to Van Zandt County "Post Offices, Cities, Towns and People" by Kitty Wheeler of Grand Saline, TX
Kitty Wheeler of Grand Saline spent several years researching the post offices, cities, towns and people of Van Zandt County. A portion of her work was published by the Van Zandt County Genealogical Society in "Histories and Biographies of Van Zandt County, Vol. II," which is still in print and available for purchase by sending a check or money order for $60 to the Van Zandt County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1388, Canton, TX 75103. This volume contains a portion of her post office research plus over 500 biographies of Van Zandt County citizens. Kitty Wheeler has generously given us exclusive permission to use all or part of her 500 page original manuscript.
Grand Saline Post Office
Grand Saline Post Office was established 19 Feb 1874. Following is a list of the people that served as postmasters and their appointment dates: Samuel Q. Richardson, 19 Feb 1874; Benjamin F. Pegues, 15 Apr 1878; William W. Kinloch, 6 May 1878; A.G. Ridgill, 1 Sep 1879; Charles H. Reeves, 9 Dec 1879; John G. O'Hara, 25 Jan 1881; James A. Pegues, 3 Aug 1881; J.C. Austin, 27 Sep 1881; J.J. Ramsey, 26 Feb 1889; Thomas B. Meeks, 11 Jun 1889. Also James C. McCollough, 25 Jul 1893; Denny E. Walsh, 15 Jun 1897; George D. Staton, 15 Jul 1916; Ecoch G. Fletcher, 16 Oct 1921; Elbert L. Fletcher, 1 Oct 1925; William E. Shields, 15 Mar 1926; James S. Carter, 1 Sep 1927; Willard Proctor, 16 Aug 1940; Mrs. B.E. Elizabeth Proctor, 16 Jan 1942; (Named changed by marriage to Mrs. B.E. Elizabeth Clay on 5 Sep 1946, and to Mrs. B. Elizabeth Chevalier on 26 May 1962). Also, Willis H. Roberson, Jr., 15 Jul 1963; Chris Gilbert, 1 Jan 1977; David McKee, 15 Jun 1979; and Elroy Doggett, 16 Jan 1983.
At the close of the Civil War, Samuel Q. Richardson, the first postmaster, resumed his salt evaporating activities at Jordans Saline, naming the enterprise the Grand Saline Salt Company. In order to secure a depot from which to ship his salt to Shreveport and to other points over the south and southwest, on 16 Feb 1872, he sold for the sum of $1 to the Southern Pacific Railroad the right of way through and over any and all of his land and a sufficient amount on each side of the railroad as much land as necessary for depots and stations, together with the use of the wood timber and water.
In the latter part of July 1873, the railroad was completed across Van Zandt County. The next month, Chief Engineer Granville M. Dodge personally located and divided the town of Grand Saline into lots and blocks. The plat was not filed until 5 Mar 1875. During 1873, he constructed a twenty by sixty foot depot, a water station and .295 mile long segment of side track, while workers paved a general assortment of streets.
On 3 Mar 1875, S.Q. Richardson, for the sum of $5.00, agreed to establish and maintain a depot at Grand Saline and did "grant, bargain, sell and release unto Granville M. Dodge, Chief Engineer, all that tract of land in the county of Van Zandt and State of Texas, on survey made by virtue of headright location of Samuel Bell and described as follows, to wit:
"Commencing seventeen hundred and thirty-six (1735) feet north and forty-seven and forty-six (4746) feet east of the north west corner of three hundred and twenty acre tract sold and deeded to Robert McKinney by John Jordan in the south west corner of the Samuel Bell Headright survey at a store thence north 1 degree 15 minutes east one thousand and eighty-nine (1089) feet to a store thence south 88 degrees 45 minutes east two thousand (2000) feet to a store then south 10 degrees 15 minutes west one thousand and eighty-nine (1089) feet to a store thence north 88 degrees 45 minutes west to the place of beginning containing fifty acres of land more or less all bearing being without variation the said tract being a part of the town of Grand Saline established on the line of the Texas and Pacific Railway."
I have underlined the words store, bringing attention to the fact that at least four stores had been established in Grand Saline by this time along with the post office established the year before.
On 9 May 1876, Granville M. Dodge, for the sum of $1, sold to the Texas and Pacific Railway Company the above described property. Richardson, in 1875, decided to move to Dallas. He leased his salt works to a St. Louis Company organized by a G.M. Overlease, which company set to work replacing the crude kettles with large shallow pans, using sunlight instead of fire for evaporation. Later Richardson returned to Grand Saline and again took over his salt works.
In 1877, Henry W. Birge of New York and his associates temporarily operated the Grand Saline Salt Works with eastern capital. Through a contract with Richardson, they utilized his machinery and supplies in evaporation for not less than twenty-eight months nor more than ninety-nine years. With little delay they installed sun evaporation vats ten feet long, five feet wide, and four feet deep. Hence they expanded production to 400 sacks of "fine" salt per day until Richardson returned to reclaim his business.
In 1889, Major Bryon Parsons of Evansville, Indiana came to Grand Saline and on the north side of the railroad organized the Lone Star Salt Company. They drilled wells into the vast salt dome which lies underneath Grand Saline, poured water into the ground, then pumped back the brine for evaporation in large shallow pans. In 1900, Sam Richardson had passed away, and the heirs of the estate employed a manager to run the Grand Saline Salt Works.
In 1901, the Fielder Salt Company was organized by Alva Fielder. The Fielders came from Mississippi. On 27 Jan 1885, A. Fielder married Miss Alice K. Price, who lived only a short while. On 17 Dec 1890, he married Miss Sallie Richardson, daughter of S.Q. and Mary J. Williamson Casen Richardson.
In 1904, B.W. Carrington Company bought out the Fielder interests, the Lone Star Company and the Southern Salt Company, owned by A.W. Wilderspin. Also in 1904, the Richardson Salt Works were sold to Emerson Carey and J. Kirk. The plants were enlarged, improved, and in 1905, sold to T.S. McGrain. McGrain increased the capacity of the Grand Saline Salt Company to 750 barrels a day and operated the company until 1919. B.W. Carrington shut down the Southern Salt Company and abandoned the Fielder plant, concentrating on the Lone Star Works, modernizing it, and boosting up the output of salt to some 2,000 barrels a day.
