Historical Markers in Tarrant County

Page 1
 

 

Alfred Madison Hightower

Located in Smithfield Cemetery, 6600 Smithfield Rd., North Richland Hills.

Alfred M. Hightower came to Smithfield from Illinois with his family in 1858 and became a rancher. When the debate over secession arose, Hightower opposed it, but when the Civil War began, he sided with the South. As a mounted rifleman in the Confederate Army, Hightower fought in many battles, including Elkhorn Tavern (Pea Ridge) in Arkansas, one of the biggest battles west of the Mississippi. After the War, he relocated to Kansas during the 1870s, but returned here in 1880 and continued ranching until his death. Nearby Hightower Street is named in his honor. (1991)

 

Amon G. Carter

Located at 400 W. 7th, Fort Worth.

Born in Wise County, Texas, on December 11, 1879, Amon Giles Carter left home at an early age and worked at a variety of odd jobs around the country before his arrival in Fort Worth in 1905. Carter became the advertising manager of the "Fort Worth Star", which published its first issue on February 1, 1906. Thus began a career in journalism that by 1925 had taken him to the position of president and publisher of the "Fort Worth Star-Telegram," the newspaper with the largest circulation in Texas for many years. Carter's involvement in a wide variety of interests left its mark on many Texas institutions. In 1921, he authorized the purchase of equipment that resulted in the establishment of WBAP Radio in Fort Worth. An aviation enthusiast, Carter brought numerous early aviators to Fort Worth to demonstrate their skills and helped attract aviation industry to the area. His promotion of Fort Worth and the entire West Texas region attracted widespread attention. Much of the fortune he earned in oil was sent on philanthropic interests, including establishment of the Amon Carter Museum as a gift to Fort Worth. Amon G. Carter died in Fort Worth on June 23, 1955, and is buried in Greenwood Cemetery. (1985)

 

Billy Muth

Located in Greenwood Cemetery, 3100 White Settlement Rd., Fort Worth.

William McKinley (Billy) Muth (1902-1949) made significant contributions to Texas' cultural history. Born in Allentown, Pennsylvania, Muth was a church organist at the age of nine. Nationally known as "the master of the keyboard," Muth was organist at Casa Manana during the 1936 Texas Centennial, the Worth Theatre, multi-instrument Fort Worth symphony musician and church organist. A Paramount/Publix Theatres' pipe organist, Muth opened theatres across the United States. Settling in Texas in 1926, Muth performed concerts, benefits, and taught statewide organ and music seminars. Recorded - 2001

 

Dr. Lilburn Howard Colley

Located at Colleyville City Hall, 5400 Bransford Road, Colleyville.

A veteran of the Union Army during the Civil War, Dr. L. H. Colley (1843-1924) and his wife, Martha Sabrina (Fowks) (1860-1914), migrated from Missouri to Texas in 1880. They settled in Bransford Community in 1885, where Dr. Colley became a respected physician and an election official for the Pleasant Run School District. In 1914, when Walter G. Couch opened a grocery store in a two-room building near the Colleys' home, Dr. Colley suggested naming the area Colleyville. The community has grown to include Bransford, Old Union, Pleasant Glade, Pleasant Run and Spring Garden. (1983)

 

Dr. Riley Andrew Ransom

Located in New Trinity Cemetery, near Beach St. entrance, 4001 NE 28th, Haltom City.

A native of Kentucky, Riley Andrew Ransom studied medicine at Louisville National Medical College. Upon coming to Gainesville, Texas, during the early 1900s, he opened the Booker T. Washington Sanitarium. In 1918 Dr. Ransom moved the hospital to Fort Worth, where he served as Chief Surgeon until the facility closed in 1949. He is remembered for his community leadership and for his significant contributions to the development of health care in Fort Worth.

 

Earle C. Driskell

Located 1/4 mile south of FM 157 & SH 496 intersection on east side of road, Mansfield.

Born in Indiana in 1883, Earle Claud Driskelll came to Texas with his parents in 1888. Educated as a lawyer, he started his journalism career in 1907 when he joined the staff of the Fort Worth "Star". He soon gained recognition for his work as an advocate of a county bond program to improve the quality of local roads and highways. Largely through his editorial efforts, a major road bond package was passed in 1911 that set an example for other state and local highway programs. Driskell died of smallpox at his Fort Worth home the following year. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986.

