TULSA, TEXAS. Tulsa was southeast of Wink in southern Winkler County. Though the settlement was a product of the oil discovery of July 16, 1926, in the Hendricks oilfield,qv it never boomed. A townsite was laid out, and several buildings were erected. A Tulsa post office opened on August 20, 1927, with Cora Higgins as postmistress and closed in 1929, when the building was moved to Wink. Tulsa reported two businesses in 1931 and one in 1933, when the population was twenty-five. After 1948 the store closed, and the community, which was named for the Oklahoma boomtown, vanished.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: A History of Winkler County (Kermit, Texas: Winkler County Historical Commission, 1984).