On a Wednesday night in October 1917, a lantern exploded in the plant of the Grand Saline Salt Company and set fire to the entire works, causing $100,000 worth of damage. Mr. McGrain rebuilt the plant, but in 1919, it caught fire again. After this it was not rebuilt. In 1920, the Morton Salt Company bought the interest of B.W. Carrington and the Grand Saline Salt Company acquiring rights to nearly all the salt in Grand Saline.
On the ground where today Brookshires and Perry Bros. is located. Morton Salt Company built a momentous manufacturing plant where the famous grade of Morton's salt, Blue-Label, Free-Running Salt, sold under the slogan "When It Rains It Pours" was evaporated out of brine pumped from the ground from the salt dome that lay underneath. Morton Salt began experimenting by drilling wells into the ground at various junctures in and around Grand Saline and discovered that a mile south of the town lay a magnificent salt deposit, more than a mile wide, a mile and a half long, lying but two hundred feet under the surface of the ground, and extending down indefinitely. Drillers had bored into it as much as a thousand feet.
In 1929, Morton Salt Company engaged Allen and Garcia Company of Chicago, consulting and construction engineers, to open a mine in the salt dome, to mine salt much in the same manner as coal is mined. This is done by blasting large chunks and crushing it into various grades for sundry uses. The salt discoveed there was 99.9% pure. purer than any salt found theretofore.
In fact, some chunks of salt brought from the mine appear much as large pieces of glass - crystal clear.
In opening the mine, a shaft was sunk into the salt deposit 750 feet. They had some difficulties with a subterranean river through which the shaft was forced to pass. The shaft sunk in sixteen months, was circular in shape, 14 feet, 6 inches in diameter and was heavily blocked with concrete. In the 1940s, it was 700 feet underground to mining level. The mine was worked on a room and pillar system similar to coal mining, though the working space in the salt mine was much greater; the rooms were 60 feet wide, 80 feet high, and 350 feet long. On the surface of the ground directly over the mine, a large plant was constructed and put into operation in January 1931.
The superintendent of the construction crew was J.S. Hanes, a mining engineer, who after the mine was completed, was retained by Morton Salt Company as superintendent of the mine, and later rose to be superintendent of the Morton Salt Company. The Morton Salt Company is itself a pioneer American organization and dates its ancestry back to 1848 in Chicago when the town was a rip-roaring western outpost. Today (1990) it lacks eight years being 150 years old. It has survived the trials and tribulations and the peaks of prosperity, that have permeated the growth of the American nation. Presently it is known as Morton International.
Shortly after the railroad was completed in September 1873, the County Commissioners Court ordered..."that a new road be laid out upon the best, straightest and most practicable road. Beginning at the town of Edom and running thence to the Grand Saline depot on the Texas and Pacific Railway. That said road be a first class road and that J.H. Palmer, G.L. Molin, D.M. McPhail, John Stanger, and R.C. Tankersly be and they are hereby appointed a Jury of Review to lay off said road and make their report at the next term of this court..."
It is said that S.Q. Richardson opened the first store in Grand Saline. It quite probably was one of the four stores referred to in the aforementioned deed dated 3 Mar 1875. Being an enterprising businessman, he could have been inspired to open the store to serve the needs of the workers on the railroad. Other early stores were owned by a Mr. Sawyer and J.C. McCullough. Tom Burns put up the first saloon in 1873, located on Pacific.
The above mentioned store owner, James Curry McCollough, was born 6 Sep 1852, in Alabama. The grandfather of James C. was David McCollough of Scots extraction. They came from Ireland to America in an early day and settled in South Carolina. Thomas D. was his son and the father of James who was reared on a farm in Alabama. In early manhood he lived awhile in Magnolia, Arkansas prior to coming to Texas and settling in Grand Saline, where he married Miss Emma Cason, born 1855, in Georgia, daughter of Mrs. Mary J. Casen Richardson and step-daughter of S.Q. Richardson. Immediately after their marriage, James entered the general merchandising business in Grand Saline. He was quite successful in this enterprise and later became owner of several farms and a large body of land adjoining the city. In 1904, he not only was still operating the general store, but also had a good deal of city property, including two brick stores, one of which he occupied. He was a director in the bank and had an elegant two-story, victorian style home. James C. McCollough died in 1939, and is buried in the Creagleville Cemetery.
A colorful and interesting character, one who operated the first cafe in Grand Saline when it was a wild and wooly, rip-roaring mining town was a Mrs. Clancy, better known as "Aunt Clancy".
Aunt Clancy ran an eating place back in the early 1870s, 80s and 90s. She reigned over her abode of refreshments with absolute authority, and hard men dared not become boisterous or discourteous, for Aunt Clancy would reach for her "forty-five", which she kept underneath the counter. She did not like children, but would go out of her way to be kind to animals. If she had no morsel of food remaining from dinner or supper, and a stray dog or cat came to the bank of her cafe, she would cook food for it. If farmers left horses standing too long without drink, she would go to the community well and draw water herself for the animals. In her receding years, she was lame, but fared not too ill by virtue of the fact that she was a privileged character - would walk into any store, take what she needed for existence, and no proprietor would ever think of charging her for it. She died in 1903.
The early citizens of Grand Saline were greatly perturbed by the pesky bovine belonging to Squire J.J. Ramsey, Justice of the Peace, and also the owner of a small store located next door to a store owned by J.Q. Alphin. This bovine was known as "Ramsey's Cow". Mr. Ramsey had received her as payment for divorcing a couple which he had married. However, had he known what fate lay in store for him, he would not have cherished this payment so dearly. She was often seen rummaging the grocer's shelves or tearing through feed sacks. During a process of loading a wagon, she had the knack of always being in the exact place that she wasn't wanted. In fact she was quite a dare, for nothing would daunt her; not even "high life." Upon one escapade while in a wagon tearing up sacks, her foot slipped between the bed and the step she was on, and she firmly lodged herself. It was necessary to move the bed to free her. Between the protests of Mrs. Ramsey in fear they would injure the cow, the undesirable remarks and grumbling of the men and the old cow herself with her loud mooing, caused quite a disturbance. Another mishap which occurred to this town disturber, was that of hanging a lady's hat bedecked with flowers, ribbons and laces on one of her horns. For once her nonchalance was disturbed and she went running through the street in terror of this harmful enemy which had attached itself to her. This brought the townspeople out to see if someone was finally killing the creature. Tradition tells us that to the relief of the nearby inhabitants, this much despised cow was sold to the butcher. Upon cutting into her, there was discovered, amid a nest of barbed wire and twine, the long-lost key to the jail house.
