal friends, he built up one of the most successful, widely advertised, and popular businesses in Central Texas. If there were those in other towns who did not know of Hearne's businessmen and institutions, it was rare to find one who had not heard of Phil Teeling, "The Honest Tailor" and wholesale houses all over the United States knew of his business and of his unique trade name.
If a stranger came to town, knowing no one, it was but a short time until Phil, as his friends knew him, had formed the acquaintance of the stranger and when he went away, it was with a fine conception of the "splendid town," its "hospitable people," its "present greatness" and "future prospects," and especially of his new found friend.
Hearne has had many distinguished professional men, eminently successful business men, educators of state wide reputation, financiers, known in the financial circles of this and other states, but none of them were more widely known than Phil Teeling. "The Honest Tailor."
If the Hearne Band went anywhere, Phil was there in style and state to help boost his town. If the baseball team played a game in the neighboring towns the party was not complete if it was not headed by Phil. With show people over the state, in all the different lines of amusement enterprises, he was a boon-companion, and knew more "player folk" than many who had spent a life in the business.
Failing health cut short his business career almost at its inception, but he was on his way to becoming one of the large businessmen of the state. He had made enough money, had it been hoarded instead of distributed to those in need, to have constituted a small fortune. He was a "friend-indeed" to many of the "down-and-outs" whose unworthiness of help never caused Phil to close his palm.
He was reared in the Catholic faith, but was a loyal friend of all churches and he was always ready to help in any religious movement for the betterment of his town.
Mr. and Mrs. Teeling had two children: a daughter, Elizabeth Teeling who married Dr. A. S. Lang of Baylor University in Waco, and a son, Phil E. Teeling Jr., a prominent Waco attorney.
He was a member of the Bryan Lodges of Elks and Moose, of the Hearne Lodges of the Woodmen of the World, and Yoemen, and of the Ennis Lodge of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen.
With the passing of Phil E. Teeling, "The Honest Tailor," November 26, 1914, Hearne lost one of the most unique and original characters and one of the most beloved young men who ever lived in Hearne.
was born in Kentucky in 1859 and came to Hearne in 1884.
Here he met Miss Lily Ayres to whom he was married in 1885.
Mr. Terry, known in railroad circles as "Baldy" Terry, began his railroad career in Hearne in the early days when wood was used as engine fuel. He was first engaged as a "hostler" at the round house of the H. & T. C. Railroad and following this was in turn a fireman and locomotive engineer. He was engineer for the Hearne & Brazos Valley Railroad running from Hearne to Stone City for many years and during the latter years of his railroad service he had a run from Hearne to Giddings on the Dalsa.
For a number of years, Mr. Terry served on the local school board and was actively identified with the Baptist Church all of his adult life. He was a charter member of the Hearne Camp of Woodmen of the World and a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.
After he retired from railroad service in 1922, he spent some time in Houston but maintained property interest in Hearne which brought him back often to visit with his many friends.
Mrs. Terry was born in Mississippi and moved to Hearne in early girlhood to make her home with her brother Jim Ayres. Mr. Ayres owned and operated a variety store in Hearne and later served as town photographer. Mr. Ayres was married to Miss Lula Jennings and thee daughters were born to this couple: Lillie Belle Ayres Delhome, Marvel Ayres Ferney, and Jimmie Lou Ayres Rasco. Mrs. Ayres was a sister to Mrs. J. H. Jett, and their father was Professor Jennings, a schoolmaster in Hearne in the early days.
William David Terry and Lily Ayres Terry had eight children: Charles B. Terry, Dwight L. Terry, Eli B. Terry, Ted Terry, Willie Terry, Clifford Terry, Lougenia Terry, and Helen Terry.
Mr. Terry died March 27, 1935 and Mrs. Terry died March 26, 1936.
son of Joseph Walton Thames and Emma Lou Hodges Thames, was born in
Texas, October 30, 1901.