 

Eli Smith

Located in Smithfield Cemetery, 6600 Smithfield Road, North Richland Hills.

A native of Missouri, Eli Smith moved to Texas in 1859 with his parents. They settled in this part of Tarrant County, and in 1868 Smith married Sarah J. Hightower. About 1876 Smith donated part of his farmland to the community, then known as Zion, for a Methodist church and cemetery. Residents of the area honored Smith for his generosity and community service by renaming the settlement Smithfield. Smith remained an active Mason and a successful farmer until his sudden death shortly before his thirty-first birthday. He is buried at this site.

 

Elisha Adam Euless

Located at 201 North Ector Drive, Euless.

Elisha Adam Euless (1848-1911) migrated to Texas in 1867 from Bedford county, Tennessee and settled in Tarrant county. In July 1870 Euless married Judy Ann Trigg, also a Tennessee native. He began farming and bought land in 1871. Euless was elected a Tarrant county constable in 1876. In March 1879 Euless purchased 170 acres in the area known as Woodlawn from his mother-in-law, Mary Ann Trigg. The land included a two-story grange hall built in 1877. The first floor was used as a community school and by the local Methodist and Presbyterian churches. The Grange used the top floor. Euless prospered as a farmer and produced considerable amounts of cotton and corn. In 1881 he bought 80 acres where a cotton gin stood. The community that grew around the cotton gin and the Grange Hall came to be called Euless. A post office, mistakenly named Euless, opened there in 1886. Euless was elected Tarrant county sheriff for two terms, serving from 1892 to 1896. He was the first sheriff to occupy the courthouse completed in 1895. He later returned to the town of Euless, then moved back to Fort Worth where he died in 1911 and was buried in the Oakwood Cemetery. (1996)

 

Ephraim Merrill Daggett

Located at the corner of 9th & Houston, Fort Worth.

Canadian born Ephraim Merrill Daggett was reared on a farm in Indiana. He traded with the Indians at Fort Dearborn (Chicago) in the early 1830s then moved to Shelby County, Republic of Texas, in 1838. There he and his family became involved in the East Texas Regulator-Moderator feud (1839-1844). He later served as a Captain in the Mexican War of 1846. While serving as State Legislator from Shelby County (1851-53), he established a mercantile business and a hotel in the frontier town of Fort Worth. In 1854 he moved his family here and soon thereafter began purchasing large tracts of Tarrant County real estate. Daggett used his influence as a former legislator to help secure Fort Worth's selection as County Seat in 1860. After serving as Brigadier General during the Civil War, he engaged in the mercantile and cattle business in Fort Worth. In 1873 Daggett's likeness was chosen to adorn the City's first seal. His role in bringing the Texas & Pacific Railroad here in 1876, developing a downtown district, and in helping transform Fort Worth from an abandoned military post to a center of commerce earned Daggett reknown as "The Father of Fort Worth". He is buried in the City's Pioneer's Cemetery. (1993)

 

Euday Lewis Bowman

Located in Oakwood Cemetery, 700 Grand Ave., Fort Worth.

Fort Worth native Euday Bowman was a ragtime composer. His best-known song was the classic "12th Street Rag," which he wrote about his experiences in Kansas City, Kansas. Copyrighted in 1914, it did not become popular until 1948 when it was recorded by Walter "Pee Wee" Hunt. Other songs written by Bowman, including "Fort Worth Blues," were never published. He died of pneumonia while on a business trip to New York City in 1949. (1988).

 

General Edward H. Tarrant

Located in Pioneer Rest Cemetery, 626 Samuels Avenue, Fort Worth.

