Handley Cemetery

Fort Worth, Texas


Photos by Rob Yoder - 1999

Handley Cemetery

This burial ground originally served the pioneer settlers of the Handley Community, which developed here soon after the Texas and Pacific Railroad built a line to the area in 1876. The earliest marked grave is that of Jane E. Thomas (1832-1878). A church building, constructed on adjacent land in 1882, was located here for 48 years. Several early residents buried at this site, including Cival War veteran Maj. James M. Handley (d. 1906), for whom the town was named, were later reinterred in the nearby Rose Hill Cemetery. The last burial here was in 1967.

The Handley Cemetery is located in the 1050 block of Halbert Street at 6700 E. Rosedale Street in East Fort Worth. It is in the shadow of TXU Electric's Handley Power Plant.




Go Back

Tarrant County, TXGenWeb
Copyright © 1999, All rights reserved

This page last modified on 25 Sep 1999.