Wilson County Cemeteries
If you have additional information, corrections or links for the cemetery page please send to me at lblumb@gmail.com
Name Location Links/Miscellaneous
Beall Cemetery LaVernia. Off FM Road 1346, between La Vernia and St. Hedwig. Survey in USGW Archives
Cemetery Marker
Bird Cemetery Caddo  
Blessed Sacrament Cemetery Poth. 100 Sunshine Drive  
Cañada Verde Cemetery    
Canary Island Cemetery
(a.k.a. Castro Cemetery)
Floresville. Historical marker : "Established prior to 1732 by Canary Islanders who formed the first organized civil settlement in Texas at San Fernando de Bexar, now San Antonio." Located off U.S. 181 about two blocks north at Texas 97/F.M. 536 intersection (Plum & 10th Streets).  
De la Zerda Floresville. Located in what used to be the town of Lodi, now a residential area encompassed by the city of Floresville. Situated on the former lands of Nemencio de la Zerda, Sr., and Jose Maria Flores, on the banks of the San Antonio River. To get to De la Zerda Cemetery from Business Loop 181 South in Floresville (4th Street), turn right at Peach Street. Follow Peach Street until it dead ends at a home behind a gate. Turn left on the dirt road in front of the gate. The cemetery will be on the right at the far end of the property. Cemetery is in poor condition with most stones broken or missing. It sits beneath a large canopy of trees and any remaining headstones are almost impossible to read due to weathering and lack of light. Earliest recorded burial - 1877.  
De los Santos Cemetery Saspamco  
Demmer Cemetery Nixon  
Denhawken Cemetery 8291 FM 1347, Stockdale. Formerly known as Mesquite Prairie Cemetery, it was founded in 1904 by the German farmers who had recently moved to the area from Fayette and Lavaca counties in search of more land for their large families. the first burial was that of baby Hugo Steenken in 1906. The land was purchased from Wm Peters. First trustees were Chas. Boysen, Jake Maerz, and Carl Steenken. Florentino Quintanilla met with them representing the Hispanic community, who had purchased burial sites in the northern section. Maerz and Steenken each served the association for over forty years. Arnold Lembeck and Erna Wehmeyer were active officers for the next generation spanning over 30 years...."
Dewees Cemetery SW of Poth on east corner of FM Roads 541 and 1344.  
Eckert Cemetery
Emmanuel Assembly of God Cemetery Poth.  
Fairview Cemetery 3227 CR 107, Floresville. Tombstone Photos
Floresville City Cemetery Rte 181 across from Sacred Heart Cemetery Survey in USGW Archives
Floresville City Cemetery #2 Plum Street between 4th and 10th Streets, Floresville  
Garza-Valdez Cemetery Rte 181 (4th Street), Floresville.  
Gilley Cemetery Hwy 181, 10 miles from Floresville  
Graytown Cemetery   Survey in USGW Archives
Tombstone Photos
Harper Cemetery CR 405, between Stockdale and Floresville. Survey in USGW Archives
Immanuel Lutheran Church Cemetery LaVernia. Historical Marker : "This cemetery traces its beginnings to the formation of Immanuel Lutheran Church of LaVernia, which began in 1901. The congregation, mostly of German descent, soon found itself in need of a cemetery. In 1902, Gustav and Bertha Schroeder donated two acres of land to the church for that purpose. Members built a fence and held a formal dedication. The first burial was for Gabriele Hedwig Koepp, infant daughter of Franz and Augusta Koepp, in October 1902. Also buried here are early community and church leaders, and a number of military veterans from conflicts dating to World War I..."  
Keenan Cemetery Corner FM Roads 427 and 537, Floresville.  
Kicaster Community Cemetery LaVernia. Historical Marker : "The families of Isaac Crow, R. T. Spivey, Dr. W. R. Callaway, T. P. Camp, J. E. Watkins, Isom Ferguson, L. P. Pittman, and others began a farming settlement here in the 1860's. John James donated land for a schoolhouse (1872), where church services were also held. A. C. and Mary Anderson in 1887 gave more land for public use. Easterling Post Office opened in 1887, was soon renamed Kicaster for nearby creek, but closed in 1906. The school was phased out in 1940, and the churches moved away. Kicaster Cemetery, in use since the 1870's, now marks the site of the community."  
LaVernia United Methodist Church Cemetery LaVernia  
Leach Cemetery Off Nockenut Road from FM Road 1681.  
