Dr. Joseph Henry Nelson family
Photos and information on this page submitted by: Marty Cash
Dr. Joseph Henry Nelson
Dr. Joseph Henry Nelson was born 17 August 1874 at Chambers County, Alabama.
He died 28 July 1935 in Eliasville, Young County, Texas and is buried in the
Eliasville cemetery. He married Vanada E. Goodrum Nelson.
She was born 11 January 1872 at Mexia, Limestone County, Texas.
Vanada died in 1961 at Woodson, Throckmorton, Texas and is buried at
Lovelady, Houston County, Texas. She was the daughter of Thomas Van
and Melvina Hicks Goodrum.
Dr. Joseph Henry Nelson received his medical education at the Memphis
Hospital Medical College with a M.D. degree in 1901. He began the practice
of medicine at Weldon, Houston County, Texas where he remained until 1922.
Dr. Nelson moved with his wife and three daughters: Hazel, Ruth and
Florence "Freckles" to Eliasville for the remainder of his life.
He was a member of the Stephens-Shackelford-Throckmorton County
Medical Society, the State Medical Association and American
Medical Association. He had been a local surgeon for the
Wichita Falls & Southern Railway Co.
In addition to this medical practice, he was owner and proprietor
of the Nelson Drug Store in Eliasville from 1924 until his death in 1935.
Dr. Joseph Henry Nelson was a member of the
Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias fraternities and the church of Christ.