|Davenport Family Cemetery
aka Old Pioneer Cemetery
Matthew Watson Deavenport came to Tarrant County, Texas
about 1852. On October 10, 1864, he patented a
160-acre tract along the north side of present-day John
McCain road, west of its intersection with State Highway 26
and east of Pleasant Run-White’s Chapel Road.
Community old timers in northeast Tarrant County have
reported the existence of a Deavenport Cemetery, now
obliterated by development and road building, which lay
along the west side of Carroll Avenue just north* of
Primrose Lane. The cemetery at one time held the
visible graves of four adults and one child.
Mr. J. M. Newton, whose father once owned the property and
maintained the plot, remembered reading the name
“Deavenport” or “Davenport” on the headstones. Tarrant
County deed records show that M. W. Deavenport owned a
portion of this survey (Francis Throop #1511) as late as
1877. The road originally curved around the plot which
was enclosed by a picket fence on which wild roses
grew. In 1936 when Carroll Avenue was widened, the
road was straightened and the cemetery was destroyed.
The county field survey map shows four graves labeled “Old
[The two paragraphs above were borrowed from Michael
War Veterans of Northeast Tarrant County, in the
biography written for Matthew Watson Deavenport, also on
* Another description of the location of this cemetery said
that it was in Southlake, Texas, on Carroll Avenue south
of Primrose Lane.
Recorded in Cemeteries of Northeast Tarrant
County, Texas, page 237, by Evelyn D'Arcy
Cushman. Available at the Texas State Library, Dallas Public
Library, Allen County Public Library and in the Fort Worth
Public Library. Also available through a Family History
Center from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.