He attended grade school and high school in Smithville, Texas, graduating from that high school with the Class of 1919. Upon completing his high school education, he enrolled at the University of Texas in 1920 and received his B. S. Degree in Civil Engineering in 1924. While attending the University of Texas he was a member of Theta Xi and Sigma Delta Psi fraternities. He was also a member of the University of Texas varsity track team winning his letters in 1921, 1922, 1923, and 1924. He was a charter member of the Texas Cowboys, member of Student Assembly College of Engineering, President of the Senior Class of the College of Engineering, and President of the Engineering College of the University of Texas in 1924.
Upon receiving his college degree, he began his employment with the Texas Highway Department in 1924 and worked at LaGrange in Fayette County, Texas. He was made a resident engineer with the Texas Highway Department in 1926. He moved to Hearne, Texas, May 7, 1927 as Resident Engineer.
On April 20, 1929 he was married to Miss Katy Ely, daughter of William Henry Ely and Myra Abigail Walker Ely, pioneer residents of Hearne. Mrs. Thames graduated from Hearne High School and enrolled at Baylor University where she was graduated with a B. A. Degree in 1928. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Thames: Clement Beal Thames Jr., who was born March 29, 1931 and Elsa Carolyn Thames who was born June 28, 1935. C. B. Thames Jr. was graduated from Hearne High School and received his B. S. Degree in 1954 and his M. A. Degree in 1957 from the University of Texas. Elsa Thames graduated from Hearne High School and received her B. B. A. Degree from Baylor University in 1958. C. B. Thames Jr. was married to Miss Carolyn Bratton of Austin, Texas and they have three children: Joseph Walton Thames II, born May 6, 1954; William Henry Thames, born December 21, 1958; and Lisa Anne Thames, born December 21, 1958. Elsa Thames was married to William Bruce Sanders, a graduate of Baylor University with a B. S. Degree in 1955, of Greenwood, Mississippi. A daughter, Barbara Lynne Sanders, was born to William Bruce Sanders and Elsa Thames Sanders, September 8, 1955.
Clement Beal Thames was commissioned a Captain in the Corps of Engineers in the U. S. Army June 1, 1942 and assigned to the District Engineer's Office, Fort Sam Houston, Texas during World War II. He was separated from military service June 5, 1946 with the rank of Major. He returned to Hearne after his military service was completed to continue as Resident Engineer for the Texas Highway Department. He continued his reserve status in the U. S. Army and is serving as Lt. Colonel, Corps of Engineers Reserve, 4992 Control Group, College Station, Texas.
On May 1, 1953 he was promoted to Assistant District Engineer of the Texas Highway Department with his office being located in Bryan, Texas. On February 11, 1957 he was appointed District Engineer of the Texas Highway Department.
Mr. and Mrs. Thames are active members of the First Baptist Church of Hearne. He is a 32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason, Shriner; a member of Texas Society of Professional Engineers; a member of the National Society of Professional Engineers; Registered Engineer No. 892 Texas; and was acclaimed "Engineer of the Year" by the Brazos Chapter of the Texas Society of Professional Engineers on February 20, 1958.
He is a former member of the Hearne City Council; a former member of the Board of Education of the Hearne Independent School District; a Director of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; a former member of the Hearne Rotary Club; a member and former president of the Hearne Golfer's Association; and a Director of the Planters and Merchants State Bank of Hearne, Texas.
LOUIS, son of Robert Richard Theiss and Emma Marie Pehrs Theiss,
was born August 1, 1927 at Hearne, Texas. He attended Bethany
rural school and later attended Hearne High School and was graduated
with the Class of 1944.
Upon completing high school, he was employed by the Southern Pacific Railroad Company in Hearne as a caller. he entered military service July 19, 1945 and served in the U. S. Navy. After completing navy schooling, he served at the U. S. Navy Hospital in San Diego, California. He received his discharge from military service February 19, 1947 with a rating of Hospital Apprentice First Class. He returned to Hearne and was employed as a bookkeeper for the C. & S. Grain & Lumber Company. In 1948, he went to work for the Planters & Merchants State Bank of Hearne. He was recalled to military duty January 3, 1951 and served at the U.S. Navel Training Center in San Diego, California until his discharge May 1, 1952. At the time of his discharge, he had a rating of Pharmacist Mate Third Class. After returning to Hearne, he resumed his duties at the Planters and Merchants State Bank.
