Victoria City Seal
VICTORIA COUNTY, TEXAS
(A part of the TXGenWeb project and the USGenWeb Project.)

Vignettes of Victoria County

Extracted from the Victoria Advocate, Historical Edition, May, 1968
(See also Family Histories)

"When I came to Mission Valley I found here CAPT. DICK POWERS, J. D. GABLER, QUINCEY DAVIDSON, A. J. HAMILTON, D. M. STAPP, HUGH STAPP, OLIVER STAPP, NAT STUCKS, MAJOR ANDREWS, E. PARKINSON, J. M. EDGAR, SANTIAGO DE LEON and PATRICIO DE LEON." Written in 1883 by Col. JOHN EMISON, to VICTOR MARION ROSE for the Rose History of Victoria County.

(The following short biographies are in alphabetical order)

ADLER, Charles M., came to America from Germany in 1852. His family resided at Seadrift until 1897, then settled near Kemper City, engaging in ranching with success. Adler raised both blooded cattle and thoroughbred horses. Born in 1850, he died in 1939.

ALONZO, Frank. At one time he was one of the most extensive horse and mule traders in southern TX. Alonzo was born in 1859 in the province of Santander, Spain, where Spanish cattle that contributed to the development of the TX Longhorn originated. He immigrated n 1873, living for a year in Havana, Cuba, before locating at Victoria. Alonzo, prior to his death in 1942, was the last surviving charter member of the Victoria National Bank.

AUSTIN, Preston R., a native of Harrison County, son of HIRAM G. AUSTIN, prominent ranchman, and ELIZABETH ROSE, daughter of PRESTON R. ROSE, Victoria County plantation owner, was a partner with DAN SULLIVAN, San Antonio banker, in ranching interests in the counties of Calhoun, Brooks, and Maverick. Austin's wife, the former MARY TRAYLOR, was also a member of a widely known ranch family. Austin was born in 1872 and died in 1929.

BECK, Charles T., born in Germany in 1846, emigrated to the United States with his parents five years later. Landing at Indianola, the family located in Victoria County. Beck's ranch of some 25,000 acres was at Spring Creek. Too young to join the army, he rendered valiant service to the Confederate cause by transporting needed supplies. He was also a trail driver, taking many herds to northern markets. He died in 1923.

BURROUGHS, Reverend A. W., married Annie Tobin of San Antonio. He was the rector of Trinity Episcopal Church in Victoria from 1885 until 1906, when he moved to San Antonio. On September 27, 1928, Rev. Burroughs disappeared whil climbing a mountain in Colorado and was never found. - from Victoria Preservation, Inc. "Of Houses and Time."

BYRNE, Peter, native of Ireland, arrived in Texas in 1846 and not long after that was ranching in Victoria County in the Winn TRAYLOR neighborhood.

CALLENDER, W. L., a Kentuckian, arrived in Victoria County in 1858, acquired a farm four miles north of town, and engaged in the practice of law in partnership with W. S. GLASS.

CARSNER, Christopher, a carpenter and millwright, was an early immigrant to the United States, arriving in 1833 from Baden, Germany. He settled first in Mississippi, in and early in February, 1850, arrived in Victoria. He was a justice of the peace in 1852, studied law, was admitted to the bar, and later filled several offices under the Reconstruction government.

CASTRO, Count Henri, was an immigrant in another South Texas colonization contemporaneous with the German immigration. This new colonization brought numbers of excellent citizens to Victoria. Count Castro was a descendant of Portuguese nobility transplanted in France, and in 1842, contracted with the Republic of Texas to bring 600 families to a grant on the Medina River west of San Antonio. A total of 2,134 settlers were introduced, coming in mainly by way of Galveston and some at Indianola. The bulk of his colonists were from the French province of Alsace-Lorraine. Some of them en route to the Medina found what they wanted around Victoria, and settled here. Among the early arrivals from 1841 to 1846 were LOUIS FRITZ, JACOB FOX, LOUIS BRAUN, ANTON BISCHOFF, ANTON HANAUR, THEOBALD SENGELE, the JECKER BROTHERS, PETER and LOUIS, and the WILLEMAIN BROTHERS, CLOAT, LOUIS AND AUGUST.

