Located at Harwood and Precent Line Roads, Hurst.
In the 1890, the forerunner of Florence School in the Tarrant County Common
School District No. 34 was called "Green Glade". In 1903 Thomas Richard Sandidge,
a school trustee, and his wife Nannie provided one acre at this site for
school purposes. The nearby Green Glade site was sold, and the Florence
Schoolhouse, a one-room frame building, was erected here among a grove of
post oak trees. The new institution provided grades one through eight and
had an average enrollment of 30. The term ran from October, after cotton
harvest, to may, the beginning of cotton chopping time. The building served
as a community center where singings were held. By 1914, with declining
enrollment and the need for high school curriculum, the district was abolished
and Florence School students attended Bedford, Pleasant Run, and Smithfield
Schools. Sandidge reclaimed the land which had been set aside for school
purposes, and the property was sold several times through the years. In 1966
the Tarrant County Junior College District bought the land as part of its
Northeast Campus which opened in September 1968. Among the enrollment were
descendants of students who attended the old Florence School. (1979)
I. M. Terrell High School
Located at 1411 E. 18th Street, Fort Worth.
In 1882, the Fort Worth school system opened its first free public school
for black students, called "East Ninth Street Colored School." It was moved
to the corner of East Twelfth Street and Steadman in a property trade with
the Fort Worth and Denver Railroad in 1906, and renamed "North Side Colored
School No. 11." Isaiah Milligan Terrell was named principal and served until
1915. A 1909 bond election provided funds for a new building, which opened
in May 1910. In honor of its former principal, the school was named "I.M.
Terrell High School" in 1921. The school at twelfth and Steadman became a
Junior High and Elementary in 1938, when Terrell High School was moved to
its present location at 1411 E. 18th Street, site of a former white elementary
school. Isaiah Milligan Terrell was born in Grimes County in 1859. Named
one of the first four black teachers in Fort Worth in 1882, he served as
principal and supervisor of black schools. He was married in 1883 to Marcelite
Landry, a respected music teacher. Terrell became President of Prairie View
State Normal and Industrial College (now Prairie View A&M University)
in 1915, and later became an active leader in Houston's black community.
He died in 1931.
James E. Guinn School
Located at 1100 Louisiana St., Fort Worth.
After Fort Worth Public Schools were organized in the fall of 1882, black
students continued to be taught in black churches for more than a year. The
city completed a schoolhouse for blacks on E. 9th Street at Elm in December
1883. The son of a former slave, James Elvis Guinn was born in Fort Worth.
Though neither of them could read nor write, his parents placed a great value
on education, and James attended Fort Worth's early schools for blacks. He
later pursued a college degree and became a professor of chemistry at Prairie
View College, now Prairie View A&M University. Guinn returned to Fort
Worth as Principal of South Side Colored School in 1900. Construction of
a new three-story brick school building, designed by the prominent architectural
firm of Sanguinet and Staats, began at the corner of Louisiana and Rosedale
Avenues in April 1917. Shortly before its completion, Guinn died on July
11, 1917. Six days later the School Board voted to name the new school buildings
James E. Guinn School in his honor. It was the largest black school in Fort
Worth in 1930. After sixty-three years of service it, it was closed in 1980.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986.
Masonic Home and School of
Located at 3600 Wichita Street, Fort Worth.
The Grand Lodge of Freemasons in Texas, organized in 1837 in the Republic
of Texas, was granted a charter by the new State of Texas on April 28, 1846.
