1910

Welcome To

Winkler County Texas

2001

Wink, Texas


Oil Field Photos

Wink School

Lillian Horner Collection
Photos & Articles

Wink Newspaper Articles

Odom Boys


photo_orbison.jpg (62936 bytes)

Roy Orbison

The History of Wink, Texas would not be complete without mentioning the man that put Wink on the MAP, Roy Orbison. Roy moved to Wink as a young boy in 1946. Visit the Official site of Roy Orbison telling all about his history and his home town.


Rig Theater

Manager of the Rig Theater in Wink, Texas

Joe A. "Pop" DeIorio

Loretta M. "Mom" DeIorio


caa_wink.jpg (83756 bytes)

CAA Station at Wink, Texas in 1934.
This is Civil Aeronautics Administration when it first started helping planes fly from place to place

Photo submitted by: Robert Barclay


photo8.jpg (59724 bytes)

Douglas Grocery Store


day_drug.jpg (96579 bytes)

Day Drug


wolfsden_saloon.jpg (61502 bytes)

Wolf's Den Saloon in Boom Town Wink Texas


WINKTEXAS7.jpg (16698 bytes)

If you look in the background You can see all the oil rigs. 

 

LARGEST CITY BUILT IN TWO YEARS

  Boom day photos taken from the Winkler County Museum and used with permission.

Most of these donated photos were taken by Pinkerton Photo Studio

WINKTEXAS4.jpg (18262 bytes)WINK1.jpg (22940 bytes)WINK_TEXAS9.jpg (26883 bytes)WINK_TEXAS8.jpg (19424 bytes)wink2.jpg (17125 bytes)

WINK_TEXAS6.jpg (26435 bytes)WINK_TEXAS5.jpg (22755 bytes)WINK_TEXAS3.jpg (22004 bytes)WINK_TEXAS2.jpg (22525 bytes)wink5.jpg (14041 bytes)

WINK_TEXAS11.jpg (26966 bytes)WINK_DOWNTOWN.jpg (23534 bytes)SOURTHERN_CRUDE_OIL_PRODUCTION_COMPANY.jpg (23767 bytes)RIG_THEATER_WINK.jpg (22456 bytes)wink4.jpg (14296 bytes)

NORTHSIDE_MAINSTREET.jpg (19315 bytes)HUMBLE_OIL.jpg (22601 bytes)BAPTISIM_WINK.jpg (24687 bytes)wink1.jpg (15814 bytes)wink6.jpg (15220 bytes)

wink3.jpg (18119 bytes)wink7.jpg (20317 bytes)wink8.jpg (17082 bytes)wink9.jpg (15316 bytes)


Homestead of John Haley, Sr

This homestead was actually located in Loving County


History of the city of Wink

WINK_HISTORICALMARKER.JPG (63605 bytes)


Marker Title: Wink
Index Entry: Wink
Address: FM 115 and 3rd St.
City: Wink
County: Winkler

On land ruled up to 1874 by Comanche Indians, later part of famed "W" cattle ranch. Town "born" in 1926 when Roy Westbrook's Permian Basin oil discovery 1.5 miles to the north brought in 10,000 to 20,000 people, initiated area's conversion to industrialization. Named for Col. C. M. Winkler, famed Texas Confederate soldier.


Modern Day Wink Texas

musem.jpg (42502 bytes)

musem_side.jpg (38631 bytes)

downtown.jpg (35838 bytes)

Roy Orbison Museum

Roy Orbison Museum

Downtown Wink     

Country Lodge Steakhouse


HISTORICAL_MUSUEM2.JPG (51350 bytes)

HAMMER_GROCERY_WINK.JPG (536399 bytes)

Historical Museum

Old Hammer Grocery


Wink is on Monument Draw, State Highway 115, and Farm Road 1232, seven miles southwest of Kermit in southwestern Winkler County. It began in 1926, when oil was discovered in Hendrick oilfieldqv in Winkler County

By mid-1927 the Wink Townsite Company was selling lots in Horse Wells pasture of the T. G. Hendrick Ranch. The oil boom brought new people to Wink, causing a shortage of housing. 

Newcomers set up tents and built makeshift houses. Wink was originally named Winkler for the county. When a post office was requested, postal authorities notified the applicant that there was a Winkler, Texas, post office already in operation.  The citizens shortened the name to Wink and received a post office in 1927. 

That year the first public school was organized, and a temporary building was constructed. A Sunday school was started by November 1927, and the population of the town was reported at 3,500. By 1929 that number climbed to 6,000. 

The boom brought lawlessness-bootlegging, prostitution, gambling-to Wink. Even the city government, which was organized on June 4, 1928, came under the control of a well-organized underworld. On October 16, 1928, District Judge Charles Klapproth declared the incorporation election void, and the city government was reorganized.

 In December of that year the first municipal building was constructed; it was a jail. In 1929 the Texas-New Mexico Railway built its tracks from Wink Junction to Wink, connecting the town to Monahans and to New Mexico.

 In the 1930s the boom declined; the population hovered under 4,000, and the number of businesses fluctuated between fifty and 180. By 1933 the town was legally incorporated. 

Five hospitals and fifteen doctors served injured oilfield workers, expectant mothers, and epidemic victims. 

Law and order became the rule. Throughout the 1940s the population continued to decline from 1,945 to 1,521, and the number of businesses decreased from 130 to forty. 

In December 1947 Winkler County State Bank opened in Wink. Wink entered the 1950s a stable community with a population of just over 1,500. The number of businesses varied in the decade from twenty-five to fifty. In 1958 the railroad from Wink Junction to Wink was abandoned. During the early 1960s the population rose to over 1,800 but dipped to under 1,200 by 1968

 The number of businesses jumped between fifty-five and twenty. 

In July 1960 the federal government approved an application by Wink for more than a million dollars in urban renewal funds to upgrade and rehabilitate 221 acres within the city limits.  National attention focused on the small oil town, which used the money for paving and curb and gutter work. 

The population continued to decline to under 1,200 in the 1970s and 1980s. In the late 1970s the oil economy improved, but the number of businesses slipped to a low of five by the late 1980s. At the end of the 1980s Wink operated on a limited budget, based on low tax rates. In 1990 Wink remained a small oil town with a population of 1,189.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Wylene Kirk, "Early Post Offices and Towns in the Permian Basin Area," Texas Permian Historical Annual 1 (August 1961). Roger M. and Diana Davids Olien, Oil Booms (Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1982). A History of Winkler County (Kermit, Texas: Winkler County Historical Commission, 1984).

Julia Cauble Smith

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Last Updated: Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Copyright 2007 by Kay Woods-Lopez

Comments? Questions? E-Mail Me!