CLARK, Robert H., who came to Victoria in 1854, was among the first area cattlemen to string barbed wire. Clark shipped cattle from Indianola and established a packery there. His ranches were near McFaddin and Nursery. He was a Mexican and Civil War veteran.
(The following additional information is from R. Paul Adams, Baton Rouge, LA, great-grandson of Robert Clark):
Robert CLARK, was an early settler in Calhoun Co. after fighting in the Mexican War, 1846-47. He was a pretty big rancher, with herds in both Calhoun and Victoria Counties. He was married to Pauline Virginia SHIRKEY. Both Pauline and her father, Col. John SHIRKEY, are quoted in Chris Emmettís book "TEXAS CAMEL TALES. "

CLARK, Robert Francis
(Also from R. Paul Adams, Baton Rouge, LA, great-grandson of Robert H. CLARK):
Robert Francis CLARK, grandfather of R. Paul Adams, was born in Indianola, Calhoun Co. Texas on 15 Nov. 1872, to Robert CLARK and Pauline Virginia SHIRKEY. Robert F. CLARK, of Victoria, died in Tishamingo, Indian Territory, on 26 May, 1904, while visiting with Dr. Abner S. CROCKER, his half-brother. He attended Augusta Military Academy in Ft. Defiance, VA (his motherís home state) and was graduated from the College of Academics, University of Texas in 1891. He married Miss Mattie Garrett CRAIN in 1897 and they had two children, Lorena Aileen in July, 1898 and R. Paul Adams' mother, Maude Lillian, on 14 March, 1901, born in Galveston. He was practicing law in Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana in 1900.

CROCKER, Jr., Dr. Abner S.
(Also from R. Paul Adams, Baton Rouge, LA, great-grandson of Robert H. CLARK):
Dr. Abner S. CROCKER, Jr. was born in Indianola, Calhoun Co. TX in 1867 to Pauline Virginia Shirkey Clark CROCKER and her husband. He was a half-brother to Robert F. CLARK (son of Robert H. CLARK and Pauline Virginia Shirkey CLARK.) He was a pioneer "horseback" doctor in Victoria County. He died in Oklahoma c1925.

CUNNINGHAM, John A. was in Texas as early as 1837, living first in Shelby County, then moving to Washington County, and coming to Victoria County in He had four sons. James CUNNINGHAM, was sheriff of Victoria County. H.S. CUNNINGHAM was a well known merchant John L. CUNNINGHAM was a leading citizen for many years, and A. CUNNINGHAM, an officer in the Sixth Texas Infantry C.S.A, died in the Yellow Fever epidemic of 1867.

DANIEL, Robert Lee, married Nannie STONER 17 October 1893. She was the daughter of George Overton STONER. In 1898 the Daniels moved to Victoria and had five children. Mr. Daniel was County Attorney from 1911 to 1921 when he was elected District Attorney. Nannie Stoner Daniel died 13 August 1942. Robert Lee Daniel Sr. died 23 October 1958. - from Victoria Preservation, Inc. "Of Houses and Time."

DAVIDSON, Quincy, a native of North Carolina, lived in Tennessee and Mississippi before settling in Victoria County in 1846. His ranch holdings were located at Mission Valley where he was a leading citizen for many years. He and JESSE O. WHEELER, distinguished Victorian, built the first bridge across the Guadalupe River at Victoria.

DICKSON, Francis, born in Pennsylvania in 1813, arrived in Victoria County in 1846, and reared a large family of children.

EAGAN, Bridget, came from New Orleans about 1846, opening a plantation on the Guadalupe River 10 miles south of Victoria. She had relatives here, including the LINNS, W. S. GLASS and Capt. PATRICK HUGHES. Mrs. Eagan returned to New Orleans in 1858 and did not come back to her property in Victoria County.

EMISON - The Emison family of Kentucky was one of the more prominent plantation families of Victoria County, arriving in 1850 and 1852. They were JOHN A. EMISON, then 26 years old, his parents and two other brothers, JAMES and GEORGE EMISON. They brought with them what was considered to be the first improved stock of cattle in the county, and also introduced Canadian saddle ponies. The family acquired the upper quarter of the EBEN HAVEN league of land on the Guadalupe, in the upper end of Mission Valley, and in 1852 John Emison purchased the farm of A. J. HAMILTON, who planned to leave the state because of his recent killing of DR. ED RAGLAND. John married FANNIE FIELD, and four of the Field sons, ALBERT G., STANTON S., JOHN M., and THOMAS M. EMISON served in various Confederate commands in the Civil War, and the father, in spite of advancing years, insisted on doing service in the Home Guards.

FAGAN, Joseph N., was one of the best known cattlemen of this section, owning ranches in the vicinity of Kemper City and along the San Antonio River. He was born in Victoria County in 1845, the son of John and Ellen (FOX) FAGAN and grandson of Nicholas and Kate (CONALLY) FAGAN. He made his home in Victoria for a number of years prior to his death in 1914.

FAGAN, Peter H., was a widely known area ranchman. Born in Refugio County in 1843, the son of Nicholas and Catherine (HANSELMAN) FAGAN, he died in 1929. His parents came to this country from Ireland about 1829. His father was a veteran of the TX Revolution and miraculously escaped the Goliad Massacre.

