SAGHS Library Search

 

[Notify me of changes to this Page]

HOME

CALENDAR

NEWS

LIBRARY

 RESEARCH

GENEALOGY CLASSES  PUBLICATIONS

LINKS

OFFICERS

MEMBERSHIP

 FIRST  FAMILIES

 

BEXAR COUNTY CEMETERIES

View the Bexar County Cemeteries by Name:    A - F   G - M   N - Z

Cemeteries by Name:  G-M
Garcia – Est. by 1921
 

Location: Next to A. Casanova Cemetery in a complex of seven cemeteries bounded by Adkins Elmendorf Rd and Hwy. 181.
Published: Cemeteries of Bexar County, Vol. 3 (2006)
Map: Mapsco 720-C3
GPS: N29°16.382  W098°19.152
Notes: 50 marked graves as of March 2005
 

Gates of Heaven Memorial Gardens – Est 1962
Location: Weichold Road & Loop 1604
Records: (210) 359-6037 R.D. Woodard Sutton-Sutton Mortuary Inc.
Maps: SDHPT-I; F-586F7
Notes: African-American.
George
 
Location: 23312 South Hwy 281 (BCAD)
Owner: George Cem.- Hugo George heirs (BCAD)
Map: SDHPT-S; F-783A1
Notes: 0.36 acres (BCAD)
 
Gerfers – Est. by 1873
Location: Old Panther Springs Ranch, now Timberwood Park; off Blanco Rd S of Borgfeld Dr
Contact: C-Timberwood Development Co for permission to visit
Published: Our Heritage Vol 28:32 1986
Maps: USGS-SDHPT
 
Gonzales  – Est. by 1890
 

Location: Turn east at 15694 Henze Road and follow the road, turning left onto a paved lane where the road branches.  The cemetery is at the end of that lane
Published: Cemeteries of Bexar County, Vol. 3 (2006)
Map: Mapsco  718-C4
GPS: N29°15.890  W098°24.768
Notes: On property that was owned by Santos and Maria Petra Nucnio Gonzales; 67 marked graves as of June 2005
 

 

Grand United Order of Odd Fellows – Est. by 1890
Location: in City Cemetery #3, Corner of Montana and New Braunfels
Notes: abt 640 graves w/markers; active 1997. Burial place for African-Americans.

 

   Griego-Rodriguez: - Est. by 1886
 

Location:.in a nearly impenetrable thicket 164Ί south of the intersection of Potranco Road with Talley Road and about 0.5 miles from the intersection.
Map: Mapsco 611-C5
GPS: N29°25.473  W098°44.821
Published: Cemeteries of Bexar County, Texas, Vol. 4
Notes: Seven legible marked grave
 

Griffin – Est. by 1900
Location: Off Auburn Oaks and Tavern Oaks just inside the entrance to Oak Ridge Village subdivision.
Published: Bexar County Cemeteries-Vol 1 (1999)
Maps: F-518A8
Notes: Locked fence, must get permission and key to enter. Family records show 12 people buried in the cemetery, from 1900. Only 8 graves with markers now. This is the burial site of George Griffin, former slave, (1841-1904).
 
Groenke – Est. by 1883
Location: Old Groenke Ranch on W side Bulverde Rd in Charlie Staudt's pasture
Published: Our Heritage Vol 18:94 (1977)
Maps: SDHPS-C
Notes: 16 graves w/markers.
 
Grote – Est. by 1901
Location: Entry is on Lookout Road, about 0.8 miles north of intersection of 35N & 1604. The cemetery is on private property several hundred yards from Lookout and is enclosed by two locked fences.
Contact: Scott McGauvern (210)824-0293
Published: Bexar County Cemeteries-Volume 2 (2000)
Maps: Ferguson 520-B6
Notes: Established by Henry/Heinrich and Johanna Grote; 31 marked graves in 1999, earliest marked grave 1901. 1 acre.
 
Heerman (?)

Location: Applewhite area ???
Notes: Alfred Heerman grave here.
 

