First United Methodist Church
Fort Worth, Texas
|The First United Methodist Church
of Fort Worth is located at 800 W. 5th Street,
just a short walk from the Downtown branch of the Fort Worth Public
Library. The building was designed by local architect, Wiley G. Clarkson,
who also designed the Masonic Temple and Cooks Childrens Hospital. His drew
his inspiration from the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.
The contractor was Harry B. Friedman. They broke ground October
27, 1929 and construction began two days later on the day that
the stockmarket crashed. The corner stone was laid October 5, 1930 and
on June 14, 1931 they held the first worship in the new sanctuary.
The congregation was established in 1874 in a small, one room, wooden building located at the corner of Fourth and Jones. This building was replaced by a stone structure in 1887 that was designed with one spire. Today, only one wall of the stone building is left standing. The congregation erected a new building at the corner of Seventh and Taylor and moved in 1908. That building was sold to another congregation upon their move and is still in use.
Photo by Lester & Genny Yoder, 1981.
Tarrant County, TXGenWeb
This page last modified on 5 Nov 1999.