FIELD, Al G., was born in Warsaw, Kentucky, and in 1837, where his father, Capt. JOHN FIELD, a veteran of the Mexican War, published the Herald, said to be the first newspaper in the United States to advocate the annexation of Texas. Field was a foremost trail driver, following this hazardous pursuit until 1885. A distinguished Confederate soldier, he enlisted in the army at the age of 17. Field's ranch was at the Upper Mission Valley. RICHARD P. FIELD, a son, was also a well known Victoria ranchman. Field died in 1907. Capt. John Field, who settled at Mission Valley in 1852, had a distinguished career as an editor and legislator in Kentucky before locating here. Capt. Field commanded a company in the Mexican War, and despite advanced age was a Confederate soldier, Surveyor of Victoria, and he was the county sheriff at one time. Twice married, he was the father of 13 children. He was born in Virginia in 1799 and died at the age of 75.

FIELD, Capt. John, was head of another notable family from Kentucky. He arrived in Victoria in 1852, bringing other family members. He was born in Culpepper County, Va., in 1799. Capt. Field had commanded a company of Kentucky volunteers under Zachary Taylor at Buena Vista in the Mexican War, and had served two terms in the legislature of Kentucky. He brought his wife and eight children with him from Kentucky, was surveyor for the city of Victoria and served in 1857 as sheriff of the county. It was not long after the arrival of the Field family that COL. JOHN A. EMISON, in 1853, married the eldest daughter, Miss FANNIE FIELD.

FLEMING, Thomas N. Green Lake was one of the most prosperous communities in this section and there was many elegant hopes for it's continued success when Thomas N. FLEMING settled there in early manhood with his family. Upon the abandonment of Green Lake, Fleming moved to Victoria where he became a leader in the breeding of fine livestock He owned most all of what is now known as Fleming Prairie in the southern portion of Victoria County. Fleming, born in AL in 1822, died in 1908.

FLEMING, Thomas N., came from Alabama with his parents in 1849, and they became large property holders in the vicinity of Green Lake. He became prominent in the livestock business.

GOLDMAN, Adolph, brought a large herd of dairy cattle to Texas from Minnesota in the early 1880's, and established the first Victoria creamery. Goldman came to America as a youth from his native Bremen, Germany, and served as a Confederate soldier, locating in Victoria following the war. He built a cotton gin in 1889 and had extensive mercantile interests. He died in 1921 at the age of 84.

GONZALES, Jose Maria, established a ranch at Nursery after coming to Victoria County from Mexico. His herds were among the largest in South Texas, the returns from a single shipment often running into five figures. Gonzales was born in 1842 and died in 1899.

GOODWIN, Dr. Sherman, was another of the old-time doctors who came to Victoria from Ohio in 1850 and settled here to stay in 1851.

GRAVES, W. P., a native of NC, located at Kemper City about 1858 and for many years conducted a general merchandise store.

HALFIN, Henry and Jacob, brothers, were two of the more prominent German immigrants. They were merchants for many years, in partnership with their brother-in-law, ABRAHAM LEVI.

HARDY, Milton, was in Victoria County about the year 1840, serving as an alderman in that year. He was married about 1846 to MARGARET HARRISON DUNBAR, the widow of HARRISON DUNBAR who had been killed in a "private difficulty". Mrs. Hardy was the daughter of JOHN HEFFERNAN, an early settler around San Patricio in the McMullen-McGloin colony.

HARDY, Mr. and Mrs. WILLIAM, parents of MILTON HARDY , were both natives of Tennessee, who came to Texas in 1822, lived on the Sabine River, the Brazos River, came to Victoria County for a time as early as 1825, then moved to DeWitt's Colony on the Lavaca River. In the course of the Runaway Scrape during the Mexican invasion of 1836, Mr. Hardy died in the neighborhood of San Augustine. Mrs. Hardy brought her family to Lavaca in the fall of 1836, and on 19 October 1839 she married WILLIAM McMINN NUNER. William M. Nuner was killed 6 August 1840 in the great Commanche raid of 1840 and is buried in Memorial Square. Margaret Hardy Nuner gave birth to a son, JAMES INGRAM NUNER, 2 October 1840. She subsequently married JAMES INGRAM on 14 August 1842 and until 1858 the couple operated a well-known hotel in Victoria. (Thanks to Susan Young of Medford OR for the update on Margaret Hardy Nuner Ingram.)

HATHAWAY, Woodbury was reared in New Orleans by his relative, Mrs. BRIDGET EAGAN, and came to Victoria in 1846. He was a butcher, and for many years was in charge of meat markets for a well-established trade.

HOGAN, John Washington, native of Tennessee, moved to Victoria County from Burleson County, Texas in 1846, living out his life in the vicinity of Kemper's Bluff.

HUGHES, Patrick, born in Ireland in 1830, joined his aunt, Mrs. BRIDGET EAGAN, on her plantation in Victoria County about the year 1852. He became one of the most prominent ranchers in the area. His ranch consisted of what became the estate of the late Mrs. MINNIE (PATRICK H.) WELDER south of Victoria. Patrick Hughes's early life was saddened by the untimely death in 1866 of his wife, the former ELIZA TRAYLOR, to whom he was married in 1865. Hughes served through the war between the states as a Lieutenant in Capt. J. B. P. JANUARY'S company. A daughter, ELIZA, became the wife of JOHN J. WELDER, one of Victoria's foremost ranchmen. Hughes died in 1902.

