Victoria City Seal
VICTORIA COUNTY, TEXAS
(A part of the TXGenWeb project and the USGenWeb Project.)

HISTORIC MARKERS, MONUMENTS, AND SITES
IN VICTORIA COUNTY

Marker

Memorial Square Historical Marker
(Photo by Roger Curtner/Victoria Advocate)

Return to Victoria Co. Home Page

The following information is courtesy of Victoria County Historical Commission, Diana Rhodes, Chairman of Historical Markers in Victoria County. We are also indebted to Patsy & Glenn Hand for transcribing it.

  • Band Stand: DeLeon Plaza. Built circa 1885 and has been a focal point for private and public events. (THM 1964)

  • Beck Ranch, C. T.: 3907 Salem Road. Beck, a native of Germany, became a trail driver and a prominent Victoria County rancher. (THM 1999)

  • Beck Ranch Headquarters: 412 Magruder Drive, This Greek Revival home was built in 1872 by Charles August Beck as a wedding present for his son, Charles T. Beck. (THM 1980)

  • Brownson's Bank: 101 South Main Street. Founded by John Milton Brownson in 1867 and was the first organized bank in Victoria County. (THM 1992)

  • Callender Home: 404 West Guadalupe Street. Home of pioneer lawyer William L. Callender. Located at present site in 1854, (THM 1966)

  • Camp Henry E. McCulloch: Four miles north on Highway 87. Camp of instruction for Confederate volunteers. (THM 1963)

  • Case, Mrs. Viola: Inside Victoria Public Library, 302 North Main Street. Case was an educator and founder of the Bronte Club, the oldest women's literary society in Texas. (THM 1984)

  • Coletoville Cemetery: 2533 Coletoville Road East. Established by August and Thekla Spitzer in 1872 after two of their children died of diphtheria. (THM 1997)

  • Conrad, Edward: City Hall Square. In memory of a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and an officer in the Republic of Texas Army. (CM 1936)

  • Cunningham, Abel Seymour: Evergreen Cemetery. Cunningham was a Texas Revolution soldier, a member of the Texas Republic House of Representatives and a delegate to the Annexation Convention. (THM 1962)

  • De La Garza, Carlos: De La Garza Cemetery, south on San Antonio River Road. Noted Indian fighter and supporter of Mexican cause during the Texas Revolution. (THM 1999)

  • De Leon, Don Martin: Evergreen Cemetery. De Leon was an Indian fighter, the first Texas cattle baron, and the founder of Victoria. (CM 1936)

  • De Leon Family: Evergreen Cemetery. Grave markers of the Martin De Leon family: Patricia, Fernando, Agapito, Felix, and Silvestra. (THM 1972)

  • De Leon Plaza: 100 North Main Street. Originally known as Plaza de la Constitution when Victoria was established by Martin De Leon. (THM: 1998)

  • De Leon's Home, Empresario Martin: City Hall Square. De Leon's colony was the only one in which Mexican customs and traditions prevailed. (CM 19363

  • Early Victoria Home: 604 North Craig Street. It is a landmark of the 1840 Comanche raid. (THM 1971)

  • Evergreen Cemetery: 1900 North Vine Street. A historic public cemetery where pioneer Victorians are buried. (THM 1976)

  • Federal Building, Old: 210 East Constitution Street. The building was constructed in 1911-1913 to serve as a post office and Federal courthouse. The architectural style of the structure is Italian Renaissance Revival. (THM 1981)

  • First Presbyterian Church of Victoria: 2408 North Navarro Street. Organized in 1841 by Reverend William C. Blair. (THM 1991)

  • First United Methodist Church: 407 North Bridge Street. Organized in 1840. The first church edifice was located on South Street. The present building. was constructed in the early 1960s. (THM 1976)

  • Fleming-Welder House: 607 North Cram Street. Constructed circa 1911 for rancher and postmaster Edward R Fleming and his wife Lillian. (THM 1996)

  • Fort St. Louis: Inez. Descriptive 1936 State Centennial Marker for Fort St. Louis. Gives approximate location of fort, its demise, and information on Presidio La Bahia. (CM 1936)

  • Fossati's Delicatessen: 302 South Main Street. Oldest delicatessen in Texas. (THM 1987)

  • Fox House, Jacob: 708 West Power Street. Constructed in the early 1890's for Jacob Fox, a native of Alsace and a Confederate veteran. (THM 1985)