Heickman – Est. 29 Apr 1899
Location: On the south side of Heickman-Smith Road, 1.2 miles east of the intersection of Heickman-Smith Rds. with Somerset Rd.
Published: Bexar County Cemeteries-Vol 1 (1999)
Map: Ferguson-747C6
Notes: Est. as a German cemetery at meeting at Rambie Grove school house. Operated by a cemetery association, still active. 2 acres, 112 graves w/markers in Jan. 1999, earliest marked grave 1888.
 
Heidemann-Moreau – Est. by 1923
Location: In Indian Hills subdivision, near Leon Springs, in an island in the middle of Indian Hills Lane about 0.1 of a mile from Indian Hills Lane’s intersection with the western Interstate 10 access road.
Published: Bexar County Cemeteries-Vol 1, 1999
Map: Ferguson-447C6
Notes: Only 2 gravestones visible February 1999.
 
Heidemann, August – Est. by 1880
Location: West of Scenic Hills Estates in the south pasture of a ranch at 26090 Toutant Beauregard Road.
Published: Bexar County Cemeteries-Vol I  (1999)
Map: Ferguson-446B7
Notes: Private family cemetery with 7 graves in Feb. 1999.
 
Heimsath (?) :

Location: W side of White Rd just N of pond on San Geronimo Creek ???
 

 Helotes – Est. by 1895
 

Location:.On Leslie Rd., just south of Zion Lutheran Church Cemetery #1, about Ό mile from Leslie’s intersection with Braun Rd.
Published: Cemeteries of Bexar County, Vol. 3 (2006)
Map: Mapsco 546-E5
GPS: N29°32.026  W098°41.162
Notes: 16 marked graves as of July 2005.
 

Helotes Catholic -- est by 1911
Location: On the north side of Highway 16 (Bandera Road) about 4.1 miles west of Highway 16's intersection with 1604.
Map: Ferguson
Contact: Our Lady of Guadalupe Church (210)695-8791
Notes: Owned by Our Lady of Guadalupe Church in Helotes. About 200 marked graves as of March 2000, earliest dated 1911.
 
Helotes/Zion Lutheran -- est by 1880
Location: on Leslie off 1604 just S of Braun Rd
Maps: SDHPT-G
Notes: About 400 graves.
 
Herber (?) est -- 

Location: ???
 

Hermann Sons (Harmonia Lodge #1): - Est. by 
 

Location:.In San Antonio’s Eastside Cemetery Complex, bounded by South Monumental, Center, North Palmetto and Paso Hondo streets.
Map: Mapsco 617-C5
GPS: N29°42.130  W098°46.568
Published: Cemeteries of Bexar County, Texas, Vol. 4
Notes: 90 marked graves in January 2006.
 Hermann Sons (Lodge #157) – Est. by 1904
 

Location: In Converse, on the south side of 1516 just west of the traffic signal at 1516 and Schaefer.
Published: Cemeteries of Bexar County, Vol. 3 (2006)
Map: Mapsco 586-E1
GPS: N29°30.281  W098°18.346
Notes: 159 marked graves as of fall 2001
 

Hermann Sons (Lodge 198) -- est by 1892:
Location: Southeast of Macdona; on Aliann Drive, between Macdona-Lacosta Road and 1604.
Published: Bexar County Cemeteries-Vol 1 (1999)
Maps: Ferguson-678E5
Notes: 145 graves in Feburary 1999. Still active.
 
Hermano (?)
 

 
Hernandez – Est. by 1891
 

Location: In a clump of trees in a field about Ό mile east of the house at 14150 Quisenberry Rd.
Published: Cemeteries of Bexar County, Vol. 3 (2006)
Map: Mapsco 714-D2
GPS: N29°17.001  W098°36.002
Notes: Seven marked graves as of March 2005
 

 

Herrera

Location: 0 Cemetery (BCAD)
Owner: Juan P. & Otillia D. Herrera
Map: F-683D4 (same quadrant as Espada)
Notes: 2.26 acres (BCAD)
 

 Herrera – Est. by 1928
 

Location:.On Leal Rd., immediately south of Herrera-Martinez Cemetery on the southeast corner of Martinez-Losoya and Leal Rds.
Published: Cemeteries of Bexar County, Vol. 3 (2006)
Map: Mapsco 717-C8
GPS: N29°14.378  W098°28.014
Notes: 16 marked graves as of April 2005

