Early County Doctors Page Van Zandt County Genealogical Society
These are a few brief biographies of the early Van Zandt County physicians who practiced medicine in the "good old days" where often they traveled to their patients by horse and buggy, through all kinds of weather. They were highly respected in their respective communities and throughout the county. These biographies were extracted by Mable Cook from the minutes of the Van Zandt County Medical Society. If anyone has more information on these doctors, please let us know by contacting Sibyl and we will be happy to add the information and thank you for sharing.
Dr. Benjamin Benard Brandon
Dr. Benjamin Benard Brandon was born December 29, 1878 in Roxton, Texas. He was one of four children born to James Dewit and Anna Walter Brandon. The Brandons moved from Lamar to Van Zandt County and settled on a farm located on Myrtle Springs Road. He married Mattie L. Estes, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Burges Henson Estes, on October 8, 1900. Ben was encouraged by his father-in-law to study medicine. He enrolled at Baylor University Medical School in 1906. After graduating in 1910, he interned one year there and then returned to his home town, Edgewood, where he started his practice. He took post graduate courses at Bellevue Hospital in New York and Tulane University in New Orleans. Dr. B.B. Brandon gained national recognition for his work on malaria. His biography was published in the American Historical Society's "Texas Under Five Flags" and "Who's Who in America."
Professional affiliations included the American Medical Association, Texas State Medical Society and North Texas Medical Society. He was a founding member of the Van Zandt County Medical Society. Dr. Brandon organized and served as president of the first Chamber of Commerce for Edgewood in the 1930's. He served as Mayor of Edgewood for 10 years. He was active in numerous civic activities, participation in the Mason Lodge. He belonged to the Baptist Church and taught the Men's Bible Class. Two children were born to Dr. and Mrs. Brandon but they died in infancy. Mattie Brandon died in 1939. Several years later, Dr. Brandon married Mrs. Verlin Sherwood. Dr. Brandon died February 6, 1955, and was buried at Oak Hill Cemetery in Edgewood.
Back to Early Doctors Index Page Back to the Genealogical Society Home Page You're the 1241person to visit this page.
This page last updated 17 May 2007