HUNT, John, born in Macon, Georgia, in 1832, came to Victoria in 1845 and ranched south of town. His father was a member of the Texas Constitutional Convention of 1861. Hunt married ALABAMA TRAYLOR in 1856. A confederate soldier, he participated in the last battle. He lived to be past 91.

JAMES, Asbury, who came to Victoria County from Mississippi, was the first mail contractor on the route from Port Lavaca to San Antonio in the 1840's.

JANUARY, Dr. James B. P., was one of the most notable acquisitions for Victoria County at the close of the Mexican War. Born in Kentucky in 1812, he graduated from Transylvania University, moved to Mississippi in 1834 and in 1835 volunteered in that state for service in the Texas army. He came to Texas with Dr. JACK SHACKLEFORD'S Red Rovers from Alabama in 1836, most of whom died in the Goliad Massacre, but Dr. January became seriously ill soon after arrival and was sent back to New Orleans. He returned to Texas in time to miss the Battle of San Jacinto, but served as a surgeon in the Texas army around Victoria. He represented Jackson County in the Eighth Congress of the Republic of Texas, enlisted in the U. S. army for the Mexican War, and served under Zachary Taylor in Mexico. After the war he changed his residence from Texana to Victoria, and until his death in 1889 was one of the most honored of medical practitioners.

JORDAN, Hugh P., born in Virginia in 1830, came to Victoria 22 years later with his father-in-law, Col. JOHN SHIRKEY, prominent early settler. The Jordan ranch was at Crescent Valley. He is said to have built the first silo in Victoria County and to have invented a farm cultivator. He was a Confederate Soldier.

KYLE, William Henry, a native of Virginia, began his ranch career as a foreman of the Foster Ranch in Calhoun County and as a trail driver. A distinguished Confederate soldier and member of the famous Terry's Texas Rangers, he was also associated with A. H. (SHANGHAI) PIERCE, among the most colorful of pioneer Texas cattlemen, between the Civil War and 1876. Kyle later bought a ranch near Nursery and continued in the cattle business there. He died in 1908 at the age of 72. Kyle first came to Victoria County about 1856.

LEAVITT, A. B., born in the town of Turner, in ME, in 1812, came to Victoria in 1857 and became one of the earlier druggists. He later operated a grist mill on Coleto Creek.

LeSAGE, Charles, born in 1820 in Bavaria, came to America in 1849 and reached Victoria in 1855. He was a bookkeeper, and for many years was the city's assessor of taxes as well as secretary to the city council.

LEVI, Abraham, a native of France, located in Victoria in 1848, establishing the widely known firm of A. Levi & Co., succeeded by Victoria Bank & Trust Co. Levi had extensive farm and ranch holdings near DaCosta, Victoria and Levi-Sloan. He was born in 1822 and died in 1902.

LEVI, Abraham, a young merchant of French Jewish extraction, arrived in Victoria from Natchez, Mississippi in 1848. The Victoria business community gained a tremendous asset with his coming. He was born in the village of Hutte, in the province of Alsace, in 1822, worked his way to America on a sailing ship, and had already achieved some success at Natchez before he came to Victoria. After he had established himself in Texas, he went back to Mississippi to marry Miss Mina HALFIN, whom he had met there. Beginning with a small store, Abraham Levi in after years became the affluent senior member of the highly successful banking house and wholesale grocery business, A. Levi and Co.

MAHON, Peter F., came to America with his parents from Ireland in 1846, the family settling in Boston, MA. In 1857, after the death of his parents, he came to TX, first locating at Helena, Karnes County, and in 1860 in Victoria, where his brother, John. F. MAHON, a prosperous merchant, had preceded him. He was a Confederate soldier and after the war again became associated with his brother in the mercantile business. He entered the cattle industry in 1883 on the MAHON Ranch at Telferner.

MCCLANAHAN, Major John, a native of Roanoke County, Va., came to Victoria County in 1852 and practiced law in partnership with Judge A.H. PHILLIPS.

McCRABB, John F., ranched in Victoria and DeWitt Counties between Nursery and Thomaston. Born in DeWitt County, son of John and Mary (MILLER) McCRABB, who came to Texas in 1828, his father was this county's first tax assessor and district clerk at time of death in 1848.

McCUTCHEON, Willis, was among the better known trail drivers of this area. Willis and his father, William McCUTCHEON, took one of the first herds north in 1847, when the son was only 11. He was born in Williamson County in 1836, settling in Victoria County in 1879, where he became one of this county's most widely known cattlemen with extensive interests near Inez. He died Aug. 22, 1906.

