Fluvanna is at the junction of Farm roads 612, 1267, and 2350, sixty-six miles southeast of Lubbock in northwestern Scurry County. Named for a surveyor's home county in Virginia, Fluvanna was established by realty promoters who knew that the Roscoe, Snyder and Pacific Railway would terminate at its site. By the time the railroad arrived in 1908, the townsite had already been staked off and lots put on sale. It boomed briefly and by 1911 had two real estate offices, a thirty-room hotel, a lumberyard, a cotton gin, and other businesses.
The community's population in 1915 was estimated at 500, and in 1920 and 1940, at 375. Fluvanna's importance lessened when major highways bypassed the area, and when the Roscoe, Snyder and Pacific closed the Fluvanna station in 1941, the town's days as a shipping center were over. In 1980 Fluvanna had a post office, an estimated population of 180, and at least four businesses. Its population in 1990 was still reported as 180.
Last Updated: February 17, 2012