South Carolina native Edward H. Tarrant enlisted in the Kentucky Militia in 1814 and served under Gen. Andrew Jackson in the Battle of New Orleans. Moving to Tennessee after 1816, he was elected Colonel of the Henry County Militia and served as County Sheriff. Tarrant arrived in Texas in November 1835, settling in Red River County. He served in the Republic of Texas Congress and became a Brigadier General in the Texas Militia in 1839. He commanded the Texas Rangers at the Battle of Village Creek in present Tarrant County in 1841 and, with George W. Terrell, negotiated treaties with many of the Texas Indian tribes at Bird's Fort in 1843. Tarrant represented Bowie County at the Annexation Convention of 1845. By February 1846, he had moved to Navarro County, where he became Chief Justice and was elected to the 3rd and 4th Texas Legislatures. In the 1850s, Tarrant commanded a force of Texas Rangers defending the frontier at Fort Belknap. He died in Parker County in 1858 and was buried there. The next year, his remains were moved to his farm in Ellis County. In 1928, his body was reinterred here by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. Tarrant County, created in 1849, was named in his honor.

 

General Edward H. Tarrant

Located on north side of Pioneer Pkwy., 1/10 mile west of Green Oaks, Arlington.

In this vicinity May 24, 1841 General Edward H. Tarrant with 70 men attacked several indian villages situated along a creek (now called Village Creek) and recovered many horses and much stolen plunder. 12 Indians were killed and many wounded. Of the Texans Captain John B. Denton was killed. Captains Henry Stout and Griffin were wounded.

 

General H.P. Mabry

Located in Trinity Park, 2900 Crestline, Fort Worth.

A Georgian. Came to Texas 1851. Admitted to bar. Texas Legislator 1856-60. With Confederate expedition capturing Forts Washita and Arbuckle, Indian Territory, April-May 1861. June 1861 joined 3rd Tex. Cav. Helped win Wilson's Creek battle, in campaign to keep Missouri in Confederate fold. Late 1861 scouted U.S. Gen. Fremont's Army, Springfield, Mo. Had arm shattered in Bowie knife fray with 7 out to take him as spy. Led regiment at Pea Ridge, Ark., March 1862. At Luka, Miss., Sept. 1862, lost a third of unit, was shot 3 times and was taken captive. Back of Marker: Exchanged at Vicksburg late 1862, Mabry refused to sign parole until slur on Confederacy was removed. In command of Mississippi Cavalry, led patrols repulsing Federals from rich Yazoo Valley breadbasket 1863-64. Guarded food, forage for supplying Confederacy. Commanded Calvary that took, dismantled, burned U.S. Gunboat "Petrel" on Yazoo River. Attached to Gen. Forrest's Division, helped bottle enemy in Memphis, formed rear guard for offensives, destroyed Sherman communications, fought pitched battles. Spies would report Mabry's horsemen in 3 different spots hundreds of miles apart on same day. Assigned to move Texas cattle, men, supplies across tightly guarded Mississippi River. 1866 was elected District Judge, but removed by Radical Reconstruction authorities. 1879-1885 practiced law Fort Worth. Buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Jefferson.

 

General Thomas N. Waul, C.S.A.

Located in Oakwood Cemetery, 700 Grand Ave., Fort Worth.

A native of South Carolina, Thomas Neville Waul (1813?-1903) practiced law in Mississippi before moving to Texas in 1850. After serving the Provisional Confederate Congress and signing the 1861 Confederate constitution, he organized Waul's Texas Legion, C.S.A. Waul led the Texans in Mississippi during 1862 and 1863, participating in the defense of Vickburg. He led a brigade in the Red River campaign of 1864 at Mansfield, La., and Jenkins' Ferry, Ark. Waul returned to Texas in 1865 and resumed the practice of law. He died near Greenville and was buried at this site

 

General William Jenkins Worth (1794-1849)

Located across from Hotel Texas/Radisson in the park, 800 Main St., Fort Worth.

During the War of 1812, William Jenkins Worth, a native of Hudson, New York, was aide-de-camp to Generals Morgan Lewis and Winfield Scott. Severely wounded at Lundy's Lane, Worth remained in the Army after the war and later served as Commandant of Cadets at West Point, 1820-28. In 1832 he fought in Illinois against the Sac and Fox Indians, led by Black Hawk. Involved in defenses along the Canadian border in the 1830s, Worth also participated in the removal of Cherokee Indians from the Southeastern United States. In 1842 Worth led an expedition against Florida Seminole Indians, defeating the last hostile band at Palaklakha Hammock. During the Mexican War, 1846-48, he fought with Zachary Taylor's forces at the Battle of Monterrey and received a Sword of Honor from Congress and a promotion to Major General. He was also a leader in the 1847 conquest of Mexico City. Worth died of cholera at San Antonio while serving as Commander of the Texas and New Mexico Military Districts. Although he never visited this area, a frontier post named in his honor, Fort Worth, was established here after his death. His grave in New York City is marked by a granite monument, fifty feet tall, at Broadway and Fifth Avenue.