Among the stated purposes of the organization was support of education and
charitable causes. At its 1885 annual meeting, the Grand Lodge appointed
a committee to plan a "Masonic Widows and Orphans Home." Calling for bids
from Texas lodges the following year, the Grand Lodge accepted the offer
of Fort Worth Lodge No. 148 in 1888 for 200 acres of land and $5,000 toward
building costs. Construction of the institution's buildings at this site
began in 1898. A special Texas & Pacific Railroad excursion train brought
Masons and visitors to a cornerstone leveling ceremony on June 7, 1899, and
the first building was completed later that year. Dr. Frank Rainey of Austin
was named superintendent. Known as the "Masonic Home and School of Texas,"
the facility included buildings designed by noted architects Wiley G. Clarkson
of Fort Worth and Herbert M. Greene of Dallas. The Masonic Home Independent
School District was formed by the State Board of Education in 1913, and by
1930 more than 450 students were being cared for and educated here. Under
terms of an agreement reached in 1911, Masonic widows were transferred to
the new home for aged Masons in Arlington. Over the years the mission of
the home to care for children of Texas Masons was expanded to offer educational
opportunities to additional relatives of Masons, as well as to other children
sponsored by Texas lodges. The school continues a legacy of excellence in
education. The campus was listed in the National Register of Historic Places
as a historic district in 1992. (1999)
Mosier Valley School
Located on the south side of Mosier Valley, near Knapp/Mosier intersection,
In 1870, former slaves Robert and Dilsie Johnson received a 40-acre tract
of land here as a wedding gift from plantation owner Lucy Lee. Soon other
freedmen settled in Mosier Valley, and in 1883 a community school was organized.
A schoolhouse, built at this site about 1924, served as a focal point for
the surrounding area. It was replaced by a brick structure in 1953. Mosier
Valley students were integrated in 1969. Today the site serves as a reminder
of the area's earliest citizens and as a symbol of the community's rich heritage.
North Side School
Located at Johnson Plantation Cemetery, 621 W. Arkansas Lane, Arlington.
After Arlington's North Side School at 433 North Center burned in 1909,
this board and batten structure was built on the school grounds. Two grades
met here for one term until a new brick building was erected. Contractor
Joseph Crawley, who built this structure bought it and moved it to 304 South
Pecan. It served as his office until 1924 when it became a storage shed.
In 1977 Arlington's oldest existing schoolhouse was relocated here.
Pioneer Birdville Schools
Located at 3120 Carson St., Haltom City.
The community of Birdville, named for pioneer Jonathan Bird, became the
first seat of Tarrant County in 1851. It continued to hold that position
until 1856, when an election changed the county seat to Fort Worth. Located
within the community, on this site known as Birdville Hill, was a school
operated by Professor William E. Hudson. Named Birdville Academy, the school
opened in 1858 and attracted students from Tarrant, Dallas, Parker, and Denton
Counties. The school grew quickly from a one-room wooden building to larger
facilities serving an increasing student population. By 1919 the need for
additional room resulted in a bond election which authorized the erection
of a new brick building adjacent to the original school site. In 1926 the
Birdville Independent School District was incorporated, and additional school
facilities were added to the property in later years. In 1961 Birdville High
School was renamed Haltom High after a second high school, Richland High,
was opened. Still occupying the original Birdville School site, the school
district now includes facilities throughout Haltom City and retains the Birdville
Pleasant Run School
Located at 5505 Pleasant Run Road, Colleyville.
Early settlers have recalled that a log school stood near this site as
early as 1870. By 1877, 45 students were enrolled. In 1884, A.J. Colwell
deeded two acres here to the Pleasant Run School Trustees for a public school
and church. In 1897 a wooden school-house stood here and one teacher, Emma
Dixon, was teaching 93 students during a 120-day term. A 2-story brick building
was completed c. 1913, replaced by a Works Progress Administration structure
in 1939. About 233 students were enrolled in 1960. Classes were last held
here in 1962, soon after consolidation with Grapevine.
Saint Ignatius Academy
Located at 1206 Throckmorton, Fort Worth.
The first Catholic School in Fort Worth, St. Ignatius Academy was organized
by the Sisters of St. Mary of Namur in 1885. The first classes were held
in a house purchased from Jacob Smith. This four-story limestone structure,
used for classrooms and chapel, was completed in 1889. J.J. Kane designed
the building, a good example of the Victorian Institutional style. School
classes were conducted here until 1962.
Southwest Baptist Theological
Located at the southwest corner of James and W. Seminary, Fort Worth.
Chartered March 14, 1908, for graduate education in Christian ministries.