  • German Pioneer Marker: DeLeon Plaza. Dedicated to the German pioneers who traveled along the Guadalupe River in 1845 to settle the Texas Hill Country. (PVT 1995)

  • Grist Mill, Old: Memorial square. A regional historic mechanical engineering landmark. Its grinding stones were brought from Germany before 1860. (THM 1962)

  • Guadalupe River: South Moody Street. Discovered by Alonso De Leon in 1689 when he was on an expedition to locate Fort St. Louis. (CM 1936)

  • Hardesty, Richard Kyle, Law Enforcement Memorial: 101 North Glass Street. Lists the names of Victoria County law enforcement officers who died in the line of duty. (PVT 1976)

  • Hauschild Opera House: 202 East Forrest Street. Opened by George Herman Hauschild in 1894. It was used for vaudeville shows, plays, and silent movies. (THM 1984)

  • Heaton Home, Old L. D.: 307 South Bridge Street. Built in 1887. The architecture is Southern Colonial with lofty porch pillars and Georgian front entrance. (THM 1966)

  • Henderson House: 407 North Moody Street. A Classical Revival residence built about 1909 for John W. and Minna Catherine Henderson. (THM 1982)

  • Hill-O'Connor-Howard House: 802 West Power Street. Constructed in 1898-1899. The house was a center of early social activity and has detailing of the Victorian style. (THM 1981)

  • Infant Jesus of Prague Catholic Church: McFaddin Ranch. Built in 1916. The structure has shiplap siding and an attached entry bay at the gable front topped by a wooden cross. (THM 1990)

  • January, Captain James B. P.: Evergreen Cemetery. January was a veteran of the Texas Revolution, Mexican War, and Civil War. (THM 1962)

  • Korean War Veterans' Monument: Located in the Greenway Park Area in the Shenandoah subdivision. From Guy Grant Road enter the subdivision on Savannah Drive and continue on to Harper's Ferry Crossing. The monument is found in the park area on this street.

  • La Calle de los Diez Amigos: DeLeon Plaza Street of Ten Friends memorial marker. (PVT 1936)

  • Last Stand, The: DeLeon Plaza. Bronze sculpture by Pompio Coppini and dedicated to the soldiers of the Confederate States of America (PVT 1912)

  • Levi Home, Abraham: 4403 North Main Street. Ante-bellum home. Used as headquarters by federal troops during Reconstruction. (THM 1965)

  • Linn Home, John Joseph: City Hall Square. Residence was used to entertain members of the New Orleans Grays and the Alabama Red Rovers while on their way to Goliad during the Texas Revolution. (CM 1936)

  • Linn, John J.: Evergreen Cemetery. Linn was a merchant, alcalde, mayor, and member of the Congress of the Republic of Texas. (CM 1936)

  • Lowe Home, Alexander: 701 North Washington Street. Built in 1883 by Alexander Lowe, mayor and pioneer in refrigerated shipping. (THM 1965)

  • McFaddin Home, James A.: 207 West Commercial Street. Built in 1890. Home of James A. McFaddin, pioneer stockman. (THM 1967)

  • McFaddin Mercantile: McFaddin Ranch. Opened in 1910 to serve the residents of the McFaddin Ranch. (THM 1990)

  • McFaddin Post Office: McFaddin Ranch. A board-and-batten building that features a gable front and shed-roof porch. Opened as post office in 1913. (THM 1990)

  • McLean, William Pinckney Home: 200 West Forrest Street. McLean was a member of the Texas Railroad Commission and served in the state legislature and the U.S. Congress. (THM 1966)

  • McNamara House: 502 North Liberty Street. Constructed in the 1870s by W. J.. McNamara, a dealer in cotton, wool, and hides. The house is representative of rural Victorian gothic architecture. (THM 1965)

  • Memorial Square: 400 East Commercial Street. Laid out in 1824 as a cemetery when Martin De Leon founded Victoria. Pioneer Victorians and Texas Revolution soldiers are interred in the cemetery. (THM 1968)

  • Mission Nuestra Del Espiritu Santo De Zuniga: Lower Mission Valley Road. Third site of Mission Espiritu Santo. First organized ranching in Texas began at the mission. (CM 1936)

  • Mitchell School: 305 East Commercial Street. Built in 1902 and housed public school students from first grade through high school. (THM 1994)