 

Governor Charles A. Culberson

Located in Oakwood Cemetery, 700 Grand Ave., Fort Worth.

A native of Alabama, Charles A. Culberson grew up in Jefferson, Texas. He married Sallie Harrison (1861-1926) in 1882 after earning his law degree at the University of Virginia. During two terms as Attorney General of Texas, Culberson enforced the reform policies of Gov. James S. Hogg. He succeeded Hogg as Governor, 1895-99. Culberson served four terms in the United States Senate, winning the post of Democratic Minority Leader in 1907. Renowned for his knowledge of the law, he chaired the Senate Judiciary Committee from 1913-1919. (1979)

 

Hager Tucker (1842-1892)

Located in Oakwood Cemetery, 700 Grand Ave., Fort Worth.

Hager Tucker was the first African American policeman in Fort Worth, notible in 1870's Texas. Born into slavery, he came here from Kentucky in 1857 and was emancipated in 1865. One of the first African Americans in the county registered to vote, he was appointed a "Special Policeman" in 1873, partly through influence of former Master Wm. B. Tucker, then alderman. Hager was the only black on the force, one of few until the 1950's. Paid separately from other police, he could only patrol black neighborhoods. He served a short time, later working other jobs and eventually returning to the Wm. B. Tucker householdwith his wife Amy and three daughters. (2007) -- [Link to off-site Photo]

Contributed by Dale Hinz - dale.hinz@fortworthgov.org

 

J. E. Foust & Sons, Funeral Directors

Located at 523 Main, Grapevine.

John E. Foust (1861-1926) moved to Grapevine in 1880 and started a general merchandise store which stocked coffins. He gradually added other services and with the help of his wife Daisy (Huitt) (1876-1963) established a funeral company. A civic leader, Foust also assisted in the development of other area businesses. His son John E. Foust, II (1898-1978), joined the firm in 1923. Following his father's death he managed the Funeral Home and mercantile store until the 1960s. For over 100 years Foust family members have served in the business and civic activities of Grapevine. (1981)

 

James Azle Steward

Located at 124 W. Main Street, Azle.

Tennessee native James Azle Steward came to Texas prior to 1860. He and his wife, Mary E. Fowler Steward, were among the early settlers of this area. Steward was a well-known, respected pioneer physician. The settlement, which had been known by several different names at various times, was renamed Azle when Dr. Steward gave land for a townsite in 1883. He was also instrumental in the establishment of Ash Creek Cemetery. Azle Christian Church was built on land donated by the Doctor. A Mason, he was buried in Ash Creek Cemetery.

 

James M. Benbrook

Located in Benbrook Cemetery, 812 Mercedes St., Benbrook.

In 1876 Indiana native James M. Benbrook brought his family to this settlement, then known as Marinda. A veteran of the Union Army during the Civil War, he became a prominent area farmer and landowner. In 1880, when rail lines were completed here and a depot was constructed, the community was renamed Benbrook in his honor by the Texas and Pacific Railroad Company. Twice married, Benbrook was the father of six children. Recorded - 1982.

 

James Tracy Morehead

Located in Grapevine Cemetery, Wildwood at N. Dooley, Grapevine.

Virginia native James Tracy Morehead came to Texas with his family in 1852, settling in newly organized Tarrant County. Two years later, he was chosen to serve as the County's third Chief Justice. He is credited with naming the town of Grapevine, originally known as Dunnville. His suggested name came from the Grape Vine Springs, a pioneer landmark located east of the settlement. Although he served only one term as Chief Justice, Judge Morehead remained active in government. In 1858 he presided over the elections that organized neighboring Parker County. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986.


This page was last modified 12 April 2009.

Copyright © 2001-2009, Tarrant County TXGenWeb. All rights reserved