Fort Worth, Texas
Thistle Hill, The Cattle Baron's Mansion
1509 Pennsylvania Avenue in Fort Worth
Designed by Sanguinet & Staats, this Georgian Revival structure was built in 1903 for A.B. Wharton (1878-1963) and his bride Electra (1882-1925), daughter of rancher W.T. Waggoner (1852-1934). Electra named the mansion "Thistle Hill". Cattlemen-investor Winfield Scott (1849-1911) bought the home in 1910 but died before he moved in. His wife Elizabeth (1861-1935) lived her until her death. Occupied by the Girls' Service League, 1940-1968, the house was purchased in 1976 by "Save the Scott Home!" Inc. [The text is from the historic marker which was erected in 1977.]
The building below served as servants quarters.
Photos by Lester & Genny Yoder, 1981.
Tarrant County, TXGenWeb
This page last modified on 5 Nov 1999.