Historical Markers in Tarrant County

Page 7
 

Fielder House

Located at 1616 W. Abram, Arlington.

Local landowner and community leader James Park Fielder (d. 1948) and his wife Mattie (Barnes) (d. 1950) erected this house in 1914, using steel lathing and other innovative techniques. The brick Prairie style structure had a large basement to provide storage space for the fruits and vegetables grown on surrounding acreage. Known as "The Home on the Hill," the Fielder residence was a popular gathering place and a landmark for citizens of Arlington. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979

 

Friday House

Located at 1906 Amber's Circle, Arlington.

In 1923, Marion and Willie Maybelle Friday purchased 112.5 acres including this site on which to build a home and pursue their love of farming. Mr. Friday was a civil engineer who built waterways and sewer systems in Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington and other small Texas cities. The Fridays sold the house in 1937 to the Cox family, who sold it in 1946 to the Young family. The Youngs owned the property for fifty years. An excellent example of a brick foursquare plan, the structure is a hybrid of strong prairie school and classical influences. Prairie school characteristics include the hipped roof, wraparound porch, overhanding eaves and porte cochere with balustrade above. Classical features include the porch columns and broken pediment front entryway. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1999

 

Garvey-Veihl House

Located at 769 Samuels Ave., Fort Worth.

Early landowner Baldwin L. Samuel deeded land in this area to his daughter Mary and her husband Isaac Foster in 1876. The Fosters and their daughter Lucy (Lula) and her husband William B. Garvey moved here from Kentucky in 1882 and built a home overlooking the Trinity River on a lot adjacent to this home site. At that time many of the city's wealthiest families were building impressive homes along Samuels Avenue and the bluff of the Trinity River. The Garveys bought this lot from the Fosters in 1883 and in 1884 built a small 1-story frame residence. By the late 1890s they had enlarged the house to its current 2-story Queen Anne style appearance. The house exhibits hallmark features of the style, including asymmetrical massing, porches, dormers, and beehive turrets. The house was bequeathed to Baptist Church Charities following the Garvey's deaths in 1915. Merchant Robert C. Veihl and his wife, Lena B., bought the home in 1918. It was maintained by the Veihl family until 1959, but was subsequently abandoned and in 1972 faced condemnation. The house is representative of the grand homes that lined Samuels Avenue at the turn of the century. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark- 1993.

 

George B. Monnig House

Located at 115 W. Broadway, Fort Worth.

Fort Worth merchant George B. Monnig (1869-1919) and his wife, Lura (1870-1948), acquired this property in 1905 and built a two-story frame house here. In 1909, a neighborhood fire destroyed that house, and the Monnigs replaced it with this tile-roofed brick structure in 1910. Its design details, executed in corbelled brick, milled wood, and cut limestone, reflect a blend of Bungalow and Arts-and-Crafts styles. Lura remarried and moved by 1923, and the family sold the house in 1947. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1986.

 

Gunhild Weber House

Located at 1404 S. Adams, Fort Worth.

This was the first home built in a 1907 subdivision opened by D.T. Bomar and John W. Broad. It shows influences from the West Coast, where Broad lived from 1896 to 1906. Charles K. Lee, later a State Bar Association, President, bought the house in 1914. He added a room and porte cochere. The Lees lived here 15 years. Mrs. Gunhild Weber, a native of Norway and a Fort Worth business executive, has owned the house since buying it from the Lucie C. Lee estate, 1944. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark-1978.

 

Henry M. Williams Home

Located at 4936 Crestline Rd., Fort Worth.

A native of Georgia, Henry W. Williams (d. 1925) was the founder of the H.W. Williams Wholesale Drug Company and a prominent Fort Worth banker. This Colonial Revival residence was built for him between 1907 and 1909. Notable features include the elaborate portico with Corinthian columns and the wide veranda. Since 1925 it has been the home of several prominent area families whose lifestyles reflected cultural and social values of the community. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1982

 

Hutcheson-Smith Home

Located at 312 N. Oak St., Arlington.