 
Herrera-Martinez – Est. by 1899

 
Location:.On Leal Rd., immediately north of Herrera Cemetery on the southeast corner of Martinez-Losoya and Leal Rds.
Published: Cemeteries of Bexar County, Vol. 3 (2006)
Map: Mapsco 717-C8
GPS: N29°14.370  W098°28.016
Notes: 21 marked graves as of April 2005
 

 
Herrera/Ruiz - see Ruiz-Herrera
 

 
Herritage – Est. by 1878
 

Location: At 10322 Moursund Blvd. on property owned by Steelhead Co.
Published: Cemeteries of Bexar County, Vol. 3 (2006)
Map: Mapsco 682-D5
GPS: N29°18.891  W098°30.150
Notes: Two marked graves as of June 2005
 

Hobrecht – Est. by 1890
 

Location: In a fenced enclosure in a pasture at 15107 Stuart Rd., just south of Stuart’s intersection with Elmendorf-La Vernia Rd.
Published: Cemeteries of Bexar County, Vol. 3 (2006)
Map: Mapsco 721-A3
GPS: N29°16.248  W098°17.234
Notes: Nine identifiable graves
 

Holy Cross Catholic  -- est: 1962

 

Location: 17501 Nacogdoches, NE of 1604
Records/Contact: (210) 651-6011
Maps: SDHPT-F
Notes: Owned by San Antonio Catholic Archdiocese; 4,700 burials a/o Oct. 1997.
 
Holy Spirit and Mary Immaculate Convent – Est. 1987
Location: 301 Yucca
Records/Contact:
Maps: SDHPT-M* F-617*?
Notes: Relocated from the 600 block of Yucca to 301 Yucca on convent grounds in 1987.  At that time 76 sisters of the Holy Spirit were buried there plus "friends." (SA Express-News 7/23/87)
 
Holy Trinity Catholic Church - see Ruiz Herrera
 

 
Hooker (?)
Location: ???
 
Hunt Lane  – See San Ramon


 

Hurst grave

Location: In a vacant lot on Judson Road, about 200 feet west of Judson’s intersection with Independence.
Published: Cemeteries of Bexar County, Vol. 3 (2006)
Map: Mapsco 553-D1
GPS: N29°33.701  W098°21.702
Notes: Single grave
 

Hutcheson: - Est. by 1871
 

Location:.In a pasture about half a mile south of Macdona-Lacosta Road
Map: Mapsco 677-C5
GPS: N29°19.168  W098°44.723
Published: Cemeteries of Bexar County, Texas, Vol. 4
Notes: One identifiable grave as of December 2005
 
Incarnate Word Convent -- est:

Location: on Incarnate Word College campus - 4301 Broadway
 

Independent Order of Odd Fellows – Est. 1855
 
Location: S part of block bounded by Pine, Crockett, Monumental and Paso Hondo
Records/Contact: copy of interment records at San Antonio Public Library; Lodge (210) 923-4491
Notes: abt 900 graves w/markers, earliest 1847; active.
 
Keefer  (?)
 

 
Keilman
Location: 78342 Presa St (BCAD)
Owner: Rudolph & Elizabeth Keilman Cemetery
Maps: SDHPT-L; F-651D8
Notes: 0.26 acres (BCAD)
 
Kempin – Est. by 1892
Location: On Ware-Seguin Rd, W of 1518, N of I-10, in Shertz.
Published: Bexar County Cemeteries-Vol 1 (1999)
Maps: Ferguson-587F3
Notes: Established on former farm of Otto Kempin. Six graves w/markers.
 
Kerr – Est.by 1862
Location: Kerr Cemetery is behind Woodland Cemetery. Entrance to both cemeteries is via a lane that begins on the west side of Pleasanton about 0.1 of a mile north of Pleasanton’s intersection with 2537.  In Feb. 1999, it was marked by a small "Cemetery" sign
Published: Bexar County Cemeteries-Vol 1 (1999)
Maps: Ferguson-716E6
Notes: Land for the Kerr family cemetery was donated by William Henry Kerr.    9 marked graves as of February 1999.
 
Kicaster (?)

Location: on road off Sulphur Springs Rd east of 1604 ???
 