On a Saturday in November 1885, a gentleman from the Wills Point Chronicle visited the little village of Grand Saline. He found the businessmen well supplied with good stocks of goods. He went on to report that Grand Saline had a good school in town taught by Prof. L.L. Bartlett. he found that Charley Morrison, Dr. J.C. Austin, P.H. Wolfe, and W.R. Van Artsdale were getting up a stock company to run a canning factory for fruits, vegetables and meats. They lacked only one share of having the necessary amount of stock subscribed and felt assured of soon getting that, and would commence at once on the establishment.
There was a lot of excitement in Grand Saline on Friday, 14 May 1886. The following article appeared in the Wills Point Chronicle on 20 May 1886: "SHOOTING AT GRAND SALINE - Two Men Seriously Wounded - We had a terrible shooting affray at this place on last Friday, the 14th inst., between Mr. J.M. Carrol, Mr. W.J. Padget and his son, Robert Padget. Carrol and Robert Padget are both seriously wounded. It seems the fuss grew out of an old feud. On last Christmas the Padget boys and others, serenaded Mr. R.H. Neal, who thereupon prosecuted the boys for disturbing the peace. The Padgets then filed a complaint against Carrol, who is a nephew of Mr. Neal, for carrying a pistol. This worked up bad blood on both sides. The parties met here at our precinct court on the day above stated. The first I noticed of any trouble was Mr. W.J. Padget and Mr. Carrol, who were standing in front of J.C. Austin's store, and the latter was cursing the former, who had a gun in his hand. Carrol had no gun. Mr. Padget said he did not want any fuss, and started off like he was going home, and said to his boys, "let's go." Carrol then went in the store and got a double-barrel shotgun and followed the Padgets nearly to their horses, all the while cursing old man Padget in the vilest manner possible, and saying, "You haven't got the nerve to face me"!d Robert Padget who was standing 30 or 40 feet to the left of his father, said "You are a ___ ___ liar." Carrol then turned from the old man, and started towards Robert, cursing him as he went. Robert presented his shotgun, Carrol doing likewise, and both fired. Padget shot a little first. Carrol staggered and started to run, firing the other load at old man Padget, but missed his aim. By this time Robert Padget, steadying himself, shot Carrol the second time, in the neck and shoulder. Carrol fell, but regained his feet by pulling up by the house, and was assisted to mount the gallery, where he loaded his gun. By this time old man Padget had helped Robert on a horse and started home, when Carrol shot at them again, but missed, I think. I have not seen Robert since, and do not know the nature of the wound, or how many shots hit him. Carrol has 12 buck shot in this right breast from the first fire, and 4 in his neck and shoulder, from the second. I think it's impossible for Carrol to live. I think all the parties were sober. It is to be lamented that such things will happen, and we have some law abiding men here who regret it very much. We want to raise our moral standing, rather than depress it. We need emigrants and plenty of them to settle up our country, but such scrapes as this are reported all over the United States, and men of means do not care to come among us, as our reputation for morality is not very enviable anyway."
The following week some of the citizens' reactions to the shooting was related in the newspaper on 27 May 1886: "...During the shooting at Grand Saline the other day, "Squire" Ramsey, Ed Rosinbaum, Will McCurley and Judge Spinks took refuge in a vacant house, in which there was nothing behind which to hide, except a table and an empty flour barrel. After the fight was over, it was found that Ramsey had climbed a leg of the table, and Spinks and Rosinbaum each had one foot in the barrel, and McCurley had taken refuge behind Spinks foot, and he said unless they fired a Krupp gun he felt safe. Ed said as he crawled out of the barrell, "Spinks, are we all killed?"
The spring session of school in 1886, in Grand Saline was taught by Miss Lizzie Simpson, a very nice young lady. She had 35 scholars.
In March 1887, there was an advertisement in the Wills Point Chronicle for a grocery store in Grand Saline. It was for P.H. Wolfe, a dealer in wines, liquors, cigars, fine tobaccos and also all kinds of canned goods. The ad emphasized low prices to suit the "close" times.
In June 1887, Mr. T.F. Young, an efficient and good looking man, had established a new drug store and stated he would always be found ready to cater to the wants of the afflicted; Dr.J.S. Joslin had his saw mill running on full time and was turning out some fine lumber, and Mr. J.C. Morrison had his mill and gin in first class order for the new crop of cotton. Also, there was much excitement for some of the enterprising citizens had discovered mineral ore, near Grand Saline, rich in silver and other metals and coal deposits had been found north of the area. It was believed that not only was there salt, but also iron, copper, silver, and coal and all that was wanted was capital enough to develop it.
The owner of a mill and gin business in Grand Saline in the late 1880s, was D.D. "Dan" Richardson, born 11 Dec 1859, in Congers, Georgia. Dan was the grandson of Levi Richardson who moved from South Carolina to Georgia and became the father of James Richardson, born 1844, in Congers, Georgia, and the father of Dan. When Dan was 10 years old he moved along with his family to Texas. On 8 Jun 1882, Dan married Miss Emily Rose and made his home in what would be known later as Rhodesburg, a suburb of Grand Saline. In 1898, Dan entered the ministry and by 1904, was in the general merchandising business.
On Saturday, 10 Aug 1889, a murder took place in a cornfield near Grand Saline. Sheriff H.F. Blackwell took into custody one Isorn M. Williams, a man thirty-one years of age, who murdered Dr. James Stanford Joslin, a man sixty years of age. Williams was a renter on Joslin's farm and there seemed to be a misunderstanding regarding some corn Williams was to gather. Dr. Joslin came upon Williams in the cornfield when he was pulling corn alone, and they had some words which resulted in Williams stabbing Joslin seventeen times with his pocketknife, producing instant death. Williams went at once to Grand Saline, a short distance, and gave himself up to the authorities. He waived extradition before Justice of the Peace Ramsey, but was refused bail, and as a consequence, remained in the county jail to await the action of the Grand Jury. Williams was a single man, but was supporting a sister and an invalid brother. Joslin was a man with a large family and many friends. Isorn M. Williams received two years in the penitentiary for manslaughter.