Moved here in 1910 from Waco, Texas. Original 200-acre campus tract and first
building, Fort Worth Hall, were gifts of people of Fort Worth. Control passed
from Baptist General Convention of Texas to Southern Baptist Convention in
1925. First president (1908-14) was B.H. Carroll. Successors: L.R. Scarborough,
1914-42; E.D. Head, 1942-53; J. Howard Williams, 1953-58; Robert E. Naylor,
Spring Garden School
Located at 2400 Cummings Road, Bedford.
The concern of area settlers to provide a school for their children resulted
in the opening of the Spring Garden School in the fall of 1865. Samuel Witten,
Levin Moody, Milton Moore, and Caleb Smith joined forces to build a schoolhouse
on land (1/2 mi. N) donated by Witten. Named Spring Garden after Witten's
home in Missouri, the School was noted for its excellent teachers. The growth
of Bedford and an 1872 fire that destroyed the schoolhouse contributed to
the closing of Spring Garden School about 1878. Its history is a reminder
of the importance of Texas' pioneer schools.
First Hundred Years of Texas Christian
Located inside the foyer of M.E. Sadler Hall, 2800 S. University, Fort
Founded during 19th century Christian Restoration Movement, by Joseph
Addison Clark (1815-1901) and sons Addison (1842-1911) and Randolph (1844-1935).
Joseph A. Clark, born in Illinois, came to Republic of Texas in 1839. A teacher,
preacher, lawyer, surveyor, editor and publisher, he also was Fort Worth
Postmaster in noisy cattle-trail and early railroad era. His sons, home from
the Civil War, established a school in this city in 1869, on site which proved
unsuitable. The family moved the school to Thorp Springs (33 MI. SW), where
they founded Add-Ran Male and Female College in 1873. Church-related from
its origin, the college was given in 1889 to the Christian Church Convention
of Texas, and renamed Addran Christian University. Moved to Waco on Christmas
Day, 1895, the school was renamed Texas Christian University (1902), and
stayed there until the main building was destroyed by fire in 1910. When
Fort Worth offered 52 acres of land for a campus and funds of $200,000 for
building, Texas Christian University returned (1910) to the city first chosen
as its location. By 1973, TCU had grown to 243 acres, 60 buildings, seven
schools and colleges, and an average fall enrollment of 6500 students. Erected
during Centennial Observance - 1973.
The University of Texas at
Located in front of UTA Central Library, 702 College St., Arlington.
Tracing its history to a series of private schools and military academies,
The University of Texas at Arlington has grown with the community to become
one of the area's most important public institutions. Arlington College,
a private school for students in grade 1-10, opened here in 1895 in a two-story
frame building. It was succeeded in 1902 by Carlisle Military Academy, operated
by former State Superintendent of Public Instruction James M. Carlisle. Financial
difficulties forced the Academy into receivership, and in 1913 H.K. Taylor
opened Arlington Training School in its place. It in turn was replaced in
1916 by Arlington Military Academy, which closed after only one year. The
school became a state-supported institution in 1917. Known as Grubbs Vocational
College for local supporter Vincent W. Grubbs, it was affiliated with Texas
A&M (then called The Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas) through
two more name changes--North Texas Agricultural College (1923-49) and Arlington
State College (1949-65). Transferred to the University of Texas System in
1965, it was renamed the University of Texas at Arlington in 1967 and has
become the second largest University in the System, offering undergraduate
and graduate degrees. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845-1995
Second Site of the Old Wayside
Located on FM 1220 just south of W.J. Boaz Road, about 15 miles from downtown
Founded 1883 on site in Dozier community, given by W.E. Boswell. Situated
1898-1948 in 2 successive buildings on land given by A.W. Moore. Now in Eagle
Mountain-Saginaw District, which includes W.E. Boswell High School, named
in honor of donor of first site.
Masonic Temple Association of Fort
Located at 1100 Henderson, Fort Worth.
The Masonic Temple Association was founded as the result of dramatic growth
in Fort Worth's Masonic membership during the early part of the twentieth
century. It was chartered in 1929 with ten member bodies for the purpose
of building and maintaining a central meeting place for those organizations.