  • Mount Salem American Baptist Church: 609 East North Street. Originally organized in 1872 in Indianola. The congregation moved to Victoria after the hurricane in 1886, bringing with it the church bell and pulpit. (THM 1997)

  • Mundt Place: 103 South Glass Street. Bolt in 1871 to serve as a hotel. Professor O. E.. Mundt used it as a school from 1893 to 1904. (1TIM 19661

  • Murphy Home: Nursery. The house, constructed in 1897, combines Southern plantation and New England saltbox styles of architecture. Was residence of W. M.. Murphy. Sr. (THM 1966)

  • Nave Memorial: 306 West Commercial Street. Built by Emmie McCan Nave, widow of noted regional artist Royston Nave. (PVT circa 1933)

  • Noll School and Cemetery: Mission Valley on FM 237. Joseph Noll donated two acres of land for a free community school. One of the acres became a cemetery. (THM 1977)

  • O'Connor-Proctor Building: 202 North Main Street. The edifice was constructed in 1895. It housed the offices of Thomas M. O'Connor, Venable B. Proctor, and Fred C. Proctor. (THM 1980)

  • Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church: 105 North William Street. The church was established to serve the German-speaking community. The current structure was built in 1924. (THM 1984)

  • Palestine Missionary Baptist Church: 608 East Convent Street. The church was founded by former slaves in 1868. The current brick church building was erected in 1953. (TH1991)

  • Pela House: 309 East Santa Rosa Street. The house was built in 1884 by Silvain and Elizabeth Pela. Among the prominent features of the house are the jig-saw balusters that outline the lower and upper porches and facade of the house, exemplifying Greek Revival detail. (THM 1997}

  • Phillips-Sale House: 701 North Street. The house was constructed in 1851 for Alexander H. Phillips, a Republic of Texas congressman and a state legislator. The original bricks of his house were made by slaves. (THM 1966)

  • Pioneer Marker: Memorial Square. The granite marker is dedicated to the soldiers of the Texas Revolution and pioneer families still buried in Memorial Square. (PVT 1947)

  • Power Home: 307 South William Street. Built in 1894 for Edward Power. The house is significant for its columns, wide porches, and wood trim. (THM 1966)

  • Pridham, Peter Underhay: Memorial Square. Pridham was a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto and tax assessor of Victoria County. (THM 1973)

  • Proctor House: 507 North Glass Street. This Colonial Revival style home was built in the early l900s for the Venable Bland Proctor family. The structure features two-story classical porches with Doric columns. (THM 1985)

  • Regan House: 507 South DeLeon Street. Built in Indianola in 1883 by merchant Dominick H. Regan. After the 1886 hurricane, the house was moved to Victoria. (THM 1996)

  • River Spur Site: Riverside Park. It was the location of a prehistoric campsite and was designated as a State Archaeological Landmark in 1993.

  • Rose Victor M.: 115 North Bridge Street. Rose was a newspaperman, a noted author, and a son of a Victoria County judge. His books include A History of Victoria County and The Life and Services of Gen. Ben McCulloch. (THM 1965)

  • Rose, Victor Marion: Evergreen Cemetery. Rose was a poet, editor, historian, and Civil War veteran. (CM1936)

  • Round Top House: City Hall Square. Built by Placido Benavides and was used as a refuge by Victorians during the Comanche raid in 1840. (CM 1936)

  • St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery: Inez on FM 444. Established in 1892 after four acres of land was conveyed from Frank and Anna Garvel. (THM 1986)

  • St. Joseph Catholic Church: Inez on FM 444. Established by Polish immigrants in the nineteenth century. (THAI 1986)

  • St. Mary's Catholic Church: 101 West ChurchStreet. The present structure was built in 1903-1904. St. Mary's Church is the first church organized in Victoria. (THM 1964)

  • Sengele Home: 210 East Forrest Street. The house was built in 1845 and is the oldest house in Victoria. (THM 1962)

  • Shillerville Cemetery: Six miles southeast of Victoria. The cemetery was named for Jan Shiller who initially settled the area. The first burial in this cemetery was in 1897. (TlIM 1986)

  • Smith, William Robert: Memorial Park Cemetery. Smith was a Texas Ranger, deputy sheriff, and police officer. (THM 1972)

  • South Bridge Street Historical District: The only National Register Historic District in Victoria. It was so designated in 1986.

