Tarrant County TXGenWeb
Civil War Veterans of Northeast Tarrant County
Biographic series compiled and contributed by
After the Community World War II Memorial in Colleyville turned out to be a huge success in 2002, it was decided to erect a similar memorial a short distance away honoring the Colleyville area Civil War veterans. A circle was defined with a four-mile radius, centered on Pleasant Run Baptist Church (est. 1877), at the intersection of Pleasant Run Road and Shelton Drive in Colleyville. The goal was to name all Civil War veterans of both armies on the memorial, who lived, owned property, were active members of a church, or were buried within the circle any time after April 1, 1861. Men who served during wartime on the frontier west of here fighting the Comanches and Kiowas were also included.
Recently it was decided to move the memorial and to expand the coverage to include all of northeast Tarrant County. The biographies below result from the research of these soldiers.
Recently, the Northeast Tarrant County Civil War Veterans Memorial moved to its new home beside historic Bedford Cemetery, on land belonging to the Bedford Church of Christ. This site, easily accessible and with plenty of parking, is located in the old town of Bedford at 2401 Bedford Road, about one block east of Central Drive.
This memorial honors and names veterans of both armies during the Civil War who lived, owned land, died, or are buried in northeast Tarrant County. To date, more than five hundred soldiers have been verified.
At least nineteen of the veterans lie buried in Bedford Cemetery, which was begun within ten years of the end of the War. The Bedford Church of Christ, to which several of the veterans belonged, began meeting at its present site about 1874.
The memorial site is open to the public every day from dawn ‘til dusk. Parking is only a few feet away in the church’s west parking lot. A small stone there will directs visitors to this website where they can read the extensive biographical information on the veterans, see photographs, and submit their own information and pictures.
The memorial is made up of eight pieces of Georgia gray granite, more than four tons of stone. The memorial is the culmination of more than forty years of interest and research by the men who erected it.
We welcome any additions, corrections, suggestions, photographs, etc… anything which will make this site more complete and useful for future researchers. Thank you for your time and attention.
Michael Patterson --- email@example.com
Update - 31 May 2009:
This page is a work in progress and continues to grow. As of July 30, 2017, 729 veterans had been identified and biographies have been written on all but one. The camera icon represents that the document contain photos, newspaper clippings, or perhaps other documents. A star beside the name indicates that the biography has not yet been prepared. Updated information and photographs are being added occasionally, so check back with the What's New page (Page 3) often to see what we've added.
This page was created 29 February 2008. - It was last modified 3 June 2017.
Copyright © Tarrant County TXGenWeb 2008-2017. All rights reserved