University of Texas at Arlington
|The Special Collections Division, begun in 1967, focuses on Texas
material. Access to most of the holdings is through the library's online
public access catalog called LUIS (Library User Information System), essentially
an electronic card catalog. It can be searched by author, title, subject,
call number and keyword.
Listed below are some collections housed here:
Fort Worth Star-Telegram - more than one million photographs, clippings, maps, newspapers and index cards, which reflect the history of Fort Worth, West Texas, social political and economic life in the state. These archives are open for public viewing; however,it is wise to set up an appointment to visit.
Fort Worth News-Tribune dating from 1969, the year the paper was founded, until 1989 when it ceased publication. These files contain local news of Fort Worth, with emphasis on politics, social affairs and historical articles.
The William Jary Collection, which includes newspaper clippings, photographs, maps, correspondence and scrapbooks. Topics covered are aviation, business, economics, Camp Bowie, families, schools, parks and special events in early Fort Worth, including biographical material.
The George Washington Armstrong papers
These are only a few of the holdings in the Special Collections Division which pertain to Fort Worth and Tarrant County.
A number of records from the County courthouse have been moved to this repository for preservation. Among them are: Declarations of Intent to Naturalize, 1878 to 1906; Chattel Mortagage Records, 1876-1903; County and District School Board Records, 1916 to 1955; Marks and brands Records, 1876 - 1904; Convict and Labor Records, 1885-1894; Notices of Intention to Marry, 1929-1934 and Civil and Criminal Court Dockets.
This page was last modified 6 Dec 2000.
Copyright © Tarrant County, TXGenWeb 1999, 2000, 2001. All rights reserved