McLEAN, William P., a native of MS, came to Victoria County to open a cotton plantation in 1858. He was a lawyer, served throughout the Civil War, and later moved to Mount Pleasant, in Titus County.

MITCHELL, Guy, was born 21 August 1870. He married Anna Charlotte EGG 11 January 1894. Anna EGG was born 3 May 1873. Mr. Mitchell became county judge of Jackson Co. shortly after 1900. Their only daughter, Melba, was born in Jackson Co. 4 March 1905. The family moved to Victoria, and Mr. Mitchell was District Attorney from 1910 to 1914. He was a partner in the law firm of PROCTOR, VANDENBERGE, CRAIN & MITCHELL until he died 10 September 1929. Anna Egg Mitchell died 26 September 1940. - from Victoria Preservation, Inc. "Of Houses and Time."

MITCHELL, Joseph D., ranchman, legislator and naturalist, was born in Calhoun County in 1848, moving to Victoria County in 1887 where he served on the City Council and was one of the founders of the Victoria Independent School District. He had lands in both Calhoun and Lavaca Counties. As a legislator, he authored the bill creating the State Fish, Oyster & Game Commission. Mitchell School in Victoria was named for him. His mother, a member of Austin's Colony, was a daughter of James KERR, surveyor-general of DeWitt's Colony. His father was a leading ranchman. Mitchell died in 1922.

MULLINS, Henry, born in Louisiana, came to Victoria County in 1848, later served as district clerk.

MURPHY, Michael, was successful as a ranchman, merchant and San Antonio River ferryman. He landed at New Orleans from Ireland in 1855, and was subsequently employed by Dan SULLIVAN & Co., in Indianola. He located in Victoria County in 1871. Murphy married Julia V. TEAL, daughter of Peter TEAL. Teal, a member of both DeWitt's and Power & Hewitson's Colonies, was one of this county's earliest ranchmen. Murphy and his bride were married at Indianola in 1871.

NICKELSON, John J., born in Green County, Ga., in 1813, arrived in Victoria County in 1847, and for many years was the operator of the Globe House, the town's principal hotel.

OLIVER, Andrew, a native of Ireland, came to Victoria to open a mercantile establishment in 1846.

ONDERDONK, Gilbert, who became a widely-known horticulturist, came to Victoria County in 1851 and for a time was in charge of a cattle ranch at Green Lake belonging to the Rev. S. F. COCKE. Later he bought land in Mission Valley and for many years was operator of the Mission Valley Nurseries.

PARKER, William E., for many years a preeminent druggist in Victoria, came here at the conclusion of the Mexican War. He had served in Mexico in a New York company in the expedition led by Gen. Winfield Scott.

PICKERING, E. E., came to Victoria in 1857 to join his uncle, JESSE O. WHEELER, railroad builder, merchant, and pioneer navigator of the Guadalupe River. Pickering had ranches at Placedo, in Victoria County, and Texana, in Jackson County. He and his brother-in-law, HUGH BOURKE, also an outstanding cattleman, were partners. Pickering, born in Illinois in 1832, died in 1890.

POLLAN, John
(the following information is from Howard E. Pollan):
John POLLAN is listed on the 1850 Victoria County Census, but his and his family's names are transcribed as PATTON. John Pollan immigrated to Texas about 1834 aboard a houseboat, landing at Copano. He was granted one League and one labor of land by the Power and Hewetson Colony on October 30, 1834. On October 1835 he was engaged in the storming of La Bahia as a member of Major George Collingsworth's company. As a member of Capt. Philip Dimmitt's company, John Pollan signed the historic Goliad Declaration of Independence. During the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1867, he lost his wife and youngest son within 16 days of each other.
When he was 78 years of age, John POLLAN wrote his biography at the request of the of the Texas Veterans' Association. " I was born May, 1806, in Granville County, North Carolina. Immigrated to Tennessee in 1818. Settled in Rutherford County. Moved to West Tennessee in 1821. Married in year 1827 in Madison County. Immigrated to Texas in 1834. Settled at Refugio on Aransas Bay. 1835 received conditional title to one league and labor of land from Col. James Power and Hewetson Colony. ................... I was in the great Indian raid of 1840 on Linnville. After they had the burned the town of Linnville and part of Victoria and had killed about 75 persons, we met them on August 9th in open prairie, they being 1,200 strong and all fully mounted. We had only 126 men and badly mounted, poor arms, badly equipped. We fought them three hours (but) did not defeat them until they arrived at Plum Creek, where we killed about 75 Indians. Took from them 200 pack mules with goods of their spoils at Victoria and Linnville, a coast town of about 1,000 inhabitants. They burned it all down after robbing it. I was a soldier at will for ten years. Saw much hard times, had many hard Indian skirmishes. I raised nine children to be grown and educated them all. Have lived near the same place all the time. Never been indicted, never been a prisoner, never been drunk, never been shot. Chew no tobacco nor smoke, me nor none of my family. We are all members of the church, myself for 59 years. I get my pension regular. This is a brief sketch of my life and a true one.
JOHN POLLAN "

POWER, Edward, born in Louisiana in 1846, came to Texas with his father, RICHARD POWER, a native of Ireland in 1848, settling at Mission Valley, where both father and son became successful ranchmen. The Power Ranch was originally owned by DAVID WRIGHT, an early settler. Power died in 1910.

