Sawmills and Railroads of Trinity County
Search the Handbook of Texas Online
Sawmills and Forests
Texas Forestry Museum Sawmill Database.
The East Texas Research Center (ETRC) houses the business records of major East Texas lumber companies.
· Papers of Roy Dudley (and W. L. Avery) on the Trinity County Lumber Company owner, Stanley Joyce, during the and recollections about its first third of the 20th Century are also housed here.
· Also deposited here: records of the Foresters, the Texas Forestry Texas Society of American Association.
· See and the papers of Texans prominent ETRC manuscript collection for listing,
· Afro-American Lumber Men at ETRC.
· A description of the their working conditions in the lumber industry is found in The Sawdust Empire: The Texas Lumber Industry 1830-1940 (1983) by Robert S Maxwell and Robert D. Baker.
· ETRC also have on deposit photographs supporting several of their collections including: Sawdust Empire, Southland Paper Mills, and Thompson Brothers Lumber Company.
The Thompson and Tucker Lumber Company was begun in 1852 by John Martin Thompson. In 1881, he relocated the business to Trinity County, Texas. Mills were established by the Thompsons at Grayburg and Trinity under various names, including Thompson Brothers, Thompson and Tucker, and Texas Long Leaf Lumber Companies. The company papers are found in the University of Houston Library's special collections.
Railroads in Trinity County
Page updated February, 2012/skw