Starr County Historical
The Corpus Christi
Caller OCT 7 1883
”THE LOWER RIO GRANDE VALLEY
MAKES A TRIP”
with three others arrived in Rio Grande City, the county
seat of Starr, on the afternoon of September 29th, after
a twenty four hour ride in a coach from the Pena Station
on the Texas-Mexican railroad. Rio Grande City, which
has a population of about 2000 souls, principally Mexicans,
is seldom spoken of as Rio Grande City by the Mexicans on
the Rio Grande; they all call it Davis, the place having
been settled by H. Clay Davis in 1847, and known for some
time as Davis' ranch. The town is about 110 miles
from Brownsville, 120 miles from Laredo 140 miles from Monterey,
and 150 miles from Corpus Christi. There are 7 stores,
1 drug store, 2 schools, 2 churches-Catholic and Methodist,-2
lawyers, 1 doctor, 2 saloons and 1 hotel in the place.
The hotel is kept by Mr. Jolins Miller and his wife, who
set a good table. Mr. J. I. Nix is the postmaster;
Col. Sam Stewart is the deputy Collector of Customs of the
Brownsville district at this place. There is a two
story brick court house there, and Judge Russell holds two
terms of District Court yearly in it.
officers of Starr are: J. P. Kelsey, judge; Geo W.
Davis, sheriff; E. D. Davis, district clerk, Ernest Marks,
county clerk; Geo. Decker, treasurer; A. de la Pena, assessor;
Otto W. Brewerton, surveyor; Santana Cara, inspector.
The commissioners are Dr. T. W. Kennedy, James Clark, Ramon
Gonzales, and John Henderson. The population of the
county is between nine and ten thousand, mainly Mexicans
and Spaniards, whose occupation is principally stock raising,
though considerable attention is paid to farming in the
low lands along the river. The assessed wealth of
the county for 1883 is $1,961,812…
...Ringgold barracks, built
in 1869, are situated about one-half mile below Rio Grande
City. The buildings are fine brick structures.
A telegraph line, belonging to the government, connects
the post with Brownsville. They have a signal office
of Rio Grande City about four miles, on the Mexican side
of the river is the town of Camargo, a place of about 5000
people, and which has seen brighter days. In Camargo,
a Caller met Dr. Austin, C. De Luke and Dr. Alex M. Headley,
very courteous gentlemen. In Rio Grande City, the
writer met Messrs. D. J. Scott? and J. R. Monroe, a druggist
and a lawyer, two fine gentlemen who have settled in the
town during the last year. Also met J. R. Mix who
keeps the settler's store at Fort Ringgold, S. de la Pena,
who has about the finest drug store on the Rio Grande, Geo.
Decker who does a fine mercantile business, George Lewis,
who nearly everybody knows, Joseph Barthelow, custom house
inspector, Jose Mante?, H. L. King, Esq. Dr. T. W. Kennedy,
Geo. Davis, E. D. Davis, Otto W. Brewerton, Jas. Livingston,
Fred Oxburrow, Antonio Vizcaya, S. J. Stewart, H. G. Tachan,
and many other Rio Grande City people, and last but not
least, Mr. John P. Kelsey, the wealthy man of the county.
Mr. Kelsey was elected county judge of Starr at the last
election at a time when matters were serious in Starr.
He is getting county affairs in good shape again, it is
gratifying to say.
cry of the people of Rio Grande City is for a railroad or
some better facilities of transportation than what they
have now. The steam boat Lola D., which runs between
Rio Grande City and Brownsville and which is scheduled to
make two trips a month arrived, it is said, at Rio Grande
City Sept. 24th, for the first time in nearly three months.
The river is very crooked and shallow in places and the
steamer is continually getting aground. Goods arrived
by her which were three or four months on the way from Philadelphia
and New Orleans. The wagon road from Pena on the Texas-Mexican
to Rio Grande City is about 30 miles and most of the distance
a perfect sand bed. Cartmen dread such a road.
Perishable goods, such as apples, cabbages, and potatoes
always reach the place in a very bad state…
Return to Home Page
Return to News Index
This page was
last updated on -01/01/2013