In 1891, Thomas Hansford and Bettie Bennett moved from Canton to Grand Saline to live at 209 East Hill Street, where they took in boarders. Bettie served family style meals at a long dining-room table, and people from town would come to eat. Thomas was born 14 Aug 1861, in Tennessee. His parents died when he was very young and he and his sister, Lula, were raised in an orphanage in Tennessee. He came to Texas in 1882, and married Elizabeth (Bettie) Robertson 15 Dec 1887, in Canton. Bettie was born 22 Aug 1872, in Lindale, Smith County, Texas, daughter of Elijah Augborn and Elizabeth Matthews Robertson, pioneer citizens of East Texas. Mr. Robertson was a carpenter, and he helped build the I & G N's first bridge across the Sabine River between Mineola and Tyler. Elijah was born 22 Sep 1828, in North Carolina and Elizabeth was born 28 Nov 1836, in Alabama. They were married 2 Mar 1856, in Clinton, Hinds County, Mississippi.
Thomas Bennett worked with the T & P Railroad Section Crew and was section foreman from 1895, until 1921, then was section foreman on the Short Line for three years. From 1928-1937, he was sexton at the Woodside Cemetery in Grand Saline. Thomas and Bettie had seven children. He died on 19 May 1939, and Bettie died 3 Nov 1944.
In 1892, on a July evening a gala occasion was held at the new Lone Star Hotel built by Major Parsons, owner of the Lone Star Salt Works for the accommodation of the employees of the plant. Those arriving by train that night, if not met by a carriage, would have had to walk on a crooked path through dense woods to reach the hotel. The hotel was an eight-room frame building with east and west porches, located on the corner of Spring and Frank Streets. It was a source of great pride of the citizens of Grand Saline, as well as a welcomed home away from home for many weary travelers.
A famous early movie actress, Louise Fazenda, lived as a child in the old Lone Star Hotel. Her father, J.A. Fazenda, of New Orleans, and her mother, formerly Nelly Shilling of Lafayette, Indiana, were married in Dallas and as a young bride and groom came to Grand Saline where Mr. Fazenda worked for Lone Star Salt Co. as a cooper. Four years later, Mrs. Fazenda went to Lafayette, Ind., where Louise was born. She returned to Grand Saline when Louise was barely two months old. A year later the family moved to California where Louise, as a young lady, studied acting. She joined Warner Bros. as an actress and rose to national fame and married Hal Wallis, an executive of Warner Bros.
A gentleman that was also a resident, at one time, of the Lone Star Hotel was J.E. Persons. He came to Van Zandt County from Jefferson County, New York around 1890, to work as a salesman and general worker for the Lone Star Company under Major Parsons. John Edward Persons was born 19 Sep 1865, and prior to coming to Texas married Miss Mary Brown. She followed her husband to Texas in 1891, and for awhile they lived in the hotel. That same year, J.E. began a lumber business in Grand Saline.
At that time, Grand Saline was a mere settlement of some 300 people, and about ten business establishments, half of which were saloons. All of the business buildings were one story, except for that of T.B. Meeks, a two-story frame. Main Street was the only navigable street. The rest of the town was a former wild forest, then dotted with stumps which Major Parsons hired T.B. Meeks to haul off with oxen. In 1892, J.E. added lines of hardware to his lumber business and in 1905, the two firms named J.E. Persons Lumber Company and J.E. Persons Hardware Co., became the Salt City Company, and continued under that name for many years. Mr. Persons was tall, slight, and had very sharp features. He passed away 26 May 1932. Surviving him were Mrs. Persons, Earl Persons, J.E. Persons, Jr., and a daughter Adene (Mrs. A.A. Buchart of Milwaukee, Wisconsin). Mary Brown Persons, born 27 Aug 1867, followed her husband in death on 23 Jun 1958.
Grand Saline's first newspaper was published for 600 readers in 1893, by J.B. Spinks and was called "The Rustler". Also in 1893, a young man began his law practice in Grand Saline, Julius A. Germany. The family, though German in name, was of Irish ancestry. Mr. Germany's grandfather was John Germany and was born in North Carolina but later lived and died in Mississippi. He was a farmer. His son, J.W. Germany, father of Julius, was born in Mississippi; was a general businessman, and came to Texas in 1866. J.W. Germany married Elizabeth C. Tumlinson 4 Jun 1868, and had eight children. Julius A. was born in 1870, in Van Zandt County and was educated in the common schools and in Southwestern University, where he graduated. He married Miss Black, of Madisonville, Texas. Mr. Germany was a member of the order of Elks, and K. of P., and engaged in many interesting law cases in this county. He was an affable, generous and public spirited man.
Much like Canton and Wills Point, citizens of Grand Saline proceeded to incorporate. After B.H. Kuykendall petitioned the commissioners court on 29 Mar 1895, voters finally approved the proposal 79 to 13 on 12 Oct. Almost immediately they elected A.W. Wilderspin as mayor; T.B. Meeks, Dr. Kuykendall, Lon Sparks, George Scott, John Yarbrough and T.M. Joslin as councilmen; and J. Jones as marshall. The following is taken from the Code of City Ordinances of the newly incorporated city of Grand Saline. It was signed by A. Wilderspin, major, and J.W. Kuykendall, secretary.
Article 1 of the Ordinance dealt with the speed a person could drive or ride a horse through the city..."no horse shall be ridden or driven through any of the streets or alleys at a speed faster than an ordinary trot... (driver) shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor."
Article 2 spoke of "loud noise". It was suggested that this Article was aimed at politicians who were shouting from nail kegs in those days.
Article 3 dealt with "persons who shall leave any team or horses or mules standing hitched to a wagon, cart, buggy, carriage or other vehicle and leave no one to watch and prevent such team from running off... (and that such persons) shall be fined." In 1924, this Article was interpreted to mean "cars left running unattended".
The new mayor of Grand Saline, Anderson "Andy" Wilderspin was brought to Grand Saline in 1890, by Major Parsons. He became the first superintendent of the Lone Star Salt Company. Andy was born 18 Jul 1865, son of J.W. Wilderspin. In 1890, Andy returned to his homeland, England, where he became the husband of a lovely young lady. A slender slip of a girl with a complexion like milk and roses who became a beloved citizen of Grand Saline known as "Aunt Lucy". Lucy was born 12 Dec 1865. Andy Wilderspin passed away 13 Nov 1910, and Lucy joined him in death 9 Sep 1948.
Ads appearing in the newspaper in 1895, were: "When you feel the need of a pure old Mellow Whiskey for medical or family use write to F.M. Craddock pretty often, and only three dollars per gallon"; "Millinery Goods in Exchange for Chickens", signed Mrs. N.E. Anders; "Lone Star Salt Company; Meeks and Persons Company...the largest general merchants in Grand Saline; Smith's Drug Store; J.F. McLain General Merchandise; Grand Saline Bank; J.W. McNair and John King Meat Market; Grand Saline Grade School; G.W. Tucker, Blacksmith; Palace Barber Shop, and Kentucky Sour Mash, four dollars per gallon..."