  • Southern Pacific Railroad District, Site of: 900 East Santa Rosa Street. The depot burned in 1984. Its history. however, is a reminder of the railroad's importance to the economic and physical growth of Victoria. ((THM 1986)

  • Stapp, Darwin M.: Evergreen Cemetery. Stapp participated in the 1835 siege of Bexar. (THM 1962)

  • Street of Ten Friends, The: 600 Block of North Main Street. Designed and sculptured by Tom Jones (PVT 1974)

  • Texas Colonial Ranch Home: Nursery. The house was built in 1872 by W. H. "Uncle Billy" Kyle who was a trail driver, cattleman, and Civil War veteran. (THM 1980)

  • Thurmond Building: 901 South Bridge Street. The building was constructed in 1898 for C. L. Thurmond, Jr., for use as a general merchandise store and residence. (THM 1980)

  • Tonkawa Bank Vista of Mission Espiritu Santo: Riverside Park. Used by the Franciscans who were engaged in missionary work with Indians. It has been designated as a State Archaeological Landmark. (THM 1970)

  • Trail of Six Flags Monument: DeLeon Plaza. Dedicated in 1962 to the explorers, the founders, and the colonists of early Texas. (PVT 1974)

  • Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church: 106 North DeLeon Street. The church was organized by German immigrants in 1851. All worship services were conducted in German until 1914. {THM 1981)

  • Van Bibber, John: Evergreen Cemetery. Van Bibber was a survivor of the 1836 Goliad Massacre. (THM 1962)

  • Victoria: City Limits, north on Highway 77. The town was established in 1824. The community became a historic, trade, cattle, oil and industrial center. (THM 1964)

  • Victoria: East on Highway 59. The marker has information on the establishment of Victoria. (THM 1986)

  • Victoria Advocate, The: 311 East Constitution Street. The newspaper was established on May 8, 1846, by Thomas Sterne and John D. Logan. (CM 1936)

  • Victoria Advocate, The: 311 East Constitution Street. The second oldest Texas newspaper in continuous operation. It began as a weekly in 1846. (THM 1989)

  • Victoria County, C. S. A.: Location to be determined. The county was a transportation, military and supply center during the Civil War. (THM 1964)

  • Victoria County Courthouse,(Historic) lOl NorthBridgeStreet. Built in l892. The architect for the building was James Riely Gordon. The architectural style is castellated Richardson Romanesque. (THM 1961)

  • Victoria County Honor Roll-World War I: 115 North Bridge Street, Veterans Plaza. The monument lists the names of servicemen who died in World War I. (PVT 1937)

  • Victoria County Monument: Memorial Square. Victoria was one of the original counties created under the Republic of Texas. County boundaries have been decreased with the formation of other counties. (CM 1936)

  • Victoria County War Dead Monument: 115 North Bridge Street, Veterans Plaza. Lists the names of servicemen who died in World War II, Korean War, and Vietnam War. (PVT 1949)

  • Victoria's First Church: City Hall Square. Gives site of first church. (CM 1936)

  • Webster Chapel United Methodist Church: 405 South Wheeler Street. The church was organized shortly after the Civil War to serve newly freed slaves of the Victoria area. (THM 1981)

  • Weisiger, Robert S.: Evergreen Cemetery. Weisiger was sheriff of Victoria County for over twenty years. (THM 1968)

  • Weisiger, Sidney Roper: Evergreen Cemetery. Weisiger was sheriff of Victoria County, a veteran of World War lI, and a noted local historian. (THM 1981)

  • Williams House, B. P.: 401 East Murray Street. The structure was built in 1909 for B.F. Williams, a businessman and public official. The house represents Classical Revival and features two-story front Ionic columns complemented by a side gable pedimented portico with matching one-story columns. (THM 1987)

  • Wood, John Howland: Catholic Cemetery No. 1. Wood was a veteran of the Texas Revolution and a rancher. (THM 1985)

  • Woodhouse Home The: 609 North Wheeler Street. The house was completed in 1910 for Harry G. Woodhouse and his family. Interesting features of the structure include the classical pediment and the Queen Anne porch, Doric piers on the first floor, and Ionic columns above. (THM 1983)

THM=TEXAS HISTORICAL MARKER
CM=CENTENNIAL MARKER
PVT=PRIVATE MARKER

Return to Victoria Co. Home Page      Comments to Jack & Cynthia Buttram