Tarrant County TXGenWeb

William Trezevant, Jr.


Contributed by Max Hill
Assistant Manager, Local History\Genealogy Department, Fort Worth Public Library

William Trezevant, Jr. was born November 17, 1877, the son of William and Naomi Trezevant. William Sr., who worked as a laborer and expressman, was a resident of Fort Worth from at least 1878 until he died January 13, 1904. William, Jr. first married Helen Carpenter August 28, 1896 and remarried, March 18, 1907, to Polly Cox who died June 21, 1924. He began working as a porter at various Fort Worth saloons. The 1902-03 Fort Worth City Directory lists him as working at J. Z. Wheat & Company, owners of the Stag Saloon. In 1900, his father and mother bought land in the West View Addition area of Fort Worth. He continued to work as a porter for some of the finer saloons such as Thannisch & Sons, owners of the Stock Yards Club Saloon. Sometime around 1913, he operated his own "social club" for African-Americans on Rosedale Street near the Frisco tracks. By 1916, he operated the Colored Country Club located at 1120½ Harding which moved to 907½ Jones St. in 1926. He married Mrs. Katie L. Gilbert September 25th of the same year. The Club remained open until 1931 when it became an annex to the Delray Hotel. Trezevant was also president of the Texas-Oklahoma Baseball League from 1929-1931. He continued to reside in the area which became known as Trezevant Hill, the Trezevant Sub-division of West View Addition, which was platted in July 1906. William Trezevant, Jr. died June 8, 1940.


This page was last modified 29 Dec 2004.

Copyright © Tarrant County TXGenWeb 2004. All rights reserved