A gin was operated for awhile by John R. Kennedy (Monico postmaster) in Grand Saline until on 26 Jan 1895, when he sold Lots #5 and #6 of Block 9 along with his half interest in the gin house, gin stand, presses, mill, engine boiler and all other improvements. John R. and his wife, Fannie, sold this property for $225 to J.F. McLain. On 12 Aug 1898, T.B. Meeks and 107 others requested an election to consider abolishing the corporation which had existed for three and one-half years. Probably because of debts totalling $446.47, residents voted 121 to 65 to end the municipality. After approving an ad valorem tax of 24 cents per $100 assessed valuation to retire the obligation, they voted 98 to 5 to reinstate the former city government on 6 Jul 1900.
The following was in the newspaper, the Van Zandter on 24 Nov 1899: "Winnsboro Wide-Awake: Judge Spinks of Van Zandt County has announced for congress from this district. Judge Spinks will please rise up and tell us who in the devil he is anyway. "You'll soon find out who he is. Now, Napier, you are too good a fellow to pretend Judge Spinks is such an obscure personage that even the newspaper men of his district don't know him. Judge John S. Spinks was born at Holly Springs, Mississippi in 1851. He moved with his father, Gen. W.B. Spinks, to Arkansas in 1860. He fought in the Civil War when he was but thirteen years of age. Judge Spinks came of a race who were ever ready to respond to their country's call, his father having served as a major in the Mexican War, his father's father was a captain in the War of 1812, and his great grandfather on his father's side was a Colonel in the War of the Revolution. His mother's father was a Colonel in the United States Army and fought with Jackson at New Orleans. Judge Spinks was superintendent of Public Instruction for Loanoke County, Arkansas, during 1873, '74, '75, and took a prominent part in the Brooks-Baxter War, the result of which freed Arkansas from carpetbagger rule. He was made a Colonel in the State Guards in 1874. He came to Canton, Texas, in 1875, and engaged in teaching.
In 1880, he commenced the practice of law at Canton, Van Zandt County, and was elected county judge in 1882, was reelected in 1886, and served until 1892, when he resigned and was elected Presidential Elector on the Cleveland and Stephenson ticket. Judge Spinks had announced his candidacy for congress from the Third district and the people of Van Zandt were behind him with enthusiasm.
In April 1901, several items were reported about Grand Saline in the Wills Point Chronicle. Three accidents involving the railroad were mentioned. One involved an accident that occurred at the tank one mile west of town doing some damage to cars and slightly injuring one of the crew. The train broke into and the two sections collided. The other two involved injury to people. A little boy by the name of Robert Jones, was seriously though not fatally hurt by the work train as he was swinging on the side of a flat car and looking backward when his head and back struck a post that was standing near the track. His head and back were considerably bruised but was expected to recover with no side effects. The other occurred when John Enas had a narrow escape on a Sunday while he and some other boys were riding a freight train that was switching in the yards. John was at the end of the car and tried to jump off while it was moving and fell across the railing. He rolled off just in time to miss the wheels, but didn't get far enough to keep the brake from striking him, which bruised him considerably about the head.
One Saturday night in April 1901, Constable B.J. Kuykendall had quite a time with some parties who were trying to release a prisoner from the calaboose. When Mr. Kuykendall arrived at the calaboose the parties attacked him with a knife, cutting him on the hand. He finally quieted them, however.
Three businesses changed hands in April 1901. D.D. Thames of Canton purchased a lot from Mrs. George W. Scott and planned to erect a nice brick business house. Mrs. Scott was also planning to build a brick adjoining Mr. Thames. Mr. Brady purchased the interest of J.W. Carr in the business of Tunnell & Carr. The third exchange was the old Henderson hotel building that was sold to Dr. H. Rather for $165.50.
The first Saturday in April 1901, was a lively day in Grand Saline owing to the election of school trustees. There were two tickets in the field, one put out by the labor union and the other by the citizens. The citizen's ticket carried by a majority of 27 with J.E. Blakeley and Dr. Darnell on it, and J.S. Covington and E.R. Kuykendall on the labor ticket.
In the spring of 1901, the progressive young men of Grand Saline met at the Meeks Opera House Friday night and organized a brass band. Prof. Wm. T. Cox of Terrell has been secured as teacher of the band. The following officers and directors were elected: Officers: Uly Meeks, president; W.B. Mullins, vice-president; Wm. Todd, secretary; R.E. Patterson, treasurer; Tom Crawford, manager. Directors: J.E. Persons, T.B. Meeks, J.L. Scoggin, W.E. Yarbrough, and Wm. Todd.
The instruments have been ordered. They are first-class and will cost $800. The young men have shown commendable spirit and enterprise in organizing the band, and should receive substantial encouragement from the citizens of the town in making the undertaking a success.
On 15 Jan 1903, the following article appeared in the Wills Point Chronicle: 'GRAND SALINE SALT CO. - The Richardson Salt Plant Reverts to Former Owner - The suit against the Grand Saline Salt Co. recently filed in this county to foreclose a mortgage lien, has been withdrawn, the matter having been adjusted by agreement. By the terms of the settlement the property reverts to Mrs. W.R. Collier and her daughter, Willie Richardson, of whom Mrs. W.R. Collier is also guardian. It is understood by most of our readers that this is the plant formerly owned by S.Q. Richardson, deceased, and Mrs. Collier was his wife. T.B. Meeks of Grand Saline has been made manager of the business. Lively & Stanford of Canton and W.C. Wynne of this place represented the plaintiffs."
The anniversary meeting of the Van Zandt County Medical Association took place in Grand Saline on Friday, 8 Jan 1903. It was the banner meeting of the society, and from the way the local physicians who attended spoke of it, the association was second to none in the world in point of interest, fraternity, science and good all around usefulness. The meeting was held in the K. of P. Hall, and after an all-day session, the members, visitors, wives and sweethearts were taken to the hotel, where there was spread the most sumptuous of banquets, while sweet music was furnished by Prof. Ault's orchestra. The association at that time was one year old and was organized with five members. After a year it had a membership of thirty-five, and was a regularly affiliated society of the Texas State Medical Association. The following officers were elected for the ensuing year: Dr. J.M. Fry, Wills Point, president; Dr. T.A. Martin, Grand Saline, first vice president; Dr. M.L. Cox, second vice president; Dr. O.M. Marman, Grand Saline, secretary; Dr. E.S. Collier, Wills Point, treasurer.