Kincaid -- est. by 1858
Location: Universal City golf course near the 13th fairway.
Published : Cemeteries of Bexar County, Texas, Volume 2 (2000)
Notes: All gravestones have disappeared and only the remnants of a fence and some sunken spots mark the location of the cemetery. Five of its graves have been identified. It has been designated as a "Historical Cemetery" by the Texas Historical Commission.
 
Kinney: See Barker Cemetery

Klempke Graves
 
 
 
Location:.In a field behind the house at 21835 Senior Road
Map: Mapsco 747-F6
GPS: N29°11.886  W098°37.669
Published: Cemeteries of Bexar County, Texas, Vol. 4
Notes: Two graves, earliest 1860.

 
 
Knights of Pythias, St. Elmo Lodge No. 25  – Est. by 1899
Location: Montana St in City Cemetery #3
Notes: abt 120 burials w/markers; African-American burials

 
Knights of Pythias – Est. 1889

 
 
Location: in block bounded by Palmetto, Commerce, N Braunfels & Montana
Notes: abt 450 graves w/markers, earliest 1888; active; designated a city cemetery 30 Mar 1978-Ordinance 9196

 
Lee  – Est.by 1884

 
 
Location: On the Lee ranch just east of Grey Forest. Entrance is via a locked gate at the end of Park Drive.
Maps: Ferguson-512-E1
Published: Bexar County Cemeteries-Volume 2 (2000)
Notes: Located on private property and permission must be obtained to visit the cemetery. 20 marked graves, earliest dated 1884; several unidentifiable graves.

 
Leesch-Uecker/Vecker - Est. by 1859

 
 
Location: E side Bulverde Rd in Charlie Straudt's pasture
Published: Our Heritage-Vol 19:80-81 (1978)
Maps: SDHPT-C
Notes: 20 graves w/markers a/o 1978

 
   Leon Springs – Est. by 1930

 
Location: In The Dominion, off of Interstate 40-North.
Published: Cemeteries of Bexar County, Vol. 3 (2006)
Map: Mapsco 479-F1
GPS: N29°49.375  W098°37.481
Notes: 12 marked graves as of March 2005, at least 35 graves marked by field stones and now illegible concrete headstones.

 
Lessing – Est. by 1878

 
 
Location: In a field near the intersection of Macdona-LaCosta Road & Cagnon Road.
Published: Bexar County Cemeteries-Vol 1 (1999)
Maps: Ferguson-678A3
Notes: Owned by Mr. & Mrs. Joe Marchiori who, in 1998, were in the process of donating 10 acres of their land, including the cemetery to the Catholic Archdiocese for a church building.  18 marked graves as of April 1998.

 
Lieck – Est. by 1900

 
 
Location:.On F.M. 1516, about 1.3 miles south of Interstate 10.
Abstracted: July 2005
Map: Mapsco 611-D5
GPS: N29°25.467  W098°44.008
Notes: Five marked graves
 


 

Lockehill -- Est. about 1886
 

 
Location: Southwest corner of Huebner and Fredricksburg Roads.
Contact: Mission Burial Park-North, (210) 698-5252
Map: Mapsco 548-F4
Published: Our Heritage, Vol. 42, Nos. 3 & 4 (Spring & Summer 2001) page 26
Notes: About 450 graves, 2 acres.  Established by the Locke family cemetery and given to a Methodist Church.  When the church moved, the cemetery reverted back to the Locke family, which sold it to Mission in exchange for lots available so the cemetery would have perpetual care.

 
Loma China – Est. by 1933:

 
 
Location: W side of S Zarzarmora less than 1 mile S of 410
Published: Bexar County Cemeteries-Vol 1 (1999)
Maps: Ferguson-681F6
Notes: 40 marked graves, many more unmarked graves. Poorly maintained, lots of trash dumping, long grass, weeds, indications of vandalism. Active.

