Yesterday's News In Tarrant County
Page 3-B

News bites from Fort Worth Newspapers, 1877-1928



Bride of Three Weeks Murdered!

The widow of Sam Meyers, the wealthiest farmer in Johnson County [Texas], married G. H. Hester three weeks ago. Last Friday night, while the couple were sitting in the open door of their farm house, an unknown man shot Mrs. Hester in the head, killing her instantly. The victim was about thirty years old and generally considered a model wife and mother.

No positive clue to the murderer has been discovered but public suspicion has fallen upon a son-in-law of her first husband. His name is Bowden, and he and his brother had considerable trouble with the former Mrs. Meyers in the distribution of property left by Meyers. Bowden has probably been arrested by this time, and much excitement prevails in the community over the terrible crime.

Fort Worth Daily Democrat, Feb. 25, 1877


Shortly after 1 o'clock Wednesday night, three pistol shots fired in rapid succession were heard in the heart of Hell's half acre - John GALLOWAY was found behind the bar, dead, lying in a pool of blood - he was the proprietor of the saloon; just outside on Main Street were three police officers - one of them, William RUSHING, was the slayer of the dead man. Galloway came here from Georgia three years ago.

M. M. LESTER filed a suit against the Texas and Pacific railroad to recover $20,000 damages for carelessly killing her son east of Hanly [sic] in this county in January 1884.

Fort Worth Gazette, Aug. 1, 1884


Mrs. Sue E. JEFFRIES, wife of J. N. JEFFRIES died Aug. 1, 1884 age 26. She was baptized by Rev. J. S. GILLESPIE Dec. 7, 1879 of the First Baptist Church of Fort Worth. at the time of her death she was a member of the Baptist Church of Wichita Falls. Having recently returned with her husband to his father's, J. S. JEFFRIES, four miles north of this city, and after several weeks of suffering, died, leaving a daughter 4 years of age.

Fort Worth Gazette, Aug. 5, 1884


Died. Benjamin SMITH, 26, son of Dr. Smith of this county, and nephew of Col. J. P. SMITH, our mayor. He had been working for the gas company for some time and on Friday evening was working on an exhauster through which is used to force the gas through the purifiers. In making an attachment, the pipe connecting hit Smith's head, inflicting a severe wound. He was conscious for half an hour and died yesterday morning. The funeral took place from Major Smith's mansion. The young man's mother died here four years ago.

Fort Worth Gazette, Aug. 10, 1884


First Women Voters in Tarrant County

Mrs. C. McPHERSON and her daughter, Miss Hallie McPHERSON, are the first women ever to vote in Tarrant County. They appeared at the county clerk's office Friday afternoon to cast their votes under provisions of the state absentee voting law which was passed at the last regular session of the legislature. They intend to be out of the county on election day.

Fifteen persons voted Friday afternoon and up to noon Saturday. Their ballots, after being placed in a sealed envelope, will be sent to their election judges two days before the election.

Fort Worth Democrat, Saturday, July 20, 1918


Blind Musician Marries After Brief Romance

Herbert Krumpellin, blind concert artist, came to Fort Worth from Pittsburgh, Pa. He and Miss Myrtle Williams, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. B. H. Williams of Terrell, were married Monday at the Tarrant County Court House. The marriage culminated a romance of only three weeks' duration which included only one meeting, numerous letters, telephone calls and telegrams.

Their headquarters for future concert tours will be in Houston. Mrs. Krumpelin is a pianist and her husband plays the pipe organ, piano, violin and Scotch bagpipes. He has given a number of concerts in Fort Worth churches and before various luncheon clubs during the month he has been here.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram, June 27, 1922


Fire Destroys Funeral Home

The Fort Worth Undertaking Company lost some $50,000 in a fire believed to have started when two cases of embalming fluid exploded in the basement. Employees M. C. Vaughn and Carl Smidts were the only two persons in the building and were not harmed

Firemen from eight companies answered a double alarm and were forced to use gas masks to combat the blaze and use a battering ram on the north wall in order to gain entrance into the building.

Vaughn, who lives with his wife and small son in five rooms on the second floor of the building, and who was in charge of the office at night, turned in the call from an outside box when he was unable to use the company's telephone because of the dense smoke.

Roy Widner, an employee, Harry Taylor, a roomer, and R. A. Cantrell, who owns interests in the business, lost part of their belongings in the fire. Possessions of the Vaughn family were valued at $2500.00. Several thousand persons jammed the streets to see the blaze and police had a difficult time keeping order.

The business of the Undertaking Company will be carried on temporarily at the mortuary of Robertson-Mueller-Harper.

Fort Worth Record-Telegram, Nov. 12, 1928





This page was last modified 12 Nov 2003.

Tarrant County TXGenWeb
Copyright © 2003. All rights reserved.