Originally known as Fanning Burying Grounds, it became the
Sweet Chapel Cemetery when ownership was transferred to the Sweet Chapel
Methodist Church. The chapel there has since vanished and the name
has been shortened to Chapel Cemetery.
Located east of Alliance Airport in far north Tarrant County, on Denton Hwy
one mile north of Keller-Haslet Road at the Denton County line. There are
about 110 burials there.
It was established by John A. and Rhoda Raibourn Fanning, Mitchel and Eliny
Jane Raibourn, and Thomas Raibourn. The first burial was in 1856. The Mount
Olivet Cemetery Association now operates this private cemetery with burial
rights granted only to relatives of those already buried there.
Recorded in Texas Cemetery Records: Tarrant County, volume
11, pages 1-5, by DAR. Available at the Fort Worth Public Library.
Recorded in Cemeteries of Northeast Tarrant County, Texas,
pages 74-76, by Evelyn D'Arcy Cushman. Available at the Texas State
Library, Dallas Public Library, Allen County Public Library and at the Fort
Worth Public Library. Also available through a Family History Center from
the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Recorded in Abandoned Pioneer Cemeteries of Northeast Tarrant Co.
Texas, pages 75-79, by M.E. Patterson. Available in the Fort Worth