 
Lorant-Lorenz – Est. by 1911

 
 
Location: Between tennis court for Chateaux Dijon North Apts., 7731 Broadway, and St. Anthony of Padua Cemetery. Can be seen from Nottingham, about halfway between Broadway and Peter Baque Street.
Published: Bexar County Cemeteries-Vol 1 (1999)
Maps: Ferguson-583B2
Notes: On what was once the farm of Louis and Elivra Lorenz. Nine graves
 


 

Losoya  -- See Ville del Carmen
 

 
Lutheran (old) – Est. 1866
 
Location: E half of block bounded by Monumental, Potomac, Palmetto & Center
Records: computerized by St. John's Lutheran Church (210) 226-2311
Surveyed/Published:
Notes: abt 1,272 graves w/markers, earliest 1860; active in 1997

 
Macdona   Could this be the same as Lessing Cemetery??
Location: 1 mile W of Macdona on Macdona/Lacosta/Lessing Rd.
 

 
Madla (@Medla, Media, Medio) -- est:by 1887

 
 
Location: North of Helotes, off of Scenic Loop just north of Chimenea Creek
Contact: Juanita Madla, 17589 Scenic Loop #2, Helotes TX 78023
Published: Bexar County Cemeteries-Vol 2 (2000)
Maps: Ferguson 512-D3
Notes: On private property; permission must be obtained to visit. On land settled by Mathias & Constantina Kral Madla. About 125 identifiable marked graves as of October 1999; many graves that cannot be identified.
 


 

Mangus (?) -- Est:
 

 
Mann’s Crossing – See McCulloch Cemetery
 

 
Marianist Cemetery – See Society of Mary Cemetery
 

 
Martinez

 
 
Location: 0 Leal Road (BCAD); Appears to be adjacent to Villa Del Carmen.
Owner: Ofelio H. & Antonia Martinez Cemetery (BCAD)
Map: F-717C8
Notes: 0.544 acres (BCAD)

 
Martinez-Hermann ???

 
 
Location: ???
 


 

McCullough – Est. by 1855

 
 
Location: On a bluff overlooking the Medina River on the southwest side of the river and the north side of Old Pearsall Road.
Contact: Rose Lee Collins, 8534 Old Pearsall Rd., San Antonio TX 78252
Published: Bexar County Cemeteries-Vol 1 (1999)
Maps: Ferguson-679-B6
Notes: Donated to Medina Baptist Church, now Somerset Baptist Church, for use as a cemetery by the McCulloch family. Sam McCulloch, a Texas War veteran, is buried here. The church moved, abandoning the cemetery, which also was known for a time as Mann's Crossing Cemetery. It has been cleaned up since it was abstracted in January 1998 and 15 unmarked graves have been identified and marked. It has been awarded a Historical Marker by the Texas History Commission.. 54 graves now identified, earliest dated 1855. 0.5 acres (BCAD)
 


 

Meadowlawn Memorial Park – Est. about 1850

 
 
Location: 5611 E. Houston St.
Records/Contact: Craig Cates (210) 661-3991
Surveyed: By Beth Forsen & Janey Joyce on 2/26/98.
Maps: SDHPT-M
Notes: According to Cates, German settlers in area originally established a Sons of Herman Cemetery in that location around 1850; Meadowlawn bought existing cemetery plus additional land in 1963. Nearly 7,000 burials since 1963. Some maps list it as Meadowlark Cemetery, which is incorrect. We saw about 100 old graves, earliest apparently 1905, in Founders Garden area of the cemetery in Feb. 1998.

 
Menchaca
 

 
Location: On Menchaca Road, about 0.4 miles from Menchaca's intersection with Scenic Loop Road.
Maps: Ferguson 512-E3
Published: Cemeteries of Bexar County Vol 2 (2000)
Notes: In very poor shape when abstracted in February 2000. 12 identifiable graves, several graves that cannot be identified.
 


 

Menchaca-Robles -- Est. about 1850

 
Location: On the Robles Ranch. Entrance to the ranch is on the north side of Babcock Road, about 5.45 miles from Babcock's intersection with 1604 and about 0.35 of a mile from Babcock's intersection with Scenic Loop Road.
Maps: Ferguson 478-F
Contact: Roger Robles, 13114 Brook Garden Lane, San Antonio, TX 78232
Published: Cemeteries of Bexar County -Vol 2 (2000)
Notes: Permission to visit the cemetery must be obtained from Roger Robles. The cemetery was established by Miguel and Clemencia Menchaca. It has 15 identifiable marked graves, the earliest dated 1890

 
 
Mission Funeral Park-North – Est. 1959

 
 
Location: 20900 I-10 West, next to the Dominion
Records/Contact: Office (210) 698-5252
Maps: SDHPT-E
Note: 6,642 buried there as of Oct. 1, 1997

 
Mission Funeral Park-South – Est. 1907

 
 
Location: 1700 SE Military Dr.
Records: Office-(210) 924-4242; newer records computerized; older records not.
Maps: SDHPT-L
Notes: Owned by the Tips family; 48,386 people buried there as of 14 Aug. 1997.
 