The program was arranged for the next meeting which was to be held in Grand Saline Friday, 6 Mar 1903: "Incipient tuberculosis", Drs. J.M. Fry and W.H. Monday; "Appendicitis," Drs. T.a. Martin and O.M. Marman; "Fractures of the inferior maxilla," Drs. M.L. Cox and W.R. Terry; "Gun-shot wounds of the abdomen," Drs. S.C. Milliken and D.C. Darnell; "Hysteria," Drs. M.H. Neely and J.M. Still. The following new members were received: Drs. W.H. Monday, W.R. Lindley, Terrell; Dr. S.E. Milliken, Dallas; Dr. M.L. Cox, Martins Mill; Dr. J.M. Still, Kemp.
The doctor named as secretary of the Medical Association, Dr. O.M. Marman was born in Jefferson, Texas, in 1872. His family came from Atlanta, Georgia. His mother was a Franks, and his father was W.R. Marman who was born and reared in Georgia and in 1904, was a traveling salesman living in Grand Saline. W.R. Marman married Fannie Franks in 1868, and had three children. One who was a merchant in Lindale, R.G. Marman, another who was a druggist in Grand Saline. Oscar Milton Marman was educated at Mineola, Kilgore and St. Louis, Missouri and had received a high degree of educational advantage. He began his practice in 1899. In 1904, he was the surgeon in Grand Saline for the T 7 P Railroad as well as a regular practitioner and surgeon. He was a member of the M.E. Church, South, a member of A.F. & A.M., K. of P., Macabees, K. & L. of H., and W.O.W.
In 1904, the man that was major of Grand Saline was Edward M. Chrestman. He was born 21 Sep 1872, four miles southeast of Grand Saline. The grandfather's name was John W. Chrestman and he was a farmer coming from North Carolina in 1845, to make his home in Van Zandt County. Mayor Chrestman's father's name was L.M. Chrestman, commonly known as "Pone." He also was a farmer and on 24 Sep 1872, Lark M. Chrestman married Louise M. Allenzi who was born in Arkansas and reared in Tennessee. Mayor Chrestman was educated in the country schools and at Summer Hill Select School, Omen, Texas. He was elected Mayor April 1903, and filled that office with dignity and satisfaction to the public. On 24 Dec 1893, he married Miss Flora Simpson. He was a Baptist and a W.O.W. He acquired a neat home in Grand Saline along with other realty there. He was identified with the salt manufacture of the city, and was faithful in the discharge of the duties of his office. Louise M. Chrestman died 29 Jan 1912, and Edward M. passed away in 1963. They are both buried in the Sand Flat Cemetery.
Grand Saline was fortunate in having Dr. Luther Alton Neil, Dentist, locate in her midst. In 1895, Dr. Neil took his first course in dentistry in Vanderbilt University, following shortly with a second course. He practiced in the meantime, but in 1901-02, he took an additional course in the Chicago College of Dental Surgery, where he graduated. He was thoroughly in love with his profession and was determined to secure and practice for the benefit of his patients the best equipment and methods approved by the profession up until that time. He was a member of several secret societies.
Wiley A. Davidson was one of the rising young lawyers of Van Zandt County. He was a son of Leaston Davidson, (see the town of Davidson) and a brother of Judge John W. Davidson. He was born and reared in the county and had many friends who rejoiced in his growing prosperity.
The following ad appeared in a 1904, Southland; "The Difference - In buying Hockwald's Photowork and others. 1st. My work does not fade. 2nd. It is water proof. 3rd. None but good material used. 4th. You are pleased or no charge made. 5th. My customers are walking advertisements. 6th. Studied my profession two years before practicing it.
"Since establishing myself in Grand Saline, 8 Sep 1902, it is with pleasure I can say that I have enjoyed a good patronage and see my trade growing every day. And for same extend thanks to my many customers in and around Grand Saline. Soliciting your further patronage, which will be profitable and pleasant on both sides. I remain, Respectfully, Your Photographer, I. Hockwald Grand Saline, Texas."
Three other ads appearing in the 1904, Southland: "THE PALACE Barber Shop! Grand Saline, Texas. Snow & Edgar - Proprietors. Shaving, Haircutting, and Shampooing in all the Latest Styles. The Acme Steam Laundry of Fort Worth is one of the best in the State of Texas. We are agents, and guarantee good work. Basket leaves every Wednesday and returns Saturday."
"F.H. Martin- Dealer in General Merchandise. Dry Goods, hats, caps, boots, shoes and notions, staple and fancy groceries and feed. Does his own buying, and personally supervises the details of the business. Buys close, makes quick sales and is content with small profits. We believe in Van Zandt and especially in Grand Saline, and extend a cordial welcome to all good people. Good homes and large success await the upright and industrious. Grand Saline Texas."
"The Whaley Hotel - Grand Saline, Texas. I.R. Whaley, Proprietor. Rats $1.00 a day, located near depot and also convenient to business. GIVE US A TRIAL."
On Monday night, 3 Oct 1904, Mr. Will Andrews, who represented the Waters-Pierce Oil Co. was seriously hurt. He was unloading a car of oil into a tank and when it was about emptied he got on the railroad car with a torch to look in. The gas that had accumulated exploded, throwing Mr. Andrews about twenty feet and striking his head on a car. a severe gash was cut on the back of his head and for some time he was unconscious. Medical attention was given him promptly, but as of the next morning he had only partly recovered consciousness. The report of the explosion could have been heard for two miles and a flame of fire shot up many feet in the air, lighting the entire town. The boarding car in care of Ernest Wilhite was standing near and was considerably shaken up. Mr. Andrews borrowed the torch from Mr. Wilhite, who supposed that he wanted to look after a leak under the tank.