Built about 1896, this residence reflects influences of the Queen Anne style, including gingerbread trim. It is located on land owned in the 1890s by I.L. Hutcheson, a pioneer merchant of the Arlington area, and his son William Thomas Hutcheson, who later became an oilman in Archer City. In 1919 the house was purchased by S.T. Smith, a former educator and farmer. Owned by his family until the late 1970s, it serves as a reminder of Arlington's early development. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1982.

 

J. D. Cooper House

Located at the entrance to Meadowbrook Park, 211 Willis St., Arlington.

Built 1878 by J.D. Cooper, early landowner. Colonial design with square nails, wide board floors. Moved here by City. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965.

 

James-Fujita House

Located at 2530 College Ave., Fort Worth.

Competed in 1915 for Thomas (d. 1935) and Annie James, this home was purchased four years later by Kanetaro Fujita. Fujita served as president of a Japanese cotton exporting firm, the Gosho Company, incorporated in 1917 and dissolved just after the U.S. entry into World War II. In 1936, after Fujita returned to Japan, he sold the home to the company. Prominent features of the James-Fujita house include its gambrel roof and front porch columns and balusters. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1986.

 

John L. Collier Home

Located at 401 E. Elm St., Mansfield.

This structure was built in 1877 as a residence for the founder of Mansfield Male and Female College, John C. Collier (1834-1928). A native of South Carolina, Collier was distinguished educator and Presbyterian minister who in 1869 was asked to establish a school in Mansfield. The college operated from 1870 until 1887 and produced outstanding graduates and community leaders. Located west of the college, the home served also as a residence for female teachers and students. From 1890 to 1909, the A.J. Dukes family owned the Collier house. They made some major alterations to the home, including the addition of Mansfield's first indoor bathroom. Occupants of the home from 1909 until 1944 were Dr. William B. and Sallie (Hodges) McKnight, both of whom had graduated from Mansfield Male and Female College. Dr. McKnight established a medical practice in Mansfield in 1895 and also served as physician for the Southern Pacific Railroad. The house was adapted as Mansfield first funeral home by T.E. "Ernie" Blessing in 1944. Significant for its association with an early Texas educational institution and with several families of community leaders, the John C. Collier Home has remained a landmark in Mansfield. (1985)

 

Jopling-Melear Log Cabin

Located at Johnson Plantation Cemetery, 621 W. Arkansas Lane, Arlington.

George Washington Jopling (1833-1903) erected this log cabin in 1863 in the Johnson Station Community for his wife Catherine (Thomas) (1837-1882) and their large family. A farmer, cattleman, and cotton gin owner, Jopling also served as a community leader, helping organizing the Johnson Station Masonic Lodge. After Catherine died he remarried and deeded the cabin, which had been enlarged, to his daughter Jane Catherine (1854-1940) and her husband Z.T. Melear 1850-1931). Melear, a farmer and blacksmith, owned a livery stable and cotton gin. In 1970 the cabin was moved to this site. (1980)

 

Laneri House

Located at 902 S. Jennings Ave., Fort Worth.

Italian immigrant John B. Laneri moved to Fort Worth in 1883 and became a prominent businessman and civic leader. He founded the O.B. Macaroni Company and started a private boys school unknown as Laneri College. He had this residence built in 1904 in one of the city's most prosperous neighborhoods. The brick structure features classical detailing and fine interior woodwork. Laneri occupied the house until his death in 1935. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1982.

 

Lanius House

Located at 2420 W. Adams, Fort Worth.

A native of Bonham, Texas, Clarence Lanius (1880-1947) was a cattleman with ranches in several locations across the state. By 1922 he and his wife, Myrtle (Swecker) (1880-1958), had moved into their new home here in the city's finest residential area in the early 20th century. The Lanius house is a good example of the Bungalow style of architecture popular at the time and features broad overhanging eaves that are somewhat flared. A wide porch and porte-cochere dominate the facade. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1985.