Funds were raised and the new temple was completed in 1932. Since its founding,
The Masonic Temple Association of Fort Worth has helped to create a common
bond among its members. (1984)
Royal Flying Corps
Located in Greenwood Cemetery, 3400 White Settlement, Fort Worth.
In 1917, during World War I, the U.S., British, and Canadian Governments
entered into a reciprocal agreement to train military pilots for combat duty.
Foreign troops trained in Texas during the winter and in Canada in the summer.
Camp Taliaferro in Tarrant County, consisting of three air fields, provided
training facilities for members of the Royal Flying Corp and U.S. forces
from October 1917 to November 1918. Each field accommodated an average of
2,000 men. Royal Flying Corps expertise and skilled instructors enabled large
numbers of Americans to receive excellent flight training in a short time.
During the months British and Canadian troops were stationed in Fort Worth,
39 officers and cadets were killed during flight training. Eleven of the
men were buried at the three Air Fields; in 1924 the Imperial War Graves
Commission purchased a plot at Greenwood Cemetery for reinterment. A monument
was later erected at the site, which now has twelve graves since a veteran
who died in 1975 requested burial here with his friends. The Royal Flying
Corps, although in Texas for only a short time, had a beneficial and lasting
influence on aviation in this country.
Smithfield Masonic Lodge No. 455 A.F. &
Located at 8007 Main St., North Richland Hills.
The organizational meeting for this lodge was held on July 13, 1875.
Originally known as the Grand Prairie Lodge, the fraternal organization held
its meetings in the Zion Church until the first Lodge Building was constructed
in 1876. In 1894 the structure was moved to the lot adjacent this site and
was in use until 1981. The Lodge's membership has included some of the prominent
early settlers of Tarrant County, including Eli Smith, for whom the Community
of Smithfield (now part of North Richland Hills) was named. The title Smithfield
Masonic Lodge was adopted in 1947.
Texas & Southwestern Cattle Raisers
Located at 1301 W. Seventh Street, Fort Worth.
On February 15, 1877, a large number of stock raisers from northwest Texas
assembled in the Young County Courthouse in Graham to address the problem
of cattle rustling. Their solution was the creation of the "Stock-Raisers'
Association of North-West Texas." The organization worked to promote the
interests of stock raisers and initiated a system of tracking stray or stolen
cattle. Names, marks, brands, locations of ranches, and addresses of individual
stock raisers were made available to each member. C.L. (Kit) Carter of Palo
Pinto County served as the association's first president. Other prominent
cattlemen involved in the group's formative years were C.C. Slaughter, Samuel
Burk Burnett, and James C. Loving. During the 1893 Annual Convention, membership
in the organization was opened to the entire state, and its name was changed
to the "Cattle Raisers Association of Texas." In the same year, Fort Worth
became the location of its permanent headquarters. The current name was adopted
in 1921, when the Panhandle and Southwestern Stockmen's Association joined
the Texas organization. Throughout its history, the association has provided
significant service and leadership to the cattle industry of Texas.
Woman's Club of Fort Worth
Located on an interior garden wall, 1316 Pennsylvania Ave., Fort Worth.
Women from eleven social and study groups, some formed before 1900, joined
in 1923 to create the Woman's Club of Fort Worth. Miss Anna Shelton, who
led the unification drive, served as the first President of the club. The
charter members first met in a house donated by Etta O. (Mrs. William G.)
Newby. As the club grew, it acquired other buildings. The organization performs
many civic, charitable, and educational activities and maintains a Texana
library collection. Membership in 1975 totaled about 3000.
Allen Chapel African Methodist Episcopal
Located at 116 Elm Street, Fort Worth.
The oldest and largest African Methodist Episcopal Church in Fort Worth.
This church organization was organized about 1870 by the Rev. Moody, pioneer
circuit rider, and five area settlers. Members met in homes until facilities
were built at this site soon after it was purchased in 1878. The name Allen
was adopted as part of the congregational title in 1879 to honor Richard
Allen, a former slave who became the first Bishop of the A.M.E. faith. Led
by 29 pastors in over a century of service, Allen Chapel has played a significant
role in Fort Worth's development. (1982)