A description of Grand Saline in 1904: "...It has a population of about 2000. It is compactly and well built in brick. It has an average number of churches, a large and growing school and are soon to erect a new and commodious school building. It has a goodly number of elegant homes. It has a gin, a bank, bottling works, an excellent and wide-awake newspaper, the Grand Saline Sun, a splendid lumber yard, operated by our genial friend, Mr. J.E. Persons, with a full variety of other lines, dry goods, groceries, drugs, hardware, furniture, restaurants and hotels. It has an excellent telephone exchange, two railroads, the T.& P. and Texas Short Line. About one mile distant is a thrifty and growing suburb, Rhodesburg. It has a large and growing school community citizenship. Mr. D.D. Richardson has a commercial establishment there with a growing business, also a lake, bath house, etc. This suburb is noted for its quality of soil for truck growing and light farming. The country round about is fast settling up, prices are increasing and everything is buoyant and attractive."
The community mentioned above also had an ad in the 1904, Southland: "RHODESBURG - is a suburb of Grand Saline. Situated one mile west on the T.& P. Ry. It is well situated with a good school well organized, good water, freestone cold and sweet, secured from shallow wells. A good community of citizens and with easy access to Grand Saline. The land was owned by Mr. Tom Alexander. He has sold many homes, but still has about 200 lots of this land for sale. It lies elegantly, is high and has good southern exposure. He cordially invites correspondence prices reasonable, parcels and terms to suit. Address, Thomas Alexander, Grand Saline, Texas."
This suburb was named for Jacob Chesby Rhodes. This family was of Scotch extraction. They came to America and settled in South Carolina in an early day. They were farmers, and in ante-bellum days were slave holders. John Rhodes, the father of Jacob, was born in Newberry District, South Carolina, but died in Van Zandt County August 1901, at the age of 86. Jacob was born in Marshall County, Mississippi, 11 Nov 1850. He was reared on the farm under the conditions then prevailing. He attended the common schools and Cooper Institute. He at once became a teacher, and followed that calling for many years, teaching mostly in Van Zandt County. He left the school room for a time to engage in commercial pursuits. he succeeded in both lines well. In November 1880, he married Miss Julia F. James in Mineola, Texas. With small exceptions they have lived all the time in Van Zandt County. In 1904, they had five children. Two of his daughters, Carrie and Maggie were specially qualified as teachers and in 1904, had the honor of teaching the Rhodesburg School. Mr. Rhodes for many years had been a Socialist, and many of his neighbors were also of that faith in the suburb named Rhodesburg in his honor. Mr. Rhodes was well versed in political movements of the county and lived much in his library amid current literature, devoted to economics.
The Socialist Party of Texas was organized in August 1904, at Rhodesburg. Approximately 4,000 to 6,000 people, some of whom formerly were militant Populist organized the Socialist Party of Texas after listening to nationally prominent speakers such as Benjamin F. Wilson of California and Frank P. O'Hara of Missouri, they selected W.O. Simpson of Dallas as party chairman and W.C. Holloway of Alba, Wood County as secretary. Next they chose a slate of candidates for state offices including L.L. "Lee" Rhodes of Grand Saline for lieutenant governor and his brother "Jake" for presidential elector. Then they adopted a radical platform composed under the supervision of Lee Rhodes and appointed a campaign committee headed by Jake Rhodes.
The Socialist Party received only limited support in Van Zandt County. In the 1904, election Lee Rhodes received 187 votes for lieutenant governor, mostly from Grand Saline; then two years later he polled 165 ballots for the same office. As the gubernatorial nominee in 1908, Jake Rhodes posed 351 against Democrat Thomas M. Campbell, while Lee served on the state executive committee. Thus, despite annual encampments at Grand Saline, the party won few converts.
The following is part of an article in the Wills Point Chronicle 14 Dec 1905: "Some eighteen years ago one of the editors of the Chronicle was on a train traveling west. A corpulent man was aboard who had known Grand Saline in its wild and wooly days. He was telling some blood curdling events that had transpired there and wound up with some gruesome statement that a person was in danger to pass there even on a train. During the stop some fellows, too full of whiskey, emptied their six-shooters in the air. Our oleaginous companion cried out, 'What did I tell you? Everybody down.' He at once proceeded to wedge his two hundred and twenty pounds between two seats, to the amusement of a car full of passengers. The train pulled out and by the time we got to the tank at Poletown he had extricated himself and puffing and blowing, between breath, gave Van Zandt County a general rounding up. He wound up by requesting the crowd to see that he was buried in some other county if he should die here."
In 1908, a doctor moved to Grand Saline from Colfax. Dr. V. Bascom Cozby was born 29 Sep 1875. He attended school at Colfax and later taught school there. He was a veteran of the Spanish-American war, in which he served as a member of Volunteer-Infantrymen. He studied medicine and practiced a little on the side while he was teaching school at Colfax. Coming to Grand Saline he "hung out his shingle" in 1908.
When the first World War broke out, Dr. Cozby was made a first lieutenant in the medical corps. Returning from the war, he was elected Mayor of Grand Saline in 1919. Later Dr. Cozby rose to Major in the National Guards. He served Grand Saline well, helping bring into materialization some noteworthy civic improvements. Then, in 1938, he decided he's held the office of Mayor long enough, and requested his name be left off the ballot. The voters wrote it in. That was in 1938, and he continued to serve as Mayor several more years. Cozby V. Bascom died 29 Nov 1949, and is buried in Woodside Cemetery.
The population of Grand Saline was about 2500 in 1911, according to the Texas Magazine. In an article by William Leshner he describes the town: "Grand Saline is in the northeastern part of Van Zandt County, on the main line of the Texas & Pacific Railway, and is also the terminus of the Texas Short Line Railway extending to Alba. The latter is a home enterprise local people having supplied the capital and having the offices in their home town.
"The fact that this railway is owned locally shows that the citizens are enterprising and that the community is a good one to settle in.
"...It has two strong banks, whose combined capital and surplus is $97,000; two weeklies, lumber yard, warehouse, waterworks, bottling works, good public school, five churches and four of the largest salt works in the state..."
The lumber yard mentioned was probably the Salt City Co. Hardware that existed in Grand Saline for many years. A man that worked as a clerk in that establishment in 1911, was James Mathis Watson who was born 15 Sep 1874, in Garden Valley, Smith County, Texas, the son of Abner "Albert" Citnew "A.C." Watson, born in Savannah, Georgia, who were married in Newman, Cowetta County, Georgia. Mathis was five years old when his mother, Susan, died in 1879, leaving four small children, Luther, Wilma, Ida and Mathis. They were cared for by their beloved Negro Mammy, Jenny, who stayed with their family until she died. A year after Susan's death, A.C. married Ariadna Whittaker, an educated young lady from a wealthy and aristocratic family from Nacogdoches, Texas. Her father bestowed on A.C. a dowry of about 400 acres of land in Van Zandt County where the Watson family settled. Ariadna's father, Matthew G. (Matt) Whittaker, was deeded this acreage by a Spanish Land Grant. Descendants of this family live on this land today.