Lodi Cemetery
(a.k.a. Garza-Valdez Cemetery)
Floresville. Business Roate 181 (4th Street)  
Lutheran Cenetery 290445 N 0980405W Poth  
Marcelina Cemetery 510 County Road 404, Floresville. Formerly Marcelina Baptist Church Cemetery and Foster family cemetery. The original Marcelina Cemetery was the private burial plot for the family of Samuel H. Foster. The first person buried in the cemetery was Martin Donaho who died in 1882. When Mr. Foster sold the farm where the burial plot was located, he kept the one and one half acre cemetery. On May 18, 1901 Isaac and Melinda Sims sold six and one half acres to the Marcelina Baptist Church for use as church yard and cemetery. The new cemetery was fenced. This land was joined to the Foster family cemetery. In ensuing years, the fence between the two cemeteries disappeared and the two cemeteries became one. Survey in USGW Archives
Maxwell Cemetery    
McCracken Cemetery Union Valley. On private land near the point where Wilson, Guadalupe, and Gonzales county lines come together. About 3/4 mi. from the site of Old Albuquerque. Not on a public road, lying in the middle of a pasture, can be reached by following FM 1687 between Nixon and Hy 123 and taking one of two county roads leading in an easterly direction toward the corner of Wilson County, north of Union Valley. List of interments in Karon Mac Smith's local history, "On the Watershed of Ecleto and the Clear Fork of Sandies  
Montoya Cemetery    
Moore Family Cemetery Caddo  
Neyland Cemetery Between Seguin and Stockdate off Rte. 123 to CR 435. Set off on right.  
Nockenut Cemetery North East County. Historical Marker : "The community of Nockenut began in 1857, when a number of German and Polish immigrants settled in this area. Originally located in Guadalupe County, it became part of Wilson County after a boundary change in 1869. A post office opened in 1858 and by 1890 Nockenut was a thriving village with a population of 80. At is height, the town boasted homes, stores, a school, a church, a wagon yard, a cotton gin, and a cemetery. The origin of the town's name is the subject of several oral history accounts, most of which refer to variations on names of local trees. Nockenut began to decline after the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railroad bypassed it in 1906. By the end of the 20th century, the cemetery was the last physical reminder of the community." The Nockenut Cemetery opened in 1870 with the burial of Anna Maria Johnson Callander. The Hobbs Family dedicated this land and the burial ground that year. Tombstone Photos
Old Bird Cemetery Ecleto
Old Picosa Cemetery Graytown Tombstone Photos
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Cemetery Saspamco  
Palm Cemetery Stockdale. Private cemetery located approximately 100 meters southwest of St.
Mary's Catholic Cemetery, Stockdale
Tombstone Photos
Picosa Cemetery Floresville  
Picosa-Martinez Cemetery #2 Floresville. Take FM 536 out of Floresville for 3 miles until it intersect to the left. Continue on FM 536 for approximately 3 miles. CR 104 will be on the left, and the cemetery will be on the right. (Last stand of mailboxes on right just before drive into cemetery.)
Pleasant Valley Cemetery 676 CR 474, Stockdale.  
Polley Family Cemetery FM Road 539N. Historical Marker : "Joseph Henry Polley (1795-1869) was born in Whitehall, New York to Jonathan and Rachel Hubbard Polley. He later moved to Missouri, where he was a friend of Moses Austin, with whom he traveled to Texas in 1820. The next year, he returned to Texas with Stephen F. Austin as one of the original "Old 300" colonists. Polley settled in the Brazoria District and wed Mary Augusta Bailey, daughter of pioneer Brit Bailey. The couple built a home that they name Whitehall. Polley served as sheriff and assisted retreating settlers during the runaway scrape, 1836; Mary helped mold candles for use by the first Texas Congress. Polley moved his family in 1847 to this area, then a part of Guadalupe County. The family established a cemetery at this site in 1848. When Emeline Elizabeth Polley James, one of the eleven Polley children, died while giving birth, two years later, her daughter of the same name was interred next to her. The family completed the Whitehall home about 1850. Over the years, several family members, including Joseph Henry Polley, were laid to rest in the cemetery. Mary Bailey Polley (d. 1888), the family matriarch, was the last to be buried here." From Sutherland Springs, take FM 539 N. approx 2 - 3 mi. Cemetery is located on left hand side of road across the street from the old Joseph H. Polley Historical Home. Established in 1848, 10 graves. Survey in USGW Archives
Rector Chapel Cemetery FM Road 2772, LaVernia. Historical cemetery, Take FM 775 N. from Chihuahua Street in downtown La Vernia toward Seguin. Cross Cibolo Creek Bridge & go right on FM 2772. Go approximately 6/10ths mile, cemetery will be on right hand side of road. Survey in USGW Archives
Richter Family Cemeterynew item   Tombstone Photos
Robinson Family Cemetery Floresville  
Rock Church Cemetery Floresville. See Fairview Cemetery.