ROGERS, George F., a native of Tennessee, came to Victoria in 1846 and began operation as a merchant, continuing in business later in partnership with his brother, SIMEON ROGERS.

ROSBOROUGH, Jos. M., resigned a district judgeship at Belton in 1892 to engage in ranching. He owned 35,000 acre Peter HINE Ranch in Refugio County and had extensive holdings in Victoria County. He was one of the original organizers of Victoria Bank & Trust Co. A native of TN, Rosborough came to TX with his parents in 1854, settling in Bell County. He graduated with a law degree from Cumberland University at 22, a member of the exclusive Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. Rosborough died in 1927, at the age of 74.

ROSE, Preston R., came to Victoria from Harrison County in 1846 and developed a 12,000 acre plantation nine miles south of Victoria which he enclosed with plank fence in 1858, possibly marking the first time for a fencing project of this magnitude in the state. Rose, who had numerous slaves, also employed many paid laborers. He shipped plantation products through Port Lavaca and Indianola and had an application pending for a charter to connect those ports by rail when he died at the age of 32 in 1860. He organized the Gulf Coast Fair Association in 1858. He was also known for his importing of blooded stock from Kentucky. Rose was born in Copiah County, Mississippi, in 1828.
(The following info on Preston Robinson Rose was sent in by Rosemary Crawford Kimble:
I am a descendent of Mary ROSE Scott who is the sister of Preston Robinson ROSE. According to the Bible Records of William Pickney ROSE and Mary Vardaman Smith ROSE, the parents of Preston and Mary ROSE, the following information is given on Preston's birth date: PRESTON ROBINSON ROSE was born April 20, 1822 in St. Tammany Parish, LA. He married 1845: Mary Ann SCOTT in Copiah Co. MS. (Mary Ann Scott, the daughter of Samuel Scott and Katherine Keller Scott, was b. April 27, 1830 and died July 25, 1905 in Juction, TX.) Preston Robinson ROSE died December 19, 1860 in Victoria, TX. More information is available in: THE HANDBOOK of TEXAS, VOL II, The Texas State Historical Association, Austin, TX 1952.)

ROSELL, Johnson, a tailor and merchant, settled in Victoria in 1841, and served for a number of terms as mayor.

RUNDELL, J. L. arrived in Victoria about 1848, and after the tenure of the NICKELSONS, for a number of years was operator of the Globe Hotel.

RUPLEY, Jacob was another holdover from the Mexican War. He was a native of Pennsylvania who served through the war in Mexico. He was a tinner, and settled in Victoria at the close of the war.

SAMPSON, Allen, born in Virginia in 1811, first settled in Texas on the Brazos River and came to Victoria, engaging in farming in 1848. Sampson is said to have assisted in putting down the Nat Turner slave rebellion in Virginia, tying with his own hands the hangman's knot around the neck of Nat Turner.

SHIRKEY, Col. John, born in Botetourt County, Va., in 1788 and a veteran of the War of 1812, came to Victoria County in 1852 to open one of the outstanding horse ranches in the area. He brought with him 18 fine American mares and a stallion of the Morgan strain. His ranch was located four miles below town.

SHIVE, John R., born in 1821 in North Carolina, came to Victoria County in 1848 and opened the first school for girls and young ladies. He died in 1853, and his widow, who became Mrs. VIOLA H. CASE, continued the operation of the school.

SHORT, Robert, a native of Tennessee, where he was born in 1823, served in the Mexican War in the regiment commanded by Col. George T. WOOD, and returned to Victoria to settle in 1847. He was a blacksmith by trade.

SIDICK, John R., was born in Refugio County, son of Anthony and Catherine (FAGAN) SIDICK, in 1846. His grandfather, John B. SIDICK , was among the earliest settlers in Victoria County, coming to TX from LA during the colonial days. One of the original land grants in this county was named for him. Sidick, who never married, owned and operated the Sidick properties in Refugio County. He left his estate to a cousin, Mrs. Thomas C. (Rose) HOLEMAN of McFaddin, when he died in 1914.

STONER, George O., successfully managed the large interests of the Stoner Pasture Co., at Kemper City. Born in TN, son of Michael L. STONER, wealthy pioneer ranchman in 1847, he died in 1920. Both father and son were Confederate soldiers, although the son was only 16 at the outbreak of the war. He was the last commander of Camp Scurry. George Overton STONER was the father of Mrs. Tom (Katherine) O'CONNOR of Victoria.