The Watson farm adjoined the Hatton farm and on 8 Oct 1900, Mathis Watson married Virginia Ann (Jennie) Hatton, born 4 Mar 1879, in the Corinth Community, daughter of James Thomas and Mary Cimantha Young Hatton (see town of Hatton). In the 1890s, Thomas Hatton moved to Grand Saline. Hatton Street, where he had many houses built, is named in his honor. Thomas and Jennie were blessed with three daughters, Lottie Maurine, and twins Zora Wyndoleen and Frances Kathleen. It was at the time of the twins' birth that Mathis went to work as a clerk at the Salt City Co. Hardware, later being a pioneer in the institution of taxi service, which in those days was referred to as the "Jitney", and through the days of the greatest needs of that service he owned two Ford automobiles, having Henry Bailey on hire as his second driver. Before bus service was started there was a dire need for people to be driven to Canton, Tyler, Alba, Greenville and such towns which were not accessible via the Texas & Pacific Railroad.
Mathis had many opportunities to play cupid and he was known to say that he usually knew when couples were going to get married before they did, just from their conversations in his back seat. He owned the first Ford car in Grand Saline, purchasing it in Dallas in 1912. W.L. Snow had the first "Model A" Ford in town in the mid-1920s. Mathis and Flem Blakeley paid for the first Church of Christ building in Grand Saline and he and Jennie were devout and faithful to that church throughout life. Mathis Watson's latter years were spent in the employ of the Grand Saline school system. He was proud of not missing a day "at school" in the seventeen years with it. His pet hobby was woodwork: building furniture, free-standing lawn swings, and shelving. He had a workshop set up in the school and taught many students his knowledge of the trade. Another lifetime pastime he enjoyed was basket weaving. He would go out to the old home place, cut down a small, tender white oak, trim it, shave it down to size, soak it, and deftly form all shapes, from egg baskets to bushel baskets, for family and friends.
Jennie Hatton Watson owned a millinery business throughout life, except for a period of the 1920s, when she moved to Dallas. During that interim she, too, was a pioneer, in the establishment of the newly started cosmetic business, traveling throughout the south for a few years with the Coty Cosmetic Company, introducing to the Drug Stores the innovative new creams and make-ups just being started in that era. She returned to Grand Saline in 1930, and lived the rest of her years there, again enjoying her millinery shop throughout her life. Mathis Watson died at the age of 91 on 28 Mar 1966, two years prior to Jennie's death on 5 Feb 1968. They are both buried at Woodside Cemetery.
The oldest daughter of Mathis and Jennie Watson, Lottie Maurine graduated in the 1917, Grand Saline High School Class, and then from Tyler Commercial College. Her first job was as a stenographer and time keeper for Morton Salt Company. Lottie was a talented pianist, her preference of style being the Ragtime of the "twenties" in which she excelled. As a teenager before sound, she would play background music for the films at the Grand Saline Picture Show.
On 14 Feb 1929, Lottie married Louis Raymond Hamm in Dallas. They had no children. He retired from Magnolia Petroleum Co. in Dallas in 1955, and died 19 Sep 1968. She lived many years in Dallas and enjoyed her club and social world and was very active in the Trinity Heights Church of Christ in Dallas. In 1982, she was heard to say "I'm 81 and still having fun!"
In 1929, oil was discovered in Van and afterwards independent entrepreneurs and five New York companies, which later consolidated secured land between Grand Saline and the Sabine River, but both failed to strike oil. But Grand Saline did prosper as a result of the oil discovery. By 24 Oct 1929, 12 petroleum supply companies, five lumber yards and several warehouses opened and G.W. Greene opened an "electric shop."
To meet demands for improved transportation, the Texas and Pacific Railroad increased shipments from 12 to 40 cars, Delta Airways scheduled regular stops on a graded runway and Red Line taxis carried passengers to Van. Western Union opened an office in the M&M Hotel and Southwestern Bell Telephone rebuilt local lines. A "White way" -- street lighting -- was installed in business and residential areas.
During the Depression the county received federal aid to help alleviate hard times, and in 1935, because road improvements were needed, a $45,000 WPA granted gravel and asphalt streets in Grand Saline. Persons from around the county were employed to build sewers in town and in 1937, sewing rooms opened in Grand Saline.
The following is a list of a few of the businesses in Grand Saline in the early 1940s. Oil Field Lumber Co., Inc., Kelly Vick, Manager; Stone's 5 cents to $1.00 store; H & H Grocery, Hunt's Insurance Agency; Loreen's Beauty Shop, Salt City Company; Lawrence Grocery & Market; Motor Shop, Jack Miller, Prop.; M & M Hotel Cafe; Harris Auto Parts and Grocery; Texaco Service Station, A.H. Welch, Jr., Owner; Morton Salt Co.; Carter Cleaner, T.O. Carter, owner; Glover's Grocery and Market, Asbury Glover, Owner; Anderson's Eat Shop; Foster's Dept. Store; Grand Saline Hardware and Furniture Co.; Marlin Clower Refrigerator Service; Nations-Rucker; Grand Saline Floral Co.; Pegg's Hatchery Community Grocery; City Pharmacy; A.E. Poe's Grocery; West Side Service Station; K. Wolen's Department Store; Perry Bros.; the Southwestern Gas and Electric Company; Jarvis Department Store; Darby Department Store, and the Grand Saline Sun.
Each year in June, Grand Saline holds a Salt Festival with a parade featuring the Salt Festival Queen and her Court and many floats representing different businesses and organizations of the area, various participating marching bands, Trail Riding Clubs, Shriners, Clowns, etc. There is always lots of good "country cooking" to enjoy as well as great Gospel music to listen to. There are rodeos, displays of memorabilia, crafts, etc. You can take a tour of the Salt Palace, the only salt house in the United States. There is street dancing held during the festival after the rodeos with well known professional entertainers providing the music.
With a modern, well equipped school, several different denominations represented by many attractive church buildings, and an industrious enterprising group of businessmen, Grand Saline is looking forward to a bright future.
Back to Post Offices Index Page Back to the Genealogical Research Group's Home Page You are the person to visit this page since June 7, 2006
This page last updated 26 August 2006
Van Zandt County Genealogical Research Group Website