Historical Markers in Tarrant County

Page 4
 

Blackstone Hotel

Located at 601 Main St., Fort Worth.

The first art deco skyscraper in Fort Worth, the Blackstone Hotel was erected in 1929 for wealthy cattleman C. A. "Gus" O'Keefe, who named it after a visit to the Blackstone Hotel in Chicago. The St. Louis architectural firm of Mauran, Russell, and Crowell designed the structure. The city's first radio station, WBAP, once occupied the 22nd floor. A five-story annex was added in the 1950s by the Hilton Hotel chain, which occupied the building from 1952 to 1962. Featuring original sash windows, irregular setbacks, and ornamental terra cotta detailing, the Blackstone Hotel remains the city's tallest pre-World War II structure. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1998

 

Bryce Building

Located at 909 Throckmorton, Fort Worth.

Leading Fort Worth businessman and civic leader William J. Bryce (1861-1944) built this structure in 1910 to house the offices of his construction company. Bryce erected many of the city's commercial structures and served as Mayor of Fort Worth from 1927 to 1933. The Bryce Building, with its irregulare five-sided plan, is a fine example of the adaption of the Classical Revival style to a commercial structure. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark- 1983.

 

Coliseum

Located at 123 East Exchange Ave., Fort Worth.

Until 1908, The Annual Fort Worth Fat Stock Show was held in a variety of locations. As interest increased in the event and its educational and promotional values were realized, livestock exhibitors sought a permanent home for the show. The coliseum was constructed in 1907-08 to provide such an exhibition hall. Construction costs were borne by the Swift and Armour Packing Companies, and by the Fort Worth Stock Yards Company, which owned the property. The stock show was held here annually for 34 years. This site has been within three separate cities: North Fort Worth until 1909; Niles City, 1911-23; and in Fort Worth since 1923. It is the birthplace of the indoor rodeo, and the first live radio broadcast of a rodeo was transmitted here on WBAP Radio in 1923. The Coliseum also has served as a place for cultural, educational, religious, social, and civic events. In 1911, former President Theodore Roosevelt spoke here. Numerous Texas Governors, performing artists, grand operas, entertainers and evangelists have appeared here. The great Italian tenor, Enrico Caruso, performed here in 1920. In 1936, the Stock Yards Company sold the coliseum to the City of Fort Worth. Historically it has been an important part of the city and the livestock industry. (1984)

 

Flatiron Building

Located at 1000 Houston St., Fort Worth.

Known in early 1900s as the tallest building in North Texas. Erected 1907 for the renowned Dr. Bacon Saunders, Dean of City Medical College; Chief Surgeon, nine railroads; acclaimed as a pioneer of medicine in Texas. Designed by firm of Sanguinet and Staats, distinguished Fort Worth architects of reinforced concrete over steel frame, this Renaissance Revival structure was inspired by the wedge-shaped Flatiron Building in New York. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1970.

 

Florence Shuman Hall

Located at 1300 Pennsylvania Ave., Fort Worth.

Named for charter member of Fort Worth Woman's Club. Early cottage, built here, 1905, was rebuilt by pioneer civic leader, W.R. Edrington, in 1910. Woman's Club, formed in 1923, bought house year later as a center for its groups devoted to civic projects.

 

Fort Worth Elks Lodge 124

Located at 512 W. 4th St., Fort Worth.

Designed by Fort Worth architect Wyatt C. Hedrick (1888-1964) and built in 1927-28, this was the headquarters of the Fort Worth Elks Lodge and served as a residence for visiting Elks members until purchased by the Fort Worth Y.W.C.A. in January 1955. Featuring Georgian Revival style elements, the five-story structure on a raised basement is of steel construction with brick and cast stone veneer, metal balustrades, and shallow-relief detail. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -1986.

 

Fort Worth Library

Located at Houston & 9th Streets, Fort Worth.

Seeking funds for a public library, local woman asked the philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie, to donate "The price of a good cigar". He gave $50,000. With that and substantial local gifts, including land donated by Mrs. Sarah J. Jennings, the first City Library opened on this site, 1901. First Librarian, Mrs. Charles Schevber, was active in parks movement and local art circles. She was Vice President, 1911-1917, American Federation of Art. The old library was razed in 1938. This building in modern Classic style is four times as large as the original Library. (1968)

 

Fort Worth Livestock Exchange

Located at 201 E. Exchange St., Fort Worth.

Headquarters, one of greatest cattle markets in the world. In late 1860s Fort Worth was stop on cattle trails. Market for West Texas organized 1870s. First trader, T. B. Saunders, Sr., soon was joined by others. First small packing houses were followed (early 1900s) by multi-million dollar plants. By 1910 trading almost doubled. This structure was erected in 1902-03 to house the Stockyards Company, Livestock Commission, and buyers officers, surrounded by lawns (now parking lots). In 1944, was purchased by United Stockyards Corporation.

 

Fort Worth Main Post Office Buiding

Located in the 300 Block of W. Lancaster, Fort Worth.

The Fort Worth Post Office was established in 1856 with pioneer settler Julian Field serving as Postmaster. The central offices were moved here in 1933 when this building was completed. Designed by the Fort Worth firm of Wyatt C. Hedrick, it features interior detailing of marble, bronze, and gold leaf. Exterior ornamentation reflects the significance of the cattle industry in the development of the area. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1980.

 

Fort Worth Public Market Building

Located at 1400 Henderson, Fort Worth.