The following is an update on George O. Stoner from Rosemary Crawford Miller:
GEORGE OVERTON STONER was born May 18, 1847 in Kentucky, and died August 25, 1920 in Victoria Co., TX. He married ZILPA ROSE June 11, 1869 in Victoria, Texas, daughter of JOHN W. ROSE and MARGARET SCOTT. Zilpa was born October 17, 1850 in Saluria, TX , and died June 23, 1943 in Victoria Co., TX.
Census: 1880 Precinct 3, Victoria, Texas
Overton STONER - Self M M W 32 KY Occ: Stock Raiser Fa: KY Mo: KY
Gilpa (Zilpa ROSE) STONER - Wife F M W 25 TX Occ: Keeping House Fa: KY Mo: KY
Maggie STONER - Dau F S W 11 TX Fa: KY Mo: TX
Mamie STONER - Dau F S W 9 TX Fa: KY Mo: TX
Imogine STONER - Dau F S W 7 TX Fa: KY Mo: TX
Lizzie STONER - Dau F S W 5 TX Fa: KY Mo: TX
Michael STONER - Son M S W 2 TX Fa: KY Mo: TX
Robert STONER - Son M S B 12 TX Occ: Works With Stock Fa: TX Mo: TX Victor ROSE - Other M D W 37 TX Occ: Lawyer Fa: LA Mo: MS

Also in the 1880 census, Precinct 3, Victoria, TX Is this a brother to George Overton Stoner?

Relation Sex Marr Race Age Birthplace
William STONER - Self M M W 25 KY Occ: Stock Raiser Fa: KY Mo: KY
Dora STONER - Wife F M W 21 GA Occ: Keeps House Fa: GA Mo: GA
Overton STONER - Son M S W 1M TX Fa: KY Mo: GA

TIPPETT, Benjamin F., born in Halifax County, N. C. in 1785, served in the Creek War under Gen. Andrew Jackson and settled in Victoria County as a farmer in 1846.

TRAYLOR, William B., was born in Alabama in 1838 and came to Texas with his parents in 1840, where his father, Winn Traylor (see below), engaged in ranching and farming in Victoria and Calhoun Counties, and from a small beginning became one of the largest and wealthiest cattlemen of his day. William B. Traylor was a gallant Confederate soldier. He died in 1913.

TRAYLOR, Winn, born in Georgia in 1807, settled in Victoria County in 1840 from Alabama and became a successful ranchman. Traylor was a poor man when he first came to Victoria County, but industrious. He slowly, but steadily increased his fortune. His ranch was located in the Bloomington area about 15 miles south of town, long familiarly known as "Old Man Traylor's". He was the father of WILLIAM B., HENRY, and PASCAL TRAYLOR, Mrs. ALABAMA (JOHN) HUNT, and Mrs. ELIZA (PATRICK) HUGHES. Pascal was killed in battle during the Civil War, and William B. Traylor succeeded his father in the ranching business with equal success. Winn Traylor died in 1883, a wealthy man.

VENABLE, William G., from Prince Edward County, Va., came to Victoria County in 1850 and until the time of the Civil War was one of the largest cotton planters in the area. His plantation was located seven miles south of Victoria.

WARBURTON, John A., came to this country from England with his father, Thomas WARBURTON, when a small boy. His father soon died and Warburton was reared by a friend. He spent some years at various points in TX and CA before settling near McFaddin and ranching in Victoria and Refugio Counties. His wife was formerly Fanny FAGAN, daughter of Nicholas FAGAN, leading ranchman of TX Revolutionary fame. They spent their last years in San Antonio. Warburton was a gallant Confederate soldier. He was born in 1836 and died in 1914.

WARDEN, Julius C., came to Victoria County in 1860 and was among the first to stock his pastures with Durham. He owned extensive ranch interests in Southern Victoria County. Warden was born in Hardy County, VA, on Dec 31, 1837. He died in 1925. Mrs. Warden was the daughter of Edward McDONOUGH, one of the County's earliest settler's and signer of the first Declaration of Texas Independence. Warden's improved cattle suffered heavy losses in the beginning because of Texas fever.

WEDEMEIER, Henry C. - Members of the Prince Solmes von Braunfel's Colony, the family of Henry C. Wedemeier settled at New Braunfels from Germany in 1845 and located at Victoria some 11 years later. After transporting freight from Indianola to inland points for a number of years, Wedemeier engaged in the farm and ranch business at Spring Creek with notable success. Born in 1838, Wedemeier died in 1916.

WEISIGER, Daniel, brother of Dr. Joseph Weisiger, came from Kentucky and also settled at Mission Valley in 1855.

