Old Family Photo Collections Van Zandt County Genealogical Society
The photos on these pages are generously contributed by Milda Mason of Alto, New Mexico. Her ancestors were early settlers in Van Zandt County and these wonderful old photos are much appreciated. In addition, there is a very interesting story on this family and the Bottoms family on our "Old Tales, Stories Page" that you don't want to miss. If you would like to share your old family photos by placing them on this web site, please contact Sibyl Creasey for instructions.
Sarah Elizabeth "Betty" Scott Moore, 1881 Submitted by Milda Mason
(The tintype has been tinted)
Betty Scott was born February 22, 1860 in Scott Community, later called Fairview, in Van Zandt County, Texas.
She was the daughter of Henry and Sarah Elizabeth Scott.
Henry and Sarah Scott came from Kentucky and settled near Wills Point in Van Zandt County before 1860.
Henry and Sarah Elizabeth Scott had an even dozen children all born in Van Zandt County:
1. Sarah Elizabeth b. February 22, 1860. Betty married William Bomar "Bome" Moore August 13, 1876 on the front porch of her parents home.
(see tintype of Betty's husband Bome Moore)
(see Betty's family group picture with a list of her children)
2. William R. Scott b May 19, 1861 died August 23, 1887, and is buried in the Scott family cemetery on his father's farm which has recently been renamed Johnson Cemetery.
3. Mary Frances Scott b December 18 1862. She married Leonard Marbury Steed July 18, 1880 and had three children. She died March 28, 1929 and is buried in Myrtle Springs Cemetery.
4. James Henry Scott b December 10 1864. He married Finetta T. "Nettie" Bridges April 30. 1891 and had three children. He died June 27, 1924 and is buried in White Rose Cemetery.
Henry C. Scott at this point joined the Army of the South (CSA) where he attained the rank of Major.
5. George Washington Scott b March 7 1868. He married Helen Malissa Austin May 17, 1898, following his return from Checotah Indian Territory. I do not know when or where he died. I do have his picture.
6. Martha Scott b 1869 married Matt Harper and was known to be living in Fort Worth Texas in 1925.
7. Katherine "Kate" Scott b 1871 married Thomas A. Wilson September 24, 1891 and was known to be living in Kaufman County in 1925.
8. John T. Scott b 1873. John is known to be living in Vernon, Texas in 1920 with his brother Allen and in Salt Lake City Utah in 1925.
9. Alice Scott b 1876 married John W. Laney and was living in El Paso in 1925.
10. Allen C. Scott b December 1879 married Ollie Unknown about 1907 and was living in Vernon Texas in 1930 with 4 children.
11. Jesse W. Scott b about 1880 married Jeannie Hall July 25 1897 and was living in Vernon Texas in 1930.
12. Robert A. Scott b October 1881 married Mary H. Ellis January 19, 1898 and was living in Wills Point in 1930.
Henry C. Scott was born May 16 1836 in Kentucky and died January 12, 1892 and is buried on his farm in the Scott Family Cemetery.
Sarah Elizabeth Scott was born in 1836 in Kentucky. She is buried on the Scott Family Cemetery.
At one time there were about 30 graves, a fence and a gazebo in the Scott Family Cemetery.
It has in recent years been destroyed with only two graves remaining, those of Henry Scott and his son William .
At the time of enumeration last year the Scott Cemetery was renamed Johnson Cemetery.
Back to Family Photo Collections Page Back to the Genealogical Society Home Page
You're the 1431person to visit this page.
This page last updated 4 July 2007
Van Zandt County Genealogical Society Website maintained by