 

Mitchell (?)
 

 
Location: S of Mitchell Lake ???
 


 

Missionary Servants of St. Anthony – Est. 1938
 

 
Location: In San Antonio on the grounds of the Missionary Servants of St. Anthony convent, located on Peter Baque Street between Nottingham and St. Anthony of Padua Church. The cemetery is behind the building marked Padua Place, 80 Peter Baque, and can be seen, but not accessed, from Nottingham. It is adjacent to the Lorenz family cemetery.
Records/Contact: Convent – (210) 824-4553
Surveyed: Janey Joyce 23, Jan 1998.
Maps: SDHPT-I; F-583
Notes: 26 graves as of 23 Jan 1998; earliest The Rev. Peter M. Baque, founder of Missionary Servants of  St. Anthony, who died in 1938; the rest appear to be sisters. Mother Teresa Edwards, foundress of the order and Marian Koogller McNay, a Adjacent to Lorenz family cemetery. Priests of Padua Place. Padua Place is a home for infirm and retired priests.
 


 

Monte de las Cruces -- See Wildflower Memorial Park.
 

 
 Moos, John
 
 
 
Location: Was located on UTEX Blvd., near Interestate 10 and Loop 1604.  Graves were moved to
Lockehill-Selma Cemetery, Fredericksburg & Huebner Roads, in February 2004 to make way for
construction of a building. 
Notes: 8 identified graves.
 

 
Morales – Est. by 1890

 
Location: Surrounded by stone wall; it  is adjacent to Garcia Cemetery in a complex of seven cemeteries bounded by
Adkins Elmendorf Rd and Hwy. 181.
Published: Cemeteries of Bexar County, Vol. 3 (2006)
Map: Mapsco 720-C3
GPS: N29°16.372  W098°19.162
Notes: 13 marked graves as of March 2005
 
 
Morales -- Est by 1888

 
Location: Entrance is on the north side of Highway 16 (Bandera Road), about 7.6 miles from the intersection of l6 with 1604
Maps: Ferguson-512-E3
Notes: This cemetery is incorrectly identified as Lee Cemetery on some state highway maps. It is located on private land and permission   must be obtained to visit it. It was established by Juan Andreas Morales and his wife, Rosa/Rosita Rodriguez  Morales who came to this country from Mexico in 1864 and obtained a land grant for 160 acres in Bexar County The cemetery has about 50 graves with identifiable markers and many graves that do not have identifiable markers. The earliest marked grave is dated 1888.
 


 

   Morales, M.B. – Est by 1920

Location: On the northeast end of a complex of seven cemeteries bounded by Adkins Elmendorf Rd and Hwy. 181; its entrance faces Hwy. 181.
Published: Cemeteries of Bexar County, Vol. 3 (2006)
Map: Mapsco 720-C3
GPS: N29°16.386  W098°19.130
Notes: 21 marked graves as of March 2005
 

Moreau -- See Heideman-Moreau Cemetery

 

Mount Olive – Est. by 1866

 
Location: 3469 Mt Olive Rd, just off Loop 107 off of Hwy 87 between Adkins & Sayers
Published: Our Heritage Vol 3:76-77, 104-106 & Vol 4:12-13 (1962)
Maps: SDHPT-N
Notes: abt 112 graves w/markers a/o 1962. Four acres deeded for cemetery purposes by Wm. McElwees in 1875. 1.92 acres (BCAD
 
 


 

View the Bexar County Cemeteries by Name:    A - F   G - M   N - Z

       

 

Best Viewed with IE6+ at 1024 x 768    San Antonio Genealogical and Historical Society    PO Box 790087 San Antonio TX 78279-0087
Telephone:   210-342-5242   Email: 
saghs@sbcglobal.net