 

Marion Loyd Homestead

Located in Loyd Park on Ragland Rd., Ground Prairie.

In 1859 brothers Marion (1835-1927) and James Loyd (1837-1922) of Illinois purchased this site. Marion built a log house to which their father John and several younger children came to live. Marion married Friendsina Cheshier (1841-1870) in 1862 and had four children. In 1879 he married his brother Thomas' (1848-1873) widow Ann Haney Loyd (1853-1912) and had three children. Marion was a farmer, area leader, and organizer of Loyd school. His deep soft water well made his home a gathering place for neighbors and travelers. Loyd descendants remain on the land. (1980)

 

Marshall R. Sanguinet House

Located at 4729 Collinwood, Fort Worth.

Noted Fort Worth architect Marshall R. Sanguinet (1859-1936) built this Shingle Style house about 1894, incorporating his earlier residence at this site which was damaged by fire. A partner in the prominent statewide architecture firm of Sanguinet and Staats, Marshall Sanguinet was associated with many of the citys early multi-story buildings and with the development of the Arlington Heights subdivision, which included his home.

 

Maxwell-Liston House

Located at 712 May. St., Fort Worth.

This late Queen Anne style residence was built in 1904 by Charles W. Maxwell (1850-1912). A contractor and carpenter by trade, Maxwell lived here with his wife, Katie, until 1907. The home then was sold to James Liston (d. 1917), and it remained in the Liston Family until 1941. Elements of the Queen Anne style represented in the Maxwell-Liston House include the corner turret, the wraparound porch, and the wreath and scroll decorative work in the front gables. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1985.

 

Mitchell-Schoonover House

Located at 600 S. 8th Ave., FortWorth.

James E. Mitchell, a jeweler, demanded a high degree of skilled craftsmanship in the construction of this house. Completed in 1907, it was designed by the Fort Worth architectural firm of Sanguinet and Staats. A friend, Dr. Charles B. Simmons, purchased the property in 1920. Ownership of the home was transferred to his daughter Maurine and her husband Dr. Frank Schoonover in 1945. The occupied the residence until 1979. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark- 1979.

 

Nugent-Hart House

Located at 312 Waxahache St., Mansfield.

In the early 1890s Joseph Nugent (1829-1903) and his wife, Christina, built this house, which features late 19th-century Victorian and Eastlake details in the porch. Nugent, a native of Canada, came to Texas in 1851. He operated a private school in Mansfield in the 1850s, taught at the Mansfield Male and Female College,and was elected the first Mayor in 1891. Local farmer J.H. Hart bought the home in 1920, and it was later inherited by family members.

 

P.A. Watson Log House

Located at Johnson Plantation Cemetery, 621 W. Arkansas Lane, Arlington.

After his wife Margaret Ann (Armstrong) died, Patrick Alfred Watson (1810-1894) built this dwelling in 1855 near present Arlington for their six children. In 1858 he married Margaret's neice Mary Jane Donaldson and they had six children. A surveyor, educator, and religious leader, Watson gave land for the P.A. Watson Community Cemetery and for the original site of a church an school building. The congregation is now West Fork United Presbyterian Church in Grand Prairie. The house was enlarged and Watson family descendants occupied it until 1961. It was moved here in 1976.

 

Pollock-Capps House

Located at 1120 Penn St., Fort Worth.

Built in 1898 for Dr. Joseph R. Pollock (1856-1941), this mansion was sold to William Capps (1858-1925) and wife Sallie (1864-1946), whose family lived here 1909 to 1971. On the grounds were a golf course, tennis court, and a 3-car garage with a ballroom above. This was in a neighborhood lined with Victorian homes of bankers, businessmen, cattlemen, lawyers, physicians,and publishers, and was nicknamed "Quality Hill".


This page was last modified 27 Sep 2001.

Copyright © Tarrant County, TXGenWeb 2001. All rights reserved