Raymond Louis Theiss married Doris Viola Brewer, daughter of Jack R. Brewer and Ethel Vila Davis Brewer, March 19, 1949. The marriage was performed at Franklin, Texas. Doris Viola Brewer Theiss attended the rural school in the Elliott community and later attended Franklin High School where she graduated with the Class of 1948. A son, Jerry Lynn Theiss, was born to Raymond Louis Theiss and Doris Viola Brewer Theiss.
Raymond Louis Theiss is a member and Treasurer of the Robertson County Gun Club; a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post of Hearne; a member and past Secretary-Treasurer of the Hearne Lions Club; serves as District Boy Scout Committeeman; has served as Scout Master; is a member of the Hearne Parent-Teachers' Association; and a member of the Bethel Luther Church of Bryan, Texas. Doris Viola Brewer Theiss is a member of the First Baptist Church of Hearne and a member of the Hearne Parent-Teachers' Association.
son of Mr. and Mrs. K. Tidemann, was born November 24, 1912 in Fort
He received his grade school education in Galveston and graduated from Terrill School in Dallas in 1930. He received his college education from Oklahoma University from which he graduated and received his B.S. Degree in 1937. After completing his college work, he went to work for the Humble Oil & Refining Company in Baytown, Texas, working in the industrial relations department.
In 1943 he entered the U. S. Army to serve during World War II and received his discharge from military service in 1946. He moved to Hearne in 1946 after forming a corporation to purchase and operate the large Goodland Farms in the Brazos Bottom near Hearne. He is majority stockholder and manager of the Goodland Farms.
He was married to Miss Mildred McCollum of Pawnee, Oklahoma, February 20, 1939 and he and Mrs. Tidemann have two children: Robert Tidemann and Katherine Tidemann.
He is a member and President of the Board of Education of the Hearne Independent School District; a former member of the Hearne Rotary Club; Secretary and Director of the Old Cotton Belt Association; and a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce.
Mr. and Mrs. Tidemann and their family are communicants of St. Philips Episcopal Church where he has served as a member of the Vestry and also served as Senior Warden. Mrs. Tidemann is active in the Women's Auxiliary of St. Philips Church and has served as President of this religious organization.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Tidemann take an active interest in the welfare of the children in the Hearne schools.
TIDWELL, HOUSTON L. "OX" JR.,
son of Houston L. Tidwell and Carrie
Reynolds Tidwell, was born at Hearne, Texas, July 17, 1924. He
attended the public schools of Hearne and was graduated from Hearne
High School with the Class of 1941. He lettered at the center
position with the Hearne High School Eagles football team in 1939 and
In March 1943 he entered the U. S. Armed Forces and served in Australia, North New Guinea, and the Philippines during World War I1. He was awarded the CCM, AP Ribbon, 3 Bronze Stars, PL Ribbon, and Victory Medal. In February 1946 he was discharged from military service.
After World War II he returned to his home in Hearne and accepted employment with the Clark Chevrolet Company and worked for this firm until 1957. During 1957 he was employed by the Lucien Reed Buick Sales.
He was married to Lucy Templeton, daughter of Monroe Templeton and Eunice Derrick Templeton of Calvert, Texas, December 31, 1947. Lucy Templeton Tidwell attended the Calvert public schools and was graduated from Calvert High School with the Class of 1945. After completing high school she attended Durham's Business College in Austin, Texas. She has been active in the business circles of both Hearne and Calvert having been employed by the Citizens State Bank in Calvert, the Planters & Merchants State Bank of Hearne, and the Hearne Building & Loan Association. She is a member of Calvary Baptist Church of Hearne; a member and Past Matron of the Hearne Chapter No. 722 Order of the Eastern Star; a member of the American Savings & Loan Institute of Chicago, Illinois; and a former member of the Green Thumb Garden Club and the Hearne Study Club.
Houston L. "Ox" Tidwell Jr. is a member of Calvary Baptist Church of Hearne; a member of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge; a member of the Miles Scriviner American Legion Post; a member of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; and a former member of the Hearne Lions Club.
