Hermleigh is on U.S. Highway 84 ninety-six miles southeast of Lubbock in southeastern Scurry County. It was surveyed in 1907 on land donated by R. C. Herm and Harry W. Harlin, and the nearby community of Wheat moved to the new site. The new settlement was named Hermlin for the land donors, but postal officials objected to its similarity to Hamlin, the name of another Texas town. The Santa Fe Railroad reached Hermleigh in 1911, and the town became a trading center for area ranchers. For a time Hermleigh had its own newspaper, the Hermleigh Herald. During World War Iqv the town's name was temporarily changed to Foch in honor of the French general. Growth slowed during the Great Depression. In 1980 Hermleigh had a post office, at least five businesses, and an estimated population of 725. In 1990 the population was 200.
Last Updated: December 12, 2010