Oklahoma City developer John J. Harden had this commercial structure built in 1930 to provide market space for local farmers, vendors, and retail businesses. Designed by B. Gaylor Noftsger, also of Oklahoma City, it features influences of the Spanish Colonial Revival, Italian Baroque Revival, and Art Deco styles. The public market remained in operation until 1941 and the building later housed a variety of businesses. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -1980.

 

Fort Worth Stockyards Horse and Mule Barns

Located at 120 E. Exchange St., Fort Worth.

The Fort Worth Stock Yard Company's wooden horse and mule barns on this site were destroyed by fire on March 14, 1911, opening day of the Feeders and Breeders show (later Southwestern Exposition & Fat Stock Show). The show opened as planned, with former President Theodore Roosevelt giving the opening address. The company announced plans to replace the destroyed barns immediately with new concrete and steel fireproof buildings. Construction was completed in March 1912, and the new barns measuring 540'x350' had a capacity for 3000 animals. With a price tag of $300,000, the buildings were described as among the finest stables in the world. Activity here increased considerably in 1914, at the outbreak of World War I. Horses and mules were needed in great supply by European armies, and agents were sent in droves to Fort Worth to buy stock, spending an estimated $11 million. During that time, Fort Worth was designated the largest horse and mule market in the world. The wide space between the buildings has over the years spawned the nickname "Mule Alley". In recent years the barns have been used for various cultural activities and annual events. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986.

 

Grand United Order of Odd Fellows, Lodge No. 2144

Located at 612 Grove, Fort Worth.

Organized in 1880, the fraternal organization was an active force in Fort Worth's black community during the early years of the twentieth century. Associated with a national order that had been charted in 1843, the local lodge supported various charities and conducted seminars and professional business training sessions. Lodge members built this structure in 1926 and held their meetings on the second floor until they disbanded in 1937. It stands as one of the few reminders of the original black business district in Fort Worth. (1984)

 

Herbert M. Hinckley

Located at Will Rogers Memorial Coliseum, 3300 block W. Lancaster, FortWorth.

Engineering innovator who designed this dome for 1936 Texas Centennial. Staked reputation on plan (which uses a unique way of connecting radial arches at peak) despite doubts of many experts. Also designed nearby tower, buildings in major cities, and many bridges. (1971)

 

Hotel Texas

Located inside the main entrance, .815 Main St., Fort Worth.

In 1919 a group of Fort Worth civic leaders began planning for a hotel that would reflect the city's dynamic growth. Their efforts resulted in construction of the Hotel Texas, which was completed in 1921. Designed under the supervision of Fort Worth architects Sanguinet and Staats, the building features a mixture of styles and elaborate terra cotta detailing. President John F. Kennedy stayed here on the eve of his assassination in 1963. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1982.

 

Ida Saunders Hall

Located in the 1300 block of Pennsylvania Ave., Fort Worth.

Old home of Wm. Edrington Scott (1899-1961), who gave to Fort Worth the unique Scott Theater for all the performing arts. Built in 1903 and bought by Woman's Club in 1929. Named for a leader in the Fort Worth Woman's Club.

 

Knights of Pythias

Located at 110 East Third St., Fort Worth.

Erected in 1881; rebuilt in 1901, following fire, by noted local architects Sanguinet and Staats. Style similar to North European city hall or medieval guild hall. This is first Pythian Castle Hall built in the United States. In third-floor niche is 7-foot suit of armor that stood above 1881 building. Fort Worth Pythian Lodge No. 101 (a fraternal group) occupies 2 floors. Became first local building named to National Register of Historic Places, 1970. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark--1962

 

Land Title Building

Located at 111 W. 4th, Fort Worth.

Pioneer architects Haggart and Sanguinet designed this brick, sandstone and cast iron building with rounded arched windows and other ornate details. It featured the first known stone carving in Fort Worth, the figure of an owl, and displayed the initials of the lawyers Ross, Head and Ross, who occupied the second floor, above the title firm. The structure is architecturally important because its style was rare in this region when it was built in 1889. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1977.

 

Margaret Meacham Hall

Located at 1326 Pennsylvania Avenue, Fort Worth.

Named in honor of Mrs. H.C. Meacham, charter member and many years a Director of Fort Worth Woman's Club. House built, 1905, by J.F. Moore; sold, 1920, to Baptist Hospital as Nurses Residence. Bought by Woman's Club, 1949, giving club entire block. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967.

 

Masonic Temple of Fort Worth

Located at 1100 Henderson, Fort Worth.

This building was constructed for the Masonic Temple Association of Fort Worth provide a single meeting place for all member bodies. Completed in 1932, it was designed by the Fort Worth architectural firm of Wiley G. Clarkson & Co. The Temple exhibits Neo-Classical styling with Art Moderne influences and features upper-story ionic columns and Monel bas-relief doors. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1984.

 

Neil P. Anderson Building

Located at 411 West 7th, Fort Worth.

Neil P. Anderson (1847-1912) lived in Fort Worth by 1882. A talented broker, he helped this city set the pace for cotton trading in the inland markets of the Southwest. His firm had Sanguinet & Staats design this "Cotton Exchange" with seven skylights over top floor showrooms. Completed in 1921, it housed some of the city's leading businesses. The Exchange closed in 1939, but the Anderson interests owned the building until 1963. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark- 1978.


This page was last modified 27 Sep 2001.

Copyright © Tarrant County, TXGenWeb 2001. All rights reserved