Other children of Houston L. Tidwell Jr. and Carrie Reynolds Tidwell are: Elsie Tidwell Ondrej, Billy Tidwell, Danny Tidwell, and Johnny Lou Tidwell Fitch.
Danny Tidwell played football with the Hearne High School Eagles and made his letters at the tackle position. Billy Tidwell also was a football player with the Eagles, lettering in the backfield and later attended Texas A. & M. College where he was a star. He earned his freshman numeral and three varsity letters in football with the Texas Aggies. He later played professional football.
son of Mr. and Mrs. Ben 0. Tomlin, was born in Smith County, Texas near
September 19, 1918. He received his
early schooling there and graduated from the White House High School in
1937. He then went to work at the Rice
Hotel in Houston, Texas in
the accounting department.
He enlisted in the U. S. Marines in 1941 and served during World War II, receiving his discharge in 1946. Upon completing his military duty after the war with the rank of Captain, he went to work for the Tidewater Associated Oil Company in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He left this position in September 1947 to enter Texas A. & M. College where he received his B. S. Degree in 1950. In 1955 he received his Master of Education degree from Texas A. & M. College.
He came to Hearne in July 1950 to teach in the Vocation Agriculture Department of Hearne High School and was later made head of this department.
He was married to Miss Jimmie Belvin of Houston, Texas, January 24, 1941 and Mr. and Mrs. Tomlin have two children; a son, Charles Dean Tomlin; and a daughter, Judy Lorraine Tomlin.
Leon James Tomlin is a member of Grace Methodist Church; former Secretary-Treasurer of the Hearne Lions Club; Past Director of the Hearne Chamber of Commerce; Past President of the Robertson County Teachers Association; Honorary Lone Star Farmer; Past District President of the Vocational Agriculture Teachers Association; Charter Member of, the Texas Chapter of Alpha Zeta, a national agriculture society; Member of the State Board for Vocational Agriculture Instructors; and Sponsor of the National Honor Society at Hearne High School.
JOSEPH RUFUS JR.,
son of Joseph Rufus Turner and Elmira May Baxter Turner, was born
1910 at Franklin, Texas. His
parents were pioneer citizens of Robertson County.
He received his schooling in Franklin and was graduated from Franklin High School in 1930. He played on the basketball team while attending Franklin High School.
After graduating from high school he assisted his parents on their farm north of Franklin until 1934.
In 1934 he worked in the office and in the field for the Robertson County Farm Agent and continued this employment until 1936 when he moved to Kermit, Texas where he operated a service station and later worked at the Kermit post office.
In 1938 he moved to Caldwell, Texas where he was with the post office department as a Star Route Mail Carrier until 1942. At this time he went to work for the Gulf Oil Corporation at Port Arthur, Texas in the refinery, working in the machine department.
In 1944 he returned to his hometown of Franklin where he operated the wholesale agency for the Gulf Oil Corporation for judge A. G. Scott. In 1945 he moved to Hearne and accepted a position with the Culpepper Chevrolet Agency as an accountant and remained in this position until April 5, 1948 when he went to work in a clerical position for the City of Hearne. He was later appointed City Secretary for the City of Hearne.
He was married to Miss Florine Hart of Franklin, November 25, 1934, and he and Mrs. Turner have a daughter, Cindy Lou Turner, who was born September 14, 1954. Mrs. Turner is a teacher in the Hearne public schools.
He is a member of the Board of Stewards of Grace Methodist Church and is also Church Treasurer and a member of the Finance Committee; a former member of the Hearne Lions Club; and a member of the Golden Rule Masonic Lodge of Hearne.
Page Modified: 15 September 2014
Copyright © 2014-present by
Copyright © 2014-present byJane Keppler. This information may be used by individuals for their own personal use, libraries and genealogical societies. Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission from Jane Keppler. If material is copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information and please email me and let me know. Neither the Site Coordinators nor the volunteers assume any responsibility for the information or material given by the contributors or for errors of fact or judgment in material that is published at this website.