Sacred Heart Catholic Cemetery 2015 3rd Street, Floresville Tombstone Photos
San Lorenzo Cemetery LaVernia  
Sauceda Cemetery Off US 181, east and north of the bend in CR 150  
Shiloh Cemetery FM 539, Sutherland Springs Survey in USGW Archives
Smith Ranch Cemetery Stockdale  
St. Ann's Catholic Cemetery Off CR 236, just southeast of the intersection of FM Roads 541 and 1347. Kosciusko Survey in USGW Archives
Tombstone Photos
St. Anns Cemetery LaVernia. On FM-1346 between US-87 and CR-347 the towns of La Vernia and St. Hedwig.  
St. John's Lutheran Cemetery 1520 E. Westmeyer Street, Poth. Tombstone Photos
St. Luke Catholic Cemetery Loire. Off CR 116. Survey in USGW Archives
St Mary's Catholic Church Cemetery Stockdale Tombstone Photos
Steele Branch Cemetery Between FM 3335 and FM 1107; off FM 1107, Stockdale  
Stockdale Cemetery Stockdale. Historical Marker : "Before the Stockdale Cemetery was begun in the 1870s, most burials in the area took place in private, family graveyards. About 1873, however, a young man who was not related to any of the local settlers was thrown from his horse and killed. To provide a place for his burial, Dr. T.M. Batte gave one acre of land at this site, and the burial ground has been used by Stockdale citizens since that time. Additional acreage was purchased in 1881 and 1904, and in 1938 area resident Paul Ballard donated an acre of land for use by anyone who did not have a family plot and needed a place for burial. The earliest marked grave in the Stockdale Cemetery, that of Sallie A. Pope, is dated 1873. Many early settlers are buried here, including the town's founder, John R. King, and the first schoolteacher, Martin West. The cemetery also contains the graves of numerous war veterans and victims of a post-World War I flu epidemic...." Tombstone Photos
Sutherland Springs Cemetery FM 538, Sutherland Springs. Survey in USGW Archives
Tombstone Photos
Trial Family Cemetery Floresville  
Union Valley Cemetery Union Valley  
Ware-Cure/Griffin/Markum Cemetery   Survey in USGW Archives
Wheeler Cemetery # 1 Stockdale. The Wheeler Cemetery is located approximately five miles southwest of Stockdale in Wilson County. It is in a pasture about 1000 feet south of County Road 312. The land containing the Wheeler Cemetery was originally owned by John Edwin Wheeler, then sold to his brother, David Thwing (D. T.) Wheeler in the 1860s. It was here that D. T. lived and worked the land with his large family for several decades. D. T. and John also operated the Wheeler Mill on the Cibolo River, located close to the family home about one-half mile east of the cemetery. Having no public cemetery available at the time, D. T. set aside the plot on his farm for family burials. His second wife, Maniza and daughter, Lela, were among the first to be buried here in 1863. D. T.’s father, John, having brought the family to Texas in 1840, was buried here in 1867. D. T. and his third wife, Mary Watson, were buried here in February, 1892. His first wife, Mary E. Allen died of Cholera, with her infant, in San Antonio. They are believed to be buried in that city. The Wheeler and Butler families were close neighbors owning adjacent tracts of land, and developed a kinship when D. T. Wheeler’s daughter, Lenora Angelina (Angie) Wheeler married John Crittenden (J. C.) Butler in December of 1874. J. C. Butler died in June of 1892 and was the first member of the Butler family to be buried here. Thereafter the cemetery was sometimes known as “Wheeler-Butler Cemetery.” Other families with relatives buried in the cemetery are that of Allison, Carmichael, Harrell, and Lambert. In early 2008, the Wheeler, Butler, and Allison descendents formed the “Wheeler-Butler Cemetery Association” for the purpose of renovating and maintaining the cemetery.  
Wheeler Cemetery # 2 Stockdale. This small cemetery, consisting of only two known burials, is located off Highway 87 (SE Main Street) about one mile southeast of downtown Stockdale. It sits in a pasture on private property near the last home of Daniel Milner and Lavinia Hunter Wheeler, who are interred here. The Wheelers moved to Wilson County in the early 1880s, to be near their daughter, Emma Moore. Their entire married lives had been spent in Matagorda County, Texas where they parented eleven children. Tragically, nine of the children died at early ages, leaving only two surviving daughters by the time the Wheelers moved to Wilson County. Through the years there have been scattered reports that slaves might also have been buried in the plot. There are no other grave markers or evidence to support the existence of additional burials in the cemetery.  
     
     
     
Return to Home Page
Compilation Copyright 1998-2012 The TXGenWeb Project
2012-Present - Linda Blum-Barton