Young County TXGenWeb
Bitter Creek Community
|The Bitter Creek Community was located in the extreme northwest part of Young County, approximately eight miles west of Olney off Highway 210.
It was a cluster of farms located on Bitter Creek. For a time in the early 1900's it had a 18 member church and a three teacher community school, which consolidated into the Olney and Mergargel schools.
There were three different school locations.
The first was in the northeast corner of the Texas Emigration & Land Company Survey #305.
The second in the T. E. & L. Company Survey #95, near its north boundary line, about half way between its northwest corner and its northeast corner.
The third and last school was in the T. E. & L. Company Survey #82, and near the west bounrary line, about half way between its northwest and southwest corners.
Today nothing remains of this community.
submitted by: Dorman Holub