WEISIGER, Dr. Joseph, was head of the Weisiger family, which spread out in both Victoria and DeWitt Counties. He arrived at Mission Valley in 1852, from Kentucky. He had been born in Frankfort, Kentucky in 1794, and was a graduate of the Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia. He had practiced for 30 years at Danville, Ky. Dr. Joseph Weisiger's sons included DR. EVAN WEISIGER, CAPT. W. J. WEISIGER, who ranched in DeWitt County, and CAPT. R. N. WEISIGER, who lived in Victoria. As Kentuckians, they were fanciers of good horse-flesh and brought blooded stock with them.

WEISIGER, Reed N., native of Kentucky, came to Victoria County in 1852 where he raised thoroughbreds from the famous Alexander stables of Kentucky kinsman and owned Incomode, and other noted race horses. He served as chairman of Texas Senate Committee on stock raising. Weisiger was born in 1838 and died in 1909. He married ANNIE CALLENDER, of Victoria, in 1875. His mother was a descendant of a Virginia family related to Clays and Adamses.

WELLER, Cyrus Ottay, came to Victoria from Tennessee and for years was a salesman in the mercantile establishment of J. O. WHEELER, later going into the grocery business as a partner of C. L. THURMOND.

WHITEHEAD, W. J., native of Tennessee, came to Victoria County in 1847.

WHITNEY, George Lemuel, managed large interests for the Coleman-Fulton Pasture Co. for years. He later owned a leading hotel in Goliad, where he was mayor and county commissioner, but continued in cattle business. DuPont purchased land for it's Victoria plant site from a son and wife, Mr. and Mrs. James F. WHITNEY. Whitney was born in Charleston, IL, son of James Foster and Elizabeth (MORTON) WHITNEY, in 1837. He came to Victoria in 1855 and in 1866 married Tillitha STONER. Whitney also served as colonel in the Confederate Army.

WILLIAMS, David F., was a native of Kentucky and an early settler. He was a well-known ranchman at Anaqua. He married AMANDA JANE KEMPER, daughter of Col. JOHN FREDERICK KEMPER, for whom Kemper City was named. She was the granddaughter of Maj. WILLIAM P. MILLER, who with Col. Kemper, brought volunteers to Texas from Tennessee and together were spared from the Goliad massacre. Maj. Miller later became mayor of Victoria. KEMPER WILLIAMS, SR., of Victoria, is a grandson. Born in 1818, David F. Williams died in 1881.

WILLIAMS, Jordan arrived in Victoria County from North Carolina in 1846, and settled in the Canaan neighborhood.

WOLFF, Charles E., was born 20 January 1892 in San Antonio. His father was a San Antonio doctor. Charles went to work for the FRANZ Ford Motor Co. in Victoria as a mechanic and later became a salesman. He also was a partner in the FREIDLIN & WOLFF Cold Drink Stand. In 1922 Charles married Ellice WHEELER, daughter of William and Emma HAUSCHILD WHEELER. Ellice was born 23 August, 1898. Her father was Superintendent of Water Works for Victoria. Charles and Ellice had one son, Billy. - from Victoria Preservation, Inc. "Of Houses and Time."

WOOD, Tobe D., son of Maj. JOHN H. WOOD and a native of San Patricio County, became a widely known ranchman, and breeder of both fine cattle and thoroughbred horses. Wood was the original breeder of Sussex cattle in Texas, acquiring them in 1898 from a breeder in Tennessee. His ranches, in Victoria and Refugio Counties, covered many thousands of acres. Woodsboro in Refugio County was named for him. The late MRS. E. E. PICKERING was a daughter. Wood died in 1916.

WOOD, William A., was a brother of TOBE D. WOOD. His ranch was located east of Telferner, and the Wood Hi School was named for him. His wife, NELLIE BORLAND WOOD-KREISLE, a prominent Victoria clubwoman and civic leader, was the daughter of MARGARET HARDY-BORLAND. Born in 1861, he died at the age of 39.

ZIRJACKS, Christian, brother of Louis, was born in Germany 8 September 1833. He came to Victoria in 1854 where he was a blacksmith. He married MARGARETHA KRUM, widow of JACOB KRUM. They had no children, but adopted a daughter, CAROLINE BOCKMEIER. Margaretha died in 1901. Christian died 6 April 1912.

ZIRJACKS, Louis, brother of Christian, was born in Germany 17 April 1823. He immigrated to Victoria in 1850. He was a blacksmith by trade. He married CATRINA/CATHERINE GROMANDER/GRAMUNDER in 1854. They had seven children - META (died in infancy), AMALIE (m. F.C. SCHAEFER), LOUIS (m. ANNA TOMFORDE), FRANK (m. JULIA WINKELMAN), ANNA (m. JOHN TOMFORDE), CHARLES (m. KATIE LETZERICH), his twin KATIE never married. Louis died 27 Oct. 1871.

Return to Victoria Co. Home Page      Comments to Jack & Cynthia Buttram