Welcome To Trinity County!  
Heart of the Texas Forest Country

Return to Home Page

Return to Histories Page

 

This manuscript was found at the Trinity County Museum. At first we couldn't find the completed manuscript. A complete copy was finally located, with a few sentences changed slightly from the original we found. A penciled note on our original copy said "made up in late 30's)

HISTORY OF TRINITY
By G. H. Ramey, Jr.

Trinity was named after the Trinity River; but was first called "Kayser ‘s Prairie". It was incorporated as a town in the year 1910 and in 1916 it was incorporated as a city.

The I. & G. N. Railroad was established in 1872 and thus encouraged many settlers. Mr. Boggan was the first railroad express agent in Trinity. In the middle of the year, Mr. Boggan went to Galveston in search of a suitable climate for hay-fever. Mr. Tubbs became the agent when Mr. Boggan left. The settlers called the first engine the "Big Iron Horse", and most of the residents would go to the railroad station and watch the train every day.

The first sawmill in Trinity was owned by Mr. W. T. Carter. The mill was located on a little ravine near Turner farm about a mile and a half west of the city on the Kitrell road. Frank Hall also owned and operated a small mill in 1860, a few years after Mr. Carter. The McQuerry’s owned a sawmill on Salt Creek near White Rock Creek.

The first families in Trinity were: Barnes, Clegg, Gibson, William G. Martin; Dr. Arnold, Dick Herndon, Hobbs, John Gates and Mr. A. J. (Abe) Frisby. Many of these family names are still represented.

This particular location was settled chiefly for the purpose of cattle raising. Also, the Trinity River served as a means of transportation. The river was the fastest means of travel at this time.

Mr. William G. Martin, Mrs. Maud McGarr’s father, first began shipping on the Trinity River. He operated a flat boat from "Wild Cat Ferry" at Palestine and carried cotton and all of the surplus farm products to Galveston. Mr. Martin would buy enough clothing and food to last until the next fall and then he would make another trip to Galveston. One of the loading docks is located about a mile and a half west of the city and was formerly called Alfreds Bluff and is now called Lock and Dam,

Mr. A. J. Frisby owned the first store in Trinity. The farmers came to town once a week and traded their vegetables and farm products for groceries and clothing. Most of the early farmers were very good managers and their crops lasted the entire year. Mr. Frisby’s store was located where the Texaco Station stands near the -Gibson Gin Co. Mr. Frisby sold his store to Mr. Clegg and Mr. Clegg moved the store to the place where the Texaco store house is. This was near the railroad and the produce was much easier to carry from the train. Barnes and Lister owned a larger store and it was located where the I. & G. N. loading pen for cattle is. One of the first church services was held in the back of their store. Barnes and Lister also owned a saloon where Cochran’s Pharmacy is located.

Mr. Brown owned Trinity’s first hotel. The hotel was called I X L. The letters suggest the name Excel. This was only a wood frame building but it served as a first class hotel. Shortly after Mr. Gibson purchased the hotel the building burned, and then the brick building was erected.

The school was located in the right corner of the present Cedar Grove Cemetery, It was a one room log hut, and also a one-teacher school. The first principal was a Mr. Champion, called Professor by all of the students. This one room log hut was used for school, shows, church, and for just any-thing the occasion called for, The first to attend this school were Mrs. Leeman of Palestine, Mrs. Maud McCarr of this city, George and Ben Gibson, Miss Mattie and Miss Mary Barnes, Jesse and Old Sam Barnes, Mrs. Herndon, Joe Turner and Dr. Vann.

Something about the early churches: In the year 1863 or 1862 many people from Kitrell and the surrounding territory came to Milligan Chapel once a month for church. The people bad to ride mules or ride in ox carts, buggies or walk. The Chapel is marked by a little Church Cemetery located near the Will Davis home on the old highway #19. The people would come early and bring their dinner and stay late. Another church was located at Ellis Springs and the folks would go there once a month for church services. The Baptist church has kept the same spot for their church since 1878. The Baptists evidently like this particular spot. The first preacher was Brother Snodgrass, who came once a month on horseback. These preachers were called circuit riders. The Methodist Church was established in 1880 and Rev. Hockadee was the first to begin preaching. The Methodist's building was located where the old building stands that the Red Arrow Freight office is in. This building was used by all denominations until the others could afford to build a church. The First Christian Church was organized by Elder Leak from Woodville College in 1887.

Some Historical Ruins in and around Trinity are: Sulphur Springs, an old health resort project which collapsed after a few years of operation. This is a natural sulphur spring and many people came and lived in tents and also there was a hotel and a swimming pool. This spring served as a meeting place for all of the citizens on holidays and on Sunday afternoons. Mr. Jessup of Tyler owned the hotel and tents. The old Gibson and Robb homes were the oldest homes in Trinity. Old Sumpter was the first county seat for Trinity. It is located about five miles east of Groveton. The county seat was moved to Pennington and in 1880 it was moved to Groveton.

Trinity was a gay little city and had many amusement halls after a few years growth. Mr. Martin had a dance hall and saloon. He had a stage and many actors came and gave their performance on the little stage. Vaudeville was coming into being, around 1886 and the people would naturally go to see and hear something funny. Trinity was also honored by Irene Castle when she gave several dancing revues at the Old Opera House. This was a treat to the early residents, or was it a help to Irene Castle? At any rate she became more famous after she left Trinity.

The information has been submitted and is offered free to all who visit. The ownership/copyright stays with the submitter Trinity County Historical Commission.and Mr. G. H. Ramey, Jr.

.