Tarrant County, TXGenWeb
Inventoried July 1996 by Penny Brewer Blankinship and Neva Bowles
Benbrook Cemetery, established in 1885, is located in the City of Benbrook on Mercedes Street just west of Winscott Road. Within the boundaries enclosed by the fence are actually two cemeteries, but you'll not find any sign of boundaries between them. To make way for residential development, Howard Cemetery (aka Howard Family Graveyard) was relocated in 1955 from an area in southwest Fort Worth now known as Tanglewood. It's new home was a small strip of land adjoining the eastern edge of Benbrook Cemetery. Outside the fence, there is not one sign identifying Benbrook Cemetery, however there is sign for Howard Cemetery beside the gate that enters that corner of the complex.
In 1949, the Corp of Engineers relocated graves from five cemeteries to Merinda Seminary Graveyard to clear the way for the construction of Benbrook Lake. Those cemeteries were: Day, Hunter, January, Muhlinghause and Mustang. Two others that were being considered were Maples Grave and Gilliland Cemetery. Maples was never found and Gilliland was determined to be above the maximum flood line and therefore never moved. Click on these links for more information obtained from the Corp of Engineers.
Today, Benbrook Cemetery is operated and maintained by the City of Benbrook.
We would like to thank Andy Wayman, Director of Public Works, who was extremely
supportive in supplying the plot map and aerial photograph, and in allowing
the use of city records to complete this project.
Three veterans of the War Between the States have been idenifiied in this inventory. James M. Benbrook, a Union soldier, is in Section A, Lot 2. Confederate veterans, John B. Hunter and Frederick S. Beat are in Section E, Lots 7 and 151, respectively.
This page was last modified 23 Feb 2003.
Copyright © Tarrant County, TXGenWeb 2003. All rights reserved