Early County Doctors Page Van Zandt County Genealogical Society
These are a few brief biographies of the early Van Zandt County physicians who practiced medicine in the "good old days" where often they traveled to their patients by horse and buggy, through all kinds of weather. They were highly respected in their respective communities and throughout the county. These biographies were extracted by Mable Cook from the minutes of the Van Zandt County Medical Society. If anyone has more information on these doctors, please let us know by contacting Sibyl and we will be happy to add the information and thank you for sharing.
Dr. William A. Allen
Dr. William Alexander Allen was born in Monroe County, Mississippi, on December 25, 1842. He came with his family to Texas in 1852. They settled on a farm in the eastern part of Van Zandt County when Cedar Grove on the western border of the county was a thriving village and Canton only had two stores. Young Allen grew up under prevailing conditions on the farm. The old Field School furnished him a well remembered alma mater. At the age of eighteen he volunteered in Confederate service and served for four years. After the hostilities had ceased, he returned to his home to find the county despoiled and over run with carpet baggers and jay hawkers. He moved to the Indian Territory now known as Oklahoma. His first marriage was to Miss Anne Thompson to whom one child was born. After her death, he married Miss Emma Boudinott, a daughter of Col W. P. Boudinott of the Cherokee Nation. She lived only ten years. Three children were born to them. While in the Indian Territory in 1867, the doctor began the practice of medicine and later returned to Van Zandt County and located near Silver Lake and resumed his practice of medicine where he built up a large and lucrative practice. He gathered about him a great deal of land, stock, etc. Later he married Mrs. Lizzie Davis in Van Zandt County. To this union two sons were born. He later married Mrs. Mary Helms and they had three sons. He died on 05 Jan 1926 and was buried at Sand Flat Cemetery.
Back to Early Doctors Index Page Back to the Genealogical Society Home Page You're the 1262person to visit this page.
This page last updated 17 May 2007